Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Quick Steve edit to Michelle, no one will notice,then I will delete the post😂😂

Done. Losing the plot again.:wacko:

I know this one for a change. I'll have to find my photo however to identify the division......

Pete.

• Admin

I’ve got a cracking photo of the family by this memorial, when the boys were young. Will look it out. Tom appears to have refilled his pockets with something, it looks very strange! 08ED0179-9203-418A-8F78-7BBD87F7B2E0.jpeg

My "ironically" was a slight clue.

I'm amazed that someone hasn't identified my wonky Salient monument yet. 

We have, but we are just keeping mum. Just in case some of the other inmates want a go....

I thought perhaps that might be the case. Most of my small collection of photos are pretty easily identifiable. 

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I thought perhaps that might be the case. Most of my small collection of photos are pretty easily identifiable. 

Nothing wrong with that; I'd suggest with this one that isn't the case, despite having somewhere very heavily visited close by. I'd been at least twice before it was pointed out to me by somebody who really knows what they are talking about. I'll try and find my photo of it to identify the division; I'm just recovering from a splendid weekend in Birmingham where everyone was wonderfully friendly. I managed to find an excellent curry establishment that my mate hadn't been to and a coffee house that bakes its own croissants and who are even more obsessed with the beans than I am. Result.

F. Owls.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in my hometown Pete. You're never very far away from a good curry house here that's for sure. 

I really must try to attend next year.

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

You're never very far away from a good curry house here that's for sure

I found that the vast choice was the problem. I wanted somewhere in the centre so we didn't need to wander out to Sparkbrook but not one of the celebrity-TV-chef-remorgage-Owls-Towers-to-cover-the bill establishments in the trendy Jewellery Quarter. I chanced upon Keg and Grill, just the other side of the Mailbox development from our hotel. It was excellent; we went back for tea on Saturday night. The mixed grill was mountainous and the lamb bhuna brilliant; just not one after the other.

There are two very good ones on the Pershore Road, not far from the Tally Ho. The Masala Merchant, and the Kolkata Lounge. My favourite place is in Poplar Road, Kings Heath, again not that far away from Tally Ho; The Spice Merchant. Top notch food and not silly prices. 

34 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The Spice Merchant. Top notch food and not silly prices. 

Seconded,but last visit was BC

Edited by Knotty

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Seconded,but last visit was BC

They're still excellent. My mate and I are regulars there; when I say regulars I mean pretty much every Friday, after a visit to Chaddersley Corbett, especially in the fishing close season. 

Which other threads provide restaurant reviews while identifying the 34th Division memorial at Langemark? We reach the parts other posts do not reach.

I find the memorial interesting but the pill box fascinating. It is very battered, looks as though it's taken a few hits but is very strong. It looks as though it was thown together in a hurry using a pebbly aggregate unlike the bunkers in the nearby German cemetery, but commands the low ridge in front and the path of the stream which flows past it. Attacking troops would be clear against the horizon as they crossed the ridge and would be enfiladed as they tried to cross the beek. If it sounds like I know what I am talking about it is because @Chris_Baker told me, he managed to encapsulate the nature of the fighting in the salient during the second half of 1917. And I bet he's got a perspective on Brummie curry establishments too.

Pete.

Thanks for putting meat on the bones Pete. (No curry reference intended)

20230326_201456.jpg.0bf0499ae2b55aabee3759b720baaf61.jpg

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

meat on the bones

I prefer mine off the bone to be honest. I visited the site in the dry but what it must have been like in late autumn 1917 doesn't bear thinking about. By that time the tactics for dealing with pill boxes were established as I understand it but the mud must have been appalling and would have made taking the pill box a huge feat. Perhaps that is why the memorial is there.

Pete.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I prefer mine off the bone to be honest. I visited the site in the dry but what it must have been like in late autumn 1917 doesn't bear thinking about. By that time the tactics for dealing with pill boxes were established as I understand it but the mud must have been appalling and would have made taking the pill box a huge feat. Perhaps that is why the memorial is there.

Pete.

When I was there the monument was clearly sinking on one side. It would be interesting to find out if anything has since been done to remedy that. My photo was taken in 2016.

This may help and provide in depth reading on the memorial and bunker - http://thebignote.com/2018/06/21/a-tour-of-langemark-part-six-the-wilhelm-stellung-the-34th-division-memorial/

Magicfingers has covered all of the angles as usual on his site. Much like the apertures of the pill box now I come to think of it.

Pete.

Is it the 34th Div. monument at La Boisselle that has the statue of Victory on the top, or am I imagining things (again!)

Cheers Pete.:thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Which other threads provide restaurant reviews while identifying the 34th Division memorial at Langemark? We reach the parts other posts do not reach.

I had a hunch... wanted to follow it after the meeting and voilà ... Pete beat me to it... life's hard !! 

M.

23 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I had a hunch... wanted to follow it after the meeting and voilà ... Pete beat me to it... life's hard !! 

M.

Apologies mon colonel. I'm sure your hunch was right. If there was a prize it should go to Michelle because her photo is much cuter than any of the others........

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

This may help and provide in depth reading on the memorial and bunker - http://thebignote.com/2018/06/21/a-tour-of-langemark-part-six-the-wilhelm-stellung-the-34th-division-memorial/

Magicfingers has covered all of the angles as usual on his site. Much like the apertures of the pill box now I come to think of it.

Pete.

Very comprehensive article Pete. Here's another shot that I took which highlights what you were saying attacking troops being highlighted as they came over the horizon. A couple of bonus red kites too iirc.Screenshot_20230327-162231_Gallery.jpg.a08c05a67e1c4be7a71962afb1622956.jpg

Got another one for you: 

What Cemetery is this good boy looking over: 

MesenMemorialMarch079.JPG.ed744d02cc09358533f5a89cde5a68b5.JPG

It's an old pic... 

cemetery has the name of it's starting regiment in it. 

MM.

Is it Buffs Road cemetery?