Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

A most interesting read Pete. Really enjoyed that. You share your observations with such eloquence.

Thanks matey, I appreciate that.

It's not you, it's me (I've always wanted to say that, but this isn't the context I had in mind). I've fixed the link and found an older one on Google Earth which shows the stone more clearly. There are now layers of images from different times on Google Earth if you move around the location. You can almost see the bushes growing. But the sign is still in front of the cemetery entrance......

Unless I'm very much mistaken this will be my 5,000th post on the forum, and I'm pleased I'm in converstation with you for it Steve.

Pete.

988106226_SuippesStone.JPG.dea035374871e23d3f55b084957cfbe2.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Unless I'm very much mistaken this will be my 5,000th post on the forum, and I'm pleased I'm in converstation with you for it Steve.

Pete.

Quality as well as quantity mate. A most worthy and extremely valuable asset to the forum. 👍

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Quality as well as quantity mate. A most worthy and extremely valuable asset to the forum. 👍

If only my speling wuz better.......

I appreciate that matey, thank you.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

If only my speling wuz better.......

😁😁

On 16/02/2023 at 13:41, dickaren said:

While we are pondering Pete's image here are another couple from 1994 which should be easier.

Richard

Scan_20230216.png

Scan_20230216 (2).png

A clue to the first pic - There is a divisional memorial close by.

17 minutes ago, dickaren said:

A clue to the first pic - There is a divisional memorial close by.

Something I still haven't got unfortunately; a clue that is. I notice that the front wall has blocks of what looks like chalk built into it and the heaps to the far right look to have white blocks in them, but as chalk underlies such a huge area covered by the British zones in France it's only narrowing it down in the loosest sense of the phrase. It's noticable that several of the recent cemeteries are in the area to the east of the main Somme battlefield and I'm wondering if this is another one. I don't know that area at all well.

Pete.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Something I still haven't got unfortunately; a clue that is. I notice that the front wall has blocks of what looks like chalk built into it and the heaps to the far right look to have white blocks in them, but as chalk underlies such a huge area covered by the British zones in France it's only narrowing it down in the loosest sense of the phrase. It's noticable that several of the recent cemeteries are in the area to the east of the main Somme battlefield and I'm wondering if this is another one. I don't know that area at all well.

Pete.

Clue no 2 Pete - it is not east of the Somme battlefields!

Richard

Wonderful piece of writing, Pete. Thank you. I'll stop there on my next trip out. It must be one of the most important places on the whole W. Front, if not the most important. One can only imagine what they all felt like.

Christina

6 hours ago, Christina Holstein said:

Wonderful piece of writing, Pete. Thank you. I'll stop there on my next trip out. It must be one of the most important places on the whole W. Front, if not the most important. One can only imagine what they all felt like.

Christina

Thanks Christina. Their feelings can only be guessed at but given the personalities I wonder if there was a bit of bluster. Von Moltke was replaced by Von Falkenhayn two days later which makes me wonder if that decision was already in train or decided there. I'd love to know if they were in cars or on horseback and I wonder which of his many uniforms the Kaiser was wearing.

Pete.

Here's one that you super-sleuths will quickly identify no doubt..20230226_111600.jpg.face32a3b79dcdbe1a5bdc5fe4a75054.jpg

On 18/02/2023 at 14:17, dickaren said:

There is a divisional memorial close by.

While I fail to identify Mr Forget's rather impressive photo, I'm reminded that if anything the clue to the cemetery which isn't east of the Somme has if anything made the search harder, or at least no easier. This is a reflection on me rather than you. I've been trying to think of divisional memorials that aren't east of the Somme and have learned a lot about the Guards Memorial and the nearby cemetery including that it isn't the one.

Pete.

40 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

While I fail to identify Mr Forget's rather impressive photo, 

Pete.

Apologies; I forgot we already had one/two still on the go. 

• Admin

No one identified my mystery steps of some weeks ago, or the more recent one  from me. 

B05F2B33-8D9A-483F-9A78-F7D5845638C2.jpeg

28C7F6A0-54F2-44FA-B494-E1A01398FA5E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

While I fail to identify Mr Forget's rather impressive photo, I'm reminded that if anything the clue to the cemetery which isn't east of the Somme has if anything made the search harder, or at least no easier. This is a reflection on me rather than you. I've been trying to think of divisional memorials that aren't east of the Somme and have learned a lot about the Guards Memorial and the nearby cemetery including that it isn't the one.

Pete.

Head a long way north of the Somme to an area with many large holes in the ground.

Richard

31 minutes ago, dickaren said:

Head a long way north of the Somme to an area with many large holes in the ground.

Hi Richard

If @neverforget is where I think it is, last century 😁,did it not have 4 massive conifer trees at each corner, and were these not replaced about 15/20 years ago? or are we talking about something else here.

Edited by Knotty

20 minutes ago, dickaren said:

Richard

Two places spring to mind; both in Belgium. 

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Two places spring to mind; both in Belgium. 

Scrub that, what an idiot. I meant one in Belgium and one in France, so that really does narrow it down 😁

8 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Scrub that, what an idiot. I meant one in Belgium and one in France, so that really does narrow it down 😁

I’m totally confused now, I’m pretty sure I know yours Steve, said without an accent “away the lads” should put me in the correct part of the UK

@Michelle YoungI have no clue about the steps but as to the second picture... very long shot... Motor Car Corner?? I remember one of the houses had a Great Dane overlooking the cemetery from his house wall when I last went there. 

M.

• Admin

Not Motor Car Corner. 

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’m totally confused now, I’m pretty sure I know yours Steve, said without an accent “away the lads” should put me in the correct part of the UK

Yes, you're spot on John. My idiot Belgium/France post was in response to Richard's clue regarding large holes. That made me think of the areas around Ypres and Vimy for some reason; no doubt I'm way off the mark though.

Perhaps you could knock mine off the list of unsolved then s'il vous plait.👍

29 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Richard

If it’s where I think it is, last century 😁,did it not have 4 massive conifer trees at each corner, and were these not replaced about 15/20 years ago?

The pic is from 1994 so I don't think there were large trees in each corner (not that I can remember!!!)

Richard

Just now, neverforget said:

Yes, you're spot on John. My idiot Belgium/France post was in response to Richard's clue regarding large holes. That made me think of the areas around Ypres and Vimy for some reason; no doubt I'm way off the mark though.

Perhaps you could knock mine off the list of unsolved then s'il vous plait.👍

I think that’s the 50th Northumbrian Division memorial at Wieltje on the Ypres Salient

3 minutes ago, dickaren said:

The pic is from 1994 so I don't think there were large trees in each corner (not that I can remember!!!)

Richard

Hi

Was referring to @neverforget monument picture……..hence I’m totally confused,but sorting it now🤪

Just now, Knotty said:

I think that’s the 50th Northumbrian Division memorial at Wieltje on the Ypres Salient

Indeed it is. A most striking and impressive monument.