Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Maybe I will continue the diary and maybe I won't, two can play at that game :rolleyes:

51st Instalment

Saturday October 7th

More rain during the night. Parade 9 o/c. We are to move into the trenches on Monday night and company commanders went up this morning to reconnoitre their various positions. In the afternoon censoring kept us busy. Went for a hot bath to Reninghelst in the afternoon, with Miles. A pretty lively crowd in the mess tonight. Turned in about 10 o/c.

Sunday October 8th

Brigade Church Parade 10 o/c. at which the Brigadier and another general were present. The service was conducted by major Dexter and Chaplain Carter. Address given by Archbishop Riley out from Australia. Marched past the General after the parade. Went for a walk with Bob Miles in the afternoon and had a look at the observation balloon close by which was very interesting. Advance party went forward tonight. Turned in early as I shall want plenty of sleep.

Monday October 9th

Parade 9 o/c. Battalion parade, all shortages rectified. Informed of proposal in view to take a vote on conscription in Australia also votes --- march Discipline. The Colonel also told us of 2 more men who have been granted MM’s both in 16 platoon. Parade 5.30 and moved as a battalion to Branabreck station and entrained to Ypres asylum. Guides met us and took us to the front line where we are to relieve the 12th battalion in front of Hill 60.

Tuesday October 10th

Practically no sleep last night. On duty in the line from 1.15-3.15. Stand to 4.30-5.15. Received orders to entirely evacuate the firing line owing to the possibility of the Hun sending up a mine which is known to exist under our area. Got a bit of sleep in the morning. On duty 8-12. Nothing doing. Also evacuated front line from 5.15 – 7. On duty 8-10. Thing have been pretty quiet.

Wednesday October 11th

On duty 2 – 4. 3 -4.30 evacuated front line trench escaping for flying patrol. On duty 12 – 4. We are giving Fritz a bit of hurry? with rifle grenades etc. We are putting a lot of work here in the way of refitting the trenches. At 4.30 --- opened up with Minnie and caused 1 casualty, the poor fellow losing a leg. Line evacuated again tonight. Rumours of being relieved shortly and going to another front, probably the Somme.

Thursday October 12th

Duty 12 – 2. Passed the Hun trying to get a sniper in front of our parapet. Put them to flight. He was causing a good deal of trouble. Usual stand to and evacuation of line. In the afternoon Fritz strafed a good deal. At 6.30 a bombardment opened up caused by raiding party by other division. Stand to.

That's all folks

Regards

Julian

Jules

You're such a sport for giving us the next instalment without the explanation or translation you requested!! If you think about it - you'll probably realise what Elven is - but if you can't, then I guess you didn't grow up with J.R.R. Tolkien.

Imagine having to go back into the front line after an evacuation - not once but various times. Knowing that you wouldn't hear the bomb coming - and didn't even have that chance to duck or run. It's surprising anyone kept their nerve!

Mon Oct 9th

.... Branabreck station .... - Brandhoek

Guides met us and took us into the front line .....

John's new company, C Coy, were located in Larch Wood - while his old company, D Coy, took over Battersea Farm.

Marina

I think a lot of our boys were far more scared than they let on - for some - their only way of coping was to try and carry on as normal a life as possible - those that gave in to the sheer madness of it all - were the ones that eventually did go mad.

I know Jules wont mind - who am I to presume!! - I hope Jules wont mind - if I add one more letter from Viv Brown (after all he was one of John's mates):

West Wimmera Mail - Fri Mar 10, 1916:

Letters from the Front

Lance Corporal V.C. Brown

Lance Corpoal Viv. Brown writes from Tel-El-Kebir, to his sister Mrs Ekman, of Natimuk, under date January 21.

"Jack Bray arrived here last night, he is in the 7th Battalion, I also met Billy Murphy, Clarke from Quantong and Frank Docherty. When I got back to the old 8th I was jolly glad to find Ted Schunke here. He arrived a couple of weeks before I did. He looks tip top and sends his kind regards. I am jolly glad we are not separated again. In writing material issued to us the other day, some wallets sent from Natimuk came to light. One I got was from Mrs Bird, Teds from Mrs Henry, and the Colonel's from Lo? Rosel. I am writing to thank them how much we appreciated them. Schunke is, like myself, unlucky as regards parcels. Neither of us has received any parcels from there, although you and others mention having sent parcels along.

I gave a mate of mine my Christmas billy to send to you. Please keep them safely for me. I will be sending some more along later on. I want you to keep a couple of the bombs. You can exhibit them in Mr Antony's window if you like. They are quite safe. They were originally filled with amonal, a very high explosive and a detonator goes into the hole in the top. It consists of a sort of fuse which explodes the bomb and then those little devils will shift a few tons of dirt or stuff. We received a large mail just after I got back. 34 letters for me, but sad to relate none of my parcels, so I was a bit disappointed. I have not waded through the lot yet. There are a few from you, I notice. Thanks for news. We had a fair Christmas. Each man had a gift billy, filled with different things - cakes, chocolate, etc. Mine had a baby's comforter and powder box and a small whistle. I do not know if the lady who packed mine was going for a holiday and put some of the baby's things in my billy in mistake or whether she thought some of us needed some comfort and she sent it in a small parcel. Anyhow it caused a bit of fun at my expense. I had a good yarn to Billy Murphy and he told me a few things that have happened since I left home, and that's a long time ago. I was glad to get to Egypt from England. I was getting very tired of doing nothing, although I had a splendid time. I must now ring off as I have a few more letters to write. Give kind regards to all the old friends."

I find it amazing that he was sending a bomb home - even though it was dismantled. Just imagine the connotations such an occurrence would have today!

I love the bit about the baby's things - it would have been a great joke.

Cheers, Frev.

Of course I don't mind Frev, in fact it is really good to read these letters. I for sure would never have t hought a soldier would send home a bomb! What were Viv's parents supposed to do with it and who would want to see an object that when live could well kill their loved ones. Thanks again Frev you have taught me a lot.

Regards

Julian

AAArgh! Came to the Forum today and discovered I'd somehow missed yesterday's installment. Careless...

John seems to be having a quieter time than usual. A relief, I'm sure.

Viv's baby gift WAS funny - had a sudden vision of him in the dugout with the comforter stuck in his mouth. Can't believe he was able to send the bomb home - and why would he want to? A garden feature?Oh, well...hope hisother parcels eventually showed up and contained goodies ...

Marina

Evening All :(

This is a message to anyone who regularly reads the diary extracts I have been posting these last few months. Apart from a few regular contributors I appear to be the only person doing the communicating. This forum is currently attracting about one response per ten views, which I do not think much of to be honest. I have learnt a great deal from other peoples postings and I would hope there are people who are reading this who feel the same about this diary. If you have not posted a response to what you have read, and you know who you are, then please turn over a new leaf and start now as you are my source of motivation.

Many thanks

Julian :)

Hi Julian,

I have been following this since the beginning, as I have a special interest in the AIF and this battalion, and you kindly let me know when the details of the Pozieres action was to be posted. I haven't put any replies up, as most of what I would have said has already been posted, and I don't see the need to repeat it. I hope you don't think what you are doing is not appreciated, because it is. I hope you will put the whole thing together one day and offer it out - I would be happy to buy a copy.

I can add one little thing, which I don't think anyone has noticed. In an earlier extract it was stated:

"Lieutenants ... Joynt "

I suspect this is Lieutenant William Joynt VC, who got the VC with the 8th Bn AIF near Peronne in August 1918. See:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/joynt-vc.htm

He was quite a character; there is a photo of him at Passchendaele sitting with a bunch of other AIF officers. He looks a tough nut! He also wrote a book 'Saving The Channel Ports' if memory serves me correctly.

Keep up the good work - and thanks for sharing this.

hello julian mate,

for starters i think for your instalment for wednesday october the 4th your probarbly looking for the word combinations, (signaling). As to answer an earlier question. (forgive me for taking so long) french farmers always had "plonk" (wine) ore other alcohol in there cellars, so its not unusual for soldiers to find them in abanded farms etc.

Its also known that the inhabitants in french villages were always more willing to give passing soldiers wine then food ( which i can understand.better to give something you can get plentifull then something you may need later on and is hard to get, like a ham ore cheese,eggs etc.).

Keep upp installing the dairy mate it is such a gripping inside story, it reads like a novell.

coo-ee

patrick

Guest missioner

Lt Joynt might be better known as Donovan-Joynt VC

He also wrote a book "Breaking The Road" (so that others may follow?) which may be a biblical quotation. The splitting of his WW1 experiences between the 2 books is rather curious as they are not chronologically consecutive so to speak.

If Petrick is unsure as to where the term plonk originated, it is alleged to be a description of the method adopted by the French Peasants on the arrival of AIF troops. They would harvest that day's vintage, throw it in the air and it would come down plonk.

Dear Jules.Don't worry mate we're all still here. Maybe our expectation level is too high!!!! We would probably give you more stick if you didn't carry on.Think of it as your "national service". I don't hear John complaining too much......and you've only got to transcribe his diary!!!!!. Carry on ,you are doing a great service to John and all the others.If you hadn't done this many others who you have named would possibly have not been remembered.For me thats why this forum exists.

Best Regards Steve.

P.S. Plonk was WW1 rhyming slang for vin blanc.

hello julian mate,

for starters i think for your instalment for wednesday october the 4th your probarbly looking for the word combinations, (signaling). As to answer an earlier question. (forgive me for taking so long) french farmers always had "plonk" (wine) ore other alcohol in there cellars, so its not unusual for soldiers to find them in abanded farms etc.

Its also known that the inhabitants in french villages were always more willing to give passing soldiers wine then food ( which i can understand.better to give something you can get plentifull then something you may need later on and is hard to get, like a ham ore cheese,eggs etc.).

Keep upp installing the dairy mate it is such a gripping inside story, it reads like a novell.

coo-ee

patrick

Hi Patrick

Please explain about the word combinations as I am not sure what you mean mate. I just put down my best interpretation of John's writing :blink:

Regards

Julian

52nd Instalment

Friday October 13th

Duty 12-2. Very quiet. Usual stand to etc. On duty 12-4. Fritz strafed us with minnies and shrapnel from 3 – 4 and we had about 10 casualties including Gwinny? Jones. Nothing doing at night. To be relieved tomorrow night. We are going to a training area at St Omer but for what purpose we do not know.

Saturday October 14th

Advance party of 21st? battalion officers came up today. Duty 12 – 2, very quiet, usual stand to. Duty 12 – 4. A few minnies and some shrapnel. Relief due at 8 o/c guides went down to meet train at 5 o/c. About 7.30 just when the relief might turn up Fritz opened up a heavy barrage on us and we had a job to get all the men under cover. When the relief arrived each guide had the men for his own –or- and the wrong one went in f— which caused an awful mix up and which took a lot of sorting out. We got away about 9 o/c and marched to where we entrained for Brandhoek and then marched to our old camp at Scottish lines where we settled down for the night. There were about 21 casualties in the relief mostly 21st battalion. Had a narrow shave from a 4.2. One poor fellow had his arm taken off by a dud 5.9.

Sunday October 15th

Parade 8.30 and moved out to Brigade starting point. Moved off 9 o/c 8th battalion leading. We marched via Poperinghe & Abeele to within half a mile of Godderswelde? just off the Steenwoorde road. We had lunch on the road and arrived here about 2.30. Good billets, slept well in a nice bed.

Monday October 16th

Marched out about 8 o/c to the village of Aneka via Steenvoorde. Arrived about 3 o/c. Covered about 8 miles yesterday and 14 today. Decent billets. In the evening Miles Stevenson and I went up to the town which is not half bad. Turned in at 8 o/c.

Tuesday October 17th

Marched out 7.30. Owing to clashing on the road with a brigade of artillery we halted a good deal but after a very strenuous march we arrived at Epilecques about 4 o/c. Covered about 14 miles today. Pretty solid. Bob Miles and I struck a very comfortable billet. Spring bed sheets etc. Very homely old per---- we had a great yarn with them in the evening. Slept like a top.

Wednesday October 18th

Breakfast 8 o/c parade 9.30. 11.30 washing parade in the afternoon.

Night all

Regards

Julian

Hey, Jules - you stopped short of St. Omer and we don't know what this training is! Still, I suppose you have to have some time of your own..

Marina

Sorry Marina but my bed is calling me and I have an early start in the morning.

Julian

Is there something you and Marina want to share with us Jules? :D

Keep up the great work. Have you considering turning these diaries into the basis for a book. There a heap of material and photos available....it would be a ripper.

Rgds

Tim

Tim,

Someone has to look after Jules. Think of the situation he is in - all that deciphering, all that typing, all those dozens of minds WILLING him to come up with the next installment, wondering why he wastes time sleeping and breathing...He has to know we CARE. Or he won't be able to carry on!

I suggest we draw up a rota - you, me, Frev, Ossie - all the regulars - to take turns at 'night night' duty. You're on tomorow night, Tim....

Night all!

Marina :lol::lol:

I waited up till 3.30am for the next installment but eventually had to go to bed! Lucky I have a day off today.

Washing parade, did the army do everything in parades, can someone please explain this?

A dud 5.9 taking of an arm. Would this be because it didn't go off the first time and somebody tripped it? Any help?

Jules, you are marked top of my must see posts and I like to see it stay there, so as Marina said

'wondering why he wastes time sleeping and breathing...He has to know we CARE. Or he won't be able to carry on!'

:)

Is there something you and Marina want to share with us Jules?  :D

Tim - I was wondering the same thing!! I was starting to feel like a 'peeping frev'.

Marina - may I be excused from the 'night night' duty - I'd have to get up at some ungodly hour of the morning/night to stand my watch - and I do tend to get a little grumpy if I don't get my sleep!

Ozzie K - I'd be guessing that the 'washing parade' might have had to do with them turning their dirty laundry over (at a particular time) to be transported away to be cleaned - and probably picking up a clean lot at the same time. When they were on the move so much - they didn't really have the chance to wash & 'hang their things out to dry'.

eg. from the diary of an Aussie Transport driver:

Sat 25/11/16. 'Got up at 8.30 got loaded with new stuff and old - took load to Vivvier Mill, got loaded there with dirty clothes and full of chats who would stand up and argue the point with you.'

Jules - I think what Patrick was talking about with the word combinations was:

Wed Oct 4th:

We were shown the machines and the various signalling conb--ouces? etc. - He's saying the word is probably combinations.

Fri Oct 13th

Gwinny? Jones - there was a Geoffrey & a George Jones in the 8th Bn - so unless it was actually a nickname - my guess would be Geoffrey.

Sat Oct 14th

Advance party of 21st? battalion - they were relieved by the 21st Bn

Sun Oct 15th

Godderswelde? - Godewaersvelde

Tue Oct 17th

Epilecques - they're now off my map (most annoying) - but Ron spells it in 'Cobbers in Khaki' as Eperleclque.

Cheers, Frev.

Marina - may I be excused from the 'night night' duty - I'd have to get up at some ungodly hour of the morning/night to stand my watch - and I do tend to get a little grumpy if I don't get my sleep!

Frev, you wouldn't have done in the trenches , you know! You could always post the night night message earler and he can read it later.

You know, I never thought of the problem of laundry before. I wonder how they organised getting theor own kit back and so on. Difficult. And were those tattered uniforms cleanble after all the mud and mess? Gad I wasn't the laundress!

Did like your diary entry on the other thread, Frev. Good one!

Marina

Have you considering turning these diaries into the basis for a book.  There a heap of material and photos available....it would be a ripper. 

Hi Tim et Al

Yes I have been asked quite a few times to turn John's diary into a book and I have given it soem serious consideration, but to be honest I would not know where to start especially as the diary appears to finsh at the end of 1916. Your suggestions would be appreciated Tim.

Regards

Julian

Jules - I think what Patrick was talking about with the word combinations was:

Wed Oct 4th:

We were shown the machines and the various signalling conb--ouces? etc. - He's saying the word is probably combinations.

Hi frev

I just had another look at the word above and I have sussed out what it is at last. It is Contrivances. Thanks for your help again Frev.

Julian

53rd Instalment

Thursday October 19th

2nd anniversary of departure from Australia. Referendum voting. BCC? General Birdwood presented more medals in the afternoon. In the evening we had a very decent Coy mess dinner and things got lively. Turned in 11.30 having the key of the door.

Friday October 20th

Parade 9 o/c. 9.30 Warned to proceed with Dan South and 100 men to Arques as entraining party. Left at 10.15 and marched 10 miles to the station yard St Omer. Arrived 2 o/c. First train arrived about 2.45 and the party worked in 2 reliefs loading transport on the train , sc--- fell over the side of the line and knocked himself about a bit and had to go to bed during the night and so I was on my own and had a pretty stiff time keeping the fellows going to the Saks? factory of Anxions? C.6 & ARTO Managed to get a couple of passable meals in the town. Not much of a place.

Saturday October 21st

About 4.30 Scotty relieved me and I slept for three hours and had breakfast and a wash and then carried on myself. Went for lunch 12.30 while Scotty loaded the last train. At 2.30 we got in the engineers train and travelled via St Omer Calais Boulogne Etaples and Abbeville to St Riquet? about 8 miles the other side of Abbeville. Arrived there about midnight.

Sounds like tomorrow could be a gripping instalment, until the next time then

Night all and morning Frev and Tim

Regards

Julian

A dud 5.9 taking of an arm. Would this be because it didn't go off the first time and somebody tripped it? Any help?

Ozzie

The 5.9 was a substantial shell. It was fired by a heavy gun. If somebody tripped it, the only thing left would be the arm. So I think the arm will have been hit by the shell flying past before it landed.

Hope that helps.

Robert