Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Steve,

You can follow John Pitt's actions and gainer a wider appreciation of his and other units involvement by viewing the AIF official history here. The 8th Battalion are in the middle of their involvement at Pozieres. Pte Thomas Cooke won a VC here and the latter part of battle is when 2Lt Donovan Joynt (later VC) joined the battalion.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/3/index.asp

Good to see him finally promoted Jules!!

Rgds

Tim

There's a bit on page 478 of the Pozieres account about the gas that John complained of - the lachrymose gas, did he call it? Apparently it had a sweet smell like hycacinths. Never heard of that one before.

Great link, Tim

Marina

Julian,

I just came across this thread tonight and have spent the past couple of hours reading through your grandfather's diary and the responses to it. It's very interesting stuff, and has helped me directly with a couple of titbits on the Anzac officers I research.

Also a big effort by yourself! Having transcribed a few parts of diaries myself, I know what a big job it is.

Just a little more on the death of Colonel Braund (born Bideford, Devon, England 13 July 1866; died Braund's Hill, Anzac, 4 May 1915)

There's an article: 'How Colonel Braund died.' in the Armidale (NSW) Express of 20 Aug 1915 p2. States that he may have been sleep-walking, as he was challenged three times before being shot by the sentry. It's still more likely that he didn't hear the challenge. A few sources say that he was slightly deaf.

From the diary of Sergeant C. Alwyne, B Coy. 2nd Bn:

[May] '3rd. On building roads last night for Artillery to-day. Our old Colonel shot dead last night, hard luck for us, just as we got to like him we lose him. He was worrying too much lately lottle [sic] or no sleep last night or should I say earlt [sic] this morning he goes out past the picket lines, don't know what for, on returning he was challenged by the sentry one of our own Company who on receiving no reply, fired, not knowing whom he had shot. In the morning when he went out instead of finding a dead Turk we found our poor old Colonel, lying face down shot through the head. You have no idea how we felt, most of us wanted to shoot the sentry, or at least do him some bodily harm, but as we did not know who the Sentry was and it was explained to us that the Colonel was walking in his sleep, we had to let it drop; we burined [sic] him, most of us feel a bit off, a bit downhearted. We have only 2 Captains and 7 Lieutenants left out of 32, most of our N.C.O. men have been put out of action.'

APbraund.jpg

Lieut. Colonel Braund

A couple of others mentioned earlier:

APgartside.jpg

Lieut.-Colonel Robert Gartside 7th Bn (previously 8th Bn).

KIA Krithia, 8 May 1915

APpossingham.jpg

Capt. Alfred Harold Possingham, 8th Bn.

KIA Krithia, 8 May 1915

Hi Bryn

Welcome to tthe thread, it is nice to have some fresh input. The photos are great, at last I can put a face to the name. Keep reading the thread mate.

Regards

Julian

There's a bit on page 478 of the Pozieres account about the gas that John complained of - the lachrymose gas, did he call it?  Apparently it had a sweet smell like hycacinths.  Never heard of that one before.

Great link, Tim

Marina

Thanks for the info on the gas Marina. It was interesting to read as I had no idea the Germans used tear shells, just imagine your eyes burning for 7 seven hours, nightmare!

Oh well better get ready for work tomorrow and then I can do some more diary.

Regards

Julian

Could you do even more diary if you stayed at home? After all, you have not been well...

Is that a request Kate?, I expect I will get more done at work to be honest. I have been at home for the past week but my partner had other ideas for my time, involviing household chores !!

Off you go then...

Sorry it is not much tonight but here it is folks

39th Instalment

Wednesday August 9th

Haymaking in full swing here now and the country is looking splendid. It is hard for now to persuade ourselves that we are going into the line again. As the division cannot be more than half strength. Everything points to the fact that we are going right into it. Parade 9.30 Rifle and gas helmet inspection and rifle drill. Parade 2 o/c for signals officers and NCO’s. Marched to an old disused trench. A brigade turnout. At 3 o/c an aeroplane circled overhead and dropped a message and signalled the object being for us to answer to it and to learn the correct way to uniform contact aeroplanes where your front line is when an attack has been made. This is probably next to us getting our own artillery fire at Pozieres. Finished at 4 o/c. A very good open air concert tonight. At the conclusion Major Coulter hints that we may be here for a week.. Rumours of inspection by Field marshal Douglas Haig or the King tomorrow. Orders to turn out on parade smartly.

Thursday August 10th

Slept fairly well without blankets. It started to rain about 6 0/c and so arrangements for inspection are cancelled. No parade in morning. Parade smartly dressed with overcoats belts and sidearm. Marched down to the road and fell in 2 deep on either side. After about 5 minutes a crowd of cars came along one containing the King and general Birdwood. We cheered His Majesty as he went by. He looked very worried and haggard. Then marched with the word of the brigade formed up in a square and general Birdwood came along and started off by decorating three fellows (SB’s) with the MM. He then made a fine speech saying he would again have to call up on the 1st Division to go into the line. He cracked us up to the skies and told us of the Italian and Russian successes. He then addressed the newly appointed officers, the remnants marched back to camp and were dismissed. Expect to go into the line very soon. The King has visited the entire front now. I fancy the Prince of Wales was in one of the cars but I am not sure. Inspection of gas helmets before tea.

Sleep well all.

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules

Hope your Easter wasn't too spoiled by being ill - I can't believe you still managed to do so much typing - I have so much to catch up on - pages & pages I've just printed out (there goes my own research for a while, again).

Have been away on 'fatigues' (picking & crushing grapes) at my parents vineyard over Easter - and as enjoyable (and backbreaking) as it is - I've just been itching to get back to WW1.

The first thing I did when I got my computer up & running again (even before coming here) was to check the National Archives - I've requested the digitisation of one of my soldiers a couple of times now (they lost it the first time) - and as usual I checked to see whether John's was up there yet.

Well in case you haven't yet discovered it - it's not actually digitised - BUT IT'S NOW IN THE INDEX AND CAN NOW BE REQUESTED!!!!!

So, if you do your request now - we'll only have about a month more to wait.

Well, must go - have 5 installments to catch up on - get back to you soon.

Cheers, Frev.

Hi Frev

Welcome back from your grape treading exploits, I missed your contributions to the forum, no really I did :) I have just requested issue of the service record but apparently it needs to assessed first, but I am sure you will know all about that. Looks as though I now have to start another waiting process !! There are lots of names for you to reserch in the instalments you have missed, so get to it my friend! Right ? I am off to see my folks this weekend so I shall be doing some more digging as I understand they have found another very old suitcase in the loft which could well be more of John's artefacts. You never know I might even find his medals as I have found a medal ribbon but not the medal to go with it. Oh well I had better get back to the typing of the diary whilst things are quiet. Keep reading Frev.

Regards

Julian

Sure hope you find those medals Jules.

What an enjoyable bit of reading I've had - and you don't need to remind me to keep reading - it's compulsive.

Well, it's time for me to see if I can out-type you - so here goes:

35th Instalment

Wed July 12th

We left Donclen? - Doullens

..... in a village called Tolinas? - Talmas

Fri Jul 14th & Thur Jul 13th

Are the entries in the correct order & just the dates the wrong way round? - because 'Cobbers in Khaki' states they arrived in Rainneville on the 14th.

Sun Jul 16th

Arrived at Va----ies - Varennes

36th Instalment

Thur Jul 20th

..... dropped our packs at Voremies? also blankets and felt hats, - Varennes again

Their packs & blankets were left behind at Varennes (underguard), and then when they got to Albert it turned out there weren't enough billets, & they were marched out of town to the Brickfields area where they had to bivouack in the open (with the 7th Bn).

Sat Jul 22nd

Arrived at our destination being the first line German trench ..... - This was in Sausage Valley.

Sun Jul 23rd

'Cobbers in Khaki': "Throughout the 23rd July, the 8th Battalion was pounded by German artillery, but the most torrid time was had by D Company which provided the carrying parties up to the firing line."

37th Instalment

Tue Jul 25th

...... and D Coy especially got a good many prisoners ... - They also captured 7 Machine Guns.

Wed Jul 26th

Bill Colven has been killed, also Jack Ross who was here with the pioneer battalion.

2nd Lt Bill COLVIN (KIA 25/7/16) was mentioned earlier [1915].

Jack Ross was Cpl John Ambrose ROSS 928 of the 1st Pioneer Bn, he died 26/7/16, age 22 & is buried in the Villers-Bretonneux Cemetery.

George Peatery? Was wounded whilst asleep beside me,

Sgt George PEATEY (MM) 1173 returned home in 1918

..... also Ted Sloane and Frank Albury ....

The only Sloane / Sloan in the 8th Bn was Henry Edwin SLOAN (MM & 2 bars) 822 - later 6th Div Sig Coy, RTA 1918. [Edward/Edwin was often shortened to Ted]

Sgt Frank ALBERRY 867 - won a DCM for the action in which he was wounded on the 25/7/16

'Cobbers in Khaki': "The right flank was secured by Captain James when his company took up position near the orchard on the northern edge of Pozieres. Unfortunately James was mortally wounded by an Australian machine gun firing from the rear, and died on the next day. Some time after this post was established, Sergeant Frank Alberry followed suit by bringing up his Lewis gun which he manned for the next two days, until the battalion was relieved. It was during the relief that Alberry was badly wounded and subsequently had his leg amputated."

Captain James, Lt McCouville?, Lt Stephenson, Lt Taylor were killed

Cpt George Everett JAMES (see above) was a 25 year old School Teacher from Ballarat (Vic) - he died of wounds 24/7/16 and is buried in Becourt Military Cemetery.

2nd Lt Clarence Edward McCONVILLE was KIA 25/7/16 & is commemorated on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial.

2nd Lt Keith Robert STEPHENSON didn't actually die of his wounds until the 30/7/16 & is buried at Puchevillers British Cemetery.

2nd Lt William Alfred TAYLOR, age 26, KIA 26/7/16 is buried in the Villers-Bretonneux Cemetery.

The barrage of 5.9's in the ---- never stop.

'Cobbers in Khaki': "The German barrage of heavy 5.9 inch shells was falling on the Australian positions at the rate 20 per minute. The trenches became so unsafe, that officers led their men out into shell holes in No Man's Land to avoid the bombardment."

38th Instalment

Thur Jul 27th

The battalion has suffered very heavily .....

'C in K': "The battalion had indeed paid a terrible price! 81 killed, 266 wounded and a further 23 missing during its operations with the 1st Brigade. Almost all of the men posted as missing were later assumed to have been killed in action, thus taking the total of the July deaths at Pozieres to 105."

Sat Jul 29th

Viv Brown and Ted Schunde both wounded pretty badly.

As Marina well knows, Viv was mentioned earlier [1915]

Cpl Edwin Ernest SCHUNKE 717 - was later KIA 25/10/17, age 24 - he was a farmer from NATIMUK [same place John was farming when he enlisted]

Well, I think that's enough from me for the moment - people might start to think that I've hijacked your thread!!!

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers, Frev

Well done, Frev - you don;t have any info on what happened ultimately to Viv, do you? This is his SECOND serious wounding.

Thta was a really sad one - the man killed while asleep. SHUDDER!

Marina

Hi Frev et Al

Many thanks for all that info, I have just made all the alterations to the manuscript as a result of them. Where do you get all your info, is it from you cross referencing the dairy with the official history? I have checked the diary again Frev and you are correct about the date of arrival in Rainneville, the diary dates are the wrong way round in Johns book and like a muppet I did not spot it. I have done some diary in quiet moments at work today so here is the next bit my friend. Oh one other thing any chance you or someone you may know might be able to get a digital picture of Johns name on the memorial at Natimuk coz that would be great to see. Thanks again.

40th Instalment

August 11th

Reveille 7 o/c Parade 9.30. Rifle inspection Brigade gas helmet inspection. Bayonet fighting. Dismissed 11.15. Parade 2 o/c and practiced wood fighting. There is a new fine line of defence running through the wood prepared by the French. Dismissed 4 o/c. Went into Contay at night.

Saturday August 12th

Parade 9.30 Rifle inspection. Bayonet fighting. I am an instructor these days. Dismissed 11.15. Parade 3 o/c. March & B F. Dismissed 4 o/c. Pay day now 70 francs. Leave’s stopped now except with a special pass.

Sunday August 13th

Brigade Church parade 10 o/c. Padre Miles delivered a splendid address General Walker being present. Inspection of huts. Promoted to Corporal. 2 o/c. D company NCO’s to parade for instruction in the Lewis Gun. Very interesting as it is a most marvellous gun weighing only 20 lbs and can fire 600 rounds a minute. Plenty of mail the last couple of days. 7.30. The old Chaplain (Padre Carter) had a sing song which was a big success and much appreciated. To move tomorrow.

Monday August 14th

Parade at 6 o/c. Moved out at 7.30 straight to Albert and bivouacked not far from where we were last time. Had to shift a couple of times and got the benefit of a heavy shower of rain did not lend to cheer us up. The 5th and 6th battalions have gone further up towards the line, not far from service trenches. 150 of our men have gone up as stretcher bearers. Rumours of a hop out tomorrow.

Tuesday August 15th

A few shells lobbed fairly close to us during the night. Managed to get a few hours sleep though it was very cold. Rifle inspection after which we went into the town and had a good bath as well as ---si--- in a biscuit tin. Battalion moved out at 3.30 and marched through Albert getting to service trenches at 5.30. I managed to get a dug out and protection from the showers which are pretty frequent now. It was very muddy and slippery coming in here. Understand the 5th and 6th battalions are having a pretty rough time and suppose we shall relieve them soon. We are in the midst of a mass of batteries of guns of all sizes and the roar is perfectly terrific. 9.30 Warned as NCO in charge of gas guard.

More to follow later folks

Regards

Julian

I am off to see my folks this weekend so I shall be doing some more digging as I understand they have found another very old suitcase in the loft which could well be more of John's artefacts. You never know I might even find his medals as I have found a medal ribbon but not the medal to go with it. Oh well I had better get back to the typing of the diary whilst things are quiet. Keep reading Frev.

Regards

Julian

I nearly missed that, Jules. Another suitcase? The missing diaries? His medals? More photos?

Can hardly wait!

Marina

They certainly are Steve, the one without the service number is the man himself speaking through the diary.

Regards

Julian

Dear Jules. Sorry mate I meant are any of the others related to John (and to you too!!!? Regards Steve

P.S. Sorry if i've missed it somewhere down the line but i've been looking at Rob Ruggenbergs site at www.greatwar.nl/frames/default-australians.html

Fantastic pics and links. Again sorry if anybody's already suggested it.

Good new signature by the way.

If that is the case then Steve, then my answer must be that I do not have a clue mate. John had three brothers but as far as I know none of them made it to Oz to join up. I have a photo of one of the other brothers in an oficers army uniform but I know nothing else at all. The one in question was Arthur Pitt born 1876 in Peckham Surrey. Maybe I will look into his history next !!

Evenning All :blink:

Last instalment for today. More tomorrow.

41st Instalment

Wednesday August 16th

I posted my first relief and left them to it as per orders last night. An easy job. It rained during the night but I slept until 7 o/c. Fine clear sky this morning. A couple of fatigues during the day. Fritz puts a shell over here now and again. Received orders for reveille at 4.30 in the morning and then to move out on digging fatigue, but at 7 o/c. Got orders finished at 1.30

Thursday August 17th

About 1.30am 170 of the 8th battalion moved up towards the firing line passing close to the village of Contalmaison, stopping at an engineers dump to pick up picks and shovels. 6 sand bags per man. Moved from there after which we got right into the centre of the village of Pozieres. Came to a full stop there, waited for a while and turned? back and dumped our kols? etc and made for our home where we arrived at 5 o/c. We were to do a bit towards digging a hop out trench, but they found they had too many men so a lot of us were sent back. Nothing doing during the day except that one of our planes brought down a Hun full-i--, amongst cheers. A great sight. Slept most of the day. To move up to the line tomorrow to relieve another battalion.

Steve

Thanks for posting the link, its because of that I have not typed much tonight, there was so much to look at and great pictures. Bye for now :P

Regards

Julian