Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Hi Marina

Thanks for yoour kind words. I am all bunged up up with the flu I think.

I was struck by the relentless moving around through marching and on trains. I plotted all the places on a map and they covered a very large area. To wake up in a foot of water must have been hideous I should think. More to follow later.

Regards

julian

Getting very interesting Jules.  Amazing about the Aussies to be used in the pursuit!!  Obviously this didn't really happen in earnest until over two years later.  I also didn't know the term squareheads was used this early on.  I am still waiting with baited breath to hear knews of how his commissiong occurred. 

Rgds

Tim

Welcome back Tim I had missed your knowledgable feedback. John's promotion must come soon as it says in his pay book it was awarded in 1916. I must get a scanner as I have loads of stuff I am sure you woud like to see.

Regards

Julian

Jules,

Charles Knowles is proving rather elusive, but prior to perfoming 'Annie Laurie' and other popular hits in uniform, he had sung one of the supporting roles in Puccini's Madam Butterfly at Covent Garden in 1909. Singing the lead role of Pinkerton in that production was Italian tenor Alessandro Bonci, who was to become a celebrated member of the Italian Air Force in the war.

I promised an illustration of pierrots, and here is an unidentified military troupe on stage during the war. The one in the conical hat is a female impersonator. It is not a high-quality image but hopefully it will give you an idea of the performance John attended.

Keep the hankies close by, and read the Forum for occupational therapy.

post-77-1111765813.jpg

Jules,

Charles Knowles is proving rather elusive, but prior to perfoming 'Annie Laurie' and other popular hits in uniform, he had sung one of the supporting roles in Puccini's Madam Butterfly at Covent Garden in 1909. Singing the lead role of Pinkerton in that production was Italian tenor Alessandro Bonci, who was to become a celebrated member of the Italian Air Force in the war.

I promised an illustration of pierrots, and here is an unidentified military troupe on stage during the war. The one in the conical hat is a female impersonator. It is not a high-quality image but hopefully it will give you an idea of the performance John attended.

Keep the hankies close by, and read the Forum for occupational therapy.

Hi Kate

Many thanks for posting the picture. I had visions of a concert party as the kind of entertainment in question, i guess that is not too far off is it ? Thanks for your kind words

Regards

Julian

What an awesome job you are doing! This is  adding character and emotion to the history you read. It is reading like a novel and the expectation is creeping up.

Thankyou for your dedication to this project. Get well and Happy Easter.

Ozzie

Thanks for the appreciation Ozzie, it really helps with the motivation.

Cheers

Julian

Jules,

Only quick-checking indexes here - so a few assumptions made.

All places mentioned are suburbs of Melbourne, Vic, Aust.

* Percival St Clair PITT was the residing owner of No. 20 Emily St, Caulfield from 1888 to 1894 - and No. 20 Emily St, Murumbeena from 1895 to 1940.

In 1941 this house became vacant - and in 1942 it was taken over by J.J. Roddy, and 2 houses were to be built on it (I guess we can assume that the original house was demolished)

* Percival St Clair PITT was born in Collingwood in 1859 - his parents were Walter William PITT & Catherine Louise LOVE [whom possibly emigrated from England]

[they had 2 other children registered in Vic: Andrew Albert b.1861 & Florence Louise b.1866]

* Percival St Clair PITT married Annie Sophia WILLIAMS in 1887

Their children:

1. Percival Francis b.1888 Prahran, marr. 1919, d.1960 age 71

2. Emilie Winnia b.1891 Caulfield, marr. George Silver BALFOUR in 1928, d.20/12/1964 at Malvern, age 74, (a widow), resident of Oakleigh

3. Rhesa Annie b.1897 Murumbeena, marr. W.E. WILSON 1920

4. Rayleigh Baden b.1899 M'beena, d.1900

5. Rayleigh St Clair b.1901 M'beena

* Percival St Clair PITT d.18/5/1940 at Caulfield, age 81

[in the 1912 Electoral Roll, Percival was listed as a Manufacturer (Annie - Home duties) - in the Probate index he was listed as a Gentleman]

[a Walter William PITT d.1875, age 48 at Leic. (? Leichardt), son of James William PITT & Florence Louise LOVE (? could be a confusion of both his mother's & wife's names - not uncommon of death certificates)]

So - I'd say that your E.W. PITT is most likely Percival's eldest daughter Emilie Winnia.  It's incredibly likely that these people are your relatives - and John was obviously in touch with them while in Australia - possibly even living with them.

Are there any recognisable 'family names' (apart from Pitt)?

Anyway - I guess this makes us best buddies now!!

Cheers, Frev.

Hi frev

Just to confrm that I now know John's sister was what took him to Oz in the first place, I am in touch with the daughter of the farmer he used to work for and she confirmed this to me in a letter. I have sent her the above details you dug up to see if she can shed any light on it. Thought you might like to know.

Regards

Julian

Dear Jules.Get well soon. Your forum needs you!!! Regards Steve

Thanks a lot Steve I am currently getting through boxes of tissues at a great rate !!

Julian

36th Instalment

Thursday July 20th

Reveille 6 o/c Breakfast 7 /c moved out at 9.30 passing through the villages of Sentis and Bouguicouns (perhaps Bourguignons) halting just outside the latter place for dinner at 1 o/c. Just tea and bully beef. Remained there till 4.45 and then moved up to an appointed t-uou— just outside of Albert. Had a look at the leaning tower of the Cathedral at Albert. The bombardment is pretty severe and there are some very big guns here. The sky is absolutely alive with aircraft. No less than 20 balloons are visible from here and aeroplanes of all types literally swarm? Moving about in squadrons. There are various rumours as to when we are to go into a scrap but no reliance can be placed on them. We are expecting a pretty cold sleep tonight as we dropped our packs at Voremies? also blankets and felt hats, the latter being replaced by steel helmets. We are to be ready to move from here at a moments notice.

Friday July 21st

Passed a very cold night last night and the bombardment was severe enough. Parade 9 o/c. Rifle inspection, gas helmet inspection and physical drill, this was interrupted by a hostile aeroplane overhead and we had to return to our bivouac and did not fall in again. No parade this afternoon except a voluntary bathing parade which I took advantage of. Got back to camp only to find that we were to move at 10 o/c tonight. Issued with 150 extra rounds of ammunition, 2 sandbags 2 bombs and extra rations. Albert is a big place and pretty well blown about. Expect to be into the fight very soon. 8 o/c. The brigade will not move out tonight I understand the arrangements made are postponed till tomorrow night.

Saturday July 22nd

Very cold last night with extra pair of socks on, a sandbag on each leg and my legs in the sleeves of my overcoat. I continued however to keep warm but was awakened about 12.30 by a hell of a lot of corts? crying “Gas”. We ut our helmets on at once but as no one appeared to be able to trace the original cause of the alarm we turned in again in peace except for the guns going a ------. Parade 9 o/c in marching order. Rifle inspection gas helmet inspection and bayonet fighting. 3 o/c Church Parade and I in fact conduct them. Moved out tonight about 9 o/c through the town of Albert which is a good sized place but sadly blown about especially the Church. Guns of all kinds in and all around the town. Arrived at our destination being the first line German trench which we look on the 1st being under shrapnel fire the last part of the way, no casualties. The bombardment which was going on was simply enormous in its intensity, quite indescribable. The 1st Brigade seem to be taking the more prominent part in the attack, we being in reserve. The objective is the village of Pozieres. Had a sit down sleep tonight.

Sunday July 23rd

6.30. Moved up nearer to the firing line. Understand the attack last night was successful although the bombardment still continues vigorously and we passed a large number of wounded coming down to the ambulances in rear. We got into a trench soon, the shelling getting pretty thick and we having had a few casualties and after a while shifted on and darted in sections around the famous Casualty Corner and off up to a chalk pit. 2 sections of 14 platoon got a couple 5.9’s in amongst them, it made a horrible mess. Alf Payne pretty badly kurched? Settled down (the whole of D company) in the Chalk Pit but soon found that the Hun dropped shells here as well and we had to edge –redge in and first one ---- to be there and then one there and so the day went on until we had had 32 casualties there by 9 o/c at night we made a dive for an old trench 100 yards away near battalion HQ. All day we have had to be ready to go up and repel a counter attack. Had absolutely the most uncomfortable time of my life today. Absolutely nerve racking and my nerves are supposed to be bad, Poop!. Settled down for the night in the trench.

If anyone can understand the bold sentence above please let me know. For info the next two days are 4 pages each!!

Regards

Julian

I am all bunged up up with the flu I think.

Hot Toddy Called for. Thuis is the best:

Stiff shot of Black Rum

1 tsps. honey

squirt of lemon juice

hot water.

Retire to bed and drink it down while it's still hot.. Does wonders for catarrh and coughs.

Hope you're not feeling too rotten.

Marina

The sandbag sleep sounds a horror. And the sit down one. I don't know how they managed to keep going without their sleep.

32 casualties, just like that. Horrible.

Marina

" we had to edge –redge in and first one ---- to be there and then one there and so the day went on until we had had 32 casualties there by 9 o/c at night"

Could it be the shells dropping on the position? Causing the 32 casualties.

'Issued with 150 extra rounds of ammunition, 2 sandbags 2 bombs and extra rations.'

This sentence is like a notification "Your on your way to the front lines". It is a bit chilling.

Thankyou for battling on.

37th Instalment

Monday July 24th

A B and C company’s in to the line last night. D coy has had the worst casualties and was left in reserve. Rested in the morning and then went to another ----- trench and set about repairing some red dug outs. Apparently the 2nd brigade is reserve brigade this resulting from the fact that the 7th and 8th battalions had a pretty rough time up at Messines recently. We had a few more knocked out this morning. It is impossible to get cover here as Fritz can enfilade the trench. Batch of prisoners came down this morning and they look very miserable, no wonder after having 12” shells thrown at them by the 100. 2 or 3 fatigues during the day and I and some officers arrived back from one about 6 o/c to find the whole company standing to and as soon as we had got our equipment on we all hopped on the parapet and went down to HQ where we were each given 2 sandbags of boiled bacon. The company was a carrying party to take rations to the remainder of the battalion. We went up through a dense barrage , in full fighting order and when we got into the low ground, found the gully was full of lacrymatious? gas, put goggles on but no good, so put on gas helmet but no good so put on nothing. My eyes being a bit weak the tem? Gas got me down and I thought I should have to give in ----- having fallen head over heels with my load into about mortar shell holes, but I struggled on and on gradually getting on to high ground and soon I found I was out of the gas danger zone and soon caught up to the rest of the section. What made things a little more difficult is that my platoon sergeant and section commander are both half drunk and possessed of an absurd amount of harmful b-----?. We eventually got into the village of Pozieres which you could walk over the top of in the dark and not known it, so well had the big guns done the work of demolition. We (13 platoon) remained there as support in shell holes for a while and dug in as best we could but some were called in to the close support trenches. A very dangerous position 50 yards from the edge of the village. Huns on 3 sides of us. Came out again 2 hours after to find that every available man in the company had come up.

Tuesday July 25th

About 3.30 am just before dawn we moved out in extended order after having sorted ourselves out through the edge of the village and the cemetery without meeting any spirited resistance from the Hun garrison but the artillery opened up their shrapnel in good slyh? D company eventually established a line in broken shell holes and here the brigade and D coy especially got a good many prisoners (about 150 in all). A B and C company’s were on our left. A lot of Huns gave themselves up later on in the day. About 2 o/c we took possession of island traversed communication trench running at right angles to our front. About 8 o/c the Hun very heavily bombarded the village with shrapnel and HE. Between a drunken sergeant and corporal we have not had the best of leadership but the sergeant was killed this morning endeavouring to prevent our some of our chaps firing on Huns who were wanting to surrender. We have been shelled very heavily all day and night knowing that our position was not a very enviable one from a strategic point of view in case of a counter-attack we made all preparations rapidly. At 10.30 there was a patrol went out in front of which I made one and we remained there till 2 o/c. Nothing much happened except a pretty severe bombardment all round.

Wednesday July 26th

When we got in we were served out with rations rum and water which had arrived. We are to dig a new line facing our front and line up with the 6th on our right. Everything was upside down, however when we started and no one seemed to know what we wanted we try a bit in one place and then were told we were wrong and so on. All the time daylight was drawing near. Eventually it being nearly light and having little or no cover where we were, we were compelled to return to our position in 2’s and 3’s. Marvellous to say we had only about three casualties from machine gun fire on our left. Later as we began to get bombarded by our own artillery owing to the necessary precautions to prevent same having not been taken. Several of the officers NCOs and men were under the influence of drink and we have lost some of our best men owing to their inability to manage things properly. About 7 o/c a full company of “Warwick’s” marched into our trench from the flank. They had been scouring the country in front and clearing communication trenches etc. Our battalion is now very sadly reduced in number, we having had severe casualties. A lot of the good “old boys” have been killed or wounded. One of the company lost its direction when we came to our present position and ----- casualties were thus caused but it could not of course be helped. Bill Colven has been killed, also Jack Ross who was here with the pioneer battalion. George Peatery? Was wounded whilst asleep beside me, also Ted Sloane and Frank Albury and several others. Captain James, Lt McCouville?, Lt Stephenson, Lt Taylor were killed and a lot of officers wounded. The artillery on both sides is tremendous. Expect something to happen soon as the Warwick officers and ours are in consultation.. In the afternoon a Warwick sergeant had his leg nearly blown off. I and 3 others took him down to the aid post 1.5 miles away. He was a model of bravery although one leg was practically off, besides 2 other minor wounds. The back of the aid post was literally strewn with hour dead and an awful sight. We were under fire the whole way we got through alright. THE barrage of 5.9’s in the ---- never stop. In the evening we were told to stand to and were given a pick and shovel and 2 sandbags each. A party of Warwick’s with a mixture of our own bombers attacked with bombs the Hun strong point at the crossroads but it was too strong for them and we had to leave it to the party that relieve us. A barricade was established however, we expected to go out and do tonight what we failed to do this morning but did not. The artillery fire is awful, 9.2’s 4 at a time.

There you are Frev, loads of names for you to work on !!

As you can see from the amount I am feeling better today, but I cannot promise the same amount every day. Feedback is required to keep me at it though so come on you lot. :rolleyes:

Regards

Julian

'McCouville'- McConville?

'slyh' - style?

'absurd b-' bravado, boasting - something like that maybe?

Compare how coll headed John is woth the drunk sergeant and section commander. Yiu can see why he's going to get commissioned. Alarming that the goggles and amsk didn;thelp woth the gas. I read something about that elsewhere one time but don't remember where.

Well, our John is in the thick of it now. I feel quite queasy just thinking about it.

Marina

Certainly in the thick of it now Jules. The fact that he was able to keep such an acurate diary under the circumstances is astounding. Obviously a very steady man. I have a feeling that promotion is not far off. Most of the men he has mentioned are listed as KIA on the AWM site. 2Lt Clarence Edward McConville is listed as KIA 25/07/1916. Keep up the great work.

Rgds

Tim

Certainly in the thick of it now Jules.  The fact that he was able to keep such an acurate diary under the circumstances is astounding.  Obviously a very steady man.  I have a feeling that promotion is not far off. Most of the men he has mentioned are listed as KIA on the AWM site.  2Lt Clarence Edward McConville is listed as KIA 25/07/1916.  Keep up the great work. 

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim

Yes it amazes me how he managed to write all this down amongst all the carnage around him. Just to wet your appetite I can tell you John was promoted temporary Corporal on 30/07/16 and 2nd Lieutenant 13/09/16, at least that is what his paybook tells me. Keep reading Tim your commentts are most welcome mate.

Cheers

Julian

Great work Jules. Hope you are giving yourself some time off over Easter.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Luckily I have been of work all this week, since the 18th in fact, so I have had plenty of rest. I just wish I could remember all those touch typing lessons I took years ago. Ironically enough I now work with the British Army, in a civilian IT support role, so when I go back to work I get squadie's asking me about the diary and taking an interest in it. Thanks for your support Andrew.

Regards

Julian

hi Julian,

What made things a little more difficult is that my platoon sergeant and section commander are both half drunk and possessed of an absurd amount of harmful b-----?.

I recon the missing word must be Booz. Its was common for farmers in that time to make their own liquer which uncontrolled contained high alcohol percentage umongst others and could be lethal.

I guess i would get boozed upp myself in these circumstances. Better to be numm then to fully understand your mates get knocked off. And your already weak nerves from being bombarded all the time shred to pieces. Keep it upp mate its a wonderfull job your doing.

coo-ee

patrick

Hi Patrick

How do you think they got hold of the booze then, was it just pillaged from the local villages?. I can sure see the need to get hold of it, to try and numb the pain from all that incessant shelling and the noise must have been terrible. The men must have felt terrible in themselves hardly having eaten for days and not being able to wash or change their clothes, it is really hard to imagine the hell they were going through. Thanks for your kind words Patrick.

Regards

Julian

Dear Jules.Glad you're on the mend.It seems like everybody's been on the booze judging by the spelling lately!!!!!.But seriously,could you or a forum member just maybe give us a brief overview of where we are and which regiments etc. were involved at this time.Keep up the brilliant job mate. Regards Steve.

But seriously,could you or a forum member just maybe give us a brief overview of where we are and which regiments etc. were involved at this time.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your kind words mate but as regards the other units involved I shall have to hand you over to Tim or Frev as they seem to know far more than me. Take it away Tim or Frev :P

Regards

Julian

38th Instalment

Thursday July 27th

We had heard rumours of being relieved today but did not think it was right. However we were agreeably confused when at 2 o/c the 24th battalion (a company) came in to relieve us and we moved out. Thankfully it was very dark and a good night for a relief and we went straight down to the battalion cookers and got a drink of hot tea, the first for some time. We then marched to the place where we first camped. Turned in and had a good sleep and then woke up to find a good meal awaiting us. The battalion has suffered very heavily there only being about 381 of us left after collecting all stragglers. We have had a very trying time and will want a good rest to reorganise before we are fit to fight again. Our CO is nowhere to be seen, I have not seen him since we went into the line. We got our overcopost-3340-1111958753.jpgats on the way here last night. We are camped just close to the original Hun line and practically alongside the huge La Boiselle crater. (See image below). It is 57 feet deep and was blown by 70 tons of ammonal. Perfectly marvellous. Things must have been very lively about here the 1st week in July. We left here about 6 o/c and picked up the rest of the brigade from then on. Arrived at our bivouac about 11 o/c. On the way I met Major Dexter. Issued with blankets and I slept like a log.

Friday July 28th

Awoke 9.30 and had a good breakfast. Then rifle gas helmet and foot inspection. About 2 o/ we got what can be considered in these times a very decent dinner and then we got an order to move at once thinking the Hun had broken through but it was not so and so we marched on passing through Millencourt where the 3rd and 4th Brigades are. General Brand (our late battalion commander) is in command of the latter, and as we passed his headquarters he had a big placard outside, “Well done 8th battalion” and we all gave him three good cheers. He is a fair old soldier. Arrived at Contay at 7.30 and billeted in a camp in the wood. To move off in the morning. Turned in 10 o/c. We get rum issued daily these times. It is however more of a curse than anything being unfairly dealt out, whereas it should be a Godsend.

Saturday July 29th

Unexpectedly awakened this morning at 4 am with the mews that we had to be on the road by 5 o/c. Got a drink of tea and started off through Herrisart, Rubempre, Talmas and stopped at La Vicogne where we were put into poor billets. A lot of us bivouacked in the orchard. I reckon we marched 12 miles this morning and it has hit us pretty hard as we have had a rough time. We got here about 10 o/c. We do not know our ultimate destination at all. A big crowd of reinforcements arrived tonight for 2nd brigade including 150 for our battalion. Viv Brown and Ted Schunde both wounded pretty badly.

Sunday July 30th

Left La Vicogne at 9 o/c and marched about 6 miles by a bad road. The country now is at its best, pleasant to march through, the crops are just ripening. Absolutely the best scenery I have seen looking down in the little village of Canaples situated in the bottom of a cup shaped ravine amongst green timber. We eventually settled down in billets in Canaples . Not much of a village to buy anything in, but there is plenty of water and we should have a good rest here.

Monday July 31st

Parade 9 o/c. Usual rifle inspection etc. Nothing else doing so rested all day. Concert in the evening given by the boys which was a blessing. Turned in early

Tuesday August 1st

Parade this morning. We are to remain here for 6 or 7 days to reorganise. Inspection of gas helmets by brigade gas NCO. It is essential to have parades here but we do precious little but while away the time. Afternoon parade.

Wednesday August 2nd

Usual parade. Bayonet fighting etc. A battalion canteen has been opened up here now and it is just the thing. Parade 2 o/c Bayonet fighting and games . Expecting mail now. Turned in early sleep well these times.

Thursday August 3rd

Up at 7 o/c and in the morning went for a four mile route march. Getting very hot just now. In the afternoon should have been an inspection of rifles by the armourer sergeant but he did not turn up so we had a spell. 6.55. Warned for picquet at 7 o/c till 10. Easy job.

Friday August 4th

First day of 3rd year of war commemorated by my being put in orders as promoted to temporary Corporal. I was rather surprised as I had been told I would get 1 stripe but not 2. In charge of 2 prisoners and escort for Court Martial. Finished early. 11.30 Warned to take over orderly Sgt’s duties. Going some, private yesterday and orderly Sgt today. Parade in the afternoon for all NCO’s of D company for lecture by Sgt Major Carson. Last man in bed at night first up in the morning. Turned in 10 o/c.

Saturday August 5th

Up at 6.45. Reveille 7 o/c Just before breakfast I was warned that I had to go to bayonet fighting school. At 8.30 Sgt Major nisbunch? attached to Division. A good man DCM and Russian Star George Cross and can take an interest in the work. Officers doing the course as well. 8.30 – 11 and 1.30 – 4.30. I have now been transferred to 16 platoon and am in charge of 13 section. Am satisfied of the absurdity of thinking 13 is an unlucky number. My bad luck has yet to come. Only 6 men in my section till we get reinforced.

Sunday August 6th

Bayonet fighting at 8.55 It was interesting although somewhat strenuous. Rumours of a shift tonight or tomorrow morning. Dismissed 10 o/c. Talk 2 o/c till 4.30.

Monday August 7th

Parade for BF 9 o/c till 11 and then dismissed with Sgt Major instructors blessing. To move at 2.30 to the last place on left, La Vicogne. Hot and very dusty. Went along to see Kirkland and some of them in the 5th battalion in the evening. No blankets turned up but I managed to get a fair amount of sleep with overcoat etc. We dressed to go to bed and undressed to get up.

Tuesday August 8th

Reveille 7 o/c. Brigade moved off at 9.30 on the Doulens Amiens road and then branched off through Val De Maison Puchevillers Toutencourt to Contay where we camped in the same wood-camp. Very stiff march and dozens fell out. R—h on 12 miles. Arrived at Conlay 4.30. No blankets again tonight. Not so cold in huts, slept fairly well.

Thats your lot folks for today. Keep the feedback coming.

Regards

Julian

Viv's back! I wondered what had happened to him after he got wounded.

Dressed to go to bed - undressed when they got up - what a life. At least he's sleeping all right, although I can't imagine how he manages. And he notices how pretty the countryside is - what a contrast to the front lines. Just shows what a steady man he is - bet he was a good corporal/orderly sergeant. Would never be drunk on duty like those mentioned earlier. Wonder what the courts martial were about?

Sleep well, Julian- you're doing sterling service!

Marina

350 left - how many started out?

I will certainly sleep well Marina, rest assured of that. I only have to think of John and the little amount of sleep he had to manage on. Incidentally I would think a battalion comprised of the order of 800 men, so you can see they had lost of the order of 420 men !!

Regards

Julian