Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Thanks Steve (Boreenatra) for drawing attention to Jules' new signature - unbelievable - a new elbow joint - what an amazing thing in those times - I guess one of the good things that came out of war was the advances made in prosthetics.

Jules - in answer to your question about the info - yep I cross ref with the Unit history, all the lovely info on the AWM website, other books etc etc. - it really is fun.

Slight problem (or 2) with photographing John's name on the Natimuk Memorial - there doesn't seem to be one - as such. There's the Natimuk & District Soldier's Memorial Hall, and there's also a Natimuk Memorial Rotunda - but can't find any evidence of a listing of names on either - or an Honour Board for the town. The other problem is that Natimuk is 324km NW of Melbourne & I'm about 40km east of Melb.

Some interesting news I've discovered today (especially for Marina) is that Viv BROWN also hailed from Natimuk. So back in Gallipoli when John & he were yarning about old times - they were probably old times pre-war.

Anyway, Marina - Viv's War Service Record is available on line (National Archives) if you want to have a bit of a look (it involves 100 pages - so I've only scanned a few) - but I can tell you he was born 19/12/1886, and was a Carpenter by trade (the tip of his 2nd finger on his right hand was missing when he enlisted).

He left England in March 1917 & would have arrived home a couple of months later. He re-enlisted in June 1918 with the Medical Corps Sea Transport.

In January 1918, Viv attended the 'send-off' for Albert SCHUNKE (the brother of Ted SCHUNKE who was wounded the same time as Viv in July 1916 - and later KIA 1917) In October 1918 he received his discharge & returned to Natimuk - with the intention of entering into the moving picture business with a friend.

[no that's not in his Records - I found some transcriptions of the 'West Wimmera Mail' - on line. For those non Victorians, or for that matter non Australians - Natimuk is in the Wimmera Region of Victoria.]

I also copied out the following interesting letter - which is just over a year ahead of were things are at present but .......... [and yeh - I know - I'd save a lot of time if I learnt to set up links to websites - maybe one day!!!]

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - February 8, 1918.

LETTERS FROM THE FRONT

Private Ernie FRANCIS formally of the "Mail" staff, writes from Belgium under date December 3, 1917, to a friend in Natimuk, as follows -

"The cold is just intense. We had snow yesterday morning and a wind that would bite through you blew all day and night. The wind has frozen the ground and where one had mud yesterday, only earth like stone exists today. I am writing this by candle light in an iron humpy, though the day is bright. The moisture from my breath is settled in drops from the ceiling about a foot above my head. My feet I am trying to thaw out in blankets and my fingers are often at the candle flame. Two others are trying to scribble home and are uttering imprecations on the cold. One has given up the game but if he waits till warmer times that letter will never be finished, and just to think that over there in our sunny Southland you have heat to spare. Things will be much nicer (I don't think) when we go out at 2.30pm, handling iron and barbed wire right into the hours of sleety darkness. And they talk of war. We can return to a warm drink of tea at any rate. But there are men who are sitting this weather out up in the front line and supports, with the watchful eye of German airmen ready to spot any incautious movement which will give their positions away. I do not think that people really understand just what their friends are undergoing for them. When they are not in the hell that one calls a battle it is a question of wait patiently in much rain and bitter wind. I got a great surprise when I learnt of the death of Ted SCHUNKE. I saw him a few days before he went in for the final time. He looked well and was quite happy. He had suffered more than his share for the sake of Australia. We never had any faith in the relief of the original men. But if they had done their part in Australia he would now have been safe and well. But what else can you expect from men who do not even back us up by carrying out their work in Australia. They can never have any idea of what men are undergoing to save their worthless skins. So far it has been left to men to say whether they value their lives more than the liberty of Australia, but I doubt if they are worthy of consideration. - Ernie Francis."

Cheers, Frev.

Whoops! almost forgot

Tue Aug 15th

..... had a good bath as well as ---si--- in a biscuit tin. - ? could it be a shave ?

...... marched through Albert getting to service trenches at 5.30. - back in Sausage Valley

Sorry for hogging the thread again - this time I'm really going!!

You are a lovely bloke Steve!!

So as not to hijack Jules' thread, could you kindly repost it here, and I can then say a little about the picture.

Many thanks

Kate

Hi Frev

Once again thanks for all the info. Not only was John's operation amazing but I have the X Ray pictures to show the bone growing over a period of a few months!! Don't worry asbout the pictures I asked for as the distance is way too much. I am told by Elsie Lange (john's empoyers daughter) that John's name is the on the Natimuk Honor Board in the Soldiers Memorial Hall and is also at the Cenotaph in Horsham. She also tells me the R.S.L in Natimuk are going to follow up on John's whereabouts through records at Canberra ? Any idea what this might mean Frev, anyway back to the diary.

Regards

Julian

Evening All

42nd Instalment

Friday August 18th

Reveille 6 o/c. Moved out each man carrying a tin of water, to reserve trench in sausage gully. Relieved some of the 7th battalion. The shelling has been pretty severe this morning although they have left us alone. Our regimental MO and his orderly were burned by a bursting shell in the line today and both had to go away. We have a new Doc now and miss the old fellow who is very popular, being absolutely fearless. Rumours of a hop out tonight. Things here have altered considerably since we were here last. The line has now been pushed forward considerably and places which were very lively previously are now comparatively peaceful. Arrived at reserve trench about 5.30 and were sent with 100 extra rounds of SAA, 2 sandbags and 2 bombs and then made our way up a very much battered communication trench to battalion HQ, and remained near by until close on 9 o/c. Previous to this however Mr Blackman had got all the NCO’s together and told them that A & C company’s were hopping out. We moved and occupied the hop out trench they left and upon being assured that they had taken their objection we are to dig accommodation trench towards them for our lines. Our artillery opened up a heavy kettledrum fire about 9 o/c and we hopped out to occupy the trench A and C company’s had left, but when we got half way we were blocked and whilst waiting got the full benefit of the Hun barrage, no cover. Twice our boys went at their objection and twice failed to get it. All available men were then got lined for a third attempt, D coy, however still being kept in reserve and incidentally getting badly blown about but it was no good. Our officers did some splendid work especially Captain Lodge, Lt Munning? and Lt Bordwin?. Our casualties were very severe. Captain Hardy and Lt’s O’Kelly?, Dabb? and Rodd? missing, Lt Doolen? killed, Captain Lodge Lts Beck, Tickle, Fox wounded and a large number of NCO’s and men killed and wounded. God knows to what the failure can be attributed, but machine gun fire seemed to come from totally unexpected quarters. The 7th battalion attempted assembly movement on our left with the same result. My platoon sergeant Sgt Whitfield was very badly wounded and I had to take over his duties.

Sorry not much tonight as it took ages to work out the text and now my eyes are killing me. Night all

Regards

Julian

Good installment though - what's a 'hop out' trench? Anyone know?

And what casualties. Very heavy on the officers as well as the men.

Remember the witch hazel for your eyes, Julian. very helpful. Sleep tight,

Marina

Evening Jules,

I figured Natimuk would have to have an Honour Board - but strangely 'RSL Victoria' have no listing (that I could find) on their website. I'm glad the Natimuk RSL are still operating, so many RSL's have simply died out in small country towns - sounds like they might be going to put together a history on John. You should get in touch with them - and if you do - tell them to photograph the Honour Board & send a copy to Victorian Branch (they're gathering photos & lists of names on HB's right around the State, before they start disappearing) - as well as one for yourself.

There's a photograph of the Horsham Cenotaph on the wonderful website 'War Memorials in Australia' - it's been described & there's no mention of any names listed (so I'm a little confused!).

Anyway, you gave me heaps more names to look into in the last instalment (no. 42) - so here goes. Oh, by the way where you've typed - they had taken their objection & Twice our boys went at their objection - I think it would be objective.

..... did some splendid work especially Captain Lodge, Lt Munning? and Lt Bordwin?

Capt Augustine Bernard LODGE was previously awarded a DSO - but didn't seem to get recommended this time. However Lt Clarence Tasman MUMMERY & 2/Lt Francis William GOODWIN both received Military Crosses for their work on the 18th.

Captain Hardy and Lt's O'Kelly?, Dabb? and Rodd? missing

Cpt Dudley Freeman HARDY, a School Teacher from Duntroon Military College who was born in Sth Australia - was KIA 18/8/1916, age 21 - and is buried in Pozieres Cemetery, France.

Lt Reginald Henry DABB, a Bank Clerk from Camperdown - DOW as a POW 26/9/1916, age 21 - and is buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery, Germany.

Lt Errol Edward RODDA, from Maldon was KIA 18/8/1916 and is buried in Adanac Military Cemetery, Miraumont-Pys, France.

Lt Leo Clement O'KELLY:

[from 'Cobbers in Khaki'] "The leader of No 11 and 12 Platoons of C Company was Lieutenant Leo O'Kelly, who, realising that he had to reach the German positions before the initial barrage lifted, rushed ahead to the enemy position, but was wounded in two places and captured. His men who had been somewhat slower in crossing the ground, came under heavy fire. Although some of them reached the concrete strong point and its adjacent trenches, few survived the deadly fire. One of the platoon sergeants shouted to his men, "Come back, lads, it's no good." The faltering of the attack forced the officers to pull their men back and reform them for a second assault on the enemy positions, which took the men up to the untenable enemy position. Upon his repatriation, O'Kelly spoke of his capture:

I was in charge of two platoons in an attack on an advanced German trench. After the attacking party left our front line it went 300 yards before [he] could get all his machine guns and trench mortars into play, I quickened the pace of the men. Shortly afterwards, when close to the hostile trench we were severely attacked with hand grenades which the enemy threw from his trench. Locating either a machine gun or a trench mortar with its crew I attempted to rush it. I was the only man to reach this trench, the remainder being hung up a short distance back. I was wounded before reaching the trench, and again when I reached it. The second wound rendered me unconscious. I then remember trying to crawl back, but could not get along and about eight Germans rushed out and brought me in."

[He was actually wounded by grenade in both legs, head & right arm - ironically, the Germans probably saved his life!]

Lt Doolen? killed, Captain Lodge, Lts Beck, Tickle, Fox wounded .......

2/Lt William Richard DOOLAN, was a 25 year old, married, Civil Servant (& a 2nd yr law student) - he was KIA 18/8/1916 and buried in Pozieres British Cemetery, France.

Lt Stanley Hatton BECK returned home in 1919

Lt Frank William TICKLE won a Military Cross in 1917

Nothing found for Lt Fox

Marina - perhaps someone else can set us straight - but I assume a 'hop out' trench is a very roughly dug trench, b/w the main trench line & no-man's land - purely for the men to gather in before going 'over the top' in a charge.

Cheers, Frev.

I'm back!

Forgot John's Platoon Sergeant - Sgt Whitfield who was very badly wounded. Sadly he died of his wounds 20/8/16 and is buried in Puchevillers British Cemetery, France.

I'm going, Frev.

Hi Frev

Very many thanks are again offered to yourself for the sterling work you are putting in. By the way you didn't say what the RSL stood for as I can't suss it out at all. Right now to get cracking on the next instalment as I did not manage to get any done at work today. Catch you later.

Regards

Julian

Here you are you lucky people, the next episode

43rd Instalment

Saturday August 19th

About 1.30 Mr Smith (my platoon commander) was ordered to get 2 NCO volunteers and 8 men to go into no mans land and bring in the wounded and collect discs etc from dead men. L/Cpl Hedge and I and 8 men went out within some distance and after a while had the satisfaction of getting one poor wounded fellow in and identifying several poor fellows who had been killed, but we could not go beyond a c-ta-fom- over the rise as the Hun had a M G barrage over the whole of the country. When we came in the whole of D company was ordered back to where they had left at 5.30. The line being left only lightly held and some in the supports and reserves. Just before daybreak it began to drizzle with rain and made things very miserable. The B seems to be absolutely broken up. Mr Smith came down wounded this morning. He had orders to remain in the line when we came back to reserve trenches. He was as happy as a sand boy. We have all had a most trying and nerve racking time and would welcome a good “Blighty”. The Hun barrage of fire over the trench known as “Munster Alley” running from the front line rear brigade HQ is very solid and very constant. Slept during part of the day and later on had to take a ration party of about 15 men up to the line and then took a message back from Mr Evans to the CO. 8 o/c. All 8th battalion Sergeants and Corporals paraded before the Adjutant. Every man to be ready to move at a moments notice in case of a counter attack. It is considered probable that one will be made. 9 – 10.30 stand to.

Sunday August 20th

Slept like a log last night. Had breakfast and received orders to move immediately after 8 o/c. Went down to brigade HQ and then went up to the line in parties of ten. It fell to my platoon to be in support 50 yards in rear of the front line. Rumours of the 2nd brigade being relieved very shortly. I was in charge of observation first with 6 men. Shells have been lobbing around the support trench all day and we had a few casualties. 4.30 In charge of salvage party to go back to brigade dump. Told by RSM to remain there till 7.30 and then take ration party up to the line, but was then told to remain at the dump for the night. Found a dug out and turned in.

Monday August 21st

Awakened in the early hours of the morning by a gas alarm. The Hun put over a large number of gas shells and we had to put our respirators on for a long while. The gully was soon full of gas. Reported to RSM at 8 o/c to take up ration party to the line bringing back salvage. After dawn took up another party, not too good a job have to go through a new vicious barrage each time. Then went back to reserve trench on the hill. To be relieved tonight by the 2nd Div. After tea I and another Corporal were warned to report to RSM at 7.30 as guides for the relieving troops. About 8.15 me and 2 officers led the 19th battalion to the firing line and supports came out with the relieved supports and marched to Albert where we arrived about midnight dog tired. Once more I am through without harm and consider myself lucky. I have been up and down along Munster Alley time after time and it was and it was pretty hot. A drink of hot tea when we arrived. Pretty cold.

Tuesday August 22nd

Left Albert at 9 o/c. I received 9 letters and a parcel from Win (sister) and a parcel from home this morning. They were very acceptable and were nearly the cause of my being late for parade. Marched to Wardoy? Where we billeted. It is a fair sized town and one of the best we have been billeted in. Rumoured that we are bound for Doullens to entrain for the north.

Wednesday August 23rd

Moved out at 8.30 and marched about 6 miles to Rubempre where we arrived at 11.30. We passed General Birdwood in his car as he had look at us in Contay. We came via Herrisart. Turned in early.

Thursday August 24th

Packs for the whole brigade are to be carried today for some unaccountable reason but can only conclude that the length of the march will be doubled. Moved out and marched through Poucevillers , Sarton Orville and camped in a hutment camp just the other side of Amplier. The march was not half bad without packs. The whole brigade is here . Got here about 4 o/c. issued with blankets and bed, bonza sleep.

Friday August 25th

Parade 9.30. Inspection and correction of kit. Boot parade. Dismissed 11.30. Did some washing. No parade in afternoon. Permission to go into the village after 4 o/c. 5th and 6th battalion moving tonight to entrain not far from here. They are going to Hazebrouck. 7th and 8th battalions probably going in the morning.

Saturday August 26th

Moved out about 8.30 and marched to siding at Authieule where we entrained without a hitch and the train left about 10 o/c. We travelled via St Pol ? and Hazebrouck to Godewaersvelde detraining here and marching about 8 miles into Belgian territory through most magnificent scenery. Arrived at our camp just on the outskirts of the town of Reningelst at 9 o/c.

Sunday August 27th

Awoke about 8.30, had breakfast and cleaned up for inspection, went for a stroll round the town about 10 o/c. Found it to be quite a decent sized town. We went to a big YMCA tent where there was a fine song service. The Canadians have been in occupation here for a long while and have things very comfortable. One can buy practically anything here and it is A1. Hope we stop here for a while. We are 7 miles from Ypres and only 2K from Poppingst? both of which are big towns. Went out with Corporal Binder in the evening, had to coin to him and went to the song service again. A Canadian Scotch hand played the hymns and I never sang so heavily in my life. Had a yarn to 3 or 4 Canadian chaplains and they were very decent. Back in camp 9 o/c to find I was warned for Corporal of the guard in the morning. The speech at the song service was Major Birch and his address was excellent. Rumours of a shift from here before very long.

Thats your lot for today folks, back tomorrow.

Regrds

Julian

the lachrymose gas, did he call it?

Marina

He would have been referring to lachrymatory, which in turn derives from lacrimal meaning 'tears'. The lacrimal glands are the glands that produce tears when crying. Lachrymatory gas (or tear gas) had the effect of making the eyes puffy and swollen, making it difficult for men to use weapons for example. Some lachrymatory and the related agents that caused sneezing and coughing also had the ability to penetrate gas masks more readily. Thus they would be used in combination with more deadly gases such as phosgene. The soldiers would put on their gas masks, then have to remove them because of the tearing effect only to succumb to the more toxic gas. Nasty business all round and in no way remiscent of hyacinths (other than the smell) - hyacinth buckets maybe, but thats another war.

Robert

Bumper installment today, Jules. That was good. He does sound tired - and singing heartily at the service - hmmm - must be geting to him.

Marina

Hi Marina

Trying to get the current book finished before going to my folks at the weekend, so I can print it off for them. I must be spoiling you Marina !! :D

Regards

Julian

By the way you didn't say what the RSL stood for as I can't suss it out at all.

Sorry Jules - Must have forgotten you weren't an Aussie - R.S.L. stands for Returned & Services League. They've been looking after our Vets since WW1.

Instalment 43:

Aug 22nd

Wardoy? - Warloy

Aug 26th

St Pol? - probably shortened version of St-Pol-sur Ternoise

Aug 27th

Poppingst? - Poperinghe

Cheers, Frev

Don't be going now, Frev, your insights are backing Pompey's narrative wonderfully!

What is kettledrum fire, is it anything like the creeping barrage?

Machine gun from unexpected quarters? Did they not have scouts to find out these things? Or did the Germans move the guns at times to cause confusion?

As you can see I'm a little behind, as work interfers with forum watching. Bugar work.

But then, have to eat.

Marina

He would have been referring to lachrymatory, which in turn derives from lacrimal meaning 'tears'.

Robert - sorry - didn't mean to ignore your post. I only just noticed it today - thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard before that they mixed the gases like that - truly horrible!

Thanks again,

Marina

Hi All

Here is the next instalment

44th Instalment

Monday August 28th

Mounted guard at 9 o/c. Things very quiet. Only a small guard. Got 8 more men at 6.30 for gas guard as this place has a great reputation for gas, being the first place against which the Hun launched it. Visited at 1 o/c and 4 o/c in the morning.

Tuesday August 29th

Came off guard at 9.30. Went for a stroll around the town in the morning. When I got back found orders had been issued to move at 1.15. 1.30 battalion moved out and marched to Poperinghe. To where the whole battalion was billeted in one big building. Possibly at one time a hotel or boarding house. It is now capable of holding 1000 men and 20 horses. The whole brigade is here. Went and saw some of the 5th battalion chaps in the evening. “Popp” as the boys call it quite a big place and there is still a good percentage of the civilian population here. It has had a bad knocking about but not nearly as bad as Albert. Expect to go in? the line very soon to where the Canadians are.

Wednesday August 30th

Gas helmet inspection. It has been raining ever since we got here and things are very muddy but we went for a long bonza hot bath in the afternoon and got a change of clothes. A party of officers and NCOs going up to the line tonight to make reconnaissance. Expect to move tomorrow.

Thursday August 31st

Gas helmet inspection and -ic--- to Coy by the MO. To be ready to move at any minute. No parade in the afternoon. Was told by Las Mummery this morning but my name had gone in to be recommended for a commission and would be through shortly. Although I had heard rumours of it, it came rather as a surprise to me. It is a big responsibility from junior NC rank. Went out in the afternoon with Vic Binder and made a few purchases including stars, then went to the cinema which is quite a good show being so close to the line. In billet at 5.30. Battalion moved out about 7.30 in full marching order to Poperinghe railway station and entrained getting out at the Ypres Asylum, A few shells on the line. Guides met each platoon and we marched up to the line on the right of Hill 4 to relieve the Kings Own. 13 and 15 platoons in the line and 14 and16 in reserve. C company battalion reserve. A and B on our right! 16 platoon supplying crater snatching party and miners. Trenches in pretty rotten repair. This is the land of the minenwerfers.

Friday September 1st

Sgt Temple who is expecting his commission shortly is acting and doing duties as an officer as we are a bit short, and so I am now platoon Sergeant. We stand to from 4-5 in the morning and 8-9 at night. Things are pretty quiet here except for “minnies”.

Saturday September 2nd

Gas is the chief thing we have to worry about here and gas guards are always kept going. Things have been pretty quiet here today but tonight at about 7.30 gas sirens went off first on our right and then on the left, and then hundreds of them got going and we all got the wind up thinking it was a gas attack but it was our people putting gas over on the right and the sirens sounded in case it might blow onto our own lines owing to the very twisty nature of the line.

Sunday September 3rd

I am pretty busy doing the night and day relieving the shifts of the runners and gas guards and at times I have to do a gas guard myself as the boys get very little sleep and a turn from me helps them a little. We have a company canteen here which is A1. Things are pretty quiet and we are making great improvement in the trenches.

Monday September 4th

One of our lines gunners was killed by a rifle grenade last night. Fritz got a bit wild with our working parties in the night and made things lively with his big “minnies” for a while. In the afternoon Timmy? Jones and I went for a stroll along the line as far as the Railway Bridge just to the right of Hill 1V. It is a very poor trench and one needs to be very careful to crawl along in places as the Hun snipers have proved themselves never failing. The 3rd battalion are on our left. About 3 o/c we had 2 or 3 heavy showers which made everything wet and muddy. Stand to 8-9 and then turned in. Unfavourable wind for gas.

Tuesday September 5th

Usual stand to and ----issne. Fritz was pretty lucky with minnies again this morning and last night. You can see them coming in the daytime but at night can do nothing. The trenches are falling in, in all directions as a result of the wet and it entails a good deal of work . The rain continues and we are in wind and slush up to our ankles. Things are pretty quiet just now.

Wednesday September 6th

Fritz was quiet last night. Some trenches and dug outs have fallen in and things are pretty wet and unstable. It was foggy and miserable at daybreak but eventually proved to be a fine morning. The sun has shone nearly all day doing a lot of good. Dick Daley’s’ dug out having fallen in he is camping with us and we are a happy crowd and don’t care tuppence for anything in spite of rain and slush. Our fellows have been practising with rifle grenades today, so suppose there will be some “hurry up” now. The wind was favourable to Fritz for gas last night so gas guards were doubled and we were not allowed to sleep.

Thursday September 7th

Things very quiet last night. Usual stand to and rum issue. A fine clear morning. A Minenwerfer dropped on one of the company Hq’s of the 1st battalion yesterday killing 6 officers, 4 signallers and a sergeant. A lot of the 3rd brigade officers here today. Expect to be relieved after 12 days occupation of the trenches. Nothing doing during the night.

Friday September 8th

We have some great trench feeds these times since we have a canteen in the trenches. Expect my commission through soon. Issued with fine gun boots for wet weather. Everything very quiet now. Must have Fritz bluffed.

That's all till next time folks

regards

Julian

Just got in from a staff nght out but couldn';t go to bed until I'd seen the Daily Post! Commissioned - fantastic.

Night, everybody!

Marina

Great stuff Jules,

Lieut Clarence Tasman 'Tas' Mummery MC & Bar was the bearer of the news about his commissioning. It appears Mummery was probably Adjutant at the time. He was KIA on the 20th October 1917 and is mentioned a number of times in the unit history.

I noted on Page 171 of 'Cobbers in Khaki' that your grandad is sitting with Lt Donovan Joynt VC, Capt Alex Campbell DSO and 2Lt Percy Lay MC DCM MM. Your grandad is not named. Some company hey?

Rgds

Tim

Afternoon all

45th Instalment

Saturday September 9th

A few minnies last night to which our artillery and Stokes? replied vigorously. A big Australian mail in today and I was not forgotten. We are all quite happy now with a canteen mail and fine weather.

Sunday September 10th

Minnies decidedly lively last night. We are to be relieved by the 5th battalion very shortly and going into reserve about 3 miles back and send working parties up here to be to the 5th and 7th as they have been doing for us.

Monday September 11th

I was on gas guard (voluntarily) from 1-4 this morning and so had little or no sleep. Sammy Temple got his commission last night. About 1 o/c we stirred Fritz up and he got very nasty and put over a considerable number of minnies, also plenty of high explosive and phosphorous shells. He did a good deal of damage to our trenches especially the reserve trench. I had a pretty close escape from being blown to atoms. Had I remained where I was I would have got the bomb right on top of me, but seeing it coming I made a dive for a shell hole and only got splashes of mud and dirt. The effect of the Minnie is very local. Our battalion had 2 killed and 6 wounded as a result of this. t lasted about 45 minutes and was a little too exciting to be funny. The Hun appears to have the upper hand in trench mortar work. Things quiet for the rest of the day.

Tuesday September 12th

Usual stand to. We have had an exceptionally quiet time today and it has taken me all my time to fill in the day. Advance party of officers and NCOs from the 5th battalion arrived here tonight and will take over from us in the morning.

Wednesday September 13th

Showery miserable weather today. Shall be glad to get away form here after 14 days amongst the rats and lice. Our packs and blankets are to be carried for us tonight. Fritz gave us a lively send off with minnies after tea. I understand however that we are getting a trench mortar into position which will throw a 190 lb bomb. Stood to from 7.45 till 5th battalion arrived and handed over to them and went straight out to dug-outs 3 miles back near the canal. Good dug out. Breaking day when we arrived.

Friday September 14th

I was pretty crook last night with a touch of gastritis and also for the rest of the day. Good thing there was nothing doing. Our packs arrived this morning. We are quite close now to the city of Ypres which has evidently been a very big place but is now only a mass of ruins, although about a brigade of troops is billeted in its cellars etc, and Ia-fa--- covered shells of houses. Volunteers for a raiding party wanted. Not taking it on with a view of my commission coming through shortly. Turned in early for a good sleep.

Saturday September 15th

Awakened at 3.30 and told to get 2 parties each of 8 men with myself and another NCO to go on fatigue in the line. Supposed to be an b—n lats? in starting but got to our job an hour before required. Who would not be a soldier! Worked from 6-2.30 at –evetling? trenches in a very sound and sensible manner with “A” frames. Back about 3 o/c. Things very quiet in the line. Turned in early at night.

Saturday September 16th

Awakened at 10 0/c last night by fairly heavy bombardment. There must have been a raid followed by a gas attack and the explosion of a large mine on the left of Ypres but owing to the rain it has evidently been cancelled. We had to stand to from 10 o/c and got an order to carry on about 11.45. Reveille 5 o/c Breakfast 5.30. Fatigue parties moved outat 6.10. I got orders to act as Platoon Sergeant and so should have a little easier time while in reserve. Went up to C company this morning where we have a battalion canteen. The companies are very much scattered about. In the afternoon got an issue of clothing for the platoon and received a tunic and pants for myself which I was sadly in need of. We were paid after tea during which I was informed that my commission had come through in battalion orders. I had to report to my company commander Captain Hinney? who told me to report to OC C coy Lieutenant Evans which I did right away. On my way met Sgt Veal who asked me to do something for him at battalion HQ which was on my way. Ran bang into Colonel Coulter at H2 also other officers on H2 to whom I was introduced. The Colonel bade me sit down and tell them by letter the good news at home which I did. Went back to D company for my kit and took it to Company H2 where I shall camp as I am transferred to C company.

Sunday September 17th

There was something doing last night. A raid I fancy to ascertain to what extent the Hun lines were held and make sure they were not evacuating which is not considered unlikely. Awoke about 9 o/c and had a good breakfast. A slight difference from my usual breakfast. Not much for officers to do here except take a fatigue party to the line once in about 4 days. We mess very well here. Wrote letters during the day. Voluntary church service about 7.30 at night. Audited pay books in the evening. Turned in 9.30.

Monday September 18th

Up at 9 o/c. Company orderly left nothing to do. Raining steadily all day. Our dug outs leak like one thing and we have had lots to do to keep our home from getting swamped. Everything slushy. Turned in early at night.

Thats the end of the 3rd book folks so you will have to be patient for the next lot as I have to check what is at my parents house this weekend. Take care all.

Regards

Julian

Don't be going now,  Frev, your insights are backing Pompey's narrative wonderfully!

What is kettledrum fire, is it anything like the creeping barrage?

Machine gun from unexpected quarters? Did they not have scouts to find out these things? Or did the Germans move the guns at times to cause confusion?

As you can see I'm a little behind, as work interfers with forum watching. Bugar work.

But then, have to eat.

Ozzie - I hadn't planned on going anywhere (not that it's obvious!!! - but I'm hooked!) - and then a terrible thought hit me - WHAT IF JULES DOESN'T FIND ANYMORE DIARIES IN THOSE SUITCASES! The rest of us might recover eventually - but what about Marina?

I hope all those hard questions (above) weren't directed to me - I'm sure someone can answer them though (like Andrew P or one of the Tim's)

Jules - more names etc.

44th Instalment

Mon Sept 4th

One of our lines gunners was killed by a rifle grenade last night.

This was Pte John Frederick TUCKER, 2795 - KIA 3/9/16 & buried in Woods Cemetery, Zillebeke.

45th Instalment

Sat Sept 9th

....... to which our artillery and Stokes? replied - Stokes mortars

Mon Sept 11th

Sammy Temple got his commission last night.

Lieut Alfred Douglas TEMPLE also known as 'Sammy' sailed as a private in the original H Coy with John (serv. no. 938)

Hopefully we'll hear more about him from John (fingers crossed) - when in 1917 he's awarded an MC & in 1918 a bar to that MC.

also Mon Sept 11th

Our battalion had 2 killed .........

These were:

Pte John W FIELDING, 2857 & Pte Tom J McKINLEY, 2256 - both KIA 11/9/16 & buried in the Woods Cemetery, Zillebeke.

Friday September 14th - Thursday September 14th

Saturday September 15th - Friday September 15th

Fri (Sat) Sept 15th

Worked 6-2.30 at -evetling? trenches in a very sound and sensible manner with "A" frames. - bracing, reinforcing - can't come up with a word that looks like -evetling

Sat Sept 16th

..... company commander Captain Hinney? ........ - Cpt James S HURREY

Well Jules - I hope you have a great weekend with your parents - and find lots of wonderful goodies in those suitcases.

Fingers crossed, Frev.

WHAT IF JULES DOESN'T FIND ANYMORE DIARIES IN THOSE SUITCASES! The rest of us might recover eventually - but what about Marina?

I've been fretting a bit about that, Frev.

Mon Sept 11th

Sammy Temple got his commission last night.

Lieut Alfred Douglas TEMPLE also known as 'Sammy' sailed as a private in the original H Coy with John (serv. no. 938)

Hopefully we'll hear more about him from John (fingers crossed) - when in 1917 he's awarded an MC & in 1918 a bar to that MC.

Surely there will be an account in a diary - just a little diary...

Hurry home, Jules!

Marina

HI Folks

Just got back from my parents place. I have been digging deep all day but the news is not good I am afraid. Suffice to say that I have not found any more diary books or any medals. I cannot categorically say they do not exist but I have looked in most of the available places they might be. I found some stuff even my parents did not know they had. I have got John's commissioning warrant ? in a frame as well as some pictures of him as an officer. Also I have a print of a painting of the landing at Anzac cove and a couple of photos I shall need some help in identifying. One is of a ship called the Saxon, does that ring any bells with anyone? I will post it as soon as I can get it scanned. I feel I owe you all an apology as I really wanted to find any other books of the diary, but alas it would seem they either do not exist, have been lost over time, or I simply have not yet found them. Rest assured I shall keep looking when I get the chance. Take care all and good night, or good morning to all the Aussies out there.

regards

Julian