Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

HI Frev and Unclespud

Just so you can see what I am up against I have managed to scan a page of the diary today so you can see how hard it is to read.

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules

I see what you mean - and we all thought you were having fun!!!!!

I bet you're really wishing about now, that your grandmother had rewritten all the diaries.

Anyway, if you have the ability to keep scanning - show us some pages you can't read. I'm a little out of practice, but back in the days when I was doing my family history, I spent years scanning old documents - so may be of some help.

By the way, the photo of John printed out beautifully.

Do you know the name of the 77 yr old farmer's daughter?

Tony (Unclespud)

At the risk of sending Jules green with envy - both your great uncle's War Service records are on-line at the Australian National Archives website (sorry - I don't know how to link you there - not that technical yet - but if you have any trouble I'm sure someone can help)

They were both 'originals', & your G/uncle Edwin's service no. was actually 809, so he and Herbert enlisted & sailed together on the 'Benalla' with John Pitt.

Both were at Gallipoli - but Edwin was sent back to Aus in Jan 1916 'for a change' due to his bout of Enteric Fever. He re-sailed with the 18th Reinforcements (8th Bn) in July 1916 - so he's most likely in your group photo - but Herbert wouldn't be.

Cheers, Frev

Is John in this pic as well as your relative, Spud?

Marina

Hi Marina and Unclespud

If John is in the picture it would be news to me. When was it taken do you know Unclespud?

I see what you mean - and we all thought you were having fun!!!!!

By the way, the photo of John printed out beautifully.

Do you know the name of the 77 yr old farmer's daughter?

Hi Frev

Glad you can empathise with me now !! The 77 year old farmers daughter is called Miss Emily Lange and she lives in Natimuk where John used to work. It was a great stroke of luck to get in contact as I wrote to the local historical society and it was them who put her in touch with me. Just need to find the time to write back now. !

Regards

Julian

Hi All

Sorry to keep you waiting Ozzie !

32nd Instalment

Friday June 9th

Cleaning up day. Parade 9 o/c. and went for a 4 mile route march. In camp 11o/c. 12 o/c struck tents etc. 2.30 Washing parade to the laundry. Played cards the rest of the day.

Saturday June 10th

Nothing doing all the morning. 2.15 Parade on BR 250. It then started to rain and continued until 4 o/c during which time we were getting instruction in bomb throwing. Stopped raining 4 o/c and then we had practical instruction in throwing live bombs. In camp 6.30.

Sunday June 11th

Church parade 9 o/c. A very good sermon picturing the late Lord Kitchener as a model man embodying the necessary qualities namely Strength, Courage and Purity. Drizzled with rain all the afternoon. A large number of troops have passed here during the last couple of days going both ways; annoyed there being a number of Australians. Think there is something doing. News of the great Russian success against the Austrians. Turned in early at night.

Monday June 12th

Duty company, I was one of the lucky ones that happened not to be on any particular fatigue or guard, and so escaped free for the day. It was just as well as it had been a most miserable cold and wet day; drizzling with rain. Troops continue to pass up and down the line in large numbers.

Tuesday June 13th

Reveille 5.30. Parade 6.30. Short march before breakfast. Back at 7 o/c. Understand from the Sgt-Major that 95 men are declared efficient and able to be included in a draft very soon. Parade 9.30 Route march of about 7 miles to Slelen? Place and back. Bathing parade in the afternoon.

Wednesday June 14th

It rained like fury last night and our tent was pretty well flooded. Warned for guard tonight. No parade in the morning. Parade 9 o/c in full marching order and practised guard routine for half an hour. Mounted guard 5.45. On first relief No 1 post. 2 big loads of Australian troops have passed here today.

Comments please are most welcome

Regards

Julian

Hi, Jules - I've been in and out all evening, looking for the next installment and i clicked on a minute ago and there it was.

Flooded tents next - and all those lorries passing by is giving me the shudders. I suppose it's knowing what's ahead of them makes me feel that way. Obviously, John didn't PLAN to write his diary in any way except to show things as they happened, but there really is a sense of mounting tension and big things about to happen here. And all mixed in with the ordianry things like Parade and gurd and baths.

CYA tomorrow, John!

Marina

Hi All

I must offer my apologies as I have not had any time to do the diary today, will try to do double helpings tomorrow.

All the best

Julian

Many thanks Marina, you are too kind !! :D

Julian

Well, it just occurred to me that if you go on at this rate, then the diary will be all finished much sooner, and then what will we do? :lol:

Marina

Hi All

Welcome back to the all new looking forum. I have been away for a few days so I apologise for keeping you all waiting

33rd Instalment

Thursday June 15th

The clock were put on an hour at midnight last night owing to the daylight saving bill having come into force in France and some have 23 hours to do nothing. Pretty cold on guard during the night. More Australians passed here today. 3.30pm. A stenographer required in the orderly room. I hooked on to it and was relieved from guard on the company commanders orders and paraded at 4 o/c but not wanted till later. Called up at 6 o/c to take contents? at enquiry.

Friday June 16th

160 men of the 2nd brigade went up to reinforce the 5th 6th and 7th battalions early this morning. None of the 8th went. Dame Fortune must still smile on the old battalion. Reveille 5.30 Parade full marching order. 6 o/c Short march till 7 o/c. Parade 8.30 in full marching order as if moving off to the line. Kit bags and all surplus gear handed in. Marched on to the parade ground while the heads raided our tents. Washing parade 1030. Struck tents and washed floors. Nothing doing for the rest of the day. Hoping to get some mail soon.

Saturday June 17th

Missed the early morning parade. N--- let first in the morning. 2M’s fatigue 2 o/c and again after tea. Wallabies passing here every day. They must surely be coming from Egypt. The weather here is most unseasonable. Pitched tents after tea.

Sunday June 18th

Lay in for an extra half an hour at the penalty of being roused by the Sgt Major. 9 o/c Church parade. A good service. Nothing doing for the rest of the day. At times it is hard to fill in the time. The weather is rotten.

Monday June 19th

Reveille 8.30 parade 6 o/c marched till 6.30. Parade 9 o/c. 8 mile route march till 12 o/c. Drizzling with rain all the way. 2 o/c warned for guard. 2.30 wanted at orderly room and paraded before the adjutant. He wishes me to take the place of a man on leave for a week. A good job while it lasts.. Went there at 6 o/c and typed the orders for the battalion during? divisional H2.

Tuesday June 20th

Do not go on early morning parade these times. Orderly room after breakfast. Not much to do. A little clerical work and type orders at night. It is surprising what a lot of work there is to do in a B.O.O..

Wednesday June 21st

A little more to do today as I am getting on to the run of the books and am able give a hand. Radical alterations are being made by the new CO Major Lucton?

Thursday June 22nd

4 of the second brigade officers went away to the line last night. Nothing very startling happened in the C C today. I do book work most of the day and at night I type and issue the orders.

Friday June 23rd

We had absolutely the heaviest thunderstorm I have ever witnessed just after dawn today.. It simply poured down. Got the orders only tonight. As a rule it is 9 pm before I am finished.

Saturday June 24th

Rained heavily last night. Usual routine through the day. It is after 9 o/c before I can get away from the CO these times and then one can only go to bed but I am going on poss? to Paris Plage tomorrow which will be some reward for my labours.

Sunday June 25th

The entrenching battalion made up of reinforcements from the 1st Division battalions went away this morning. They passed here in the main about 10 o/c in the best of spirits. It has been a bonza day toady and at 3 o/c I left ---ase for Paris Plage. The trams run from Etaples to PP the fare being 20c and the road which is cut through a dense forest of light timber, is a very good one and the train back is on the extreme right of the road, slightly above the road level. The tram is a very decent one and apparently a popular beach resort. The promenade being something quite extra special. The population seem above the average class. Hot bath and a decent meal were well worth going in for. I am lucky to get in at all the percentage of passes for non commissioned rank being very small but as I happened to be in the place where the passes emanate I managed to get one. Back to camp about 6.30 and then had to get the orders done.

Monday June 26th

Started to rain after breakfast and continued drizzling all day. Sgt who I relieved returned from leave today and so I shall soon finish up in the orderly room. It has been a pleasant break however. Australians still passing here going up to the line.

Tuesday June 27th

Early morning parade kit inspection. 9 0/c route march of about 7 miles. In camp about 12 o/c. 2 o/c left camp in full marching order ----eal and went to the BR. In to camp duties which consisted of digging etc. Formed up and occupied the trench system till 7.30 when we were relieved. In camp 8 o/c. Warned for water picquet at

5.30 in the morning.

Wednesday June 28th

Water picquet at 5.45. Still most wretched and unseasonable weather. Very easy job, managed to make it last just till the boys had gone out on a night route march. They returned at 10 o/c.

Thursday June 29th

Drizzling with rain early this morning and so there was no early morning parade. 9 o/c Route march to the ruined sanatorium and back. Did nothing in the afternoon or evening.

Friday June 30th

Drizzling with rain most of the day and particularly cold for the time of the year. Nothing doing in the morning. 2.30 washing parade. 8.30 parade. Went into the trenches and remained there until 11.30. A party attacked trench we were in. Blanks and rockets used. In camp at midnight, hot tea for us.

Saturday July 1st

Reveille 6.45 owing to us being late out last night. 8.15 parade for BR lecture on grenades and Skirmishing. Smoks and bayonet fighting. In camp 1 o/c. Marched into Etaples near ordnance and had a steam bath, a splendid dip. A big batch of Australian reinforcements arrived here today. The traffic on the line here is tremendous, hospital trains, troop trains and trains loaded with guns. One batch of twelve engines hitched on to one another went down towards the line tonight. Something doing.

Sunday July 2nd

Church parade 8.45. Very good address holding up Lord Roberts and his religious habits as an example of an ideal soldier. The weather is a little more seasonable just now. News of the start of the Franco British offensive. Teddy Langton down to see me tonight.

That should keep you going Marina, until I can type up some more that is. Comments welcome as usual.

Regards

Julian

Welcome back, Jules! All together now, 1,2,3:

'Here we are again

Happy as can be

All good friends and jolly good company!'

How strange it is that John should know so little of what was happening on July 1st. And all those troops passing by them - it is quite eerie to think of what they were going to...

You know, he seemed to like more exciting times best - he is bored. Although I don't suppose his quiet time

will last long.

Glad you're back in action, Julian.

Marina

Hi Marina

I think all the troops were largely kept in the dark with regard to information, mainly for security reasons. They were only told what they needed to know which wasn't much. With such primitive communications available to them most of their news would be quite old by the time they got it I guess. I am sure Frev or Petrick could give us some more background info, they seem to be the ones with the knowledge. Will post some more tomorrow.

Regards

Julian

Hi Julian,

apologies for not inputting recently. Work, etc and my first visit to Ypres preventing.

Once again the daily account of a young, honest hero is documented.

Whilst we with an interest in WW1 wait with I'm sure a small tingle of dread in our bellies as we await his experiences of conflict on the Western Front.

Christian

Hi julian,

Still reading your installments with much anticipation. As always eager to read the next one. Hows the old eyesight keeping upp. Do you use a magnifying glass for decifering the handwriting??

coo-ee

patrick

Dear Jules. Welcome back mate.Just a thought that its a shame that John didn't type his diary as he was typing the orders. It would have been easier for you!!!

Saw the Great War prog this afternoon,concentrating on the Russian/German fronts and was amazed at how unprepared the Russian Army was (no boots etc) and then it followed on about the lack of ammunition,guns etc. that the Allies had,and how there was no real warning about the gas attacks.It was something Marina said about wondering if John knew what was really happening elsewhere,and if they felt they had enough of what they needed to get the job done.It strikes me that nothing much has changed even today(wrong type of software for Chinooks and the like).Anyway you are following in the family tradition of transcribing, so keep up the good work.

P.S. Today is the Anniversary of the death of my wife's great grandfather Private John Guerins who is buried in the Tralee Military Cemetery.Hope you don't mind me finding any excuse to mention his name. Regards Steve.

HI Christian Patrick and Steve

Thanks for letting me know you are still avidly reading my scribbles, it was great to hear from you all. You are so right Steve, it would have made things much easier for me if my grandfather could have dragged a typewriter around with him, through Gallipoli and the Western Front!! Patrick I never really thought of using a magnifying glass, maybe I should try that. After an evenings transcribing my eyes are well aware that I have been asking a lot of them that's for sure!!

Christian, many thanks for your thoughts, it's nice to know you are still with us. I really feel as though I have have made many new friends since I started all this. Right back to the typing of the next instalment. Thanks again to you all.

Regards

Julian

Hi All and here is the next episode

34th Instalment

Monday July 3rd

Parades 6.30 and 7 o/c. Went down to the shore with helmets, padded jackets gloves etc and spring bayoneted rifles, we practised bayonet fighting and then rifle exercises. In camp 12 o/c. 1.30 All available men in the battalion paraded in full marching order without packs and with towels marched to Paris Plage, and bathed in the sea. Left there 4.30. In camp 6.30. Marched 12 miles altogether which is pretty good going. A boxing stadium has been erected here now.

Tuesday July 4th

Parade 6 - 6.30, and at 8.30 for BR. Sand bog ----etinens? building. Bayonet fighting, smoks and then a lecture on gas. In camp 1 o/c nothing doing in the afternoon. Went into the town at 5.30 and had a look around. Back at 8.30 to find a letter from Boy with news of poor little Peters death. It fairly knocked me flat. A very distant sound of guns can occasionally be heard here and this afternoon it was particularly loud.

Wednesday July 5th

Parade 6.30. Duty Company. I was on cooks fatigue. In the afternoon I was warned for a draft to rejoin my battalion. Medical inspections 2 o/c which I passed easily. 3 o/c Parade at QM’s for shortages. 4 o/c Parade to give information 7.30 Parade for 6 “C’s” inspection. Standing in full marching order for nearly 2hours. Issued with 24 hours rations. Move off in the morning. 50 of the 8th battalion and 40 of the 7th. Issued with 2 gas helmets and star shell goggles etc.

Thursday July 6th

Reveille 4.15. Breakfast 4.30. Parade 5.15. Issued with 170 rounds of ammunition. Moved off at 5.30, halted at the Mortuarns? Where the band picked us up and played us into the station to the tune of “Boys of the Dardanelles”

We entrained at the siding and the train was due to leave at 7.15 but did not get away till 10.30. We got a loud “hoy” going past the camp. Went straight through Boulogne and stopped at Calais at 2 o/c where we remained for half an hour for refreshment. The country is beautiful and most productive. The women here appear to do all kinds of physical labour in these tortuous times. The country is very much like that of the old country. Arrived at St Omer about 4 o/c and to Bailleul at 6.30. Some of the troops detrained there and we went on past Steenwerck which is as far as the train could go. Got out there and tried to get inn again and the train started back and took us --- station back to Strazeele. Got out there, picked up guns and marched about 6 miles to 3rd Brigade HQ and they put us up in a shed for the night. Can hear the rumble of the guns pretty distinctly now what ho.

Friday July 7th

Rose 7 o/c. Went in to the village which is a fair sized one and managed to get a loaf of bread and a Dixie of hot coffee and a wash. It started to drizzle with rain about 7.30 but did not last long. Our guide arrived at 9.30 and having put our packs on a transport we started off for our destination. Of course it must rain and rain hard too, but we marched and marched and the guide lost himself and every now and again we had to retrace our steps having taken the wrong turning but finally we arrived at Bulford Camp about 6 miles in rear of the line about 5o/c. Saw all the old boys that are still going and got back into D company. This camp is just outside the village of Neuve Eglise. Had a long yarn with Viv Brown and Ted Schaumbe at night. Turned in about 10 o/c.

Saturday July 8th

Reveille 6.30 breakfast 7 o/c. Parade 9.30. Bayonet fighting drill games and general smartening and livening up. As I expected the fighting condition here are mostly different from the Peninsula. There are rumours of a move to another part of the front shortly, and we are I understand a mobile brigade and will have a lot of marching to do.

Sunday July 9th

Parade 9.30 2’s and 3’s fly the garter etc. This is modern drilling. I had a yarn to Charlie Fox (Lieut) this morning and he told me we are to move off tonight. Church parade 2 0/c Chaplain Miles conducted the service and made a very good address. We were unable to finish the last hymn owing to their being 2 or 3 German planes overhead and our anti aircraft guns firing at them. We dispersed quickly . Major Coulter told us we were to pack up in the afternoon and we moved out of camp at 7 o/c and marched with only one spell to the town of Bailleul, 5 miles away with our back breaking packs. 8th battalion billeted in Police barracks and a warehouse opposite. Not bad quarters. Turned in 10 o/c.

Monday July 10th

Parade 9.30. marched about a mile and rested there for some time. This is a very decent town and quite a good size. Apparently this is a centre, railhead etc. Back in beats about noon. The country around here seems most productive and the crops are looking splendid. Hop growing seems to be the most extensive industry. Warned to be ready to move at 1.30. We eventually moved to the siding and after some considerable time the whole battalion and all its transport was aboard and we started off about 7 o/c via Hazebroucke and St Pol for Doullens where we arrived at 2 am.

Tuesday July 11th

We detrained and 3 platoons of D company were told off as a detraining party. We went straight to a billet in the nature of a hay loft, about 1000 yards from the station and turned in. Half the party started work almost at once, and the other half to which I belonged relieved them after having had breakfast and got ready to unload the next train. This place is well back from the line, about 20 miles I understand, evidently we have come down to take part in the Somme offensive. The entire division is coming here and I believe the 2nd division also. The brigade has gone on towards the line and we shall follow on after them as soon as we have finished this job. During the day we have unloaded 4 train loads of transport and horses guns etc. Finished the last load about 7.15 and then explored the town which is quite a de3cent place and decidedly modern.

Thats all for now folks so let's here your thoughts please

Regards Julian

'What ho,' he says when he hears the guns. Talk about sangfroid!

How far away were they when he heard them? And who is peter whose death hit him so hard?

Marina

'What ho,' he says when he hears the guns.  Talk about sangfroid!

How far away were they when he heard them?  And who is peter whose death hit him so hard?

Marina

I have no idea how far away he was when he could hear the guns or who peter was but I will ask my parents to see if they know.

Julian

Hi Marina

I think all the troops were largely kept in the dark with regard to information, mainly for security reasons. They were only told what they needed to know which wasn't much. With such primitive communications available to them most of their news would be quite old by the time they got it I guess. I am sure Frev or Petrick could give us some more background info, they seem to be the ones with the knowledge. Will post some more tomorrow.

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules,

I notice Patrick left this one alone! Fooled ya - I'm not the one with the knowledge - I'm the one with the books.

Anyway, from some reports I've been reading lately, I don't even think the one's doing the organising knew what was going on half the time!

Well, now that John is healthy again - he's certainly being thrown in at the deep-end - heading straight for the hell of Pozieres. If I didn't know he was going to come out the other end - I'm not sure I'd want to read on.

Anyway - hope everyone has a Happy Easter - and no-one O.D.'s on chocolate.

Cheers, Frev

Hi All. Tonights instalment for your education.

35th Instalment

Wednesday July 12th

We have unloaded 3 trains loads of artillery today. We left the billets to settle? the last (in full marching order) about 6 o’clock. When we had it finished, buses turned up to take us back to our battalion. We left Donclen? about 7.15 and went through some beautiful country stopping here and there to enquire where the battalion was. We must have travelled 25 or 30 miles and after all sorts of enquiries discovered the battalion in a village called Tolinas?. Everybody was in bed and nobody was very pleased with the job of getting us fixed up. We passed through a big place coming here called Vignacourt which appears to be a place for supplies.

Friday July 14th

Reveille 7 o/c. Ready to move at 8.30 but it started to rain heavily and the move had to be postponed. Nothing doing in the morning. Parade 2.30 We got moved around our company commander, he told us that we had come here to do a job and would not have long to wait. We are evidently to make an attack on a position, or attempt to help not far from here. We were given all sorts of advice and then did some skirmishing and practised hop-outs, after which we formed up as a battalion and Major Coulter told us practically the same. He also, however, read out to us a report from the brigadier to the effect that everyone was very pleased with the way in which the detraining party had done its job. We are to be ready to move at any moment. He then gave us a little news about the push. I think we shall operate in the direction of Longueval.

Thursday July 13th

Reveille 7 o/c. We rested in the morning and I had a stroll around the village, which is a very small place.. The battalion moved off at 3.15 and marched with 25 pills? to Raineville about 9k away. Very poor billets, farms stables etc. The entire Brigade including HQ is in the town, which is a fair sized one and fairly close to Amiens and the Somme.

Saturday July 15th

Parade 9 o/c. Route march about 8 miles, in billets at noon. Parade 2 o/c. Foot inspection. 2.15 gas helmet inspection and rested for the remainder of the day. Pay day. Strolled through the village and met 2 of the red heads. Rumours that the place we were to take has now been taken by some Scotties. We shall be here for a while yet if any.

Sunday July 16th

Contrary to all expectations the brigade moved out at 10 o/c this morning. We marched through numerous small villages till 1.30 and then stopped for dinner. Each company these days has its travelling kitchen and so we got a good hot drink of tea. Moved off again at 2.15 and marched through more villages including Toutencourt. Arrived at Va----ies about 8 miles in rear of the line about 5.30. Camped in Hessian covered huts. It has been a pretty solid march of about 12 miles which is not bad going with a full pack. A batch of reinforcements arrived from Etaples this evening. A very poky little town. We are surely going with a stint now.

Monday July 17th

Reveille 7 0/c and breakfast 8 o/c. Parade 9.30. Route march of about 5 miles. A very close day. In camp about 11.30. Parade 2 o/c. Marched a mile and then bayonet fighting and gas helmet inspection. In camp 4 o/c. Went for a stroll to see some Hun prisoners but they would not come out of their kennels. The bombardment tonight is terrific. The amount of motor transport in use on this front and its shifting power is gigantic. Raining again tonight. Turned in 9 o/c.

Tuesday July 18th

Awoke this morning in a foot of water. To move at 8 o/c but on account of the rain these orders have evidently been cancelled. The latest orders are that we are to be ready to move at 2 hours notice. Pay day.

Wednesday July 19th

Parade 9.30. Shown how to fire equipment in special fighting order. Dismissed 11 0/c. parade 2 o/c. Short route march at end of which we were told by Captain Harvey that we are moving out tomorrow. Australians were to be used for pursuit once the Hun was on the run. Apparently we are to have a pretty lively time. Parade at 5.30 to hear result of court martial promulgated. In the evening went down and had a look at the square heads. They are nothing extraordinary so far as physique is concerned but are very well equipped. Issued with squares of striped cabis? to be sewn on right shoulder for guidance when we are advancing.

Sorry there is not as much tonight but it has been a real struggle to type as I am not very well today.

Happy Easter to you all

Regards

Julian

What a lot of marching about for john ! And what were the 'red heads' he saw? Does he mean the red hackle if there were Scots about?

They seem to have been very unlucky with the weather - a foot of water in the trenches in July at the height of summer.

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow, Julian. Take it easy there.

Marina

Getting very interesting Jules. Amazing about the Aussies to be used in the pursuit!! Obviously this didn't really happen in earnest until over two years later. I also didn't know the term squareheads was used this early on. I am still waiting with baited breath to hear knews of how his commissiong occurred.

Rgds

Tim

What an awesome job you are doing! This is adding character and emotion to the history you read. It is reading like a novel and the expectation is creeping up.

Thankyou for your dedication to this project. Get well and Happy Easter.

Ozzie