Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

At the risk of sounding a pedant, Marina, would he have been at the battle of the Somme if he was a short distance from Ypres, and Poperinge?

You're right and not a pedant at all - he WAS at the Somme - I forgot he'd moved on! :blink:

Marina

What is kettledrum fire, is it anything like the creeping barrage?

Ozzie

I am not sure this question was answered. 'Kettledrum fire' refers to the continuous roar of massed artillery. The Germans called it 'Trommelfeuer', where Trommel is the word for drum. The noise could accompany a creeping barrage of heavy intensity but it mostly refers to the awful sound and constant concussions of a preparatory barrage.

Machine gun from unexpected quarters? Did they not have scouts to find out these things? Or did the Germans move the guns at times to cause confusion?

Generally speaking, the heavy machine guns were not moved around a lot once they were set up. Ideally, they would be set up in such a way that they fired on fixed lines across the line of advance. This usually required hardened shelters for the machine guns. Late in the battles of the Somme and Passchendaele for example, where pillboxes were not available or were more limited in number, heavy machine guns would be carried into shell holes. As the 'light' machine guns became more widely available, a greater degree of mobility was possible. German machine gunners were very highly trained, especially the MG Marksmen units that would often linger towards the rear. Once set up, the guns were often difficult to detect. Riflemen would be assigned to carry ammunition but then they would take responsibility for protecting the gunners and loaders.

Scouts were very highly trained, often acting as snipers as well. They were used in some advances and I have read of them taking on machine guns with sniper rifles, shooting at the water jacket of the gun. One of the problems was that pre-prepared MG nests would not necessarily be visible from the front. They tended to fire out to the side, covering the front of other machine guns, who in turn would provide protection for them. The Germans had a term for this - 'die Leere des Gefechtfeldes' ie the empty or blank battlefield.

Robert

Sun Sept 24th

Dikkebus - this is actually spelt Dickebusch (according to my map)

Hi Frev

I think your map is the correct spelling as that is the way John had spelt it, I changed it as I checked Autoroute which gave me the name Dikkebus. I guess I took that to be what John had meant. I tend to think twice before putting place names down and check them in Autoroute to try to get an idea of what the place is. Anyway back to the diary.

Regards

Julian

Hi to all my avid readers

49th Instalment

Monday September 25th

At 3.30 I was awakened and at 4.30 we set off in pitch dark and marched to Klammerlinge 3 miles from here. Waited at the Church for a motor bus, which eventually turned up and hour late during which time we managed to get some breakfast from some Belgian people. Officers from all battalions of the division went and there were three buses. We drove 14 miles through very interesting country to a place called Serdighein where we arrived about 8.45. We went via Popperinghe Abiele and Steenvoorbe. All decent sized places and full of Australians. There is a very decent sized officers mess at the school which is run by 2nd Army. We threw live bombs and rifle grenades and received special instruction in all the German bombs but it was obviously ridiculous to try and cram all this into a day. The officers in charge, owing to a f----e? incendiary bomb going off unexpectedly, got holes burned in every particle of his Bond St? uniform, but escaped unhurt. We had tea and got a bus back. Stopped an hour or so at Popp and arrived back at H2 at 8 o/c. It is Hickson’s birthday today and the party was in full swing when I got back. It went on till about 2 o/c in the morning. There were about a dozen officers here from the battalion.

Tuesday September 26th

Breakfast in bed . Up at 10 o/c. We are to be relieved tonight about 9 o/c. Got clear about 9.30 and marched to Scottish lines which is a hutment camp and not a bad one at that. The officers quarters are good. Turned in 1 o/c.

Wednesday September 27th

Breakfast 8.30. A very good battalion mess here when it gets going. President, Secretary and Treasurer elected and sofa call made? Battalion parade at 9.45 and inspection by the CO, then requisition made for shortages. Rained in the afternoon and so, general clean up. Informed by CO at lunch that dinner at 6.30. Formal. Managed to get through dinner without putting my foot in it. Played cards with the padre and 2 of his all the evening.

Thursday September 28th

Reveille 6.45. Parade for NCO’s and 2nd Lieutenant’s at 7 o/c. Communication drill etc till 7.45. Breakfast 8 o/c. parade for C company 8.30 and marched to Reninghelst and had an excellent bath in the officers quarters there. Whilst my R went along to see Fred I a a se? whom I found at home and very well. Had a great yarn over old times. Held R –m about 12 o’clock. I am to go to gas school tomorrow. Went down to the horse lines in the afternoon, then dinner and a game of bridge.

Friday September 29th

Wet this morning. Early morning parade cancelled and we were not sorry. Left here 9.30 for Divisional Gas School. Lecture on Box respirator whichis being issued to all ranks and is very effective. We eventually all went through lacrymatory gas fumes. Much better than the old P H helmet and alas than the German one over which it is an improvement. In camp 1 o/c. Went for a g-n-? to the Horse lines again and then to –udendoin? At 6.30 a dinner was given in honour of the newly returned officers, Lt’s Catron, O’Yates and Miles and also in honour of the newly appointed officers. A long toast list and I had to respond to the second toast. Things were going very strong when I departed at midnight.

Well Frev there are a few names for you there to get your teeth into. Lets be hearing from you all then

Regards

Julian

Tuesday September 26th

Breakfast in bed . Up at 10 o/c. We are to be relieved tonight about 9 o/c. Got clear about 9.30 and marched to Scottish lines which is a hutment camp and not a bad one at that. The officers quarters are good.

Bit more comfy, isn't he?

Wednesday September 27th

Informed by CO at lunch that dinner at 6.30. Formal. Managed to get through dinner without putting my foot in it.

Do you think he's nervous about dining with the officers on a social basis? Or on a professional basis?

Friday September 29th

Lecture on Box respirator whichis being issued to all ranks and is very effective. We eventually all went through lacrymatory gas fumes. Much better than the old P H helmet and alas than the German one over which it is an improvement.

That's a relief after the experience he had the other day.

Good installment , Jules!

Wednesday September 27th

Informed by CO at lunch that dinner at 6.30. Formal. Managed to get through dinner without putting my foot in it.

Do you think he's nervous about dining with the officers on a social basis? Or on a professional basis?

I'd say it was probably a bit of both Marina. Just imagine how surreal it must have felt.

One minute sitting in the mud with the boys, trying to swallow yet another meal of bully beef & biscuits, while some joker spins a good one, resulting in a spray of crumbs all over yourself so's not to choke on the laughter.

Next minute at the 'big table' with the 'big boys' - white table cloths, waiters, discussions about battle plans - whilst dining on caviar & pheasant, and sipping champagne - well okay, slight exaggeration!!!!!!!!!

Back to playing Schoolmarm:

Mon Sept 25th

Klammerlinge - Vlamertinghe

Serdighein - Terdeghem

Popperinghe - Poperinghe

Abiele - Abeele

Steenvoorbe - Steenvoorde

.... owing to a f----e? incendiary bomb going off .... - could it be faulty?

It is Hickson's birthday today - Lt Frank HICKSON, born in Northwich, England (before moving to Aus) was celebrating his 25th Birthday (in style by the sounds of it). He like 'Sammy' Temple, had sailed with John as a Pte in the original H Coy, before also receiving his commission in the field. After receiving the Military Cross in 1917, he eventually returned to Aus in 1919. He probably wasn't a well man though, because he died in April 1920, and is buried at the Brighton Cemetery, Vic. (with other greats - including W.D. Joynt & John Monash)

Fri Sept 29th

Lt's Catron, O'Yates and Miles - can't help with these Jules - there were 2 Catron's that were Officers, and various Miles. However, there weren't any O'Yates in the 8th Battalion - but there were various Yates.

Cheers for now, Frev.

Well done, Frev, with the research.

I su[pose it must have been a shcok to shift rank like that - but he wasn't the only one so I suppose he wou;pdn;t feel TOO odd after a while!

Wonder what Lt. Hickson doed of? How sad to come through it all and then die.

Marina

Hi Marina

I just love all of your spelling mistakes, they make your comments much more challenging to read. :D

Regards

Julian

50th Instalment

Saturday September 30th

No early morning parade this morning. Several officers of whom I was one, went with Major Whitehead to the 6th battalion Officers Mess where a Captain of the Anti Aircraft section gave a lecture on “firing at aircraft” which was very interesting. Back about 11 o/c. A raiding party of the 8th battalion will make a raid tonight near the Bluff? Good luck to them. Lieutenants Evans, Goodwin Joynt and Maginnis are leading it. There was a decidedly heavy bombardment about 10 o/c when the raid was to be made.

Sunday October 1st

Reveille 6.45. Parade 8.30 for the Brigade. General Birdwood, General Walker, the brigadier etc arrived about 9.15 when the Church service started. Chaplain carter preached a good sermon . After the service General Birdwood presented the honours to the brigade, which were numerous. Our battalion secured MC’s various DCM’s and MM’s. Tas Mummery unexpectedly got the MC which he richly deserved. After this there was a march past in column of platoons; the General having delivered a good address to all ranks. When we were dismissed all the officers were introduced and some congratulated , he reckoned I had a splendid. In the afternoon Fred Hadase? and Ted Schunke? came round and they took me to where Harry Thompson was waiting. I went to see Alan Carter of the 5th. I am orderly officer from retreat tonight for 24 hours.

Monday October 2nd

Had to be pretty particular about the cleanliness of the camp today owing to the possibility of a visit from the Brigadier. It rained pretty heavily in the afternoon and continued all night which necessitated fixing sentry boxes etc. The raiders returned tonight. One of them, the only casualty) died this morning. They got a good reception the raid being an entire success.

Tuesday October 3rd

No early morning parade. Parade this morning but mostly for B coy on fatigue duty. Sports on Wednesday so trained section for heat turned out ai—ed party. Went along? With Joe Catron and Shanewarn to 2 VN and fixed up about gem. Pte Smith one of the raiders , who died of wounds, the only casualty except Lieutenant Joynt, slightly wounded, is to be buried with full military honours this afternoon. Smartening up drill in the afternoon. Formal mess and toast list at dinner tonight. Lt Col Jesse of the 7th battalion was present. +there was a long toast list and the party did not break up till 4 in the morning but I got out of it about midnight.

Wednesday October 4th

No early morning parade but I was awakened by the Adjutant about 3 am and told that I would attend a lecture. Tactical Aeroplane work at 8.15 at brigade HQ at 8.30. 16 officers from the brigade. An RFC tender drove at a furious rate to an aerodrome the other side of Abeele where we were given a very interesting lecture by an RFC Captain. We were shown the machines and the various signalling conb–-ouces? etc. We would each have been taken up to witness signals on the ground, but it was too wet. It has been raining on and off since last night. Back in camp about 12 o/c. Several of the officers stopped in Popp which we passed through. The battalion sports which were to have come off today are of course cancelled. The officers call sounded about 2.30 and there was a lecture by the CO on general administration. Played cards in the evening.

Thursday October 5th

It rained a good deal during the night. Parade 9 o/c Shortages taken and then smartening up and gas helmet drill. Dismissed 11 o/c. Parade 2-4 After dinner we went to a concert which following dinner at the YMCA Amena hall given in honour of the raiding party to the men by the officers. Good oh. 3rd battalion band played.

Friday October 6th

Usual parades. Spent most of the afternoon in paying the men. At 5 o/c Col Foote AA and LMG 1st Australian division gave a lecture on administration and Interior Economy, at which all the officers of the Brigade were present. Wrote letters in the evening. The weather continues pretty rotten. There was football match this afternoon between the officers and the sergeants, and the latter gave us a pretty bad beating.

That is all for today folks, now make it worthwhile for me by telling me your thoughts about John and his diary

Regards

Julian

Hi Marina

I just love all of your spelling mistakes, they make your comments much more challenging to read. :D

Regards

Julian

:lol: So long as I bring some colour and interest to your day, Julian, my life is not wasted!

Marina

Come on, Frev - what did Tas Mummery get the MC for?

He has to sit through a lot of lectures, doesn't he? That is an aspect of life in the trenches that I have never heard of before, although if you think about it, it is essential. Bit alarming that the officers are having to learn on the job, so to speak.

Marina

..... did some splendid work especially Captain Lodge, Lt Munning? and Lt Bordwin?

Capt Augustine Bernard LODGE was previously awarded a DSO - but didn't seem to get recommended this time.  However Lt Clarence Tasman MUMMERY & 2/Lt Francis William GOODWIN both received Military Crosses for their work on the 18th.

Marina, see above for answer about Tas Mummery's MC. And I'm with Jules - love deciphering your posts - glad you've forgotten about that edit button - that I remember you were once so pleased you'd discovered!! :P

Sat Sept 30th

... 8th battalion will make a raid tonight near the Bluff?

[from Cobbers in Khaki]: ".... and on the last night of the month, the raiding party, with faces blackened and wearing balaclavas, crawled across No Man's Land at 10pm and after covering the 50 yards at the agonisingly slow rate of only two yards a minute, attacked a sector of the enemy trenches north east of the Bluff, held by the 73rd Landwehr Regiment. The raiders scrambled across the extensive wire entanglements using ladders and mats, and totally surprised the enemy. The raid resulted in several Germans being killed or wounded in their dugouts."

Sun Oct 1st

Fred Hadase? and Ted Schunke? - can't help with Fred - but Ted Schunke was previously mentioned on the 29th July.

Tue Oct 3rd

Pte Smith one of the raiders, who died of wounds ...... - Pte Robert F. Smith is buried in the Military Cemetery, Lijssenthoek.

Lt Col Jesse of the 7th battalion was present. - Lt Gen Sir Carl H. JESS was not only a great man, but a brilliant artist. His grandson David recently organised an exhibition of his work at the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance - it was a wonderful experience to see his original work in full size, especially his paintings of Gallipoli.

Fri Oct 6th

There was a football match this afternoon between the officers and the sergeants, and the the latter gave us a pretty bad beating.

They won by 3 goals - and a case of beer was their reward!

Heading back to the front in a few days.

Cheers, Frev

Marina, see above for answer about Tas Mummery's MC. And I'm with Jules - love deciphering your posts - glad you've forgotten about that edit button - that I remember you were once so pleased you'd discovered!! :P

nottub tide eht gnittegrof peek. Dnim reven - fi ti speek uoy dna seluj ypppah, mi yppay! :P

Marina

nottub tide eht gnittegrof peek.  Dnim reven - fi ti speek uoy dna seluj ypppah, mi yppay! :P

Marina

Shame on you Marina for speaking of such things in public! [you see - I can speak Elven too]

I think we need another instalment - we're obviously getting bored.

Andrew - if you have Jess' biography - the painting on the backcover doesn't do the original justice.

Cheers, Frev

Coooee! Are you out there Jules? Are you okay? Marina & I are a little worried about you (aren't we Marina?). Hope you're okay.

Anyway, if you are still with us - I thought you might like to check out the following:

Thur Sept 28th

Whilst in R [Reninghelst] went along to see Fred I a a se? whom I found at home and very well. Had a great yarn over old times.

Sun Oct 1st

In the afternoon Fred Hadase? and Ted Schunke came round .......

I was wondering whether on closer inspection the I a a se & Hadase might be Haase - because there was a Frederick John HAASE in the 4th Field Ambulance, who was a 22 year old Farmer from Gymbowen (which is just down the road from Natimuk). He landed in France in 1916 - but I don't know where the 4th F Amb were in Sept/Oct.

Just for you Marina - a letter from your mate Viv Brown, written to his sister, from England after his evacuation from Gallipoli:

West Wimmera Mail - July 23, 1915

Letter from the Front

Lance Corporal Viv. Brown has written to his sister at Natimuk, Mrs G. Ekman, as follows:

"Just a line to let you know I am getting on alright. I got hit by a piece of shrapnel just below the kidneys. It is not too bad. But do not think I was running away because I got hit in the back. I was having breakfast on 18/5/15 sitting on the side of my dugout when they stopped me. A dugout is our bedroom, dinning room, etc. It consists of a hole about 4ft by 5ft. Generally two live in one together. You can dig as deep as you like, but we never go very deep, just enough to duck into when the shells begin to burst. But we all get pretty careless, and that's how I got hit. If I had been inside, my bedmate might have been killed, so it was a good job I stopped it, better a wounded man than a dead one. The wound is healing fast. The only thing I don't like is the gas. I suppose you heard Hec. Hallam is dead. L. Boneham, ex billiard marker at Newton's, got wounded same day as I did, but not too bad. He got it through the leg, but he had better luck than I did, as it went right through. Schunke is stationed here, he is looking well. Lucky beggar to have missed all we went through. Still, don't know about that, there is a chance of him being sent over to the firing line. There is some talk of sending the garrison troops over, and giving the others a spell. There are hundreds of men stationed here who have not seen any fighting yet. We get treated fairly well considering the crowd there is to attend to. I know my way about the hospital now, and I sneak out of bed when I want anything, so you will know I am not too bad when I can hop out of bed. It makes one wild and anxious to do for all the Turks one can lay hands on when he sees his pals going down alongside of him. By Jove, it's alright to be in a nice soft bed for a change and get waited on. The nurses here are mostly English and Canadian girls. The Canadian's seem the best, being more like our own girls. I think most of our nurses are in Egypt."

Cheers, Frev.

Thanks, Frev - you are a treasure!

What strikes me about Viv's letter and John's diary is how buoyant and resilient both men are. I read about the things which happened and I'm sure had I been there I'd have been half off my head with fear and despair. But they carry on with their church parades and hopping out of bed and no doubt giving the nurses trouble... I take my hat off to them.

Where can Jules be?

Marina

Hello people I am working away at present and will be home this evening.

Regards

Julian

If your not too tired, I will look forward to reading the posts in the morning. It's now nearly my bedtime. Work tomorrow. I wonder what they thought back then of not having a structured week? It was day to day for them.

Hello people I am working away at present and will be home this evening.

Regards

Julian

Cheers, Julian - relieved to hear you're OK! :D

Marina

Hi Marina

Thanks for your concerns but I am fine thanks, though very tired so I will not have time to type any diary this evening. Back tomorrow ok?

Regards

Julian

Shame on you Marina for speaking of such things in public!  [you see - I can speak Elven too]

I think we need another instalment - we're obviously getting bored.

Cheers, Frev

Come on now Frev don't keep me in suspense, what on earth is Elven and I want a translation !!

Jules

Hi Marina

Thanks for your concerns but I am fine thanks, though very tired so I will not have time to type any diary this evening. Back tomorrow ok?

Yes, a good night's sleep will set you up!

As for speaking Elven - that's a secret between Frev and me. Maybe we'll explain - and then maybe we won't...

Night night!

Marina