Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

How do you get the blue box with the quote marks in the corner?  Now that I've mastered the edit button, I feel I'm ready for something more advanced...

Marina

Click the reply button and then edit the text, make sure you preview the post before adding it in case you have made a mistake, hope this helps.

Julian

Hey Jules & Marina - you are my inspiration!! :wub:

Marina - I haven't seen your attempt to conjure up that 'blue box with the quote marks in the corner' yet.

On to those place names:

Becordel? Meaultes? - Becordel & Meaulte - remove the 's' & you have a winner.

T-ll- sur Forbe - bear with me while I ramble here - and any help from all those silent readers would be appreciated. I've always understood 'sur' to sort of mean 'on the river' - ie. Bray sur-Somme (Bray on the river Somme). I can't find any reference to a river 'Forbe' - and the route they were on followed the river Ancre. 'Forbe' - 'Ancre' - hmm, I don't know. There is a 'Buire sur-Ancre' between Meaulte & Mericourt / Ribemont - but it's really not looking like 'T-ll- sur Forbe'

However, there's also a place called 'Ville sous-Corbie' - and it has a much better feel about it - so I'm plugging for this - but the ball's in your court.

Are you still awake there Jules? Sorry to put you through that - don't worry - some day I'm going to get a life!!

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev

Thanks for oyur endeavours again, I will check up on those names when I get home alter and let you know waht I reckon it is. Most tales to follow later, what am I going to do when the diary finishes I ask myself Frev? Get my life back I hear you respond :P:P

Regards

Julian

Click the reply button and then edit the text, make sure you preview the post before adding it in case you have made a mistake, hope this helps.

Julian

Have clicked. Have checked. Am sure this can't be all...

Marina

Hi Frev

Thanks for oyur endeavours again, I will check up on those names when I get home alter and let you know waht I reckon it is. Most tales to follow later, what am I going to do when the diary finishes I ask myself Frev? Get my life back I hear you respond :P:P

Regards

Julian

/quote]

When you've finished the diary, you go to your parents' house and search it brick by brick for the rest of it.

BTW, Jules, don't mean to be picky, but there is an edit button, you know! :P I found it the other week!

Marina

In response to the replies from my comments about my anger toward those who never suffered in the way the 'men' did; whilst I appreciate these rear echelon officers worked long hours and couldn't fraternize, what input did the more senior officers have in trying to end the war?

'Wastage' and 'attrition' are words attributed to senior staff I believe when forecasting the future of the war.

What drove Siegfried Sassoon to denounce the war, following his heroism and clear love for the men he led?

When could the war have ended? How many lives were needlessly lost, and was it worth it?

Read Joseph Persico's account of the final day, '11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour' if you have not already to try and see where I'm coming from.

Its sounds slightly silly, but I cannot but help refer to the character Stephen Fry played in Blackadder (Melcherd?) when I think of the lunacy of the latter part of this war.

I know what you are trying to say, but looking to TV sitcoms for historical interpretation is not good practice.

It was General Melchett, by the way.

Yes, its not my template for my opinion, I try to look a bit harder for that! Still, the final scene in the final episode is pretty emotive stuff and the point made there is rather succinct. OK, Darling?

HI All

Sorry there has been no diary these past couple of days as I have been very busy at work and too tired when I get home. Guests over this weekend so will most likely not be able to do any until Monday or Tuesday, so see you all then.

Regards

Julian

HI All

Sorry there has been no diary these past couple of days as I have been very busy at work and too tired when I get home. Guests over this weekend so will most likely not be able to do any until Monday or Tuesday, so see you all then.

Regards

Julian

Enjoy the rest, Jules. We'll all be lurking next week.

MARINA :ph34r:

T-ll- sur Forbe - bear with me while I ramble here - and any help from all those silent readers would be appreciated.  I've always understood 'sur' to sort of mean 'on the river' - ie. Bray sur-Somme (Bray on the river Somme).  I can't find any reference to a river 'Forbe' - and the route they were on followed the river Ancre.  'Forbe' - 'Ancre' - hmm, I don't know. There is a  'Buire sur-Ancre' between Meaulte & Mericourt / Ribemont - but it's really not looking like 'T-ll- sur Forbe'

However, there's also a place called 'Ville sous-Corbie' - and it has a much better feel about it - so I'm plugging for this - but the ball's in your court. 

Are you still awake there Jules?  Sorry to put you through that - don't worry - some day I'm going to get a life!!

Hi ya Jules

I'm not being obsessive about above - honest!! I just came across this out of the blue - another map extract - that shows 'Ville-sur-Ancre' - and it looks to be the same place as 'Ville sous-Corbie' on my other map. So, that's 3 for you to choose from. [or perhaps still 2 - I think I'd discard 'Buire sur-Ancre']

Have a great break with your guests on the weekend.

Cheers, Frev

PS - Marina - Congrats on mastering 'the blue box with the quotes in the corner' (at 2.59pm) - but what happened in the following post (at 3.06pm) - was the excitement too much?? I see you worked it out again though.

It's part of the attraction to the forum, learning new tricks. It makes you feel ever so clever! :D

I get so carried away with the topics I forget to explore the wonderful help bits that Chris has provided. Now, if I could just find "spell check"! :P

Kim

PS - Marina - Congrats on mastering 'the blue box with the quotes in the corner' (at 2.59pm) - but what happened in the following post (at 3.06pm) - was the excitement too much?? I see you worked it out again though.

Thank you, m'dearFrev and Ozzie! It takes a while for things to filter through, but there is not doubt the sense of triumph is marvellous!

Robert, yu're so rite! :lol:

Marina

Evening All

Here is your next instalment.

59th Instalment

Wednesday November 15th

Some Hun planes were about last night and dropped several bombs around the town. Parade 9 o/c for the inspection of G6 ? brigade. Waited for him until 12 o/c but did not turn up. General Birdwood rode through the town in the afternoon and spoke to some of the boys. They think a lot of him. Smartening up drill in the afternoon.

Thursday November 16th

Marching to bath at Herely? At 9 o/c. Very good baths. I took a party there again in the afternoon.

Friday November 17th

Parade 9 o/c and smartening up drill etc till 12 o/c Parade 2 o/c. Short route march in fighting order till 2.30. Wrote letters in the evening. To Mons? tomorrow. Advance party and transport left today.

Saturday November 18th

Parade 8.45 and waited about in the snow which fell during the night and which has now turned into dirt and then into rain which continued till 1230. At last our turn came to get aboard the cars. During the time we were waiting a cup of hot cocoa was given to each man by the formforts? F----. Bad management that we should have to wait all this time in the wet. Travelled via Amiens to St Vast? Where we arrived at 5 o/c. Finally settling down in a pretty poor billet. This morning while we were waiting to move from our billets a bomb exploded with fire in D companies lines wounding 7 men, 1 seriously.

Sunday November 19th

Up at 8.45. Church parade 10.30. 7th and 8th battalions service conducted by Chaplain Carter. Very wet under foot just now.

Monday November 20th

Parade 9 o/c. Usual training. Dismissed at 12 o/c. Route march in the afternoon. Syllabus is pretty stiff for visitors from other coys at dinner tonight. A very pleasant evening.

Tuesday November 21st

Parade 9-12. Brigade smallpox respirator inspection and issue of clothes in afternoon. Cards in the evening.

Wednesday November 22nd

Miles got his second star this morning and has gone to a company commanders school for a month. We will be short handed now. Brigade drill this morning. Football match in the afternoon between the left half and right half battalions. The left one the score 41 points to 30. Cards at night.

Thursday November 23rd

BCC. Captain Kirby acting as second in command. We played the 7th battalion football and beat them easily. 7.30 lecture by Lt Freeman on supplies in the field. I am to go to an Inspection Training School for a month and will probably miss the next stint.

I look forward to hearing from you all

Regards

Julian

Is 'Mons?' Amiens?  (it won't be Mons in Belgium)

Robert

Just checked Robert and it should have said "move", sorry about that :)

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules

A few more from the last instalment:

Nov 16th

Herely? - Heilly

Everybody seems to mention the baths at Heilly - they probably thought they'd finally died - and gone to heaven!!

Nov 18th

formforts? F---- - Comforts Fund

St Vast? - I've seen it spelt this way, and also 'St Vaast' [my detailed map is cut off at Amiens - and it's about 8km the other side - maybe someone else can help??]

Finally settling down in a pretty poor billet. - Apparently the 29th Bn left this billet in a pretty filthy state! Must have been a real downer for them when they were all feeling so clean.

Cheers, Frev

Hi Jules

Howd ya be?

Just bringing this back to the top - so it doesn't get lost.

I'm not hassling you - true dinks! You just take your time - there are other things in life after all!!! ;)

Cheers, Frev