Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Looks as if there was a wee mistake when someone dated the photo. 1914 instead of 1913? His uniform looks split new. Could it be his enlistment photo?

Marina

Jules

The 1913 date seems wrong. The colour patch seems to be 8th battalion, and this was not raised until 1914.

Tony

I agree. It is also difficult to understand how whoever wrote 1913 on this photo could make such a mistake re the date.

Robbie

Hi All

I agree that the date must be wrong but I have no real idea who it was who must have got such an important date wrong. I did initially think John might be a territorial but thanks to pals I now know that not to be the case. Here is another to take a look at people.

Regards

julian

post-3340-1116087909.jpg

I would imagine you have all seen this photo before but in case you have not here it is. I would love to hear your comments.

Regards

Julian

post-3340-1116089017.jpg

The second photo makes me shudder - from John's and Fred's diaries, we know what comes next. I can practically feel the heat off that beach!

And the men probably landed full of spirit and high hopes...

John does look smart in that full length picture, bless him.

Another installment tonight, Jules?

Marina

Sorry Marina but I have been out tonight but I promise I will do another instalment tomorrow.

Julian

Hi Jules,

to answer some of your questions, The hat is worn before, looks like the "stiffcap"with the iron rim cirkel to keep it in model removed. The chinstrap looks more like a small belt then the normal chinstrap, look at other pictures of officers and you'll see what i mean.

The sam Browne officer belt is still on offer on ebay mostly for 35 pounds, but having one off your famely makes them priceless i recon.

Coo-ee is the bushcall to call your mates. Mostly this call was also asociated with the light horse. In the recruitment poster for Galipolli you find it also. And in songs like this one

ITS THE “COO-EE’ CALL

(Where the Murray River Flows)

By Al. Hay

1920 ~ 1929

Where the Mur ~ ray River flows

Where the wild clem-at-is grows

And the birds are singing ~ all ~ the ~day

There’s a sweet voice calls it ~seems

Al-ways cal-ling-in my dreams

It’s my sweet-heart’s voice and al~ways seems to say

Where the wav~ving ferns are grow~ing

Where there’s fragrant breezes blow~ing

There the wis-pring stream says “Coo-ee” dear

Yes says “Coo-ee” dear for you

And in the morn~ing

When the wak-ing day is dawn~ing

I can hear the song-birds call~ing

It’s calling “Cooee” “Cooee” “Cooee” “Cooee”

Sun~shine brings me sweet dreams in the day-time

When the ev-en-tide is drawing ~ nigh

My dreams are gol~den heed

Down where the Mur~ray River flows

There’s a wel-come sound I know

It’s the “Coo-ee” call It’s the “Coo-ee” call for me

I can hear it through the trees

Float~ing on the gentle breeze

Seem’s like fate that’s callin you and I

In the even-ing hour I hear

Voi~ces Cal~ling far and near

And they tell me that for me you al-ways sigh

Where the wav~ing ferns are grow~ing

Where there’s fragrant breezes blow~ing

There the wis-pring stream says “Coo-ee” dear

Yes says “Coo-ee” dear for you

And in the morn~ing

When the wak-ing day is dawn~ing

I can hear the song-birds call~ing

It’s calling “Cooee” “Cooee” “Cooee” “Cooee”

Sun~shine brings me sweet dreams in the day-time

When the ev-en-tide is drawing ~ nigh

My dreams are gol~den heed

Down where the Mur~ray River flows

There’s a wel-come sound I know

Its the “Coo-ee” call It’s the “Coo-ee” call for me

untill next time

coo-ee

patrick

post-813-1116157385.jpg

Hi All

A small portion of diary as promised complete with the pages it was taken from so you can all provide me with some diciphering help

61st Instalment

Monday December 4th

Parade 9 o/c Squad drill. Commenced --- drill. Parade 2o/c and march to the baths at Picquigny. Lecture 5 o/c by the CO on Courts Martial. Turned in early. Not much sleep last night.

Tuesday December 5th

Parade 1230. Musketry squad drill and PT. Parade 2 o/c till 4. Squad drill ------- drill. Lecture at 5 o/c by Lt Wright on March Discipline.

Wednesday December 6th

Parade 9-12.30. Musketry squad drill and PT. Sports in the afternoon. Went into Picquigny with Gaulton in the afternoon and explored the old castle and church, both very old and interesting. Met some 7th battalion officers and went to see the Dudo a Pierot troupe formed by an Imperial Lec---al unit? Very good indeed Lady and orchestra all complete. Dinner in the town by arrangement. Back to chateau at 9 o/c.

Thursday December 7th

Squad drill musketry and PT. Parade 1.45 to 3.45. Communication and squad drill. Lecture 6 o/c on map reading. Turned in 8.30.

Friday December 8th

Confined to billets owing to wet weather. Squad drill musketry and PT. Received word that the GOC 4thArmy (General Rawlinson) would inspect us in the afternoon and made great ceremonial preparation. He did not turn up and so according to the syllabus we did platoon and communication drill. Lecture by the CO. Electric light in the barn Blackboard etc. Getting into going order now in the school? In to Picquigny with D officers Graham and Booth of the 7th battalion.

post-3340-1116193303.jpg

Tuesday - could that be 'drill company drill' - a mistaken repetition?

Jules - I take my hat off to you - that writing in pencil across the squared paper is MURDER to read. I['ve always appreciated this yhread, but even more so now.

Good on you!

Marina

Hey Jules

Have you had your eyes checked lately? They're certainly taking some punishment!

All I can think of with Dec 5th is - Squad drill & Comms drill. ?? [abbrev. for Communications]

Dec 6th

The Pierrot troupe is 'The Duds' - and it kind off looks like - Imperial Technical unit - if there's such a thing. ?? Perhaps Kate will have more idea on this one.

[The Duds are mentioned in an old thread - "Divisional Concert Parties, photos and names" - they belonged to the 19th Kings Liverpool Regt]

You're doing a great job deciphering - I'm sure there's loads of work out there - if you want a new career - rather you than me!!

Cheers, Frev

A troupe called the The Duds were also the 17th Division's Concert Party, though names were often duplicated. I agree with Frev that Lt Pitt appears to have written 'Imperial Technical Unit', which would seem to be something smaller.

The mention of a lady orchestra is interesting, as it implies some kind of arrangement with the locals.

Just to add to the other Pals, my admiration for the work you have put in over the months, now. A labour of love it can only be. If you believe in it, I hope your hero of a grandfather is watching and pleased that his long-kept painful memories are being conveyed to those who can only read in awe. A true recording of history.

Evening All

Here is the next instalment for your education, well mine anyway !

62nd Instalment

Saturday December 9th

Platoon drill. Playfair code, Physical jerks and bayonet fighting. In the afternoon squad drill musketry and platoon drill.

Sunday December 10th

Ceremonial drill. Preparation for army commanders inspection tomorrow. Further explored Picquigny in the morning. Walked to Brielly ? in the rain in the afternoon. P------ in the evening after mess. Back 9.30. A rotten day.

Monday December 11th

Platoon drill musketry and PT and formed as a ceremonial parade at 12.15 and waited in the cold nearly an hour when his lordship turned up and spoke well of us. Marched to bath in the afternoon. Lecture at 7.30.

Tuesday December 12th

It snowed a bit during the night and things were very wet and slushy in the morning. Lecture on Coy drill and wiring with in the morning followed by PT and bayonet fighting. 5 mile route march in the afternoon. Picquigny in the evening.

Wednesday December 13th

Company drill. Musketry on the 30 yards range. 15 rounds each. PT. Sports supposed to be held in the afternoon but the weather did not permit. 3 of us took a walk to Bellor 2 miles from here. One of the biggest chateaux I have seen occupied by the Countess Rouchefoqual. Back to mess then to P------.

Thursday December 14th

Company drill. Lecture on the sighting of trenches. Bayonet fighting and PT. In the afternoon platoon drill and trench se-----. Lecture 5 o/c by an RFC officer on contact aeroplane work. Very interesting and useful. A miserable evening and so wrote letters.

Friday December 15th

PT bayonet fighting and bombing. Exam in elementary musketry during which General Birdwood arrived in his car and had a look around and a yarn with us informing us in a very commonplace manner that we had 3 months ahead of hard going owing to weather conditions in the trenches when we leave the school followed by an spring offensive one where we would take a part in conjunction with the French.

Enjoy

Night all

Best regards

Julian

post-3340-1116272354.jpg

Just to add to the other Pals, my admiration for the work you have put in over the months, now. A labour of love it can only be. If you believe in it, I hope your hero of a grandfather is watching and pleased that his long-kept painful memories are being conveyed to those who can only read in awe. A true recording of history.

Hi GY402

Yes it has indeed become a labour of love my friend and very many thanks for your kind words re my grandfather, I do hope he is watching from on high and thinking that his efforts to write down his thoughts have not been in vain and were certainly not wasted. Only trouble is there are only 6 pages of the diary left to transcribe !!

:(:(

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules. Now we can see how difficult it was for you. Have you drawn any conclusions for yourself about John's exploits? It would be great to hear YOUR point of view. Regards Steve.

d

A royal pillow fight between 11 and 12 wards. Sister and MO put to fligh

Tuesday November 30th

A grand fight last night with eggs, which lasted till midnight. Eggs all over the place. Had to stop inside all day today, owing to the miserable weather. Enough to drive a man to drink.

Saturday December 11th

The ward again went mad tonight.

Am reading 'A War In Words' just now - and George Mitchell reports similar high jinks in the hospital convalescence wards - pillow fights and slipper fights and splashing with water!

Marina

It is impressive to read about the frequency/types of training and lectures. And the notion of General Birdwood dropping in and having a 'yarn'.

Robert

Hi Jules,

to answer some of your questions, The hat is worn before, looks like the "stiffcap"with the iron rim cirkel to keep it in model removed. The chinstrap looks more like a small belt then the normal chinstrap, look at other pictures of officers and you'll see what i mean.

The sam Browne officer belt is still on offer on ebay mostly for 35 pounds, but having one off your famely makes them priceless i recon.

Hi Patrick

Can you please explain your paragraph in the quote above. What is the stiffcap and iron rim cirkel you refer to please. Also can you tell me how the Sam Browne belt got its name. Many thanks Patrick.

Cheers

Julian

Hi Patrick

Can you please explain your paragraph in the quote above. What is the stiffcap and iron rim cirkel you refer to please. Also can you tell me how the Sam Browne belt got its name. Many thanks Patrick.

Cheers

Julian

Hi Jules: Brilliant piece of work on the diaries. Thanks for sharing them - 'though they've kept me from 'honest' labour for several hours!

The Sam Browne is named after Sir Samuel James Browne, the British general who invented it. He died in 1901. Some police forces also employ it.

adrian

Hi Jules:  Brilliant piece of work on the diaries.  Thanks for sharing them - 'though they've kept me from 'honest' labour for several hours!

The Sam Browne is named after Sir Samuel James Browne, the British general who invented it.  He died in 1901.  Some police forces also employ it.

adrian

Welcome to the forum Adrian and thanks for answering one of my questions. Apart from the obvious what was the purpose of the belt. What did it do that previous belts did not is I guess what I mean really.

Cheers

Julian

Welcome to the forum Adrian and thanks for answering one of my questions. Apart from the obvious what was the purpose of the belt. What did it do that previous belts did not is I guess what I mean really.

Cheers

Julian

Hello again Julian: Don't blame me if this sends you off on another topic! - General Sir Samuel J Browne, 1824 -1901, served with the British Army in India, with the 36th Bengal Native Infantry. He must have done pretty well as he finished up with a VC. The belt he designed was a combination of garrison (or pistol) belt and shoulder strap, intended to take the weight of a heavy pistol or sword. The 'Journal of the the Late General Sir Sam Browne VC, GCB, KCSI 1849 -1898' was published posthumously , on the initiative of his daughter, by William Blackwood, Edinburgh, in 1937.

If you want me to find anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be delighted.

Cheers. adrian