Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Jules - if you haven't already picked up on it - something for you to come home to - John's Service record on line at last!!!!  All 80 pages of it (though mostly repitition).

Cheers, Frev :P

Thanks, Frev - read it tonoght in lieu of diary. (I'm starving for news!)

Had no idea he was so tall - over six foot

...and auburn hair and brown eyes!

His medal problem - what was that man Harper up to? And John's handwriting - I'd know that scrawl anywhere now!

He didn't mention losinjg some kit in the diaries!

Marina

Guest suebarco

Thanks, Frev - read it tonoght in lieu of diary. (I'm starving for news!)

Had no idea he was so tall - over six foot

...and auburn hair and brown eyes!

His medal problem - what was that man Harper up to? And John's handwriting - I'd know that scrawl anywhere now!

He didn't mention losinjg some kit in the diaries!

Marina

Seems Frev picked up on the cryptic clue.

Didn't John mention that the seventh ratted their kit?

Sue

Just picked up on this (bit slow after my holiday!!)

Jules - if you haven't already picked up on it - something for you to come home to - John's Service record on line at last!!!!  All 80 pages of it (though mostly repitition).

Cheers, Frev :P

Many thanks Frev it took me ages to read it all and I was fascinated by the letters about John's medals. At least I now know he got the 14-15 Star but I have no idea where it is!! When I have more time tomorrow I will post a bit more diary and tell you about my holiday looking at AIF burial sites and visiting Vimy Ridge and the Aussie memorial at Villers Brettonaux, until then good night all.

Regards

Julian

Many thanks Frev it took me ages to read it all and I was fascinated by the letters about John's medals. At least I now know he got the 14-15 Star but I have no idea where it is!! When I have more time tomorrow I will post a bit more diary and tell you about my holiday looking at AIF burial sites and visiting Vimy Ridge and the Aussie memorial at Villers Brettonaux, until then good night all.

Regards

Julian

Welcome home, Jules.

Marina

Hi Jules,

Back from a trip OS including Gallipoli. Great to see this thread is still continuing. Fantastic photographs.

I agree with the correspondence on the 1913 photograph. It should be 1915. The colour patches were not issued until after Divisional Order 562 of 8 March 1915.

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/uniform...hes_history.htm

Orders for the wearing of the Anzac A Badge were not issued until November 1917.

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/badge.htm

Rgds

Tim

Hi Jules

I've only just come across this absolutely fascinating story. I've been reading it for hours.

Thanks for all your hard work in the translation. I think it's wonderful that you've found such a piece of history. Something money can't buy.

Jan

Hi Jan

Welcome to this long running thread. The more that read it the happier I shall feel. Unfortunately it will come to an end shortly as I do not have the remainder of the diary to the end of the war. Keep reading more to follow.

Regards

Julian

Hi All

Evening to all my avid readers, here is the penultimate instalment as I only have Xmas day and Boxing day 1916 left. I did look in my parents loft again this weekend but so far have not found any more but still have one place to look for any I have not yet found. When I get my holiday photos back I shall post a picture of the only 8th battalion grave I found in visiting 5 different cemetaries whilst on holiday. Does anyone have any underground pictues taken at Vimy Ridge as we could not go down on the day we visited. Many thanks.

Julian

65th Instalment

Saturday December 23rd

We did grouping practices on the 30 yards range in the morning. In the afternoon we did a road ------ and at 3.30 were given our passes for Paris and straight away put all our best togs on. Had some tea and then got paid which crowned our joy. The train was due to leave Picquigny at 5.38 but we had to do a freeze on the station for two hours before it eventually turned up. We settled down in a 1st class compartment with 3 French officers who were excellent chaps and spoke English very well.

XmasEve

We steamed into the Gare Du Nord at Paris after a long journey at 3 am and as ever were just about ravenous a MS Corpl showed us a Red and –uff- underground where we got a good feed. Then we had to start looking for a hotel and it was a good while before 4 of us succeeded in getting rooms at the Grand Hotel. I got room number 949 on the fifth floor. Some Hotel. Turned in at about 4 o’clock. Hot bath and up at 9.30 to breakfast which according to the Parisian style consisted of steaming hot coffee and rusks. This is a beautiful place and there are some big bugs of here of all nationalities. We started off to have a look round after reporting to the RSM. A guide eventually collared Lenbury Dillon and myself and we allowed him to show us around. We went round slowly in a taxi,, he explaining the various places of interest as we went and stopping when necessary. It is certainly a very beautiful city and well named Gay Paris. We had lunch at the Brasserie Universille and then went out exploring again in the afternoon and back to the hotel. We saw the Notre Dame Eiffel Tower, Napoleons tomb and Place De La Concorde, which is a beautiful spot and all the other well known places. We bought tickets for the Opera tonight and after having had tea at the American tea rooms and dinner at Prunier? we made for the Opera Pomique and saw Carmen, which although all in French, we appreciated to the full there being some marvellous singing and acting.

Night all

Regards

Julian

Hi All

Evening to all my avid readers, here is the penultimate instalment as I only have Xmas day and Boxing day 1916 left. I did look in my parents loft again this weekend but so far have not found any more but still have one place to look for any I have not yet found. When I get my holiday photos back I shall post a picture of the only 8th battalion grave I found in visiting 5 different cemetaries whilst on holiday. Does anyone have any underground pictues taken at Vimy Ridge as we could not go down on the day we visited. Many thanks.

Julian

65th Instalment

Saturday December 23rd

We did grouping practices on the 30 yards range in the morning. In the afternoon we did a road ------ and at 3.30 were given our passes for Paris and straight away put all our best togs on. Had some tea and then got paid which crowned our joy. The train was due to leave Picquigny at 5.38 but we had to do a freeze on the station for two hours before it eventually turned up. We settled down in a 1st class compartment with 3 French officers who were excellent chaps and spoke English very well.

Night all

Regards

Julian

Only one more installment left :(:(

Hope it's a good one!

Marina

Howdy Jules

Looks like John has really been living it up in Gay Paree!

See here for the Prunier Restaurant: http://www.lui.ru/digest/33/21

I know it's sad his diary's coming to an end - but I'm kinda glad we'll be closing with him having a great time in Paris - rather than wallowing in mud on the Somme!!

Cheers, Frev.

Hi again Jules

Can I ask a couple of questions please:

Firstly, do you mind if I download this to read again later and

Secondly, I notice Frev said that your grandfather's service records are on line.

How can I access on-line service records please.

Apologies for interrupting your story - hope you don't mind.

regards

Jan

Howdy Jules

See here for the Prunier Restaurant:  http://www.lui.ru/digest/33/21

I know it's sad his diary's coming to an end - but I'm kinda glad we'll be closing with him having a great time in Paris - rather than wallowing in mud on the Somme!!

Cheers, Frev.

Great link, Frev - I can SEE John sitting in all that splendour!

Marina

B)

See here for the Prunier Restaurant:  http://www.lui.ru/digest/33/21

Hi Frev

I echo your sentiments about the diary coming to an end with John able to enjoy himself at last. It must have been heaven after the utter misery of the Somme battlefields, I bet they had a hell of a time. I haven't given up all hope of finding the rest of the diary, I still think John must have written it right to the end of the war, after doing it religiously for two years. What do you think Frev. Thanks for the link to the restaurant, it looks well posh !!

Regards

Julian

Hi again Jules

Firstly, do you mind if I download this to read again later and

Secondly, I notice Frev said that your grandfather's service records are on line.

How can I access on-line service records please.

Hi Jan

I have no objections to you downloading the diary as long as you have no intention to publish it anywhere else. As regards John's service records, they are available at

Service Records

When the page opens select record search and search for John Gibson Pitt. If you get any snags please let me or one of the other pals know, we will be pleased to help.

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules

Thanks for this - no I definitely don't intend to publish anywhere that's a promise - it's for me to read as a whole document.

Also, thanks for the link. I'll log on there as well.

Regards

Jan

UPDATE 02:19 11 June 05

Have read the service record. I live in hope that the UK records are as good.

Did he finally get those medals Jules?

Jan

66th and final instalment

Xmas Day 1916

Up at 9 o’clock. Breakfast. Further exploration of the city returning to the hotel for our Xmas dinner at 1 o/c., 15 Australian Officers being present. Dobbin and I then strolled some more and had dinner at the cafe –ois— and then went to the Nouveau Cirque a variety show. Just caught the 11.4 train by the skin of our teeth. Paris is absolutely full but there are very few British soldiers there at all. We had a very pleasant and educational trip.

Boxing Day 1916

Slept very little on the train and after a very tiresome journey arrived at Picquigny at 6 am. Slept for an hour had breakfast and turned out on parade at 9 o/c. The CO roaring because some of us were unshaven. PT was not too acceptable this morning. Judging distances. Live bomb throwing in the afternoon. Lecture at 5 o/c on German grenades.

Well folks it saddens me to say it but that is all for now. Until I find any more, there is no more to tell you all. I hope you will all help me keep this thread going as I still have quite a bit more to talk about concerning John so keep checking the thread for updates and questions from me. Until the next time then.

Kind regards

Julian

66th and final instalment

Xmas Day 1916

Well folks it saddens me to say it but that is all for now. Until I find any more, there is no more to tell you all. Julian

:( I suppose this day had to come. I'd like to thank you, Jules, for all the work you've put into sharing this diary with us. It's been great. Will look forward to any updates.

Marina

Hi All

In an effort to keep this thread going would any pals like to see the X Ray photos of John's gunshot wound. Bearing in mind the age I think you will find it incredible what they managed to do.

Regards

Julian

Hi Marina

Here is the first one with a thoughfully included explanation, hope you are not squeamish !!

Julian

post-3340-1118781428.jpg

XmasEve

we made for the Opera Pomique and saw Carmen, which although all in French, we appreciated to the full there being some marvellous singing and acting.

Night all

Regards

Julian

Hi Jules,

It is the Opera Comique, which staged the premiere of Bizet's opera Carmen, the story of a femme fatale and her admirers. Cartloads of great tunes, and although tragic (the reason why the audience at the Opera Comique booed at its premiere) it does make for a great night out.

Hi Marina

Here is the first one with a thoughfully included explanation, hope you are not squeamish !!

Julian

post-3340-1118781428.jpg

87th anniversary of the day he received that wound! You wouldn't think they'd be able to regraft that, would you? I suppose the war was responsible for all sorts of medical advances because of the number and avriety of wounds received.

Marina

Here's the next picture post operation.

post-3340-1118784119.jpg