Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Hi Jules. Now we can see how difficult it was for you. Have you drawn any conclusions for yourself about John's exploits? It would be great to hear YOUR point of view. Regards Steve.

Hi Steve

I suppose you could say that after transcribing my grandfathers dairy I am full of admiration for him, and I guess I understand why he never talked about his experiences. Contrary to that though, I find it very hard to understand why he never even spoke of it to his only child (my father). If it was me I would want generations to come to know how terribly his generation had suffered to furnish us with the freedoms we enjoy today. Perhaps that is why he wrote a diary, he must ahve known someone would find it one day. Please let me know what you or anyone else reading this thinks about it Steve, I wouold welcome your thoughts.

Cheers

Julian

Hi Jules. Great stuff mate. I suppose from my point of view I am envious as hell because you have a day to day transcription of John's life, even for a short part of his life. I'm stuck at first base with our search because our man died with so little record of his life.John lived through the War and survived and you knew him, now perhaps a little better, and with his pics and even his writing, you have something so tangible of him that if you hold his diaries you are holding a part of him.You probably know more about him than your Dad ever did. There has to be some kind of fate about that.I am so happy for you and the fact that you dont have everything doesn't really matter.John survived so you could probably write a fair ending yourself. I always feel maybe the next forum member may hold the key so we have to carry on. Perhaps Johns propensity for writing stuff may have meant his diaries are elsewhere in the world, perhaps sent to some long lost friend in Oz. I'm sure you've thought about it enough times. Maybe they will come to light.And youve made all these new friends.......how bad can that be!!! Regards Steve

Thamks for the above Steve i appreciate your thoughts mate I really do. Meantime here is a picture that Marina has been nagging me to post so here it is.

Regards

Julian

post-3340-1116453265.jpg

Great pic Jules. Whats happened to the guy on the left of the first camel!!!!!

Lets put it this way....the camel third left has a big grin on its face. :blink:

BTW what a fantastic photo.

Andy

Guest orivetto

A very good question Marina, I know not the answer as yet, will have to find some time to do the digging on it.

Julian

Don't waste too much time researching!

On his emarkation roll on the AWM he is recorded as having no prior military service. His attestation papers likewise?

Regards Steve.

Good question Steve I had not even noticed that bloke when I looked at it ! Did you spot which one was John then anybody reading this. ???

Regards

Julian

Regards Steve.

Didn't notice him at first!

dropped his wallet over the wall?

throwing up after last night's binge in Cairo?

hiding his face from the camera because of all the girls he left behind?

Marina

I commend your powers of observation Marina, I am surprised you could work out which was John as I could not if I had not been told.

Regards

Julian

He's unmistakeable - the tilt of the head, the neat features. And the others are all too burly. It's a great photo - I just knew I'd like it!

Marina

Evening All

I would appreciate some help in deciphering this evenings transcription which I shall post below. It has taken me two hours to type three days worth of diary and you can see how much I cannot read, over to you Frev :D

63rd Instalment

Saturday December 16th

Reorganisation and indication of targets. Bombing practice and wiring. In the afternoon all ranks carried out a battalion outpost scheme. At 8 o/c Captain Kirby outlined the afternoons work which led to considerable debate and argument. The CO –ff- --- considerably night leave has been stopped and Wednesday afternoon sports are to be replaced by drill. A few of the officers are making the face a ------. We have got a piano in the mess and a good player and this livens things up a bit.

Sunday December 17th

Brek 9 o/c. Lecture by the Co in the mess on ceremonial drill. Len Erray and I went into Amiens and had lunch at the Hotel du Rhin and did some shopping and went all over the cathedral. There was a service on at the time. Had tea and caught the 6.15 back to Picquigny. We have a -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- at the chateau and got ---- from the ----.

Monday December 18th

PT. Bayonet fighting and indication and recognition of targets. Field sketching in the afternoon. Bitterly cold today. At 5 o/c an artillery Colonel lectured us on Cooperation of Artillery and infantry at which the officers and NCO’s of the 4th ---- school were present there –ous--- from the CO at mess tonight. Had an impromptu concert tonight which was quite a success.

many thanks for any help in advance

Regards Julian

post-3340-1116712139.jpg

Hi PompeyRodney,

Like all the other guys I am enjoying reading youy history episodes.

In episode 6 you mentioned a Brigadier McKay.

I think that this was Temporary Brigadier General Ivan Gifford MacKay. who was wounded in August 1915 with the 4th Battalion.

He was awarded the DSO & Bar, C.M.G. CdeG, and was M.I.D. 5 Times.

Keep up the good work

KAYJAY

Evening All

Latest instalment for all my avid readers

64th Instalment

Tuesday December 19th

Coy drill and route march in the morning. Bitterly cold, open order drill and demonstration of Mills rifle grenades. Lecture at 4 o/c by Major Butler from Army corps HQ on intelligence which was interesting. Played bridge after mess.

Wednesday December 20th

Baths PT and bayonet fighting in the morning. Platoon drill and football in the afternoon. The Colonel spoke about intelligence after mess.

Thursday December 21st

Company drill in the rain for an hour and then open order drill. Lecture in the afternoon and one at 7 o/c on protection by the CO. A miserable day today and not fit for outdoor work.

Friday December 22nd

PT and bayonet fighting and then lecture on advance guard and put same into practice. Practiced rear guards in the afternoon and at 3 o/c formed up for ceremonial and at 3.30 the GOC 4th Army General Rawlinson inspected us and the school and at mess the Colonel told us he was very pleased with the show we put up. Lecture by Captain Campbell on Fire Control at 5 o/c. Mess at 6 o/c, a good concert at 7 o/c. All officers waited in the ante room after the concert. We thought we were going to get strafed but the Colonel told us amidst shouts of applause that the GOC Division had granted Paris leave to all officers who wished to go at the school over Xmas.

Lets be hearing your thoughts then you pals out there !

Regards

Julian

Guest orivetto
Lets put it this way....the camel third left has a big grin on its face.  :blink:

Andy

The prostrate digger belongs to the AIF Bricking team.

As soon as this group of tourists dismount the camels will be watered from the cistern on which sits the Arab in the left foreground.

The female camel is grinning because she is aware of the fate awaiting her male companions once the bricks are retreived from behind the retaining wall.

Hi Orivetto

That is very interesting my friend, how do you know this by the way. It would be nice to compare this photo with how the sphinx looks now as I understand it has changed quite a lot since then.

Regards

Julian

Hi All

I owe everyone an apology for not finishing off the diary these last few days. I am off on holiday to France tomorrow and I promise I shall finish it off on my return on the 5th of June. Forgive me people :D

Regards

Julian

Hi All

I owe everyone an apology for not finishing off the diary these last few days. I am off on holiday to France tomorrow and I promise I shall finish it off on my return on the 5th of June. Forgive me people  :D

Regards

Julian

Tearing up the town with John then? :P

Marina

Guest meltrky

Julian

Strange that you should enquire how anyone would know about the Camel husbandry associated with the picture of your Grandfather.

As it happens my mother's grandfather, Horace Dargey, was also a member of the RAN Bricking team. The story goes that but for his clumsiness, my mother and I would never have seen the light of day. He was repatriated, with severely bruised thumbs, in 1916. Others from his unit were sent to Europe and never returned home to start their families.

Horrie & his four brothers had started a lucrative portrait concession in the AIF training camps, and continued the business when transferred to Mena Camp.

They organised a detailed procedure which is illustrated in your grandfathers picture. Have you noticed that almost all pictures of camel-mounted Anzacs are taken from exactly the same spot near the sphynx?

The identification numerals in the foreground of your picture show it was taken by the Dargeys. Mother had told us how meticulous Horrie had been. His studio did not have the use of digital, instamatic, polaroid or such gizmo's. His routine was for the customer to"take a ticket", take a half hour tour on the camel, pose in front of the pyramid, wait another half hour and collect the picture. His greatest regret, besides the bruised thumbs was apparently that someone stole the detailed records that he had kept of all the clients.

Hi Jules

It looks like it'll be a while before you read this - your holiday sounds far more exotic than the one I just returned from!!

Are you (or should I say - have you been) following John's trail - or as Marina said - just checking out the sights of Paris?!

I too picked John out easily in the 'camel' photo - I can't believe that such a 'recorder of detail' didn't write the names of the soldiers on the back - pity.

Sun Dec 17th

We have a ---------------------------------------------- at the chateau and got ---- from the ----.

My attempt: We have a gramaphone with (or) in the -------------- at the chateau --------- a gift from the A.C.F. [ie. Aust. Comforts Fund]

Not much help, sorry - all I can come up with.

Cheers for now, Frev

Julian

The identification numerals in the foreground of your picture show it was taken by the Dargeys.

Hi, Meltry,

Truly amazing that Julina should enpcunter a descendant of John's photographer. I had a similar experience here on the Forum - one of the Pals is the grandson of my great grandfather's commanding officer.

Marina

A very good question Marina, I know not the answer as yet, will have to find some time to do the digging on it.

Julian

Don't waste too much time researching!

On his emarkation roll on the AWM he is recorded as having no prior military service. His attestation papers likewise?

Just picked up on this (bit slow after my holiday!!)

Jules - if you haven't already picked up on it - something for you to come home to - John's Service record on line at last!!!! All 80 pages of it (though mostly repitition).

Cheers, Frev :P