Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battery Machine Gun Corps (Motors)

pjwmacro

On 6/22/2017 at 22:48, pjwmacro said:

Many thanks for your support Charles. Although I suspect Motor Machine Gunners are turning in their graves at any association of a "Motors" unit with the words "fairly insignificant" - even if it was qualified "might seem"! It is fascinating how far we have advanced in just a few months and that the forum has managed to link 2 grandsons and a great grandson from the one battery, with great support from David Murdoch - the grandson of another Motors Machine Gunner - and several others. Thank you to you all - but I am sure there are more descendants out there with other photos and stories to share.

On a slightly different note - the LLT entry against 22 Bty MMG, states "formed in India in Apr 1916". Neither David or I are convinced that this is accurate - given the evidence that suggests officers, a significant proportion of the men and their motor equipment shipped from Devonport as a formed unit in Feb 16. How does one speak with LLT to check what the provenance of their statement might be?

Best wishes, Paul

Paul

Chris Baker owns the LLT website and is the founder of this forum.  I, too, am certain that it was formed in UK, probably at Bisley, where most of the MMG btys formed up.

Charles M

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 19:39, pjwmacro said:

The Action at Badama Post - 30/31 Jul 1919.

The Third Afghan War 1919 Official Account, which was complied in the General Staff Branch, Army Headquarters, India in 1926, includes a short description of this incident which took place in late July 1919.  This reads as follows:

"On the 30th of July, a report was received that a large body of Orakzais and Zaimukhts were collecting in the Khurmana Valley to raid the Kurram, and to attack the posts of Badama and Sadda.  Reinforcements of regular troops were sent to Sadda, whilst four aeroplanes flew over the Khurmana to locate the gathering.  On their way back, the last machine was shot down at short range by a party concealed on the hill side, and the pilot and observer were both wounded.  A race for the wrecked machine then took place between the tribesmen and the Militia from Badama.  The Militia just won, and the wounded airmen, who had roughly dismantled their machine, were brought in.  The engine was brought in intact the following morning by a party of Kurram Militia from Badama, assisted by a party of regular troops from Sadda."

My grandfather left a rather fuller account of the incident, which was lodged in the NAM by my father - NAM 2009-12-06. It reads as follows:

REPORT BY SGT MACRO

"On July 30th 1919 a report was received in Parachinar by Major Malony[sic], OC 22nd Battery, MMG, that large numbers of tribesmen were collecting in the Khurmana Valley for the purpose of attacking a convoy expected to pass along the Thal-Parachinar Rd.
On receipt of this message Major Malony detailed Sgt Macro to take No 3 Section, 22 Battery MMG and patrol the road from Parachinar to Sadda, and there to rendezvous with Major Dodd to exchange information.
The rendezvous effected in the late afternoon, and Major Dodd reported that the tribesmen appeared to be dispersing owing to the arrival of the MMG section.
This conference took place outside the walls of the post, and while it was in progress, an aeroplane was seen to zoom down into a valley beyond Badama Post.  As the plane did not reappear it was assumed it had been shot down and Major Dodd set off on horseback, accompanied by a few militiamen.  No 3 Sect. MMG prepared for action and also set off for the post, but as there was no road, had to pick their way along the hilltop, and so did not arrive at the post until some minutes after Major Dodd.  He reported that some of his militia were bringing in the two wounded airmen, and Sgt Macro ordered one of his Ford vans to be cleared ready to take the airmen to hospital.  The airmen, who were too badly injured even to help themselves, were given first aid, and dispatched to Kohut.
Sgt Macro, who had had RAF experience, realising that the wrecked plane would contain probably more than 1000 rounds of ammunition, possibly bombs and machine guns which would be of great value to the tribesmen, volunteered to go down to the wrecked plane, which was lying at the bottom of a dry river bed, to see what could be salvaged.  Major Dodd said he would accompany him, and, although he hadnt sufficient men to picket the hillside, would bring a few men with him to carry back anything salvaged.  Sgt Macro positioned his two machine guns so that they could give covering fire if necessary, placed the section under the command of Cpl Warburton, and climbed down the hillside to the wrecked plane.
The tribesmen, encouraged by their success, commenced to reassemble and the party was subjected to an increasing volume of sniping, but most of the party were able to lie under cover of the rocks and no one was hit.  The plane had crashed on its nose leaving the tail up in the air.  Sgt Macro climbed into the cockpit, released the bombs from the rack, and having examined them to see if they were safe to handle, sent them up to the post.  He then handed out the boxes and drums of ammunition, dismounted the Lewis gun, dismantled the Vickers, and passed them out to the militia to carry away.  The only part of the Vickers not salvaged was the barrel casing, which couldnt be got at because of the crashed engine.
It was now beginning to get dark, and the tribesmen, getting bolder, were closing in along the hillsides, so the party withdrew to Badama Post.  This was too small to hold the MMG Section, so this withdrew to Sadda, where Major Dodd also spent the night.
The following morning the section returned to Badama and found that, despite flares having been fired over the wreck at intervals during the night, the tribesmen had managed to carry away all but the planes engine.  The MMG Section gave covering fire, and a party of militiamen got to the plane, and managed to carry the engine to Badama Post.  The MMG Section returned to Sadda to await the return of scouts regarding the movements of the tribesmen.  That evening the scouts reported that the tribesmen were dispersing and returning to their villages, so the next day No 3 section MMG returned to Parachinar.
Sgt Macro reported to OC 22nd Battery MMG, Major Malony, on the success of the mission.  Major Malony complimented him on his handling of the situation, and said he had received an excellent report of his conduct from Major Dodd, and that he was being recommended for a DCM.  However, nothing was ever heard of this."

My grandfather didn't get a DCM but was MiD - I believe for this action. Accounts can be found in the war diaries of both the Kurram Militia and 22 MMG Bty (both in TNA) but neither are anywhere near as detailed as my grandfather's report. The authors of the official history clearly based their paragraph on the war diaries - some bits are almost word for word repeated.

Paul: that's a great story!  For what it's worth I have a picture of one of the Ford vans (though from a few years earlier) that has a slight "wreck."  Any idea what kind of plane that was?  It was probably a Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2b Reconnaissance / Fighter / Night Bomber Aircraft (1915), since your story mentions two wounded airmen as the F.E.2b aircraft had a pilot and observer.  There were usually two Lewis machine guns.  The mention of a Vickers machine gun as well as a Lewis?   So now not sure of the aircraft.

Edited by JPJamie

Dear Paul,

An extremely well-earned MiD; quite possibly downgraded from a DCM (or even MM).

One wonders what, if anything, Major Dodd (or the Flyers) got? 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

On 25/06/2017 at 05:04, JPJamie said:

Paul: that's a great story!  For what it's worth I have a picture of one of the Ford vans (though from a few years earlier) that has a slight "wreck."  Any idea what kind of plane that was?  It was probably a Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2b Reconnaissance / Fighter / Night Bomber Aircraft (1915), since your story mentions two wounded airmen as the F.E.2b aircraft had a pilot and observer.  There were usually two Lewis machine guns.  The mention of a Vickers machine gun as well as a Lewis?   So now not sure of the aircraft.

Speaking with Paul about this offline he said from his research the plane was from No.20 Squadron. Looking them up, they arrived in the area in June 1919 equipped with Bristol Fighters. These have a fixed forward firing Vickers and a Lewis for the observer. Photo is of a No.20 Sq Bristol Fighter over the Khyber Pass some years later.

CVxS4HvXIAANOhY.jpg.b52a8664c74f3bf360a08015197fa092.jpg

3 hours ago, JPJamie said:

James, Kim, David

I can confirm the aircraft was a 20 Sqn Bristol Fighter F4626.( For a long time I thought it was 31 Sqn FE2c).

Research ongoing ref  Maj Percy Charles Russel DODD (31 Lancers) who commanded the Kurram Militia - i believe  he was made DSO -  not sure whether for his command of the Kurram Militia or later -  danger of getting off topic here!

Ref  the aircraft see:

Best Paul

Edited by pjwmacro

5 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Speaking with Paul about this offline he said from his research the plane was from No.20 Squadron. Looking them up, they arrived in the area in June 1919 equipped with Bristol Fighters. These have a fixed forward firing Vickers and a Lewis for the observer. Photo is of a No.20 Sq Bristol Fighter over the Khyber Pass some years later.

CVxS4HvXIAANOhY.jpg

Great picture David!  Once again, I tend to miss the obvious...like the YEAR and month: July 1919, NOT 1916-18.  This aircraft explains the Vickers and the Lewis machine guns in your story.  The Vickers was inside the fuselage, retained the water cooling jacket without water and air was the primary coolant.    

Edited by JPJamie

On 2017-6-24 at 20:37, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Paul,

An extremely well-earned MiD; quite possibly downgraded from a DCM (or even MM).

One wonders what, if anything, Major Dodd (or the Flyers) got? 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks Kim. I have always suspected downgraded from a DCM write up, but of course my grandfather wouldn't have known - and indeed there shouldn't have been "mention of a DCM"!

Ref Dodd and the aircrew see post id 230.

Regards, Paul

On 2017-6-24 at 00:47, JPJamie said:

Alex: I think they are exact duplicates, only different film developing techniques.  That said, our scanning/Photoshop techniques throw a variable into the calculus here.  Look at both images of the men cleaning the pool side-by-side and they appear to be exact matches but different "exposures."  Mine is on the left and yours on the right.  If they were two different images taken at different times, the men's positions would have moved.  So I think, the same camera was used, but dark room technique (with the consideration of our techniques) might be different for both.  This was probably done to increase the number of photographs for distribution from the same roll of film.

Taj_Composite_685x300.png.7f5c07b5db9fc011e6ab21188aabcc49.png

Fascinating stuff both James and Alex. I wonder whether it was an official or unofficial arrangement of having some form of unit photographer and distributing these photos?  And given both your relatives were No1 section (and my grandfather was No 3), was it confined to 1 section - although James and I have a couple of duplicate images, my grandfather's album seems altogether to have far fewer "professional" photos than your yours. Maybe we will never know - but I hope we can find more descendants with similar albums.  They are fascinating insight into history.

Best, Paul

On 2017-6-24 at 17:34, JPJamie said:

Here is a very good picnic scene.

A far right is Girdwood, John Private M2/097864 Army Service Corps

Alex: is that your great grandfather Walter Patrick behind Girdwood?

picnicing_902x744.png.d5bdb2cfc5fe6145b940085ce5fd0a04.png

Certainly looks like Walter Patrick to me. I'm not sure about Girdwood - is it captioned?

On 2017-6-24 at 17:37, david murdoch said:

Another name to added to the list

Found today on GSM roll for NWF1919

Edgar William Davis

Private M2/115535 ASC "Attd 22nd Battery MMGC"

Got his MIC, and he was entitled to BWM only and GSM with clasp.

Address on MIC is Vancouver BC Canada.

No discharge date on medal roll.

Not found a service record on him yet, but I'd say he's likely another who shipped out to India on Beltana.

So now have 5  ASC names linked to Battery and who would be part of the total battery headcount.

On GSM roll shows up 7 ASC attd 15th MMG Battery which is probably a full headcount of their motor transport drivers /mechanics.

Well done David. I'll try looking  him up tonight. Paul

On 2017-6-21 at 11:31, abowell97 said:

Thanks, it was worth checking but there wasn't anything, but I'll inquire with family members to see if they know anything more than I do about his possible medal whereabouts. 

Next few photos, I hope these aren't duplicates of one's already on here!

"I shall be sending a number of photos during the next month or two, + I want you to take care that they don't get spoilt as I want to keep them. - Walter.

No.1 section, 22nd Bty, M.M.G.S."

Apologies for not reducing the size much, but it is difficult to make out faces on that one. The original was extremely overexposed, and it seems I've reached the editing limit before it starts to look worse than it did originally. Walter Patrick on the back row, second from the left, I'm unaware of others in the picture. 

594a46d955512_IMG_0004(2).thumb.jpg.e566ac14dfb2ea57e4a15f8c0cd6a658.jpg

"WPatrick"

Walter Patrick, bottom row on the right. 

No caption (so I couldn't be sure if it was the 22nd Bty), and I'm not aware of anyone on the image, but it did seem like a decent photo. 

Hope these help.

I notice in this one the left hand chap (standing row) is wearing a kilt - compared to shorts on the right. Further evidence of the Scottish links of the battery? 

On 26/06/2017 at 17:14, pjwmacro said:

I notice in this one the left hand chap (standing row) is wearing a kilt - compared to shorts on the right. Further evidence of the Scottish links of the battery? 

I have two other images of an unnamed man in a kilt, not sure who he is but I'll put the pictures up soon. 

On 25/06/2017 at 02:34, JPJamie said:

Alex: is that your great grandfather Walter Patrick behind Girdwood?

picnicing_902x744.png.d5bdb2cfc5fe6145b940085ce5fd0a04.png

Great picture, I'm afraid that isn't Walter Patrick though.

A few more pictures;

5950e48d0d867_IMG_0007(2).jpg.ec72c1f9ef294f763810ffa7f30ffc25.jpg

"Gr. Keddie as Cowboy"                                            "With best wishes, W.Lafferty"                

Above was extremely over-exposed, so the editing made it look rather grainy. 

5950e4851e2f9_IMG_0006(2).jpg.3798630ffa7c6dc6784ed7ab900a7bb8.jpg

Walter Patrick, second from the right.

Tried to get these on a separate post from the quotes but had a couple of problems.

Hope these help!

Got a positive id on Lafferty now just by getting an initial!

Gunner William Lafferty 1567.

Just a couple of numbers away from JJ's grandfather.

His Medal Index card is a giveaway - BWM only then GSM with clasp.

So again likely one of the battery originals. In the most recent photo also has a good conduct stripe.

However to make it interesting he also has a Tank Corps Number. 321487.

Hot news!  Reason I never found him before is because he is  on Tank Corps India GSM roll! Looking at that he is there, but seeing another 11 new 22nd Battery names we have not touched. Looks like some opted to stay on in India but they re numbered in Tank Corps, so came off the MGC rolls I have been searching.

I'll get this copied out and posted shortly, and update the spread sheet.

Looks like we now have two Collins also......  Gunner Edward "Ted" Collins 1622, but now also Gunner Thomas Collins 1624 -  possibly brothers enlisted together.

Edited by david murdoch

30 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

Got a positive id on Lafferty now just by getting an initial!

Gunner William Lafferty 1567.

Just a couple of numbers away from JJ's grandfather.

His Medal Index card is a giveaway - BWM only then GSM with clasp.

So again likely one of the battery originals. In the most recent photo also has a good conduct stripe.

However to make it interesting he also has a Tank Corps Number. 321487.

Hot news!  Reason I never found him before is because he is  on Tank Corps India GSM roll! Looking at that he is there, but seeing another 11 new 22nd Battery names we have not touched. Looks like some opted to stay on in India but they re numbered in Tank Corps, so came off the MGC rolls I have been searching.

Looks like we now have two Collins also......  Gunner Edward "Ted" Collins 1622, but now also Gunner Thomas Collins 1624 -  possibly brothers enlisted together.

WOW! Double WOW!

James had at least one good photo of Lafferty (I`ll need to check back) - but I recall him on a m/c with Ross, and one on a m/c by himself?

So the T Collins in James's photos is probably Thomas or Tommy.  Do either James or Alex have any labelled as "E" Collins?  Or do we have any that are just Collins - and we`ll try and compare?  And who is service number 1623? And if the Collins's are brothers - how did 1623 manage to split them at enlistment?

On 27/06/2017 at 00:30, pjwmacro said:

WOW! Double WOW!

James had at least one good photo of Lafferty (I`ll need to check back) - but I recall him on a m/c with Ross, and one on a m/c by himself?

So the T Collins in James's photos is probably Thomas or Tommy.  Do either James or Alex have any labelled as "E" Collins?  Or do we have any that are just Collins - and we`ll try and compare?  And who is service number 1623? And if the Collins's are brothers - how did 1623 manage to split them at enlistment?

Yes getting interesting! 1623 was a Gunner Harold John Haycock. He's on the BWM only roll amongst the 22nd Battery lads, and his discharge date is also 1/1/1920. Probably another of the missing, but not got anything in writing stating him as 22nd and he has no GSM on his MIC. In the photos William Lafferty is on the bike with Ross (banker) who is not identified yet.

As I'm looking wider than just 22nd Battery I'll keep a side list of other possibilities for 22nd battery personnel who have service numbers and discharge dates that fit the pattern.

59513d0f33a37_Lafferty_Ross_702x574.png.ec10bf056888645de0d0ba17abba2570-Copy.png.1e4eef9751bd09818ee903e13c5e3905.png

6 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Hi David

Have you got these 2?

Pte JB Adams 10861 (might be 10551?) 22 MMG Bty later TC 7807432 disch 2/3/30

And

Gnr J Alan 61694 22 MMG Bty transfered TC 7871588.

Both IGSM AFG -  NWF1919 and (I assume) BWM and VM.

??

Best, Paul

Paul. Yes those are two of them. I'll type up the full list and post shortly. 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 05:45, abowell97 said:

I have two other images of an unnamed man in a kilt, not sure who he is but I'll put the pictures up soon. 

A few more pictures;

"Gr. Keddie as Cowboy"                                          

Alex:  I have another image of Gunner Keddie as a Cowboy only a different angle.  He is wearing the same outfit, but not holding the Webley revolver.  Cannot at this writing scan or upload the image, but I will do.   

Edited by JPJamie

15 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Fascinating stuff both James and Alex. I wonder whether it was an official or unofficial arrangement of having some form of unit photographer and distributing these photos?  And given both your relatives were No1 section (and my grandfather was No 3), was it confined to 1 section - although James and I have a couple of duplicate images, my grandfather's album seems altogether to have far fewer "professional" photos than your yours. Maybe we will never know - but I hope we can find more descendants with similar albums.  They are fascinating insight into history.

Best, Paul

I hope we can figure out or get evidence to demonstrate there was a official photographer or an acting "good chap" non-com assigned photographer by the officers.  I have a feeling that might be what happened here.  I have a friend who is a retired photographer and will ask about photography in the early 1900's. The only evidence so far, is that original hard copy photographs in my album are larger, tend to be higher quality with regard to composition and have a white border.  

Edited by JPJamie

Dear All,

My view is that soldiers (even Officers) did not possess cameras, as a rule.

Such snapshots may well have been taken by itinerate Indian photographers who would ply their trade amongst the various units, selling prints at affordable amounts.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

3 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Hi David

Have you got these 2?

Pte JB Adams 10861 (might be 10551?) 22 MMG Bty later TC 7807432 disch 2/3/30

And

Gnr J Alan 61694 22 MMG Bty transfered TC 7871588.

Both IGSM AFG -  NWF1919 and (I assume) BWM and VM.

??

Best, Paul

Paul. Here is the full list of those found today.

MMGS service numbers – almost certainly original battery members.

Gunner  Alexander Cunningham Young  1368 (321505 Tank Corps) Discharged 25/6/1920 BWM and GSM/clasp

Gunner  William Lafferty  1567 (321487 Tank Corps) Discharged 6/6/1920  BWM and GSM/clasp

Gunner Thomas Collins 1624 (321476 Tank Corps) Discharged  10/6/1920  BWM and GSM/clasp

MGC Numbers.

Private William John Jones 19847 (321486 Tank Corps) Discharged  21/6/1920 Previous to MGC was Driver T4/041623 Army Service Corps. Has BWM/VM and 1915 star from 18/2/1915. Possibly ASC member of a Battery who transferred to MGC.

Gunner John William Rigg  163651 (321528 Tank Corps) Discharged 1/5/1920 Previously 38914 with East Lancashire Reg. Only has BWM and GSM/clasp

Gunner Thomas Wilson 163655 (321501 Tank Corps) Discharged 4/6/1920 Previously 201507 Loyal North Lancs Reg.  Only has BWM and GSM/clasp

Private Thomas Garrity 62542 (7871554 Tank Corps) Only showing GSM/Clasp

Gunner Joseph Walker  61542 ( 321553 Tank Corps then 7871626 Tank Corps) Discharged 31/3/1921 Previously 12932  North Staffordshire (Prince of Wales's) Reg. Has BWM/VM and 1915 star from 26/6/1915 (I think in Egypt), GSM/clasp.

Gunner Thomas Lloyd Williams 191854 MGC(M) ( 321503 Tank Corps then 7871581 Tank Corps ) Discharged 31/3/1921 Previously T4/214018 Army service Corps. Has BWM and GSM/clasp

Gunner John Allen 61694 MGC(M) (7871588 Tank Corps) Discharged  not stated. Previous to MGC was  Private 1424 in 2nd Black Watch. Has  BWM /VM and 1914 Star from October 12th 1914 . Looks like  pre war regular going from India to France at that time with Black Watch. GSM and Clasp, and possibly a MM.  Finally Corporal D/17249  Recruit Selection Centre Fusiliers

Private  John B Adams 10861 MGC (7807432 Tank Corps ) Discharged 2/3/1930. Previously 15973 Royal Fusiliers.

Looks like anyone left after January 1920 transferred over to Tank Corps with these 321*** series numbers. Most of them only stayed a few more months until May/June 1920. There is no indication of which unit they were with, but maybe just stayed over caretaking the remains of the battery (equipment) or training whoever took it over. The others who stayed on then renumbered again with 78***** service numbers sometime between June 1920 and March 1921. Also you can see by the medal roll all the assorted A.M.B units coming under Tank Corps umbrella by the time of Waziristan There are a couple of 15th and 19th MMG Battery lads in there too.

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

My view is that soldiers (even Officers) did not possess cameras, as a rule.

Such snapshots may well have been taken by itinerate Indian photographers who would ply their trade amongst the various units, selling prints at affordable amounts.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim. I think in their case they did have access to a camera and darkroom facilities - as been mentioned in a post further back hints at someone in No.1 section being a photo buff. It kind of mirrors what I got from my grandfather - his unit in Mesopotamia certainly had access to camera and darkroom, as there are various snaps of each other and the sights. Some of the little prints (really contact prints off the negatives) have been sent home in letters. I actually have some of the original negatives, so  believe was my grandfather that took/developed them. I think  the units had issue cameras for reconnaissance purposes. In addition I have some pictures marked on the back "from negatives found in captured German wireless station". Shows a couple of German officers standing by the Euphrates!

Dear David,

Okay. Thanks for that. I stand corrected.

Super thread, by the way.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 27/06/2017 at 00:30, pjwmacro said:

Do either James or Alex have any labelled as "E" Collins?  

I don't have anyone labelled as 'Collins' in any of my photos I'm afraid. 

On 26/06/2017 at 17:14, pjwmacro said:

Here's another picture of the as-yet-unnamed, kilted man:

IMG_0009.jpg.0909a24f95ac0dd4c3be5986a5afe174.jpg

No caption though. 

Two more, fairly decent quality photos:

IMG_0010.jpg.cf4aba6731d7989965eed70e837401b2.jpg

"Rangefinder + taker. This instrument gives the exact range of any object up to 20,000 yds away"

This image seemed more professional, and a company it is stamped on the back as "J.T.M. Gough", which I can only assume is the company used to develop the image, as it has a symbol indicating it was done in India. It's a large, high quality copy so I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few people already had this one. 

Walter Patrick's more 'professional' photograph, taken in 1915. Not in my collection, but found in a photo album. 

WalterPatrick1915.jpg.26debc48a414ea99408b38eef205fb0e.jpg

On 26/06/2017 at 20:45, abowell97 said:

A few more pictures;

"Gr. Keddie as Cowboy"                                          

Alex:  I was wrong when I wrote I have another image of Keddie as Cowboy, I have Dowie!

Taken at the same spot, but different angle as the tree is the same in both images.

They probably took turns dressing up as a cowboy.

Gunner_Dowie_497x852.png.fa2365697367813669c9be35c2f84579.png