Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Deactivation of weapons regulations

flers1916

Which dealer Mark? PM me if you would rather. I have an idea!

TT

So if I have an FAC I can take a live SMLE, but if I have an FAC and own a de-act SMLE i can't take it ???

You got it, as a live firer is covered by shooting sports agreements you can criss-cross the channel it, however take a de-act or replica and all hell will descend upon you.

Remember its to make you safer from those naughty terrorists!

Hi all,

please look at the parliamentary petition 129843, it takes less than a minute to sign it and it may keep de-act available to us.

Unfortunately I can't manage to get the link to work

regards

Dave

Hello all.

After my post of the link all further posts on the subject seem to have stopped?

Is it not correct?

Thanks for any replies,

Regards.

Hi all,

please look at the parliamentary petition 129843, it takes less than a minute to sign it and it may keep de-act available to us.

regards

Dave

Duly signed, but I think we need to get a lot more to sign!

I had noticed that some dealers had started selling deacts again. I'll be going to the Leeds fair on the 22nd May, so I'll see what's there, you never know, I might pick up something.

Hello all.

After my post of the link all further posts on the subject seem to have stopped?

Is it not correct?

Thanks for any replies,

Regards.

No it's not stopped. A first hurdle that is positive but the proposal as it was initially submitted plus many suggested amendments still need a final vote. Could still go badly.

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Leeds Arms Fair yesterday, there were quite a few dealers selling deacts, rifles, pistols and automatic weapons. Said they were going to continue to do so until the law is clarified, however long that takes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

regards

Dave

Have tried twice to sign this petition but no email was forthcoming.

Tomo

Our group will only be bringing live firers to France this year. They are apparently safer in the eyes of the EU than de-acts.

Try telling politicians anything. They probably got into their heads that some deactivated weapons can be reactivated (as they can) and decided to ban deacts.

Getting into their thick skulls that a weapon that works is more dangerous than one that can't is not on the agenda - certain newspapers have made a fuss about deatcs, so they have to do what they say.

How many times have I seen it over the years. I long since lost count.

i've just recieved the latest World Wide Arms catalogue through the post, they are now selling the new spec deacts with UK/EU certs. Plenty of automatic assault weapons on sale, with the usual bolt action rifles and automatic pistols in evidence. No light machine-guns on show though!

new specs published by the home office today.

Our de acts have been given approval from the French to attended the Somme centenary at the end of the month.

New UK/EU deactivation specs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/deactivated-firearms-implementing-regulation-eu-20152403

Pretty unpleasant. Quite brainlessly, both Lewis guns and AK-47's will have to be welded into paperweights. :( Naturally they haven't mentioned that the requirement to re-do deacts to the new specs on sale or transfer is currently unenforceable. What we have to hope is that the previous UK specs get 're-recognised' at some point.

The new specs will appease the ignorant masses!

They have just made my collection utterly worthless....

Your collection is worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.

This will damage the 'open' trade, but quite how private sales are meant to be policed (and quite how thus creating a black market will improve public safety...) is another matter.

The whole thing is a nonsense.

Any rifle, pistol or machine gun deactivated to the British Standard that has existed of the last few year cannot be reactivated without replacing all the pressure bearing parts i.e everything that makes it a gun.

This just shows how ignorant politicians and civil servants are OR how devious and manipulative the Home Office is.

John

It seems unfair that people who have large collections or who are bona fide dealers with considerable stock should have to accept the severe financial penalty caused by this Brussels inspired legislation. I know it won't happen but I think compensation should be paid to at least legitimate traders. Having seen my local police force proudly showing off on TV its amnesty surrendered pocket flint lock pistols and rusty Great War era -455 Webley revolvers (firearms taken "off the streets") I can't help thinking they would be would be better employed dealing with the importation of soviet legacy modern arms - current price I think the BBC put at £100 a -38 semi-automatic pistol.

It seems unfair that people who have large collections or who are bona fide dealers with considerable stock should have to accept the severe financial penalty caused by this Brussels inspired legislation. I know it won't happen but I think compensation should be paid to at least legitimate traders. Having seen my local police force proudly showing off on TV its amnesty surrendered pocket flint lock pistols and rusty Great War era -455 Webley revolvers (firearms taken "off the streets") I can't help thinking they would be would be better employed dealing with the importation of soviet legacy modern arms - current price I think the BBC put at £100 a -38 semi-automatic pistol.

Brussels doesn't inspire legislation, the Commission does what others ask to be done i.e. come up with texts on whatever subject. Somewhere in this regulation there is a national government with a minister making a speech declaring that they have got the EU to take spteps to make the world safer.

Whether they have or not (and the insinuation is that the EU doesn't want the world safer) is irrelevant to those politicians.

Healdav

The points I wanted to make were about the financial loss - without compensation- to dealers and collectors of Great War (and other) deacs caused by this legislation and that I feel the British law enforcement agencies should be concentrating on the smuggling of modern weapons into the UK - as reported by the BBC- rather than worrying about deactivated Great War and other antique firearms.

If, rather like Basil Fawltey, I mentioned " Brussels" I hope I got away with it!

Yperman

I believe the European Firearms Directive has been in the pipeline for a number of years. I suspect the French government asked the Commission to both speed and toughen things up after the Paris attacks. The requirement to weld on magazines is probably French inspired: MG magazines are a controlled item in France.

And it still could get worse re automatics!!!! Could still be banned to own a Lewis, Thompson, Sten or Bren. And yet still selling.

TT

Any guesses how the magazine on an SMLE would be affected by all this, given that they're detachable but were intended to be filled in situ via charger (if I've got the correct term)? Presumably to follow the letter of the regulation they'd need to be welded in place, but there would be no requirement to weld in something to prevent the magazine from being filled via charger?