Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Deactivation of weapons regulations

flers1916

As we have just voted to leave the EU, where does this leave the new EU deactivation specs? Do we keep our own and only comply to theirs for guns leaving these shores? This could get VERY interesting now!

We are not out until Article 50 is invoked and then there is a tortuous negotiation period. Cynically I see no change to the EU directive or indeed any appetite from our own politicians to loosen gun control in the UK. 

I'm quite sure that you are correct in all you say. Just wishful thinking on my part of course. I'm just glad that I no longer have the guns that I used to have. The new rules would have been quite costly to me.

Don't assume anything. The negotiations to get out won't even have headings for 2 years or so, and the detailed negotiations will probably take at least 20 years.

The latest news says otherwise. Our European neighbours seem in a hurry to get rid of us!

And Good Bye to all That, 

From a De -AC Point of view of course :)

Cheers all.

12 hours ago, Stevie said:

The latest news says otherwise. Our European neighbours seem in a hurry to get rid of us!

They are in a hurry to start the process.

As always the devil is in the detail. There are literally hundreds of thousands of things that have to ne dengotiated and renegotiated before the process is complete. I they try to do it in two years the whole governmental process in Britain will be brought to a halt. All sorts of things that are dismissed as 'technical detais' by the politicians will have to be sorted out. Deactivates are one thing.

Just have a look and think at all the other things in your and my life that are now harmonised across Europe (not necessarily legislation), and you will be very surprised

For example, most people don't realise that Britain is a member of EURATOM and inspectors check stocks of nuclear materials right across Europe (I used to be one). All this is reported to the IAEA. If Britain is no longer in EURATOM; they will have to negotiate an agreement with the IAEA otherwise there will be no uranium supplied for the fuel for Hinkley C. The French are already very iffy about financing it, so with a dropping pound this may well be a good point for them to drop out. As British power stations are old and closing down, could electricity rationing (Ahh, British hearts rejoice at the though of rationing) be a result of this vote?

I don't say it will, but it could be. No one has thought of that.

And with are Backs to the wall.

GOOD BYE TO ALL THAT

23 minutes ago, 17107BM said:

And with are Backs to the wall.

GOOD BYE TO ALL THAT

To what exactly? Electricity?

Is that where Britain stands? Blackmailed, in a corner?

Do you think we would go for that? 

You of all know our History. We will not be Dictated to by un -elected.

I know this is not Forum matter, Mods you decide

We will just have to rebuild our coal fired power stations and start using the 300 years of coal we have still got, after all we have just been told we are insignificant on our own, so the resulting carbon must be as well :D

6 minutes ago, T8HANTS said:

We will just have to rebuild our coal fired power stations and start using the 300 years of coal we have still got, after all we have just been told we are insignificant on our own, so the resulting carbon must be as well :D

But then I worry about what would happen to the poor French energy companies and water company. Still, I suppose we could always go back and produce our own

Perhaps starting to demolish Didcot was a bit premature?

If were at the BACK OF THE QUE. 

Regarding a Trade deal with the USA that may save us a few Bob, as they never done us any favours in the past!

What would be wrong with a Trade Deal with Russia?

That's where are Gas comes from.

22 hours ago, 17107BM said:

We will not be Dictated to by un -elected.

We elect our MPs and if you think they will act to relax our gun laws now, after an MP was shot and killed you...

22 hours ago, 17107BM said:

know our History

Somehow I feel recent events may have pushed de-acts to the back of the queue. The MP was killed - if reported aright- by a homemade gun not a de-act - though I agree it is unlikely there will be any easing of the pressure on de-acts.

On 24/06/2016 at 20:57, Stevie said:

Yes, but what they are saying is that the application to leave should be done quickly, then THEY have 2 years to decide on the terms that will be set (Britain will have no say in it), and then the real bun fight will start, and Britain will need to not just repeal EU legislation but replace it with true blue British legislation saying much the same thing (so what's the point of it all?).

Of course, you will all be able to use vastly over powered kettles and thus pay bigger electricity bills, assumong you still have electricity as the French are pretty much certain to refuse to finance Hinkley C - its already a bit iffy to put it politely. Fleet Street will have to employ thousands to turn the presses by hand, and where will the labour come from? Immgrants!

Oh, and when all the sewage plants that were forced on you by the nasty EU have been closed down you will have restored the ancient British right to swim in raw sewage.

Discussion continues along the lines of: "Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Mods this has been hijacked and political re the last posts. Can we keep if focus see and on track please.

TT

Hi

there is a second reading of the bill in the house of Lords on the 5th July and the DWA are asking for people to contact the Lords via email and in writing to seek amendments to the bill. They have produced a draft/guide letter.

cheers 

This is a bit of an odd one, because the Great War Society were told weeks ago about their rifles - and then the French relented, so I don't know why its back in the newspapers at this late stage.

On a lighter note, the organisers of the event at Heaton Park, Manchester, have given me permission to take my Mk1*** with me - providing I never let it leave my side. I'm meant to be giving a bit of a talk on Pte Jack Smallshaw of the 11th ELR, and I'm hoping that my nerves do not get the better of me!

Edited by Stevie

On 30/06/2016 at 19:18, Stevie said:

This is a bit of an odd one, because the Great War Society were told weeks ago about their rifles - and then the French relented, so I don't know why its back in the newspapers at this late stage.

On a lighter note, the organisers of the event at Heaton Park, Manchester, have given me permission to take my Mk1*** with me - providing I never let it leave my side. I'm meant to be giving a bit of a talk on Pte Jack Smallshaw of the 11th ELR, and I'm hoping that my nerves do not get the better of me!

On a positive, and  British note. 

How did you do Pal.