Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre-War Cloth Shoulder Titles, Rank and Insignia photos.

Toby Brayley

Until 1906 the good conduct badges paid a penny each per day, and could be gained after 2,6,12,18, 23 and 28 years.

The 18, 23 and 28 badges could be earned two years early for continuous good conduct.

Hence a badge at 21 years.

15 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Until 1906 the good conduct badges paid a penny each per day, and could be gained after 2,6,12,18, 23 and 28 years.

The 18, 23 and 28 badges could be earned two years early for continuous good conduct.

Hence a badge at 21 years.

Thanks.

Exemplary is the word used to describe conduct on the discharge docs. of several band members. 

Alfred Norman wearing his 1st prize Efficient Gunners badge,  awarded to the most efficient Gunners in each Battery or Company of Artillery. He was stationed in Hong Kong when the image was taken. 

IMG_20190825_120253.jpg

A great day out at the Shropshire Regimental Museum. Lots of great exhibits on display, including this RVs Colour Sjts badge and another example multiple crossed swords worn, again by the Yeomanry. 

IMG_20190824_153052.jpg.8acc4f14428e04ac90c73359ba92b9eb.jpgIMG_20190824_154425.jpg.d18afbf1a5d05d98a307f1562d9fec75.jpg

2 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Alfred Norman wearing his 1st prize Efficient Gunners badge,  awarded to the most efficient Gunners in each Battery or Company of Artillery. He wants s stationed in Hong Kong when the image was taken. 

A great view of a RGA Bombardier in RA pattern undress frock.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

A great day out at the Shropshire Regimental Museum. Lots of great exhibits on display, including this RVs Colour Sjts badge and another example multiple crossed swords worn, again by the Yeomanry. 

Super photos Toby, thank you for posting. I’m always keen to see variations of Rifle Regiment Colour badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A couple of observations: the CSgt badge has a single bugle, whereas the fashion was for two.

The multiple crossed swords arm is strange .... dreadful stitchmanship on one, he should never wear two of same level, and I do not recognise the lowest at all. I suppose it is kosher, but betokens a sloppy SM, Adjt and CO.

22 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

A couple of observations: the CSgt badge has a single bugle, whereas the fashion was for two.

The multiple crossed swords arm is strange .... dreadful stitchmanship on one, he should never wear two of same level, and I do not recognise the lowest at all. I suppose it is kosher, but betokens a sloppy SM, Adjt and CO.

The single bugle was the approved pattern for a period, but unfortunately I don’t have to hand the precise dates when the single and twin variants were worn.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Some more gems from the SRM. One of the last surviving old fashioned (in the best sense) Regimental Museums. Really enjoyed it. 

IMG_20190824_153046.jpg

13 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Some more gems from the SRM. One of the last surviving old fashioned (in the best sense) Regimental Museums. Really enjoyed it. 

Great to see so many uniforms surviving.  I recommend the Dorset’s museum in Dorchester Barracks Keep if you haven’t already been.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Lots going on in this one, signalling course Aldershot c1904.  A large 8x5inch card.  Only one title is distinguishable that of the 4th Volunteer Btn W.RIDING.  The Nofork cut serge once again makes an appearance and  collar badges on S.D.

lots.jpg.fae9dbfff94ea60f049a5810d0c591d3.jpg

629374043_lots3.jpg.6840fbedcdf72c56862db7b46c775484.jpg

Unusual frock on this chap. Confirmation of regiment would be appreciated,  the collar badge is an armoured arm with a baton (not HAC).

663269845_lots2.jpg.5e5f49bf72ecb3f5a528a894f0b66ee2.jpg

883623087_lots4.jpg.86538642702e0be0d7fb19ef39bc3238.jpg

I’m fairly sure it’s a VB related to a County regiment, that to be different retained collar badges associated with its former RVC identity. 

20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m fairly sure it’s a VB related to a County regiment, that to be different retained collar badges associated with its former RVC identity. 

Thank you, at first with that shape of cap badge I thought Hertfordshire Regt and the collars were the sitting Hart, but that is not the case. 

A crisp late 1890s Cabinet Card of a Proficient Colour Serjeant from a Volunteer Btn of the Cheshire Regiment. He has at least 25 years service. 

Prof Colour Sjt Cheshire VB.jpg

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Thank you, at first with that shape of cap badge I thought Hertfordshire Regt and the collars were the sitting Hart, but that is not the case. 

I’ve managed to find the badge, which is the crest and motto of Viscount Ranelagh, that was first worn by the 2nd Middlesex RVC (South Middlesex).  “The Corp was formed in Fulham in 1859, and in the List of Volunteer Force Units in London in 1893 that Corps was at Waltham Green under Earl Cadogan.”

It became a VB of the KRRC (5th) on 1st July 1881.  In your photo not only is the collar badge worn, but also the forage cap badge.  See cover of unit regulations below for its circular design.  See also: https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_id=209210

C7E3A849-9BA3-4CB3-B8F8-9CE02A4DF5E2.jpeg

999457F2-409C-40C2-9AF7-853D7CCB4216.jpeg

832DD22E-7184-46D5-9917-5F02D0957505.jpeg

32EE66CD-80E4-48D1-89F9-3ACFBC403FD2.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’ve managed to find the badge, which is the crest and motto of Viscount Ranelagh, that was first worn by the 2nd Middlesex RVC (South Middlesex). 

That is super thank you! 

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

That is super thank you! 

Glad to help.  It was much mucked about as a unit.  In July 1881 it was made the 1st VB KRRC, but by Christmas of that year it had become the 2nd VB because a more senior RVC was moved to the KRRC belatedly.  Then, in 1908, whereas the majority of the VBs went to make up the London Regiment, it instead became the 10th (TF) Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment.  Finally, it was converted to Royal Signals in 1920, only to be disbanded completely the following year.  I wonder what Viscount Ranelagh thought!

P.S.  it must be a very rare photo of the badge in wear.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you once

19 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

P.S.  it must be a very rare photo of the badge in wear.

I would say so, its also further evidence of the Brodrick in wear by odd elements of the VF. 

Regards

Toby 

On 05/09/2019 at 13:51, Toby Brayley said:

Thank you once

I would say so, its also further evidence of the Brodrick in wear by odd elements of the VF. 

Regards

Toby 

Yes it’s an exceptional photo with much of interest from that transitional period.  The actual cap badge he is wearing can be seen at the Dix Noonan Webb link that I posted (see below); at the centre of the circlet were the same 3-Seaxes as the waist belt clasp.  Given the 1902+ date it is plain to see that they had adopted very little, if anything of KRRC dress and insignia since the enforced marriage in 1881.  No wonder then that they went elsewhere in 1908. 

South Middx RVC - Copy.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 3 weeks later...

A wonderfully crisp card of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Saltley College late 1890s. VF Sjt Instructor of Musketry and plenty of other nice details.  

1022709450_Warwicks2vbBtnSaltleyCollege1.jpg.6b8ac7b62a86b669ed2b7bb12f9ec233.jpg
2088344573_Warwicks2vbBtnSaltleyCollege2.jpg.eeb670a88f43d246f1f6151a33389a62.jpg
1164515113_Warwicks2vbBtnSaltleyCollege3.jpg.8d7a864a661bb0e8ccbf56c98e9e35f4.jpg
262339341_Warwicks2vbBtnSaltleyCollege4.jpg.12537d2e60f89b294bacf6fccbaf4f79.jpg
Edited by Toby Brayley

Superb photo Toby.  Cracking view of the Sergeant Instructor of Musketry, complete with the sword and cap that along with his 4-stripes and musketry badge visually marked his status as a senior member of the battalion staff sergeants.  Typical also, with their origins as RVC that the drummer has a buglers arm badge as opposed to the drum of his regular battalion counterparts.  At that time the bugle cord was only fitted to the bugle and not festooned around the shoulder, which was a later tradition that began just after the 2nd Anglo/Boer War.

NB.  It’s clear that collar badges are still being worn as headdress insignia on the field service caps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Very nice. I always ask myself what the members of a group photo have in common.

My suggestion is that these are the two officers, the colour sergeant, 3 or 4 sergeants, and the corporals and lance-corporals plus a bugler of a single company.

Pity none of the sergeants wears the scarlet sash ............ not the first time I have noted this in the VF

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

Very nice. I always ask myself what the members of a group photo have in common.

My suggestion is that these are the two officers, the colour sergeant, 3 or 4 sergeants, and the corporals and lance-corporals plus a bugler of a single company.

Pity none of the sergeants wears the scarlet sash ............ not the first time I have noted this in the VF

The white pouch belt was a uniform item of VBs (and previously VRC) specifically in lieu of a scarlet worsted sash, which at that time was a privilege of regular infantry sergeants only.  It’s odd that only the colour sergeant is wearing it.

The musketry sergeant is not serving with a regular unit, so presumably that’s why he’s without the sash he would have worn with his parent regular unit.

I agree that this seems likely to be the officers and NCOs of a single sub-unit.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Thank you .....  we have several VF infantry sergeants without the pouch belt. There is always an angle in these groups!

Yes, I think that it’s really unusual and should have an explanation, a rationale. Perhaps they are Lance Sergeants, although I’m not sure if they were established for VBs?

Edited by FROGSMILE