Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Air Force marked bayonets

trajan

A question- hope this would be the right place.  I recently found out (after a many year search) that my grandmother had a first cousin that was a master mechanic in 52 Squadron RAF.  To whom in the RAF would be issued bayonets?  Thanks.

new3.2

16 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Julian,

No, just S.D.

Mike.

Hmmm. The other examples we have recorded are all in the '1/SD' or '1/S D', format. The are not very common markings, though, I think JMB and I have recorded three or so - we need to do a 'compare and contrast' session! Anyway, current thinking with us is that as ‘SD’ was the standard interwar period RAF abbreviation for a Stores Depot, then the initial lot of P.1907 bayonets for the RAF were first serialled with that abbreviation when passed on to Number 1 Stores Depot in around 1919, the main sequence being registered when passed on to Number 2 SD in 1924+.

Julian  

19 hours ago, new3.2 said:

A question- hope this would be the right place.  I recently found out (after a many year search) that my grandmother had a first cousin that was a master mechanic in 52 Squadron RAF.  To whom in the RAF would be issued bayonets?  Thanks.

new3.2

Each RAF Station had a main gate through which both airmen & civilians entered and left; this gate was guarded 24/7.

Airfields were also expected to provide their own defense in time of war.

One very notable airman to whom a bayonet was issued was Lawrence of Arabia, while serving as Aircraftman Shaw in the inter-war period. He complained bitterly about having to polish his bayonet after long hours working in the hangar.

Regards,

JMB

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Each RAF Station had a main gate through which both airmen & civilians entered and left; this gate was guarded 24/7.

Airfields were also expected to provide their own defense in time of war.

One very notable airman to whom a bayonet was issued was Lawrence of Arabia, while serving as Aircraftman Shaw in the inter-war period. He complained bitterly about having to polish his bayonet after long hours working in the hangar.

Regards,

JMB

This raises something that has been nagging at me regarding this thread.

Surely all or virtually all of these RAF markings post-date WWI (1920s-40s) don't they? - given that the RAF came into being in April 1918 and even in a newly independent service desperate to carve out an identity,  marking bayonets (during wartime) must have been very low priority.

Chris

On 10/04/2022 at 03:53, new3.2 said:

new3.2

Gate guards for sure. But, as we will show in the near future, all RAF aircraftsmen were initially issued with one.

Julian

3 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

This raises something that has been nagging at me regarding this thread.

Surely all or virtually all of these RAF markings post-date WWI (1920s-40s) don't they? - given that the RAF came into being in April 1918 and even in a newly independent service desperate to carve out an identity,  marking bayonets (during wartime) must have been very low priority.

Chris

Yes, the main body of RAF markings all seem to belong to the 1920's, but as they are all on pre-1918 manufactured ex-army bayonets, still a legitimate topic for GWF! All will be revealed soon (we hope!)... We completed an article on the subject and submitted it to an academic journal just as COVID began to bite and so  publication has been delayed. No, we are not happy about that but cannot do anything about it... :angry2: As you - an academic yourself - will appreciate we don't want to reveal all until it appears...

Julian

Thank you trajan, JMB1943, and Chris For your answers.  What you folks mentioned was as I figgured.

new3.2

• 2 weeks later...

One just surfaced on WD Militaria, item no 29376….https://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php?ps=1&pg=1#prettyPhoto

R.A.F. 1B 7173. Sanderson, 10/15?. Plenty of wear and tear, with inspection stamps for 18 and 23.

interesting to see other pommel markings of A800 and 202. 

Best wishes all,

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled (what is the origin of that phrase?— peelers for the early Met. Police?) for these.

Yes, that A800 stamping on the tang & curve of the pommel is very unusual!

Also, the scabbard looks in better shape than the bayonet.

Regards,

JMB

7 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Dave,

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled (what is the origin of that phrase?— peelers for the early Met. Police?) for these.

Yes, that A800 stamping on the tang & curve of the pommel is very unusual!

Also, the scabbard looks in better shape than the bayonet.

Regards,

JMB

Yes, thanks Dave! And there was I on another thread complaining how new RAF marked bayonets had seemed to have stopped... Incidentally, 'keep your eyes peeled' began life in GB as 'keep your eyes skinned'... But then it got modified, as with 'prove the rule' becoming 'test the rule'...

Julian

RAF / 1.B. / 8757 has just appeared on a MOLE (11  '17) bayonet; re-inspected 1921.

The very first Mole / RAF that we have recorded.

Ludicrous price!!!

Regards,

JMB

6 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

RAF / 1.B. / 8757 has just appeared on a MOLE (11  '17) bayonet; re-inspected 1921.

The very first Mole / RAF that we have recorded.

Ludicrous price!!!

Regards,

JMB

I won't ask what it is... I guess the combination of MOLE and RAF had an influence there...

Julian

PS: Henry Y back at Armouries next week - will pursue matters with him on the RAF bayonets 

• 4 weeks later...

It rather depends on what you tell me that number is!

Regards,

JMB

The orignal listing pics are not great, that's why I posted the screenshots.

I see 1D definitely, over 5868 maybe?

Thanks, that’s how I see it as well, so it is a new number.

Regards,

JMB

Agree on the number - and its a WILKINSON / PALL MALL, so an 06 18 date(?)

Julian

• 1 month later...

Another new one has just surfaces, a Wilkinson 8-17, with one unreadable inspection stamp.

1E 2278

Nicely stamped R.A.F. Regiment on the grips.

https://www.jdrmilitaria.co.uk/product/1907-wilkinson-smle-bayonet-marked-raf-regiment-2/

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for finding another one, only the first in a month.

They do seem to have dried up these days.

I noticed your comment in the fighting knife/Battle of Asiago, about harder to find militaria these days.

Does it all get sent to auction, do you think?

Regards,

JMB

JMB,

Not sure if auction or just held in private collections, but most of the local places where those little bits used to be found just aren’t here anymore, not many dealers/antique shops left in these parts and nothing turning up in charity shops, the last flea I attended was full of expensive tat…..but the hunt always continues.

best wishes,

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

04E796E2-B934-4C32-8BF2-D6CE2CBDDD81.jpeg.673dc2145e3e356dbd8918506277fcd2.jpegB544370C-9538-41F4-839E-7E017286E90D.jpeg.d0b408f992a4e103206c9b7d5548d108.jpeg1DECA509-5EAA-4D32-8B83-3B2F904D7810.jpeg.fcb4ac138b90724f5b221d41644c9d70.jpegB62E5133-A158-4ADC-A334-9C54CC9A1BD1.jpeg.56681d86e09df03e3da7530d96d94eac.jpeg3CB78334-9A9A-41DC-9EB9-995E86744256.jpeg.85cb945ad39b8ccb1dd24001abc44270.jpegC318052B-C7F3-4D62-BA63-D292C0ECA89B.jpeg.530ab45278b3d1054fcecc8ab1f7f005.jpegHello to you all, Just arrived today and after a clean ( it was thick with red rust all over the metal parts)

Vickers 11 / 18

R A F

———

7 2 0 5

EF780ABD-C09E-416F-8530-E891124E849E.jpeg

Mr. Dee,

That certainly looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet!

Given the overall scarcity of the Vickers in the first place, that is a rather unusual piece.

I have not heard from the Emperor in some time, so don’t know the current status of the RAF bayonet paper..not even if it has been published yet.

Trajan is possibly in England on a research trip during the summer…..speaking of the summer, how hot is it in geordie land?

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

JMB

Hello my dear JMB,

not hot anymore up here , I do hope you all on the forum  are well and still picking  up the odd bits ?

as you say its seen some damp but I took a punt at auction and was lucky.

Skennerton ( With much appreciation to yourself) is regularly consulted. Though My focus has moved back a century or so from when it started.

350FB4A8-2221-4FB2-B694-5CB57D3950C3.jpeg

Mr Dee,

Must congratulate you on the cavalry sabre collection, very nice.

You do know that Napoleon was finally defeated?

Regards,

JMB

Indeed , by these very Sabres 

😁