Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Air Force marked bayonets

trajan

Mikey, many thanks for that one, duly recorded!

Soldier, You will have to be a little more specific! 

Regards,

JMB

On 18/02/2020 at 13:22, JMB1943 said:

Mikey, many thanks for that one, duly recorded!

Soldier, You will have to be a little more specific! 

Regards,

JMB

Hi,

From all the research of the RAF bayonets to date, how many are directly linked to the RAR?

Cheers

On 17/02/2020 at 16:32, Soldier28 said:

Hi JMB, Trajan

With the compiled RAF list to date you have, it looks like only one on there is tied to the Regiment while all others are general issue. Is that your understanding too ?

Regards Soldier28

Soldier,

Which is the one that is tied to the RAF Regiment?

Regards,

JMB

JMB will probably answer later (time difference here!) but off-hand, none of these RAF-marked ones are linked to the RAFRegiment. When the regiment was raised (1941?) they seem to have been equipped entirely with the No.4 Lee Enfield rifle, it is on their badge, and so they had those 'pig stickers' (a gereat show on these by Graham Priest on-line at: https://www.slideshare.net/tcattermole/the-pig-sticker-bayonets-for-lee-enfield-rifles ). The P.1907 ones we are interested in seem to have been held in stores by the RAF (JMB will correct me if necessary) post 1918 for 'future use if required' up to around 1939 or so, when - I suspect - they were commandeered by the army owing to a shortage of the No.4's and a bringing back intoarmy  service of the old reliable SMLE.  

Julian

Hi Julian,

Whilst the RAF marked 1907 bayonets are the focus of this post, I have seen at least one 1907 bayonet marked to the RAF Regiment so they must have had some SMLE's. It was not marked at all like the usual RAF ones though, it was stamped RAF Regiment horizontally (in line with the blade) in the middle of the wooden grips (on one side I think). I am fairly sure that it did not have the RAF marks on the pommel, though unfortunately I couldn't swear to it!

If your theory of the RAF releasing the bayonets to the army is correct, then presumably they were stored with accompanying SMLE's that were released as well.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for that information Tony! According to Air Council 75 (PRO) – 23 Mar 1937 - the Air Ministry was under pressure from the War Office to release all its rifles for Army use and ordered the withdrawal of all .303" rifles, other than those required for recruit training, competition shooting and ceremonial purposes. Seems like some of those retained for these purposes were later passed over to the RAFRegiment.

Julian

• 3 weeks later...

JMB 

Have just seen on a well known U.K. dealers website

A Wilkinson dated August 1917 marked:-

IC 9911

scabbard throat marked R.A.F.  (pommel also carries a Y146 stamp)

Think this may be a new one.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

MikeyH,

I did already have that one, but thanks again for trawling through the websites.

I'll update the table in post #139 at some point, like today!!!!!!!!

Regards,

JMB

Updated listing of RAF-marked P.07's .

1. A

1. B

1. C

1. D

1. E

1. F

A. L.

1.unk

Regards,

JMB

JMB,

Many thanks.

Mike.

JMB, you are a hero! Thanks for doing this! Various things have been landing on my plate the past few weeks, including a demand I finish a review of a French-language biography of Trajan... Don't know why they picked on me...:unsure:

This RAF-marked P.'07 is described as RAF / 1. C.

The number is given as "1175?", but what do the lads think?1904687648_RAF1C1xxx.jpg.0cda698fc3f4c0030d680d287d0764ae.jpg

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943

On 22/03/2020 at 05:24, JMB1943 said:

The number is given as "1175?", but what do the lads think?

I'd go with 5, espcially if that is what the owner / seller claims, but would otherwise allow for a 3, 6, or 8!

Julian

• 3 months later...

One just popped up on here that’s not on the list.

1A 4335.

its on quite a nice 5-18 Vickers.

https://www.brittonatwar.com/en-GB/all-available-items-as-listed/a-scarce-raf-vickers-made-07-pattern-bayonet/prod_11630#.XvJezS14WhA

Regards to all,

Dave.

Dave,

Yes thanks, a new-to-me example, 

Have you bought it yet ????

No, well you should....not too many Vickers.....just as a reward for surviving in these times.

Stay safe!!!

Regards,

JMB

15 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Dave,

Yes thanks, a new-to-me example, 

Have you bought it yet ????

No, well you should....not too many Vickers.....just as a reward for surviving in these times.

Stay safe!!!

Regards,

JMB

JMB,

I would love to add that one....but Unfortunately Mrs B has other plans for our somewhat dwindling funds!, I will play the long game, and once she is bored with buying our new grandchild  “stuff”, I will strike (May take a while though).

best wishes,

Dave.

Lovely indeed! Speaking as a new grandfather (to twins, one of each!) I fully understand the problems of juggling funds...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Lovely indeed! Speaking as a new grandfather (to twins, one of each!) I fully understand the problems of juggling funds...:thumbsup:

One of each, many congratulations, that will be a handful...Only seen little Jacob once during lockdown  but looking forward to having our first proper meeting!

I’m not missing buying any more pointy things to be honest, what is out there seems expensive to me and running out of space anyway.

Regards to all,

stay safe,

Dave.

4 hours ago, trajan said:

Congratulations and best wishes. Stay Safe.

Mike.

14 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Congratulations and best wishes. Stay Safe.

Mike.

Thanks but continually wondering when I will get to see them - I am in Turkey they are in the UK...:(

Back on topic though, these RAF-marked ones present an interesting variety of makers... JMB I owe you an email but any thoughts on whether the makers represented on RAF ones are proportionate to actual maker percentages? Probably won't tell us anything but who knows! The COVID figures for Florida look bad, so it will keep you on home territory if nowt else!

Julian   

Edited by trajan

Trajan,

Although I don’t have the exact numbers to hand, Bayonets by Sanderson & Wilkinson (the two largest makers) clearly predominate, with relatively few from the other makers.

Like you, I have a baby granddaughter who is many, many miles away, so we use Skype to keep in visual contact, and her parents post little videos of her being particularly cute—-not the same as being there and holding her, but still pretty good.

Stay safe, everybody!

Regards,

JMB

On 27/06/2020 at 15:59, JMB1943 said:

Although I don’t have the exact numbers to hand, Bayonets by Sanderson & Wilkinson (the two largest makers) clearly predominate, with relatively few from the other makers.

Like you, I have a baby granddaughter who is many, many miles away, so we use Skype to keep in visual contact, and her parents post little videos of her being particularly cute—-not the same as being there and holding her, but still pretty good.

Stay safe, everybody!

I guess what will be more informative is if the RAF received new ones, i.e., mainly 1918, or old stock.

Julian

PS: I am using What'sapp for contact with the grandkids, not satisfactory but better than nothing!

8 hours ago, trajan said:

I guess what will be more informative is if the RAF received new ones, i.e., mainly 1918, or old stock.

Julian

Julian,

A preponderance of the RAF bayonets are indeed of the later manufacture, but this is to be expected since the production increased massively as the war progressed.

This is just the period when EFD ceased manufacture, Mole made only a small number, and Vickers an even smaller number.

The largest numbers were made by.......SAND and WILK, with the latter producing about 17,000 / week in 1918.

So production by year can be represented by an inverted cone, and no surprise that overall SAND & WILK dominate in all categories.

Regards,

JMB

Enfield-made, Jan 1915, RAF-marked 1907 currently for sale in UK.  Stamped 1E (1F?) 4594.

Update: images added (with permission from Graham Currie Militaria).

EB6A819B-2E6A-4A33-90D0-979B688B5604.jpeg

51D14DC7-55E5-4AE2-913D-BFC54FBD4D96.jpeg

Edited by Nutting
Added photos

Nigel,

Thanks for those photos!

I had actually logged that one, but not all of the data was visible.

I sent an email to Graham Currie requesting more info, but received no reply.

Tend to agree with 1.E rather than 1.F.

Maker is probably EFD (or sanDERson???).

I would definitely like some input on the bayonet markings from all of the viewers of this thread.

Everybody, please keep coming with the sightings of these RAF bayonets.

Regards,

JMB