Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

DawleyJockey & Mandy, thanks very much for that information. It will help to plan my visit.

I'm hoping to make the trip down in September, and am really looking forward to it.

BTW...I've just noticed that they have already taken the money for the poppy I ordered from my account!

Andy

Looking at the various pictures it seems that the mound from which they read the Roll of Honour each night is on the west side of the Tower. Is that the case?

Thanks

Neil

Thanks Mandy

I went last night and, despite a heavy downpour just as I arrived, it was a good evening and the poppies look great.

Neil

In the dim and distant past I remember getting a trip from the Tower to Westminster pier, is this still running? I'd like to make the trip in the other direction then walk towards the ticket office, from the cobbled river side. .

I think the Thames Clipper service stops at the Tower Alan but you would need to check their website for other stopping points, times etc.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the photo Alan, I was wondering how it was coming on since, I visited in early August. Do they now go round the corner of The Tower, on the left side of your photo?

Mandy

Hi Mandy

The picture below is from Tower Bridge back towards the corner of the Tower. The poppies more or less surround the Tower completely. Between Develin Tower, the group entrance and Traitors Gate they are in a band of perhaps 15 or so deep.

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-78458500-1410511470_thumb.j

This could be wrong of course but if there is any truth in it.......................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754319/Just-Tower-poppy-cash-going-help-heroes-So-WILL-pocketing-rest.html

Added;

However I believe that the article is correct in stating that the poppies are subject to VAT. In that case and using the figure quoted in the Independent (8th August 2014) of 200,000 poppies being sold by early August, would lead to a nice little earner for the Government of £834,000 so far! And all this on the back of the remembrance of our WW1 war dead!.

I realize of course that VAT will be claimed back on the appropriate costs of production but even taking this into account there will be a substantial benefit to the government

Doesn't sound too horrible to me. Production and logistics will claim their part. Volunteers aren't "free" either (catering, organising) - especially on a project of this size.

It's a known fact, that only fractions of any charity donation reaches the target (for the very same reasons).

It is regrettable, and the organisers should of course take any possible measure to minimise expenses, but that's how it is and will be.

Hi Mandy

The picture below is from Tower Bridge back towards the corner of the Tower. The poppies more or less surround the Tower completely. Between Develin Tower, the group entrance and Traitors Gate they are in a band of perhaps 15 or so deep.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan for the photo and description. I hope to get back to The Tower before it finishes and they start taking them out.

Mandy

Doesn't sound too horrible to me. Production and logistics will claim their part. Volunteers aren't "free" either (catering, organising) - especially on a project of this size.

It's a known fact, that only fractions of any charity donation reaches the target (for the very same reasons).

It is regrettable, and the organisers should of course take any possible measure to minimise expenses, but that's how it is and will be.

Post 87 but what about the fact that the project is liable for VAT, do you really think that it is acceptable that the government should profit from a scheme the purpose of which is both to honour and remember the war dead? just consider that every purchaser or these poppies is making a donation to the government of almost £5 and for what!.

Norman

Post 87 but what about the fact that the project is liable for VAT, do you really think that it is acceptable that the government should profit from a scheme the purpose of which is both to honour and remember the war dead? just consider that every purchaser or these poppies is making a donation to the government of almost £5 and for what!.

Norman

I was happy to pay the VAT. Might sound odd, but the country has to run ... and we do pay for the CWGC, after all.

Norman

Firstly, I misunderstood your post slightly, my apologies. To answer your question, I'd certainly prefer the government did not. But if the project doesn't qualify exemption through existing legislation, then rules are rules.

Sent to Lord Faulkner, my MP and others, if nothing else it may confirm or disprove the known facts.

Norman

Ref: VAT on Commemorative Ceramic Poppies

You of course will be fully aware of the thousands of poppies on display at the Tower of London and also the fact the public can purchase these at £25 each plus postage if required. I believe that these poppies are subject to VAT both of course on the costs involved and the gross revenue collected. This being the case the VAT revenue from the sale of 200,000 poppies (The Independent see below) would result in an estimated £834,000 in VAT payable. From the article in the Daily Mail (See below) it can be estimated that costs equate to roughly half of the sale price therefore as a very rough estimate the Government will receive a windfall of £400,000 in respect of sales so far.

This payment will of course reduce the revenue available for distribution to the named charities which is already very low anyway. Can it be right that the Government is profiting from the remembrance and sacrifice of our war dead, common sense says no. Given that the Daily Mail article maybe only partly correct even then the sum available for distribution is still small enough anyway without the Government taking a cut. Perhaps you as Chairman of the Group will confirm what I believe to be true and whether the Government is prepared to address this frankly unfair situation.

Added:

Confirmation received that the the project is eligible for VAT

Based on the reported net revenue available for distribution each of the six charities will receive £1.46 for every poppy sold

In the dim and distant past I remember getting a trip from the Tower to Westminster pier, is this still running? I'd like to make the trip in the other direction then walk towards the ticket office, from the cobbled river side. .

Details and special offer here for the Thames river cruise:

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/london/gl-city-cruises-2-7/45313735?p=14&nlp=&utm_source=channel_occasions_merchandising-deals&utm_medium=email&sid=3c8bb833-6793-486e-8e1f-49d2c7dddf94&division=london&uh=c0afb6f6-1be0-4ba5-bc78-9d5c89dd2de9&date=20141609&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_button&d=deal-page

We used City Cruises to go from Westminster to the Tower and back (after a look around Tower Bridge ). We were going to stay on to Greenwich but the water was a bit choppy and I started to feel a little sickly :wacko: . Couldn't fault the service though.

Craig

Just for interest if 50% of the poppies are sold = £10,000.000 gross revenue less say 50% reclaimable costs then 20% net VAT payable on the balance this would give the Government a nice little earner of £1,000,000. Not bad for doing nothing and at a stroke denying the six charities a big chunk of revenue, as I say just worth considering and obviously based on the known facts available. What a magnanimous act it would be that in view of the large amounts involved the Government refunded the VAT paid directly to the six charities, now that would be a nice gesture in this commemoration year!

Norman

Well if my contribution goes a small way to paying off the national debt, then job done :thumbsup:

Your efforts to remove VAT are going to be well appreciated by the original investors.

Why not pay the money directly to the charity so they get it all and then pick up one of the poppies when they are sold on ebay for a pittance.