Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

I've put my name down to do a little poppy planting at the Tower. 4 hours shifts but a free t-shirt and gardening gloves provided. I rather hope I am selected to be part of this impressive act of Remembrance.

On Saturday, my elder daughter and I will be using my Gold Card and associated free weekend travel for friends and family (as if I don't spend enough time on the s*dd*ng train) to visit the IWM; Emily has also suggested we use my Oyster Card(s) and toddle along to the Tower.

All going well I will report back (with photos) on Saturday.

I think it's a splendid idea and can't wait to go.

Just purchased one of the poppies, should have it in time for the holiday at the end of the year. Delighted.

Alan - you did better then me. I tried to buy a poppy this afternoon but the online ordering was not working. They are going to phone me back so hopefully I will be able to get one but I suspect the demand is heavy. I think it looks great.

Neil

Got the wife to persist with the site and we bought 3 - she has her uses (thankfully she is not a member of this site!)

Chris

I registered an interest in buying a poppy last week and have received an email tonight saying they are experiencing high demand.

I am going this Thursday to see the poppies at the Tower. I am starting my day in St James Park to see the Michael St Maur Sheil photographic exhibition and then heading to the tower.

Mandy

Poppy ordered and paid for!

Just need to wait for November/December, by which I will have probably forgotten that I had purchased one :)

I just need to visit the Tower to see the installation and take my own photographs. Frustratingly, the trip up to Town will cost me more than the Poppy, in more ways than one, due to current health issues.....

Sepoy

• Admin

I'm hoping I can get to see this on my next visit; I share the general sense of wonder looking at the photographs.

Glen, sorry to slide this off topic a bit but I have an interest in the 2nd Scots Guards as I think at least two of my footballers served in the 2nd Battalion much later in the war. Is the disastrous action at Fromelles on the 18th December documented anywhere on the forum? I read your post and the question occured to me; was there ever an attack in the Fromelles area that wasn't disastrous? Happy to open up a new thread if you wish. I'm hoping to head over there soon and I'd like to understand as many of the actions in the area as I can so I can walk the battlefield.

Pete.

Pete

Start a new thread and we can take it from there but, yes, there was one attack at Fromelles which was disastrous - the 47th (London) Division in late 1918. :thumbsup:

Glen

Bought two poppys this morning and received emailconfirmation ... remebering Cpl Arthur Galtress rmLI and Private Charles William Greason Eaast Yorks

I visited the Tower yesterday afternoon. Very impressive and moving. I admit to not looking for it, but I didn't see any poster or information that explained the significance of the display. Inevitably the on-lookers were extremely cosmopolitan and I wonder if some appreciated the intention.

Moonraker

Just bought a poppy and received 5 email confirmations! I assume I will only be billed for one as the order numbers are the same on each confirmation (if not £155 phew!).

Anne

Just bought a poppy and received 5 email confirmations! I assume I will only be billed for one as the order numbers are the same on each confirmation (if not £155 phew!).

Anne

Give it a year or so and you'll make a killing on Ebay

Sue

I wish Sue!!! Has anyone other than myself had more than one confirmation?

Anne

Just ordered mine. One confirmation email only!

Roger

purchased one order number 138,000 plus ...brilliant it is in honour of Frank Burn, New Zealand machine gunner, killed 5/12/17 near the Menin Road and it is a gift for my grandaughter aged 4 1/2

I wish Sue!!! Has anyone other than myself had more than one confirmation?

Anne

No, but then we were Chapel.

Poppy ordered, by the way. In memory of all London Jocks.

I've just bought one, so seems to be working now.

Buy a Poppy

Sue

Thanks Sue for that link and because of your post I too have purchased a poppy.

Maxi

I visited last Wednesday, after spending the earlier part of the day at IWM.

post-91897-0-35050700-1407486164_thumb.j

Hello all,

I am an artist myself and have to say that I love this project at the tower.

So many new art projects miss the mark or get the general public complaining about the waste of money but this has got it just right. Respectful and visually stunning, with more importantly a metaphor that everyone can understand. In my opinion this is how art should be.

Rebecca

http://www,facebook.com/rebeccacother

http://www.rebeccacother.co.uk

I love the look of it and the daily tributes to the fallen etc - but I'm concerned at the meagre portion of the poppy price that is going to charity. £2.50 out of £25. Okay many might find a mass-produced ceramic poppy a bargain at £25 but I'm not convinced. Perhaps it is a fair price - if so, then surely few more quid could be added to up the amount for charity?