Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

It's a very labour intensive, hand-crafted process and hopefully the many workers involved will get a fair rate for their work. I doubt if many other single centenary projects will raise more than two million pounds for charities as this one surely will.

Making the poppies

Sue

Visited today. Looks superb. Attached photo shows some of the poppies and some of the (thousands of) people visiting. Obviously becoming a must-see spectacle.

post-6673-0-31018200-1407614234_thumb.jp

I visited Thursday, and this is an amazing sight. I will be back there Monday evening, my Great Uncle's name is being read out during the Last Post Ceremony. My thanks to Paul at work, who has agreed to swap shifts so I can go.

9b6769352629ce8bc3db99c5e8252b12_zps23cc

7dd4492e794f059d479e542491e4bc52_zpse052

A big thanks to everyone for all the great photos as this I a as close as I will get to seeing this breath taking sight. Are poppies still being added and how long will the display remain on view?

Ann

Love the way this is coming on. Please keep the photos coming - I remember another killed each time I see a new photo.

Chris

Are poppies still being added ?

Ann

3.00 p.m. yesterday

post-6673-0-78073800-1407652469_thumb.jp

Ann

As I understand it the last poppy will be put in place on 11 November but I believe the bulk will be in place by mid October. I cannot see anywhere that details the number put in place so far but there are still 1000's to be added.

Neil

Crowded out yesterday pm. Many Americans with interesting views about the purpose of the 'flowers', but well worth the trip on the old *****'bus pass. I intend to again in the v. early morning. Now to order a poppy6.

post-79295-0-51352300-1407676457_thumb.j

Went on Thursday. Many people around me seemed to be waiting for a relative's name. I thought it was all very well done, a credit to everyone involved. Hopefully going to hear my great great uncle's name read out on Monday.

Great article about the project and the symbolism behind it in this Saturdays Telegraph.

The coup de theatre is that when complete on 11th Nov, when seen from above, the whole display around the moat forms a giant poppy with the black roof of the tower as its centre.

Regards

Ian

I was in London at the weekend and after visiting the IWM went down to the Tower and it is an amazing tribute also there later on to hear the roll call of the fallen and the Last Post quite an emotional day for my better half who shed a tear or two looking at the poppies and hearing the names read out.

If anyone gets a chance it is well worth a visit, also my wife is ordering me a poppy..... she's a good un

This is just breathtaking. Wish I could be there. Anyone know how long it will remain for public viewing?

I was there last night to hear my great uncles name called out. The roll call starts at sunset, last night it started at 20.40, but it will gradually move forward over time as the days get shorter. Very simple and moving idea. It brought a tear to my eye when they got to Harry's name. The Last Post was played at the end.

Anyone can submitt a name 180 are called out every night.

https://poppies.hrp.org.uk

Mandy

Thanks Mandy...another question though - where does this ceremony take place in terms of the Tower & surrounds?

This is just breathtaking. Wish I could be there. Anyone know how long it will remain for public viewing?

11/11/14 as far as I am aware, so only there until this November.

Please keep the photos coming - a record of daily increases gives a really special impression of the progress of sacrifice.

Thanks,

Chris

It takes place in the moat. There is a little mound amongst the poppies and a yeoman warder stands on the top and reads the roll call.

In post 65, in fev's photo you can see a path in the poppies, this leads to the mound.

The whole thing, lasted about 20 minutes.

I did record the event on my camera, but my laptop is saying there is not enough space left to transfer it.

Edited by mandy hall

Thanks Mandy

My great-uncle's name is one of those being read out on Monday so I am hoping to be there if at all possible.

Neil

Dawleyjockey, what time was the Last Post played?

The names were read out at 9:00pm (21:00) followed by the Last post when I was there

Looking at the picture a thought occured to me - how do they cut the grass under the poppies?