Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Aren't you making this too easy???

Top of my head I'd say Miss Rose Coombs ... 

M.

Hi M

Thats a big No it is not her,mind you I can see the similarity😁

Would have been too easy, right??? 

M.

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Aren't you making this too easy???

Top of my head I'd say Miss Rose Coombs ... 

M.

You're not on your own Marilyne; Rose was my first thought too. 

Mary McMillan?

Good morning 

I afraid neither of the latest two entries are the person I’m looking for.

She is Opha May Johnson.

EDIT: I came across her some time ago while posting about Ginger Rogers’ mother, who as you will remember was, during the First war, a sergeant in the US Marine Corps.

Edited by Uncle George

Have we had this chap yet ? ? ? He was dismissed from his command in 1914. However, “... it should be added in mitigation that collision between ships was not that uncommon ... “ 
2F899C85-B10D-475D-99B4-C5D893719C14.jpeg.c7c9f385bf4bcacfc39f76f5ec305734.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

She is Opha May Johnson.

and what makes this lady so special??? 

Opha May Johnson. first woman to enlist in the United States Marine Corps as part of the United States Marine Corps Women's Reserve. 

Thanks. 

I can only guess the new gentlemen had the misfortune of causing a collision between his ship and another ... there's a couple of mishaps in 1914... HMS Hawke (but the captain had a beard not sported by this gentleman) and the Empress of India. 

But I have to research some C2 system resilience for the Land Paper right now.. so I'll leave the honors to somebody else. 

M. 

26 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

But I have to research some C2 system resilience for the Land Paper right now.. 

We’ve all been there.

Look at that, go out for the afternoon and UG identifies and nf fills in the details👍

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Look at that, go out for the afternoon and UG identifies and nf fills in the details👍

I thought I was solving it actually😁 as I hadn't seen the good Uncle's post, but well done to him for beating me by a lap or two, or more accurately, a country mile. 

My chap achieved the rare, Carswellian feat of, as a popular sitting MP, resigning from one party to fight and win the seat for another.

As usual I haven't a clue on this one but confessing that allows me to wish Knotty happy birthday. Enjoy every minute of it John.

Pete.

Still have no idea who Uncle George's chap is but thought I's step by and say I finished that Land Ops Paper (managing the English babbling of a wallonian, a moroccan and a german colleague) and it seems I'm right on time to wish Knotty a Happy Birthday. 

M.

More, then, on our incompetent commander: he was first elected to Parliament, riding an anti-Coalition wave, as an Asquithian Liberal in 1919. I say “incompetent”; he is described in a 2009 study of the First War Naval staff as an officer “who was neither easy to work with nor necessarily very competent ... “.

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

who was neither easy to work with nor necessarily very competent

that then leads to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kenworthy,_10th_Baron_Strabolgi#:~:text="That Kenworthy stayed [at the,with nor necessarily very competent.

Joseph Montague Kenworthy? The clues seem to fit.

Yes, Joseph Kenworthy, Lord Strabolgi. He became a Labour MP in 1926. You will have seen in Wikipedia Nicholas Black’s assessment of him in ‘The British Naval Staff in the First World War’ (2009):

“That Kenworthy stayed [at the Naval Staff] for only five months was probably the result of factors beyond the need to employ invalid staff. A reading of his service record and his memoirs suggest that he was a man who was neither easy to work with nor necessarily very competent. His memoirs are particularly unreliable. Of the 244 executive officers for whom it has been possible to find their Sub-Lieutenant examination results, twenty-three failed an exam (9 per cent), and Kenworthy was one of these. From his service record it is possible to see that: in 1907 he was refused permission to qualify for a navigation course; in 1911 he failed the signals course for command of a Torpedo boat; in 1912 HMS Bullfinch, of which he was in command, struck HMS Leopard, and Kenworthy was 'cautioned to be more careful'; in 1914 he was sacked from HMS Bullfinch 'on account of unsatisfactory conduct'. The Admiral Commanding Orkneys and Shetlands concluded that Kenworthy was 'not a fit person to be in command of a destroyer'. (ADM 196/50, p. 286.) It should be added in mitigation that collision between ships was not that uncommon. In any case, it is not any of these events that is telling, but the combination. Kenworthy's memoirs make no reference to his departure from HMS Bullfinch. (Kenworthy, Sailors) He merely wrote that when he left the ship the crew cheered. His entry in The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography has also failed to address these inconsistencies... “

He was a popular MP, though.

We’ve not had a WAIWA for some time. So, who is being described here ? ? ?

”A man whose soul is pure and strong, whose sword is bright and keen,

Who knows the splendour of the fight and what its issues mean,

Who never makes one step aside, nor halts though hope be dim,

But cleaves a pathway through the strife, and bids men follow him.”

He is not Sir Cameron Shute.