Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

37 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

What makes him notable stands on a famous corner......

Speakers Corner?

2 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Speakers Corner?

Nice try. At this particular corner one of the speakers was a M. F. Foch on 23rd July 1923.

Pete.

P.S. Speakers Corner is a) one for the apostrophe police and b) not quite as famous a corner as springisjustaroundthe.

Hellfire?

Dud?

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Vancouver Corner?

Spot on mon oncle. Which makes our Canadian gentleman.......

Just now, Fattyowls said:

The memorial at Saint Julien was unveiled on 8 July 1923 by Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught and the tribute was made by French Marshal Ferdinand Foch, former Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers on the Western Front. In his address, Foch stated;

"The Canadians paid heavily for their sacrifice and the corner of earth on which this Memorial of gratitude and piety rises has been bathed in their blood. They wrote here the first page in that Book of Glory which is the history of their participation in the war."

After their completion in the mid-1920s, the sites became links in a chain of memorials that included 900+ Commonwealth cemeteries, making a road of remembrance or via dolorosa.[1]

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

That’s what I cannot get. Was he in some way an inspiration for the Brooding Soldier?

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

That’s what I cannot get. Was he in some way an inspiration for the Brooding Soldier?

or the designer, Frederick Chapman Clemesha

I was well off.  I thought it might be Robert W Service,  the poet.  (Or his brother Albert (who was killed serving with the 52nd Canadian Infantry. )

As for corners,  I was more Tattenham or Lyons.

Edited by Gunner Hall

Well played Jonbem. 👍

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Well played Jonbem. 👍

Ta V M

Not like me to get one right. :blink:

Excellent work all round gang. Jon gets the plaudits and you've identified the man, the place and the source of the photograph. My work here is done.....

Although Clemesha's Brooding Soldier at Vancouver Corner came second to Allward's Vimy Ridge memorial it has far more power in my eyes. That is not to denigrate the latter, it is a favourite place of mine and I admire the design, it's just that the Brooding Soldier has an otherworldly quality which I find hard to put into words. Interesting that the architect of it was plain Fred Clemshaw when he left Preston....

Pete.

Just now, Fattyowls said:

Excellent work all round gang. Jon gets the plaudits and you've identified the man, the place and the source of the photograph. My work here is done.....

Although Clemesha's Brooding Soldier at Vancouver Corner came second to Allward's Vimy Ridge memorial it has far more power in my eyes. That is not to denigrate the latter, it is a favourite place of mine and I admire the design, it's just that the Brooding Soldier has an otherworldly quality which I find hard to put into words. Interesting that the architect of it was plain Fred Clemshaw when he left Preston....

Pete.

Excellent find Pete 👍

Try this one then. One of several.... apologies for quality of picture

image.png.af9ba707d9d4bdcaf4df808751b31fb3.png

18 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

As for corners,  I was more Tattenham

A favourite of mine from childhood visits. Just as a completely tangental aside I can't think of any other corners on racecourses, but not being a turf fancier I could be wrong. The Grand National course at Aintree has a genuine corner but it is called the Canal Turn. One for @johnboypossibly.

Pete.

55 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Gut feeling. Miner?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Gut feeling. Miner?

No. His brother also took part.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

... Interesting that the architect of it was plain Fred Clemshaw when he left Preston....

One thinks of the great Kirk St. Moritz (Eric Morris as was).

Nice catch, @jonbem

Another book to check out. 

have a very bad connection right now and can't download or see pictures right now, so i'll try to have a go at it his evening after (the very boring and completely useless) class. 

M.

17 hours ago, jonbem said:

to bump this along

he was with his brother (and others)

he was from Darlington

his trade was given as a share broker’s clerk

Herbert George Law, younger brother of William, both belonged to the group known as the Richmond 16, conscientious objectors held at Richmond Castle, who were sent to France, and in May 1916 were sentenced by the Army to be shot for refusing to carry out an order. This was commuted to 10 years hard labour.