Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Please forget my ignorance, but what is a WAIWA ??? 

M. 

Just now, Marilyne said:

Please forget my ignorance, but what is a WAIWA ??? 

M. 

Whom Am I Writing About.

WAIWA was first coined on this Thread, as I recall, by Daniel. Perhaps the pedant would insist upon, ‘About whom am I writing?’ Or is this the kind of pedantry up with which we should not put.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

WAIWA was first coined on this Thread, as I recall, by Daniel. Perhaps the pedant would insist upon, ‘About whom am I writing?’ Or is this the kind of pedantry up with which we should not put.

I rather expected to see a question mark at the end of that sentence old boy.🙄

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I rather expected to see a question mark at the end of that sentence old boy.🙄

Yes I spotted that after posting and was about to edit the mistake. But then I looked it up:

“In formal writing, even rhetorical questions must always end with a question mark, so says Fowler and probably most other style guides. In informal writing, and perhaps with certain short questions that have become fixed expressions, a full stop could be used instead. I believe you will often find how do you do and what's up written with full stops.”

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/35806/when-is-it-appropriate-to-end-a-question-without-a-question-mark

Yes I spotted that after posting and was about to edit the mistake. But then I looked it up:

“In formal writing, even rhetorical questions must always end with a question mark, so says Fowler and probably most other style guides. In informal writing, and perhaps with certain short questions that have become fixed expressions, a full stop could be used instead. I believe you will often find how do you do and what's up written with full stops.”

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/35806/when-is-it-appropriate-to-end-a-question-without-a-question-mark

I stand corrected 😂

Every day's a skool day on this thread....

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I stand corrected 😂

Every day's a skool day on this thread....

Any guesses for the AWAIW? Clue: He is not Foch.

Just now, Uncle George said:

Perhaps I should’ve written: ‘Any guesses for the AWAIW? ?’

Just now, Uncle George said:

Other than performing a google search of the text, which of course would be unthinkable, I really haven't a clue.

Apart from the one you just gave us of course.

Perhaps I should’ve written: ‘Any guesses for the AWAIW? ?’

😂😂

ach soooooo .... must have missed that definition somewhere.

but still have no clue who we're talking about... I'm afraid I've become a bit rusted. 

M. 

Getting all tangental and taking the mention of that s**t Shute as a clue could it be describing Bernard Freyberg, what with the Ancre valley and all? Or not as the case may be.

Pete.

11 hours ago, Uncle George said:

GWF= Grammar Whingers Forum???? :wub:

Hopefully, Uncle George understood that my lighthearted jest was an ironic reference to him mentioning pedantry.

GWF= Grammar Whingers Forum?

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

More, then, on our beau-sabreur. I read recently that he was “a personality of Napoleonic charisma; he exited primitive emotions, either of fear or of hope.”

He is not Freyberg.

Well done NF, btw,  for spotting Lord S.  I looked at him, but the only photos I could find were of him shipping much more timber.  That and I couldn't find any reference of him bending one of His Majesties Ships.  As for the current AWiWA , WAIWA whatever,  No clue. 

22 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Here's a very long shot .... Winston Churchill? 

Long shots sometimes hit the target. This one did not; however you are very close.

Thanks ... so who was close to Churchill (if I'm reading this as a clue)? How about the Welsh Wizard himself, David Lloyd George?  

34 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Thanks ... so who was close to Churchill (if I'm reading this as a clue)? How about the Welsh Wizard himself, David Lloyd George?  

Yes - the “man whose soul is pure and strong” is none other than Lloyd George. The poem is entitled ‘D.L.G’ and appeared in the first issue of the ‘Lloyd George Liberal Magazine’. The ‘Lloyd George Liberal Magazine’ was “the only periodical in recent British politics openly dedicated to a cult of personality - a journal packed with portraits and panegyrics of the leader”. 

Thank heavens we don’t do that anymore. Oh, wait:

https://institute.global/

The poem and all quotes are from John Campbell’s ‘The Goat in the Wilderness’ (1977).

Lloyd George- the well-known Manc?

He was born in Manchester and often accused of lying by saying he was Welsh. He assured his listeners that although born in Manchester, he was without doubt conceived in Wales.

He was born in Manchester and often accused of lying by saying he was Welsh.

Lloyd George no doubt, when his life ebbs out,

Will ride on a flaming chariot,

Seated in state on a red-hot plate

’Twixt Satan and Judas Iscariot.

Ananias that day to the Devil will say,

’My claim for precedence fails.

So move me up higher, away from the fire,

And make way for that liar - from Wales!’

whether he was City or United

Hull or Scunthorpe?

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Yes - the “man whose soul is pure and strong” is none other than Lloyd George. The poem is entitled ‘D.L.G’ and appeared in the first issue of the ‘Lloyd George Liberal Magazine’. The ‘Lloyd George Liberal Magazine’ was “the only periodical in recent British politics openly dedicated to a cult of personality - a journal packed with portraits and panegyrics of the leader”. 

Thank heavens we don’t do that anymore. Oh, wait:

https://institute.global/

The poem and all quotes are from John Campbell’s ‘The Goat in the Wilderness’ (1977).

Thanks very much!

If it's my turn to offer a question, who's citation for the Victoria Cross reads:

"For most conspicuous bravery, initiative and devotion to duty on the night of 7th – 8th October 1918, during the attack on Villers Outreaux, when, observing that his company was suffering heavy casualties from an enemy machine gun, he ordered a Lewis Gun to engage it, and went forward, under heavy fire, to the flank of the enemy post which he rushed single handed, capturing fifteen of the enemy. These prisoners, realising that Williams was alone, turned on him and one of them gripped his rifle. He succeeded in breaking away and bayonetting five enemy, whereupon the remainder again surrendered. By this gallant action and total disregard of personal danger, he was the means of enabling not only his own company but also those on the flanks to advance."

I hope that you will accept it as a WWTSA (Who was this said about)?

Edited by The Scorer