Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I like a chaaenge. I reckoned there must have been 18 million women who would be around the age of this wit, in the U.S of A. Around 1917. 

I'm confused now. Are we looking for a doughboy in drag?

Edited by Gunner Hall

19 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'm confused now. Are we looking for a doughboy in drag?

No sir, just pointing out the enormity of the task checking out women, and using doughboy count as a figure😁.

It may help if you ( or anyone else) search in the U.K. 

No 😁

Sorry MrV I was a bit abrupt with my reply,I should of said, nothing to do with the US administration.

Edited by Knotty

Hi UG

No not Lenah, although a very similar forename. She has no direct military connection.

I think it's Lena Horne,  deed I do,:hypocrite:

By George,  Uncle G,  that's inspired. 

Well done UG you have her👍

Her collaboration was with Ivor Novello, she penned the words and he wrote the music to “Keep the Home Fires Burning” in 1915.

Her first is unfortunately a sad statistic, she ,along with her son, were the first US citizen killed in a bombing raid on London, which took place on 7/8 March 1918 by the Giant Zeppelin Staaken bombers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lena_Guilbert_Ford

Here we go,  

Promoted by one king, 
                        sacked by another…. 
                        but trusted with his brothers crown jewels.

image.png.1f14085321ff951280401f47203078ab.png

Edited by Gunner Hall

Is he George Callaghan, shown here as a Captain but as an Admiral relieved of the command of the Grand Fleet, “the Crown Jewels”, in 1914?

No, not him. Became an admiral though. He was regarded as a 'lucky' commander. Present at Heligoland  bight, Dogger  Bank and Jutland. 

Another clue.  Was open to a charge of being  "improperly dressed" during the actions off Heligoland and Dogger Bank.

51 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Was open to a charge of being  "improperly dressed" during the actions off Heligoland and Dogger Bank.

Isn’t he Admiral Halsey, captain of HMS New Zealand, and wore native Maori costume during actions?

Knotty has the feller.   Legend has it that the Maori chef who presented a "piupiu" a type of kilt to Captain Halsey when the New Zealand made her first visit to the country.  Asked Halsey to wear the garment in action  with the prediction that the ship would have three battles, be hit once and suffer no casualties.  

He wore it in the first two actions. but was posted to Iron Duke for the Jutland battle,  (as Jellicos Fleet Captain) -  His successor (Captain John F. E. Green)  wore it at Jutland. 

As for the other clue,  He prospered under George 5th,  but was made equerry to Edward 8.  He made his objections to Mrs Simpson all too clear and was sacked.  He was made Keeper of the jewel house for George 6th coronation.  

The garment is currently held at the museum of the new Zealand Navy . https://navymuseum.co.nz/explore/by-collections/ship-items/piupiu/

'

Your other Admiral would have featured as a clue - if it lasted long enough.

Thats a relief- I even got the wrong Halsey as well

image.png.c5fcea151488faa511699111d8e90d64.png