Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'm still chuckling over the clue in your original post John. I do know who she is now but will let it run a little longer in case anyone else takes the hint.

I don't think I would be giving too much away by saying that her middle name sounds like someone who used to frequent the cobbled streets in his lorry plying his trade when I was a lad. 

Trust you to cut the mustard Steve!

Clue= A civilian under Pershing’s command technically.

Edited by Knotty

Could this be Gertrude Stein?  

Hi UG

No not Helen Fairchild.

She pioneered a practice which although has a different procedure it is  commonplace nowadays.

I must have walked past that statue thousands of times; I must check out its new location when I feel ready to venture out. I hadn't a clue about the lady but I'm fascinated now.

Pete.

Thank goodness. Got there in the end..👍

You have him Mr V, Anna Coleman Ladd it is, a sculptress who adapted to using plastics to restore the horrific facial injuries she saw. As I alluded to she probably saved many from death by their own hands.

A potted history of the remarkable lady here :-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Coleman_Ladd, and I’m sure there is more out there on the interweb.

(Thanks nf for keeping schtum👍)

Edited by Knotty

Alas, No.

This should hurry this along a bit:

Our man with a politician  (and, No ,it's not Woy Jenkins)

And just to clarify matters from the first clue................  He was the last of the first but not the last of the last.  Hope that makes things clear.

image.png.35c5048138288eb0723b30fb6bde9a84.png

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Alec Campbell? (Seen in your photograph with that acquired taste John Howard.)

No- but you are getting warmer-so let's point you in the right direction. Alec Campbell was the last of the last ---  Our man was the last of the first.  

Clue-Alec Campbell only arrived on Gallipoli in November 1915.

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ted Matthews the last Gallipoli landings survivor?

Well done Knotty-  Ted Matthews (1896-1997)  it is- the last of the original Anzacs who landed at Anzac Cove, Gallipoli on 25th April 1915.   Here he is  at the time:

image.png.8d62b88e130ef88d11d830a851fd6936.png

and a bit about him:

Albert Edward Matthews (Ted) was born on the 11th of November 1896. On 29th September 1914, seven weeks after war was declared Ted signed up to fight, innocently believing that the war would be “fun”. Ted joined a signals division and sailed from his homeland on 22 December, landing at Gallipoli on 25th April, 1915.

His was a baptism of fire – struck in the chest by shrapnel on his first day on that fateful beach, surviving only because the projectile met a thick notebook in his breast pocket. “The AIF was the best infantry in the world. Mind you, we had to keep our heads down too.” Ted was one of the last soldiers evacuated from Gallipoli, under cover of darkness, on the 19th December 1915.

(Taken from Australia's RSL website about Ted Matthews, with Thanks)

...and an excuse to  post this justly famous pic as well:

image.png.c73e6d60297eb6f874653eb6b49a2e25.png

Let's have a go at another chap on the same theme:

image.png.4cee40c3a22c026a7b75799afe4466f4.png

Our man shared an obvious connection with this fellow:

image.png.71fc68e218d980f3a8b87cb955771144.png

and a second clue:

Our man was associated  with this:  

image.png.825879565dca2b72c8f292d0065b50da.png

No-not Sir Len.  You have correctly worked out that "Savoy" is involved but,alas, not the one in Cairo. I presume your extensive knowledge of cabbages is acquired from watching what goes on at Home Park?  :D

Another elliptic clue then-

image.png.4a1cbad246b6fe6f60113039e6fb444b.png

As he might have said, our man was "Down Your Way"

Aubrey Herbert?