Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I've done all the French aces with more than 20 victories and all the Belgian ones and I'm still none the wiser. Better educated but still not possessed of a higher wisdom quotient than before......

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I've done all the French aces with more than 20 victories and all the Belgian ones and I'm still none the wiser. Better educated but still not possessed of a higher wisdom quotient than before......

Pete.

You're looking on the wrong side Pete. 

He was in fact his country's top ace. There, that's surely given him away. If not; the 13 martyrs were all Generals.

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

You're looking on the wrong side Pete. 

I was fooled by the chapeau......

The race is on....Top ace from one of the countries on the naughty side. 

Edited by neverforget

33 minutes ago, neverforget said:

on the naughty side

I took one look at that phrase and knew it wouldn't end well.

It rarely does for me Pete, and tonight was no exception 😭😭

I think we have to embrace the fact that Mr.V. has him.

Jozsef Kiss, Hungary's top ace.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/József_Kiss

20201229_231756.jpg.87aaba4b43dc2aed5db95219bd18f33c.jpg

On the aviation theme, I will present this as the first of this new year.

As a slight change, I have included him in his distinctive aircraft markings.

7661CFEB-CBD1-46F2-9CBF-0562A92C4F48.jpeg

Mr K, is that aircraft a postwar fighter? Happy New Year to you and all our readers by the way.

Pete.

Happy New Year Pete

No it was the last version flown in anger, in this case bedecked in his paint design.

John

Got him, I will give his bio my full attention a bit later, but in the interim I won't divulge just in case the other inmates are feeling a bit delicate after fully legal in house celebrations last evening and get the hump as a result, or as they used say in these parts get a cob on.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, now that you lot have finished your mark-down Christmas tree  pizzas from Asda, then how about this chap: I suspect he has been up before, so no clues to start with-  Et Bonne Annee a Tous

image.png.d9288dea32e380522ab714e00e742776.png

This thread has been inordinately quiet of late. Has anyone positively identified Knotty's last chap yet?

Not yet Steve, although both you and Pete have all but named him.

Put us out of our misery.

And a happy New year to you Mr V

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Not yet Steve, although both you and Pete have all but named him.

Put us out of our misery.

And a happy New year to you Mr V

Ok I will, but it's a shame as he was a really good candidate and I found him by googling Sopwith Camel, so felt like it wasn't quite a fair cop. I think Pete and I were hoping someone else would come along and have a go but the thread just seemed to die a death.

Anyway, reluctantly, and so that we can move on Mr.V's chap. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Cobby

46 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Anyway, reluctantly, and so that we can move on Mr.V's chap. 

Apologies chaps-I thought the previous one had finished.  7 Days Confined to Barracks for me then. Oh,hang on, with the COVID restrictions that's  what I get anyway..... :wub:

Oh alright, have a clue if you must...........    His first bout of active service ended in Newcastle.  Watching "Get Carter" will not help you.

Apologies chaps-I thought the previous one had finished.  7 Days Confined to Barracks for me then. Oh,hang on, with the COVID restrictions that's  what I get anyway..... :wub:

Oh alright, have a clue if you must...........    His first bout of active service ended in Newcastle.  Watching "Get Carter" will not help you.

Hmmm... 

With around 100 Newcastles dotted around the globe, and with the Get Carter clue, I'm not thinking Newcastle upon Tyne somehow. 

My gut feeling is that he may have ended his war as a P.O.W. Then again, my gut feelings rarely do me any favours.

17 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hmmm... 

With around 100 Newcastles dotted around the globe, and with the Get Carter clue, I'm not thinking Newcastle upon Tyne somehow. 

My gut feeling is that he may have ended his war as a P.O.W. Then again, my gut feelings rarely do me any favours.

Correct about A.N.Other Newcastle....   Not a POW.

Another clue....

image.png.371df07eecc21b6907d9b867fbd0766e.png

Is it Norman Collins; Last man standing?

Well done NF-  Identify the film and,yes, he comes up quite easily on Mr Google's Apparatus- Last Oz Boer War veteran-died 1988.  Served S. Africa-QSA and KSA-ended up having seen no action but at Newcastle,Natal. Allegedly knew Breaker Morant. Served with the Light Horse in the Middle East in the Great War-Had to be restrained from volunteering for WW2.

There is a fascinating little tape about him on You Tube- made in 1988 just before he died.

Well done NF-  Identify the film and,yes, he comes up quite easily on Mr Google's Apparatus- Last Oz Boer War veteran-died 1988.  Served S. Africa-QSA and KSA-ended up having seen no action but at Newcastle,Natal. Allegedly knew Breaker Morant. Served with the Light Horse in the Middle East in the Great War-Had to be restrained from volunteering for WW2.

There is a fascinating little tape about him on You Tube- made in 1988 just before he died.

Any chance you could post a link to that please?

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Any chance you could post a link to that please?

Certainly-  Fantastic piece of work done for Anzac Day 1988- he died shortly after.  Link won't copy- Just zap the title,or some of it. 

Many thanks.