Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'm sure we've had him before on WiT? but frankly I'm too indolent to check. If I was a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed, but I don't do contrition.......

29 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

for one of the two Reading fans among the inmates

I do believe we have had him before so I will draw a line under this one.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I do believe we have had him before so I will draw a line under this one.

Your reticence does you credit Mr K. I should be inspired but I'm not. I don't think I've seen this particular picture before but as with not moving the pocket money into gold in January  I could be very much mistaken.

OK, a clue. He's French. No, don't thank me, generosity is my middle name......

Pete.

P.S. A more oblique clue is George Formby (junior).

Monsieur Maginot?

Mais oui Monsieur; I'd not seen a photo of the wounded sergeant before. He received his wounds at Verdun in late 1914 and gave his name to the line of defences which were inspired by the forts there. He died in I think 1932 so didn't live to see them be rendered redundant eight years later. The big hit of the early spring of 1940 was George Formby singing about sitting on a mine in the Maginot line.

Turned out nice again,

Pete.

It was the boy Formby that gave it away Pete.😊

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Monsieur Maginot?

Damn, you beat me to it... recognized the pic immediately... but I only just put the computer on... 

I could curse... but silently... sparing my voice for tonight's concert... 

M. 

30 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Damn, you beat me to it... recognized the pic immediately... but I only just put the computer on... 

I could curse... but silently... sparing my voice for tonight's concert... 

M. 

Ah I didn't recognise the picture at all, but when I thought about George Formby the Maginot line came to mind, and after looking for a picture of him he looked very plausible. That said WW1 Frenchmen and over sized taches weren't exactly a rare thing.

Go for it tonight. Detected a bit of nervousness in the voice on the last clip, so do whatever it takes to get rid of that before the show. Try not to think of the millions who will be watching 😉

So we ended up pitting Marilyne's knowledge of prominent mustachioed military Frenchmen against a long held recollection of a man with a ukulele doing tonic for the troops performances during the Phoney war. Mr P by a short head........

This is a man who suffered badly from injury and illness during WW1, but quite unusually......

image.png.beb742e23c4cfcefaa47cafcf5c33881.png

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

against a long held recollection of a man with a ukulele doing tonic for the troops performances during the Phoney war.

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the ukelele............ but doesn't"

18 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the ukelele............ but doesn't"

I have friends who play in a local ukelele band. Their version of Led Zeppelin's 'Rock and Roll' is the stuff of legend I'll have you know........

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I have friends who play in a local ukelele band. Their version of Led Zeppelin's 'Rock and Roll' is the stuff of legend I'll have you know........

You just knew it was coming Pete...

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

image.png.e7f024c5ca5dfd31d627c46fe53af09f.png

As he says in Apocalypse Now:.......   the horror, the horror...

Aside from the discussion of the Marmite nature of the ukelele the instrument is connected to my man, and his name has been mentioned too......

Pete.

Hi Pete

Busy day today, am I to late to join in?

You’ve already mentioned him as you said and referenced the ukulele, he appears to old to be “Cleaning Windows” George Formby, but not his father George Formby Snr born James Lawler Booth.

Wiki says he caught the flu in 1918, have a read here
https://en.wikipedia.org/?curid=7576955 

ps. You didn’t pick up my cryptic answer to your last WIT,  “I do believe we have had him before so I will draw a line under this one”  so I gave myself a gold star 😁

11 hours ago, Knotty said:

James Lawler Booth

Very good Mr K. I'd never heard of him despite being able to hum the tune and sing the chorus for some of his son's ukulele accompanied songs, despite not having heard them for decades. I'm also intrigued as to how he came up with the stage name, as the village of Formby is but a hop, skip and a jump from Owls Towers. The back story to his father is remarkable, with a childhood that sounds Dickensian, except that Dickens would probably have rejected the story as too grim even for him. I was also struck by the claim that one of his gormless Lancastrian stage characters directly influenced Charlie Chaplin when Formby senior appeared alongside Fred Karno's revue. George senior was also unlucky after trying to join up, suffering illness and injury on stage that some of the men who served in trenches would have avoided.

Had you not correctly identified him I was going to use Vesta Tilley as a clue as George also became involved in recruiting. I have to admit to completely missing your Maginot clue, despite doing a double take at your choice of words. Droll or maybe drôle in this context.......

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is this???

20201229_161429.jpg.509207298771116ae9d8aff6b70a1207.jpg

He was the grandson of a martyr.

20201229_171801.jpg.1505198469b15cf4c681b663ebc7ba06.jpg

The bird is an Albatross, so its either something to do with German aircraft aviators or Churchill’s nemesis Gallipoli, am I getting close? or shall I give up now

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

The bird is an Albatross, so its either something to do with German aircraft aviators or Churchill’s nemesis Gallipoli, am I getting close? or shall I give up now

The albatross is indeed the relevant aircraft.

His grandfather was a general.

He was well thought of by his foes, who performed a fly-over at his funeral out of respect for him, and dropped a heartfelt message down.

He preferred to force down his opponents if he could rather than shoot them down. 

His girlfriend visited his grave every day for more than 50 years, and never married anyone else.

20201229_171310.jpg.44fb8e2121a0ba8be9f8fbb6d2612743.jpg

He was one of the top aces.

His grandfather was one of thirteen martyrs all killed at the same time.

Edited by neverforget