Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I did much the same with the cool customer clue and now know much more than I did about the pioneers of refrigeration. It remains to be seen if this will useful in the future. I have thought about a new fridge/freezer but I can't think it will assist in the purchasing process.......

Pete.

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I have thought about a new fridge/freezer but I can't think it will assist in the purchasing process.......

Science used in Curry’s/PC World, if I spell oxymoron correctly thats the definition🤣

(other white goods distributors available)

It's a bit like trying to understand the weirder aspects of quantum mechanics before getting a new mobile.......

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

It's a bit like trying to understand the weirder aspects of quantum mechanics before getting a new mobile.......

One of those that hang down from the ceiling? Thought that would be Newton’s Laws of motion.....

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

You're going to love this.

I only posted the link because the first thing that was mentioned is Pilates. (Ring a bell?)

I hadn't looked down the list and spotted Kettering at all, so I can't have that one. 

Wonder where I got it from😁

The cool customer clue unsurprisingly went right over my head. 

First time I ever found the answer without realising it too. 

Perhaps I should invest in a line on the lottery this weekend. 

20201210_100153.jpg.3911222ed114277d10f63088866fe13f.jpgThis bloke could easily have won a V.C. more than once were his disciplinary record not so shockingly bad. There was no doubting his extraordinary bravery, though some just thought of him as stark raving bonkers.

20201210_155134.jpg.4a34026e507e6d3b7546c5dd4fc17554.jpg

Edited by neverforget

He received almost 40 wounds in action, the first of which saw him hospitalized, only for him to discharge himself to get straight back to the front line. 

Spent all night retreiving wounded from no man's land under heavy machine gun fire, for which he was recommended a V.C. but this was turned down as he was on a charge for thumping an officer.

This was just the beginning.....

After one of his mates was killed trying to take a machine gun post, he set upon the post, killed all of the 5 occupants with bombs and retrieved his mates body taking it back to the line. 

He then set straight off for the other machine gun post, came upon them from above, covered in blood, jumped in and bludgeoned the occupants to death with a club. He then turned the gun onto the enemy until it ran out of ammo, and finally dragged the gun back across no man's land to his own line.

He then dug a grave for his mate and buried him.....

More to come.

Edited by neverforget

Got sent to a High security prison for 2 years for whacking an NCO, but escaped and unbelievably once again went straight back to his section wearing the uniform of an allied soldier. However,  his Officer recognised him, but resented under pressure and pleas from the men and allowed him to remain with the battalion where he continued his outstanding work, including the rescue of someone who would go on to lead his country.......

I found a Kiwi that could match, he had a book written about him. I can’t get direct access to the Auckland museum copy as I’m in U.K., but my antipodean cousin is going to download a pdf copy and will send to me probably by this time tomorrow night.....hang in there I might have answer in a day or so😂😂

He did indeed have a book written about him, so it sounds like you have your man. I can't imagine another with a similar bio.

From what I can gather the writer of the book had previously caused concerns with authorities because of their stylised writing which gave a fictional criminal a persona of being real and had they had evaded the justice system.

In the WIT case (if it is him) it is the reverse, because of the previous scenario, people at first did not believe this soldiers credibility until others came forward to verify the stories that had been captured.

Just to clarify, the book is currently out of print and there are no readable copies on the web that I can find save the NZ copy.

That's very interesting John. I'm pleased to hear that this Rambo  character was a real one, as his war history is remarkable.

Well done for tracking him down anyway, similar to your Pilates chap where I had an inkling who he might be but couldn't put a name to him. 

If it helps, I have already given his name in the clues.☺😊

Looks like there are no other takers so I will name this WIT, as I have now have him confirmed, John (or James) Douglas Stark , also known as Doug or Starkie, a Kiwi who was a character. His exploits are written in the book “Passport to Hell” by Robin Hyde, which at first was thought to be a book of fiction until it was proved to be factual.

His combat deeds, include saving the life of George Coates later to become NZ Prime Minister, at one point led to him being recommended for the VC, but his disciplinary record let him down. A bit of a Boys Own hero of no-mans land he survived the war even after sustaining 37 wounds.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/opinion/114527994/starkie-our-toughest-bravest-soldier

Link provided in collaboration with original poster, as my ref to museum records could not be posted.

Well played Knotty.

A tough nut to crack in more ways than one.

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Looks like there are no other takers so I will name this WIT, as I have now have him confirmed, John (or James) Douglas Stark , also known as Doug or Starkie, a Kiwi who was a character. His exploits are written in the book “Passport to Hell” by Robin Hyde, which at first was thought to be a book of fiction until it was proved to be factual.

His combat deeds, include saving the life of George Coates later to become NZ Prime Minister, at one point led to him being recommended for the VC, but his disciplinary record let him down. A bit of a Boys Own hero of no-mans land he survived the war even after sustaining 37 wounds.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/opinion/114527994/starkie-our-toughest-bravest-soldier

Link provided in collaboration with original poster, as my ref to museum records could not be posted.

The following may be of interest:

1.  https://timespanner.blogspot.com/2016/07/somewhere-between-truth-and-otherwise.html

2.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-dlP1MxdZkcM341JwywsNQDMZ0o0e8aj/view

JP

Very interesting JP thanks.

Thanks JP, as neverforget said very interesting article, it makes you stop and think about what can be said using some embellishments of truth and mixing up with myths, such can be the case when writing down recollections after a passage of time.

I’m sure that if, we were given the time and resource we could all delve in great depth to some of the stories that have been told and “discredit” them in turn by not being 100% factual.

(Without being controversial in The Last Tommy,  Patch shot a German in the shoulder, to make him drop his rifle, above the knee and in the ankle, so not to kill him.....umm).
All the same JDS was definitely a character of the period and should stay a hero in the eyes of those who choose to believe, who are we to say he wasn’t.

Author, sailor, soldier, and one that I found whilst looking for Knotty's Joseph Pilates. 

20201215_190351.jpg.260fee8af66120a7b2295603f48ac8af.jpg

H.P. Lovecraft was an admirer of his works, which might give a clue about one subject he wrote about, though he wasn't an actual member of the "Lovecraft Circle".

A sailor before the war, after he had run away from home as a boy, and was bullied because of his diminutive height. However, due to his bodybuilding and boxing skills, bullies soon learned to give him a wide berth.

He was awarded a gallantry medal for saving a shipmate from shark infested waters.

Again, like Pilates, the Police force benefited from his tuition.

Long silence......

O.k. then. Appeared on stage with Houdini, and restrained him so effectively that Houdini complained that he had unfairly compromised his efforts to escape.

Wrote several novels, poetry, and was also known for his photography. 

Commissioned into the R. Artillery, wounded,sent home but re-enlisted.

Killed at Ypres.

It’s a shame that I know him through the Pilates connection, for those still looking don’t give up hope, try a recent England manager.......there are two clues there!

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

It’s a shame that I know him through the Pilates connection, for those still looking don’t give up hope, try a recent England manager.......there are two clues there!

That fits the Bill nicely John, thanks. 😊

Edited by neverforget

Ok. Due to absolutely zero interest, time to put this one to bed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hope_Hodgson

17 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Due to absolutely zero interest

I assure you that there was indeed interest

and in my own case a willingness to learn

You put up a fascinating subject

Thank you