Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

It seems my hunch might have been along the right lines after all. In your original post two words stood out; police and control. As I said it made me think of someone our instructor told us about who had taught self defence to the police, and was a master of breath control, which is enormously important for combat fighting.

https://www.tacticalarts.com/articles/entry/survival-stress-management-for-self-defense-combat-breathing

We learned breathing techniques to help us develop our abdomens, absorb blows, and dramatically increase our stamina. It was an integral part of our training which I heard him emphasize very many times over the years. I couldn't remember the name of the chap whose techniques he was teaching, and didn't know he was German, and when I found Joseph Pilate by searching for a German born boxer who taught self defence to police, the name still didn't ring any bells.

https://www.sobafitness.com/joseph-pilates

I wonder now if my instructor didn't actually mention him by name, and perhaps that's why.

I hope it is him after all that.

EDIT. It is him, I've just found some pictures.

Edited by neverforget

And the prize goes to Mr P who correctly identified......

Joseph Hubertus Pilates, who developed the physical fitness technique that is now used world wide by millions.
Born in Germany in 1883, of Greek & German parents, he came to the U.K. in 1912, already a master of self defence, he was interned on the Isle of Man, for the duration, where he started to perfect his techniques. After the war he briefly went home before emigrating to the USA.

He died in 1967 aged 83, and that photo of him was taken in 1943 aged 60.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Pilates

I remember years back posting a run of boxers on WIT, and found a few more today, some of whom were rather interesting. That was a good one John; I bet he was a bit of a handful in his day. 

That link I posted about combat breathing techniques are not just for fighters, and can be adapted to all walks of life by the way and can be very beneficial to everyone. 

Link already copied for reference. As you say he was probably a handful in his day, and fair play to him for his persistence.
I found him by total accident and at first didn’t put 2 and 2 together that Pilates was not just a Greek named style of training. I would doubt that many on here or in the big wide world would realise where it came from, certainly a good one for quizzing.

And thanks for your boxer reference, I now know where to start looking for inspiration for your next WIT🤣🤣🤣.

Got my next one ready😇

Hi all, 

I've been busy this WE... work on the research paper and rehearsal for the virtual XMas concert. 

Meanwhile we're in the middle of "Joint" week ... we're doing the work of a crisis staff at SHAPE level in distance... with ONE person having had a crash-course in the use of the ad hoc tools... normally takes months to learn... n'importe quoi!!! 

enfin soit... I'm probably busting in to another but this chap's ID will kill two birds with one stone... if I'm right in the ID, then I have my answer... 

Clue: I'm reading Captain Jack's Diary (need some "light" lecture for now...)

390089007_MRDpolo.jpg.54caec42c4e4b50590c4e4ef274f6573.jpg

M.

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Herbert Wilson, 1908 U.K. Olympic gold in polo, killed at Arras 1917?

nopes. 

But it's the right sport... LOL

Killed a year earlier

M.

4 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Leslie Cheape?

nopes again...

Mais allez... 

M.

Lt. J.W.H.Park?

toujours pas... 

and zis is a clue... 

Olympic medalist

M.

Ok let’s try another tack, is he British or Commonwealth or neither ?

Edited by Knotty

Jules Aristide Jenicot?

Mais oui!!!

He played for Paris and Compiègne Polo Club and won the bonze medal at the 1910 olympics. He was KIA in Verdun on 5th May 1916, where he served with the 66th Infantry Regiment

the reason why I put him in is that Gen Jack refers to a Capitaine Raoul Duval of the French Dragoons, who served as an interpreter and Liaison with his Bn at the start of the war. End of August he suffered the ghastly experience of being arrested by the British in France for being a German Spy!!! He promised the guy a duel after the war but it never came to that. 

I just supposed this is the same man... case closed... 

M.

That I don't know... some things will forever remain a mystery! 

M.

3 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Mais le nom de cheval?

Rare with Fries😁
Ok that was a short and sweet WIT, have a go with this one.

Clue for a starter, surname of a Midlands town

2B30EACD-5F65-49CD-8A6E-02AB05A58775.jpeg

Clue2

Turns out he was also a cool customer as well as a a benefactor of a University

Edited by Knotty

30 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Clue 3

His invention is now part of the modern armies 

Tried a few Midland towns but nothing yet. Thought I would try a search "Inventions WW1"; look at the first thing that came up 😁

https://www.history.com/news/world-war-i-inventions-pilates-drones-kleenex

(Pilates not trenchcoats.😊)

You have him there, quite a remarkable inventor when you delve into his life.

He invented or was part of a team that invented a few items we take for granted.

Charles Kettering, pioneer of the first usable drone, invented the key operated electric starter motor, helped develop Freon gas for fridges etc. , put the lead into fuel for anti-knock, designed an early incubator for babies, and a treatment for VD. 

It was his drone (Kettering Bug) that caught my eye,which was tested and worked, but the war ended before mass production. Elements of the drone went into missile development years later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_F._Kettering

You're going to love this.

I only posted the link because the first thing that was mentioned is Pilates. (Ring a bell?)

I hadn't looked down the list and spotted Kettering at all, so I can't have that one.