Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Given the very wide spread of people involved in the Great War, looks like there is plenty of scope for a Pen and Sword/Helion job on "British Blackguards and Bounders of the Great War"   :wub:

I'd have a copy of that.  Could be a part work,  volume 2,  German Bounders , Blackguards and Bounders....  etc, etc.  

6 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'd have a copy of that.  Could be a part work,  volume 2,  German Bounders , Blackguards and Bounders....  etc, etc.  

But the good thing is that many of them have already featured here on WIT!!  The virtuous are distinctly boring.

But the good thing is that many of them have already featured here on WIT!!  The virtuous are distinctly boring.

Great if you do the British volume,  I'll do the Idrisid Emirate of Asir.  

17 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'll do the Idrisid Emirate of Asir. 

Already done-a rather slim volume.  Not yet reviewed in "Stand To"  .... as if. 

Already done-a rather slim volume.  Not yet reviewed in "Stand To"  .... as if. 

Damn,  Theres 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. 

Well done to Knotty for the cryptic clue. (I'm no good at crosswords.) He was an Irish baron not a British baron.

I had been trying to think up something cryptic about the Happy Valley for the next clue.

I also had one lined up about Holly Aird playing his daughter.

Also a good clue about fighting for the UK in WW1 and be pro-Nazi in WW2.

Oddly no website gives a complete biography.

Somewhere I came across a picture of him flyig his plane over an assembly of the Irish Volunteers in Cork in February 1914. (I can't track it down at the moment.)

RM

Edited by rolt968

I suppose I should’ve posted this chap last week. Or any other week:

2AD83817-F5F4-46B2-9A1A-9438BBE02E58.jpeg

EDIT: image from Saintsplayers.co.uk

Edited by Uncle George

I'm almost certain that I recognise him, and even that picture but for the life of me I cannot bring a name to mind.

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm almost certain that I recognise him, and even that picture but for the life of me I cannot bring a name to mind.

We were looking at sportsmen last week, were we not. But he could’ve pitched up any week.

Clue: Mick Channon 

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

We were looking at sportsmen last week, were we not. But he could’ve pitched up any week.

Clue: Mick Channon 

Thanks U.G. That'll save me looking at any more polar explorers 😁

Sir Peter Cazalet?

My first thought was Sir John Jellicoe, but I fear I am suffering from an acute case of the condition initially described by Master Ridgus ( @David Ridgus ) which we might describe as Robert Nivelle Photographic Ubiquity Syndrome. Every senior naval man looks like Jellicoe even when it doesn't. I think research is needed into this debilitating condition.

Presumably the clue is based on Mick Channon, turf fancier

29 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

My first thought was Sir John Jellicoe, but I fear I am suffering from an acute case of the condition initially described by Master Ridgus ( @David Ridgus ) which we might describe as Robert Nivelle Photographic Ubiquity Syndrome. Every senior naval man looks like Jellicoe even when it doesn't. I think research is needed into this debilitating condition.

Not Jellicoe. And, am I the first to suggest that your avatar is John Richardson in a tin hat?

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Presumably the clue is based on Mick Channon, turf fancier

Yes but more a clue to Mick’s day job.

24 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

And, am I the first to suggest that your avatar is John Richardson in a tin hat?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. Who is John Richardson, and does he also bear a passing resemblance to Sir John Jellicoe? Don't answer that, of course he does......

A fond memory is of Mick referring to Gary Lineker as “the boy Line Acre”. Of course, this was before he (the boy Line Acre) became famous as the Walkers Crisps man.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

A fond memory is of Mick referring to Gary Lineker as “the boy Line Acre”. Of course, this was before he (the boy Line Acre) became famous as the Walkers Crisps man.

And starting or finishing his comments with "for me" as in "for me the boy Line Acre done great."

Charles Burgess Fry?

How about this one. Responsible for saving countless lives.

20201204_111922.jpg.f139dfb2696382a7f27d708c76f881d2.jpg

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

ow about this one. Responsible for saving countless lives.

..... but obviously not through giving up smoking.  A medical doctor?

..... but obviously not through giving up smoking.  A medical doctor?

I would say a medical doctor plus.