Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'm confused now. The gentleman in the film, and the picture you posted is Gordon Williams, not Norman Collins, the author of Last Man Standing.

Clearly, I got to Collins through the Last man standing clue. 

37 minutes ago, neverforget said:

'Im confused now.

My fault entirely-  I was reading about Collins when you zapped in. Clearly, post Covid brain freeze.  Nonetheless, Pop Collins- wonderful stuff. - Worth the error!!

My fault entirely-  I was reading about Collins when you zapped in. Clearly, post Covid brain freeze.  Nonetheless, Pop Collins- wonderful stuff. - Worth the error!!

Pop Williams. 😜

Post covid? Have you had the dreaded lurgi? If so, well done on your recovery.

26 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Post covid? Have you had the dreaded lurgi? If so, well done on your recovery.

Fraid so. "Recovered" just in time  for the quacks to say that new strains may mean I get it again...........  I'm gifted with things like that  The NHS have been good- gave me the good news that I am no longer classed as a "vulnerable person". Yippee- an extra glass of Tizer in celebration. Alas, the next letter said I had been been reclassified as "clinically extremely vulnerable". These upgrades aren't everything they are cracked up to be!!

Yes-a little confused yesterday= I came across Pop Williams by accident when looking for something else- there was another feature out there-an interview with another Boer War/Great War Oz veteran from 1975-but I have failed to find it again. I still think that more men who served in the Boer War died in the Great War subsequently than in the Boer War itself. Max Hastings printed Churchill's account of the cavalry charge at Omdurman (in  the Oxford Book of Military Anecdotes) - all pistols, swords, lances,etc- then wryly commented that this was the same man who authorised British nuclear bombs when later Prime Minister- Fascinating how the world can change so much in the span of one lifetime, which makes these  archive interviews -especially all the (colour) Great War ones from the Eighties and Nineties (Game of Ghosts is my favourite) so absolutely compelling.

Again, congratulations on your recovery. I too am classed as clinically extremely vulnerable; as you say mixed blessings. One way I try to look at it is that I never actually have to leave my house, because of guaranteed priority supermarket delivery slots, and prescriptions delivered too. However, I still make a point of going out once a week for a fishing trip, and this has been absolutely priceless in terms of keeping my sanity (such as it was). Even in this lockdown fishing is allowed as it is recognized as being very beneficial to mental health, as well as being relatively safe. Not everyone's cup of meat I know, so I consider myself lucky to at least have that interest to keep my batteries charged.

No need to tell you of all people, but stay safe Mr. V.

And you keep safe as well NF-  Sanity? Given up on that!!  As I say to friends, I wear a face mask when I occasionally go out because I am ugly not because of COVID

I wear a face mask when I occasionally go out

I went outside once, the graphics weren't great.

Cheery news about your recovery Monsieur V. As the sergeant in Hill Street Blues said (or says, as there is bound to be a repeat 'airing' on some channel as we speak) let's be careful out there.......

Pete.

Thanks Pete-   I don't know about Sergeant Phil Esterhaus- I have tried to follow the advice of the late King George V - "Don't go abroad, it's not nice-I know, I've been there"  "Abroad" at the moment means anywhere beyond the front door. 

Now-let's take advantage of my having been "Tom and Dick" and convert it into a  "WIT" (and,NF, I will try to be alert long enough this time to set it correctly:wub:)   Part of  my survival was due in part to this Great War veteran- so who is he?  (No,it's not Sir C.Aubrey Smith- striking likeness though)  So-who is he?

image.png.3746911de85a7cdae18c823d0fc1e5dd.png

And I expect you will want a clue as well..................

image.png.92ce1cde29b59ae2f3285f2c7f5e8fca.png

So, not this man but, in a sense, relatively close........

(No-its not another mean Yorkshireman .......... the list would be too long.  The winner gets to hear my joke about the Yorkshireman, the Eurolottery and  central heating radiators..)

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Selwyn Jepson?

Who?    Alas, No

18 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ken Maynard the American stunt double who was in the AEF, served in France?

Also, alas No.  

Another clue then:

image.png.7a20f77de4e55af7a0f7be4d6c9b7986.png

Yes, RAF officer (Must be-he's got a drink in his hand)

Who?    Alas, No

Well he looks like Selwyn Jepson (Tank Corps in the First War; SOE in the Second; author).

32862199-17EF-4020-8BB2-305506296E8B.jpeg

Thanks UG- That's brightened up my day...........a little.

Another clue then: Our man was involved with this.

image.png.d30dc81e7d232b4bec15efd940ecb0f8.png

My link was Selwyn ‘Oh No!’ Froggitt, you understand. And Christopher Lee is also said to have served in the SOE. For these reasons I’m sticking to my guess that he’s Selwyn Jepson.

14 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

My link was Selwyn ‘Oh No!’ Froggitt, you understand. And Christopher Lee is also said to have served in the SOE. For these reasons I’m sticking to my guess that he’s Selwyn Jepson.

Still alas and still No!!!!!!!    let's get this one on it's way-  Many,many,many people owe their lives to this man. Here he is  before the war with some chums at a garden party - he is on the right.  The picture may have been taken at 14.50 pip emma

image.png.3b789b2514d306220bd1be2d05251d32.png

Something to do with blood transfusions?

51 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That’s given it to me NF, the honours yours to name.

Mr V, Maynard was a sibling yes?

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

John, I have no idea who he is 😁

Just trying to make something out of the clues. It won't come as a surprise if I'm way off the mark. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Exactamento!!!! 

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Exactamento encore!!

Come on UG- one more heave-   one more clue 

image.png.0bee94d727c3337a873ca283c4d48f88.png

This is John Maynard's little brother Geoffrey Keynes. RAMC during WW1. All credit to the lads, I just had to tap it in from two yards......

Pete.

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

This is John Maynard's little brother Geoffrey Keynes. RAMC during WW1. All credit to the lads, I just had to tap it in from two yards......

Pete.

Very much so.  And, as Clement Attlee might have said of him, "a decent cove". 

Let's explain the clues- 1) Pic of  Geoffrey Keynes-not only a very distinguished medical man but an even more distinguished bibliophile-  especially of William Blake and William Harvey (The discoverer of the circulation of the blood-you can guess why in a mo). His brother J.M.K. was similarly a distinguished book collector and dabbled a little with economics I believe.

The picture was of the actor Bill MAYNARD - with a clue that this might be relatively close-    Thus, a reference to GK's brother, John MAYNARD Keynes

The other picture was to mislead-of GK- later in life as a Consultant Surgeon to the RAF (VR) -he was an Air Vice Marshal in WW2

The pic. of Count Dracula- to lead you towards the extraction of blood!!

The pic of the tea party at -I think-Grantchester -Keynes was a good friend of Rupert Brooke and his biographer and bibliographer. Yes- of course 14.50 pip emma was too obvious to you lot- It's ten to three-and yes, there was probably honey still for tea ("Home Thoughts From Abroad")

Keynes had not quite qualified at Barts when the war came. He was prominent in the development of  blood transfusions and wrote the first book in English on the subject.  Nowadays, we take such things as blood transfusions as such an everyday occurrence in hospital -  A side-effect of COVID that laid me even lower was a serious hemorrhage - Managed to lose north of 1 and half pints in about 15-20 minutes and do some very serious damage by "flying on empty".  So God bless you Sir Geoffrey and your pioneering work in the gore and slaughter of the Great War- it had one lasting legacy. It saved me and I am grateful to your memory !!