Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

You are Ted Rogers and I claim my five pounds.

No, I'm Chalky White-and you are not in Brighton and not carrying a copy of the "Daily Mirror" . No £5!! :D

Hi guys... just stopping by quickly to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to the WIT-enthusiasts... three months to go before the research paper needs to be handed in, so I'm working and trying not to stray too much away from work and be tempted by forum chats... not easy! 

this being said, that Lord Crawford seems like an interesting figure. 

see you soon!! 

M.

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

And to you MM, and boyfriend, bear and the rest of the gang. Best of luck with the research paper.

Pete.

“ Shaken from sleep, and numbed and scarce awake,
Out in the trench with three hours' watch to take ... “

Who is this ? ? ?

F6AB0488-7CB9-48CF-AF81-5FDE97DE0526.jpeg

Well done,RM- A C-G it is.  The distinguished polar explorer who wrote  a classic of travel and exploration literature-"The Worst Journey in the World "-hence the pic. above of commuters and the words that it was further south.

He was a member of the party that found Scott's party dead in mid 1913- they had failed to get to One Ton Depot, their supply store- hence the reference to 11 miles short. A further picture shows the cross and the top of the cairn built by C-G as the tomb of Scott's party.   I tried to give you lot a strong hint with the cherries on top of a Black Forest gateau-little realising the depths of the latent gluttony and cravings lurking out there. 

C-G.  never recovered either physically  or mentally from the Antarctic  in 1912-1913, yet he must have had a reserve of physical toughness to have got through that. He held a commission in the RNVR for the first half of the war, serving in armoured cars for a time. Early in the war he was involved in a scheme for training "war dogs" given his experience of handling them in the south (My pic. was misleading- Yes, it was a mutt-my son's happy old mutt Rudi- alas,completely untrainable and hopeless as a "war dog") C-G was invalided out midway through the war and his 1912-1913 experiences troubled him greatly with what we would now call PTSD 

The dog training was for sniffing out the injured (& dead?) at the very start of the war but after that failed to work out he got involved in armoured cars and I think that this was why he was at Wormood Scrubs airship sheds in Nov 1914 (perhaps testing / training the vehicles - he had experience of motor transport in extreme conditions) when his own car was purloined by his own chauffeur!  As reported by the Herts Advertiser on 28th Nov 1914.  Image courtesy of Herts Archives.

2140801247_MysteryHertsAdveritiserp528Nov1914.png.96a1f8bad4dc5fbc4ed1f9fb696e98f3.png 

10 minutes ago, SHJ said:

The dog training was for sniffing out the injured (& dead?) at the very start of the war but after that failed to work out he got involved in armoured cars and I think that this was why he was at Wormood Scrubs airship sheds in Nov 1914 (perhaps testing / training the vehicles - he had experience of motor transport in extreme conditions) when his own car was purloined by his own chauffeur!  As reported by the Herts Advertiser on 28th Nov 1914.  Image courtesy of Herts Archives.

2140801247_MysteryHertsAdveritiserp528Nov1914.png.96a1f8bad4dc5fbc4ed1f9fb696e98f3.png 

Car stolen in London- Who says history doesn't repeat itself!!      

5 hours ago, Uncle George said:

“ Shaken from sleep, and numbed and scarce awake,
Out in the trench with three hours' watch to take ... “

Who is this ? ? ?

F6AB0488-7CB9-48CF-AF81-5FDE97DE0526.jpeg

A very young Ringo Starr?   Is the photo from the Great War?

A boy soldier?

Walter Richie V.C?

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Walter Richie V.C?

No.

“ ... Five minutes ago I heard a sniper fire:
Why did he do it? … Starlight overhead-
Blank stars. I'm wide-awake; and some chap's dead. “

Evening UG

“Bring me sunshine”, is synonymous with the Morecambe and Wise Show and it was Sir William Cotton(Bill) who brought them to tv.

Sir Bill was the son of Billy Cotton of “Wakey Wakey” fame, from his long running band show, who I will nominate as the drummer. 
The electric encyclopaedia, Wiki, says he was an underaged Royal Fusilier at Gallipoli, recommended for a commission before later transferring to the RFC. 
Cannot locate a picture so cannot confirm if it is him or not....yet

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Evening UG

“Bring me sunshine”, is synonymous with the Morecambe and Wise Show and it was Sir William Cotton(Bill) who brought them to tv.

Sir Bill was the son of Billy Cotton of “Wakey Wakey” fame, from his long running band show, who I will nominate as the drummer. 
The electric encyclopaedia, Wiki, says he was an underaged Royal Fusilier at Gallipoli, recommended for a commission before later transferring to the RFC. 
Cannot locate a picture so cannot confirm if it is him or not....yet

Correct on all counts.

Quotes are from Sassoon’s ‘Trench Duty’:

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/trench-duty/

Image and story from here:

https://stmargarets.london/archives/2017/03/when-billy-cotton-came-to-brentford.html

Would 'hi di hi' be a tangental hint in this regard?

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Would 'hi di hi' be a tangental hint in this regard?

Ho-de-ho!

Yes, he is Billy Butlin. Image from Wikipedia.

Edited by Uncle George

Frank Kellogg?

Although thinking of that lovely hymn written in 1918 by the British Ambassador to Washington, I suppose it could be Sir Cecil Spring-Rice-Crispie..............  I'll get my coat.

20 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Correct on all counts.

Quotes are from Sassoon’s ‘Trench Duty’:

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/trench-duty/

Image and story from here:

https://stmargarets.london/archives/2017/03/when-billy-cotton-came-to-brentford.html

I wonder whether this piece from the second article would have helped:

"Then in September 1936 he made an attempt on the World Land Speed Record driving Sir Malcolm Campbell’s 12 cylinder ‘Bluebird’, a car that according to Billy had only 2 speeds - ‘fast’ and ‘stop’. He didn’t break the record which stood at 276.82 mph but managed to scare himself rigid with a speed of 121.57mph on Southport Sands."

I wouldn't have guessed that this was something that he'd done in a month of matinees! 

Who is this? 1930s photograph of GW worker.

Also, are these both of the same woman? (I know exactly who is looking out at us from the grey Popperfoto/Getty Images portrait, but is she the same person as the sepia photograph from the archive where I work?)

image grey.jpg

image sepia.jpg

Edited by seaJane
made photos smaller

20 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Who is this? 1930s photograph of GW worker.

Also, are these both of the same woman? (I know exactly who is looking out at us from the grey Popperfoto/Getty Images portrait, but is she the same person as the sepia photograph from the archive where I work?)

image grey.jpg

image sepia.jpg

I don’t know who she is, but I’d say the photos are of the same person. Ears, apparently, are as distinctive as fingerprints.

Jane- How about telling us who it is from the pic. you know- then we can scout around as to whether the other pic. names her anywhere.

...........and I thought you wanted the name of  the dead fox around  her shoulders- It could be Basil Brush's uncle.....

Edited by Guest