Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'm glad to know you think it's the same person :) (there is no ID on the sepia photograph).

Not Louisa Garrett Anderson, but did work in a medical capacity. Not British.

Edited by seaJane
clarification

Definitely same woman Jane, but I’ve no idea who she is.

Okay, to accrue past clues:

Not Louisa Garrett Anderson, but did work in a medical capacity. Not British. Still alive in the 1930s.

New clue: Daughter of a famous mother, alongside whom she did her war work.

Edited by seaJane

Bonjour tout le monde

Il s'agit d'Irène (Joliot-) Curie, ,daughter of Marie. I don't know if the two photos are ofn the same person but it seems plausible.

Cheers Martin B

Damn!  I looked at Marie Curie based on your clue not British, but had no idea she had a daughter in the same line of work....

Well done Martin!

Another lost sheep.  Left the Gunners to join the RFC and rose to Air Vice Marshal.   Sir Philip Woolcott Game, GCB, GCVO, GBE, KCMG, DSO (30 March 1876 – 4 February 1961)  The pre-war RAF dress busby gave it away. 

32 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Another lost sheep.  Left the Gunners to join the RFC and rose to Air Vice Marshal.   Sir Philip Woolcott Game, GCB, GCVO, GBE, KCMG, DSO (30 March 1876 – 4 February 1961)  The pre-war RAF dress busby gave it away. 

I stayed out of this one as I recognized the picture. I am not an expert on uniforms but for some reason that particular photograph shows a particularly absurd uniform and the words "Rhode Island Red" come to mind when I see it.

Also, not to forget that Sir Philip Game was a distinguished Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis-through the Moseley troubles and the Blitz- and by all accounts a quite modest man=preferring public transport to an official car.  Much more successful than Trenchard.

A talented chap.  His skill set extended from being OC gun carriage party at Queen Victoria's funeral, and as Governor of New South Wales,  soothing bruised egos at the comedic Sydney Harbour Bridge opening ceremony.  

Yes, Sir Philip Game. Sir John Simon (they both served on Trenchard’s Staff) writes about him in his Memoir, ‘Retrospect’ (1952): “His quiet precision and the complete command he had of every aspect of staff work made a deep impression. How far removed he was from the slighting conception of a ’Brass Hat’ only those who worked in the closest contact with him can fully know.”

And yes, he became Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police - my words ‘suspect’ and ‘solve’ were feeble clues in this direction.

Image from Wikipedia.

There were at least four other senior officers of the BEF who later became Commissioner of the Met - can you name them all?

Ron

I cannot. Judging from this image (from ‘TVTropes’) George Dixon didn’t serve (I think I’m right in saying). I see that Jack Warner did serve and was awarded the MSM.

F2C3FB6E-B037-4BFD-BD48-765F88EF8333.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

"Evenin' All"  Sadly it doesn't look like Old George got a look-in.  

1/ General Sir Cecil Frederick Nevil Macready, 1st Baronet,  (Adjutant-General of the British Expeditionary Force)

2/ Brigadier-General Sir William Thomas Francis Horwood, GBE, KCB, DSO (Provost Marshal of the General Headquarters of the British Expeditionary Force.)

3/ Field Marshal The Right Honourable The Viscount Byng of Vimy GCB GCMG MVO.   (OC 3rd Cavalry Division)

4/ Marshal of the Royal Air Force Hugh Montague Trenchard, 1st Viscount Trenchard, GCB, OM, GCVO, DSO  (OC 1st Wing RFC )

I bet none of the above had to apprehend an armed criminal trying to escape from the Paddington Green  "Roxy" .

Armed only with a stick and a winning smile.....

One of the most famous scenes in the history of British cinema.  And shows that Dirk Bogarde was not a member of Great War Forum-   What?  Think you can scare someone wearing a row of  service ribbons?  No chance!!

image.png.f1007933ebaa9eb3a9d74b1adc4716e7.png

Well done, Gunner Hall. Four out of four.

For those who don't recognise the photo in the previous post, it is a still from the film "The Blue Lamp", the first appearance of PC George Dixon, who was killed by Dirk Bogarde's character, but survived into several classic TV series.

Ron

Thanks Ron.  It's really obvious that the appointments committee changed policy after Sir Phillp Game.  They appointed civils (either of the home or Indian establishment)   or people with actual policing experience. The damn cheek. 

BTW,  Horace John Waters (aka Jack Warner / George Dixon )  served with the RFC from 1915 on as labourer, Carpenter and finally as a corporal motor cyclist - He was awarded the MSM. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Keeping the thread rolling along, who is this lady?, don’t let the uniform mask her achievements on the lives she saved.

FF0A0CBF-F222-4147-8338-BA7BF3BE4BF1.jpeg

Trying to make her profile fit Marie Curie, who saved many lives via mobile x-ray machines, but Marie's face was thinner.

Looks too old to be either of the Ladies of Pervyse - Mairi Chisholm or Elsie Knocker - unless it's an older Elsie?

WSL, there are similarities but not anyway connected to MC.

sJ, no not the L o P, but she was drawn to working on the front line.

Edited by Knotty

I think I know who this lady is. If I'm not mistaken she has been here before. 

I'm keeping schtumm at the moment.