Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Hi UG

Thanks for the answer, had forgotten I had posted.

Alas not Jack Gray, my mans first was many years later during the next conflict, all I know was that he served in the GW, and is buried in one of the Newbury cemeteries.

His first started with a typical outdoor accident.

Plenty of clues there but I'm still hitting a brick wall at the moment. 

I have a suspicion that he may have been the first person treated with penicillin in Oxford, c.1940-1941. I seem to remember he had injuries in part caused by rose thorn, responded well to penicillin but died because of the small quantities of penicillin available- Development of large scale production techniques in 19140-1942 done by the Americans. I remember for sure that he was a policeman in Oxford

I have a suspicion that he may have been the first person treated with penicillin in Oxford, c.1940-1941. I seem to remember he had injuries in part caused by rose thorn, responded well to penicillin but died because of the small quantities of penicillin available- Development of large scale production techniques in 19140-1942 done by the Americans. I remember for sure that he was a policeman in Oxford

-Just checked- Yes-Albert Alexander-the full group pic. is on the Newtown Cemetery website

image.png.bb325492bf56b7ff67c1133ca838e32a.png

Well done Mr V, Albert Alexander was a member of the Berks County Constabulary and the first recorded penicillin injection.

There is a dispute as to why he was hospitalised, there is the gardening theory, whilst recuperating and the rose scratch giving blood poisoning, and another where he was directly injured in a bombing raid down in the Southampton area and transferred to Abingdon Cottage Hospital, and onto the famous Radcliffe in Oxford. I tend to go with the bombing narrative as most Newbury Fire & Police end up in the Southampton/Portsmouth area during the war, either way he was the first penicillin injected patient, and buried in Newtown Cemetery Newbury. 

Here’s one account

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Alexander_(police_officer)

We have had this officer before, but not so's you'd recognise him from this. I don't mean the RMLI man on the left, but the naval officer on the right.

IMG_20210317_172438 less caption.jpg

Edited by seaJane

Any chance of a clue sJ?

37 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Any chance of a clue sJ?

He was serving with the Grand Fleet when this was taken a long way up north, either QUEEN MARY or BENBOW but I haven't worked out which yet, nor whether this is before or after Jutland.

Henry Wise Parker?

Not Wise, but he did go into Naval Intelligence later in the GW.

Another clue, or is this poser about to congeal you?

I'm a bit lost sJ, another clue would go down well.

I'll try sending thought-bubbles ...

I'm really trying. 

Can get witnesses to confirm that too.😁

:D So it appears.

33 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm really trying.

I've had that said about me, but in the sense of "sometimes you can be really trying". I'm loving the clues and the sheer effort that is being put in at our West Midlands branch.

Pete.

I would like to add that both my previous posts really were clues :innocent:.

Admiral William Milbourne James, as a child he sat for the “Pears Soap “bubble portrait, painted by his grandfather. He was also pretty well in with “Blinker” Hall.

I think that he was commander on the “Hood” when my grandfather was serving on her in the early 30’s

John

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

Another clue, or is this poser about to congeal you?

You've got it John.

The above was a very tangential clue to the artist, via Lizzie Siddall in the bath, and a book called Verse and Worse, from my father's copy of which I learnt most of my first poems.

"Oh, Mr Millais, 

Do I 'ave to sit 'ere all day?

It's enough to congeal yer

Posing for Ophelia."

Photograph from the album (now in the archive at work) of Surgeon Hugh LP Peregrine, HS CHINA, aboard which it was taken.

‘Congeal’ sent me in quite the wrong direction, to blood coagulants and transplants, ending in the blind alley of Harold Gillies (q.v).

Me too. Spent hours up a blind alley.( As usual😄) Well done shipmate Knotty, and good one Jane.

Here's another one for you. Who is this???

20210325_174037.jpg.5ea619619993281a56ef7a9a775a4140.jpg

15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Forum Pal Medaler😂

He would probably be able to solve it at a glance. I'll see if anyone can come up with any helpful hints first, and then start posting clues.

Just now, neverforget said:

He would probably be able to solve it at a glance. I'll see if anyone can come up with any helpful hints first, and then start posting clues.

Here it is again to save going back to the previous page. 

20210325_174037.jpg.ee7a9da7ed2ca9a896575d39cfee29a1.jpg