Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Who is this chap???

20180826_201122.png.013563680ef180abae0c927b4742225e.png

Participated in the first official allied victory of the war. 

Granted a scholarship in the U.K. afterwards.

Captured by the Germans in WW2 but managed to escape.

Further clues for the above:

Both his parents, a grandparent, and seven of his siblings were all murdered by the enemy in the first war.

He was imprisoned between the two world wars.

In the 80's he participated in, and was the subject of a documentary about his Great War experiences.

None of the things that I have mentioned are the thing for which he was most famous.

(I'm working nights and won't be able to reply until about half three this afternoon.)

Edited by neverforget

5 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

I think he's Serbian, is there a Black Hand/Franz Ferdinand connection?

He is indeed Serbian, but no connection to either of the above.

He is commemorated on Corfu, and in Loznika, and Belgrade.

A quite remarkable man: I found the answer by Googling the clues so I'll leave it for someone who knows the answer, or who can work it out.

38 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

A quite remarkable man: I found the answer by Googling the clues so I'll leave it for someone who knows the answer, or who can work it out.

I think we all see that as a perfectly legitimate way of solving candidates.

Performing a google image search is seen as a game-killer, and does render the whole exercise as somewhat pointless, but other than that I would say get there however you can. Without the use of the extensive library we would be stumped on anyone but the instantly recognisable, and most of those have already appeared long ago. 

Anybody fancy applying their WIT talents to the identity of the VC holder in the topic “ Great War Commemoration Photo” sitting in the “Units and Formations” sub-forum ?

Momčilo Gavrić.

13 hours ago, neverforget said:

Further clues for the above:

Both his parents, a grandparent, and seven of his siblings were all murdered by the enemy in the first war.

He was imprisoned between the two world wars.

In the 80's he participated in, and was the subject of a documentary about his Great War experiences.

None of the things that I have mentioned are the thing for which he was most famous.

(I'm working nights and won't be able to reply until about half three this afternoon.)

42 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF is your chap Momčilo Gavrić a Serbian and the youngest soldier of WW1?

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-i/youngest-soldier.html

Yes John well done. Very surprising that he hasn't yet featured on W.I.T.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momčilo_Gavrić

38 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Momčilo Gavrić.

Correct Andrew, but Knotty got there first 👍

Well that was quick. James Duffy VC. That’s why I always say to folks, if you want to find out anything about the Great War join the Great War Forum. Thank you. It was bugging me. 

Margaret

Edited by Margaretnolan

23 hours ago, neverforget said:

I think we all see that as a perfectly legitimate way of solving candidates.

Performing a google image search is seen as a game-killer, and does render the whole exercise as somewhat pointless, but other than that I would say get there however you can. Without the use of the extensive library we would be stumped on anyone but the instantly recognisable, and most of those have already appeared long ago. 

People tend to get my inputs in minutes, sometims seconds!

Duffy seems to have aged fifty years between 1917 and 1924 and then stayed like that for the next 45 years.

Edited by IPT

• 3 weeks later...

This man was a son of the Empire. In the late 19th Century he served in Africa and in WW1 would rise to Brigadier-General. He was the holder of the 1914 Star and amongst other decorations received the DSO.  He served in the Home Guard for a while in WW2 as a Major. His grandson would also rise to Brigadier and became a senior member of the Institute of Civil Engineers.

Charles_Foulkes.jpg

Edited by Terry_Reeves

I will check with my daughter later this evening as she is a Civil Engineer, I was only classified as a CE Surveyor, I do have an idea but will get clarification.

Speak soon

Thanks to the help in trying to identify the VC winner in the Great War Commemoration photograph- I can see the resemble to James Duffy- the shape of his ears, and asymmetrical mouth, but I agree he seems to have aged a lot