Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

John (Joe) Kelly married Maisie Kelly (same surname but not a relation) in Malta, in (I think) April 1915

Maisie Kelly was the sister of Frederick (Cleg) Kelly who was serving with the Hood Battalion, RND, at the Dardanelles at that time

and who would go on to serve with the Hoods on the WF (killed at the Battle of the Ancre). Cleg Kelly was a famous rower, pianist and composer

I think it was Joe Kelly who gave his name to the HMS Kelly that Louis Mountbatten captained in the early part of WW2. She sank off Crete in 1941 and was the inspiration for 'In Which We Serve'.

Pete.

54 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I think it was Joe Kelly who gave his name to the HMS Kelly that Louis Mountbatten captained in the early part of WW2. She sank off Crete in 1941 and was the inspiration for 'In Which We Serve'.

Pete.

I had not thought about that as a possible association.

According to Fabulous Admirals another brother was killed in 1915, yet another brother became a general and there was at least one equally formidable sister.

RM

Cleg (Frederick Septimus) has definitely appeared on W.I.T.

12 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I had not thought about that as a possible association.

According to Fabulous Admirals another brother was killed in 1915, yet another brother became a general and there was at least one equally formidable sister.

RM

RM

It only occurred to me when I read JP's post back. It is confirmed (if you use the word loosely) on Wikipedia; of course the usual caveats apply. The entry about me being the inventor of the vacuum cleaner is clearly incorrect; Albert Electrolux's patent pre-dates mine by some months. The Kellys sound like a family of what we would now call over-achievers.

A classic WiT? by the way; you could have chained me to a typewriter in the company of an infinite number of monkeys feeding me bananas and I still wouldn't have got it this side of the end of the universe.

Pete.

P.S. I help out at Everton's over 75's group occasionally (we have competitions, I give them a talk on a worthy subject and the last one to fall asleep wins a slice of swiss roll). My friend Eric was a matelot on board either HMS Roberts or Abercrombie after the late unpleasantness and met Mountbatten, he thinks the world of him. I must ask him about Noel Coward's portrayal in the movie.

Edited by Fattyowls
apostrophe outrage

Contra, I had a friend who met Mountbatten and couldn't stand him ...

12 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Contra, I had a friend who met Mountbatten and couldn't stand him ...

Marmite. I'm starting to doubt myself now as Eric either liked Mountbatten and really disliked another senior naval figure, or maybe it was the other way around. He's good value waxing lyrical about his life on the ocean wave so I'll ask him. Providing I can wake him up after talking about the origins of Merseyside place names that is.

Pete.

56 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

A classic WiT? by the way; you could have chained me to a typewriter in the company of an infinite number of monkeys feeding me bananas and I still wouldn't have got it this side of the end of the universe.

Yes you would - this is how I found the Kelly bothers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_1931

I started at 31 December, worked back, and the Petersfield was the first HMS that I came to. That link led me to William and his link to John.

JP

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

These days it would no doubt be referred to as "What we serve in," as in "They shall not grow old."

1 hour ago, helpjpl said:

Yes you would - this is how I found the Kelly bothers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_1931

I started at 31 December, worked back, and the Petersfield was the first HMS that I came to. That link led me to William and his link to John.

JP

That's because your clever, organised and methodical JP; unlike what I am. There wasn't much call for deductive reasoning down pit when I were a lad. However I am really pleased with your confidence in me, however misplaced.

Pete.

Who might this be???

20181023_094430.thumb.png.844262183312a7d31c4f6f364277d094.png

Clue: Famous grandfather.

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Who might this be???

20181023_094430.thumb.png.844262183312a7d31c4f6f364277d094.png

Clue: Famous grandfather.

That's easy! I thought to myself. 'Tis Alexander Yakovlev. But he was not born until 1906. So, as you were.

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Miss! Miss! , nf is smoking his funny stuff again😁

I haven't, but I'm pretty sure that he would have done so. 

Another hint would be C.E.F.

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

That's easy! I thought to myself. 'Tis Alexander Yakovlev. But he was not born until 1906. So, as you were.

Took a while for that one to sink in U.G. but I got there in the end 😊

His grandfather had a celebrated encounter with a well known blond.

Granddad:20181023_112947.png.c5bee32fcf46e3f737a9f74af83e6c49.png

Oh come on! This is far too easy now.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Allenby?

No.

In both cases, (grandson and grandfather) it's a case of "say what you see".

I wonder who will get the feather in their cap for solving this. 

2413310 Private Joseph Standing Buffalo, Kia September 29, 1918 
Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment) Division:78th Battalion 

Date and Place of Birth:June 3, 1897 Indian Head, Saskatchewan, Canada Date and Place of Enlistment:June 11, 1917 Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada Cemetery: BUCQUOY ROAD CEMETERY; Pas de Calais, France Grave Reference:IV. B 34. 
Joseph Standing Buffalo was the grandson of Chief Sitting Bull of the famous battle of the Little Big Horn where 'General' George Custer (the blond) and his men were annihilated.

He was the son of Julius Standing Buffalo, Chief of the Sioux Tribe of Indians, of Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan.

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

2413310 Private Joseph Standing Buffalo, Kia September 29, 1918 
Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment) Division:78th Battalion 

Date and Place of Birth:June 3, 1897 Indian Head, Saskatchewan, Canada Date and Place of Enlistment:June 11, 1917 Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada Cemetery: BUCQUOY ROAD CEMETERY; Pas de Calais, France Grave Reference:IV. B 34. 
Joseph Standing Buffalo was the grandson of Chief Sitting Bull of the famous battle of the Little Big Horn where 'General' George Custer (the blond) and his men were annihilated.

He was the son of Julius Standing Buffalo, Chief of the Sioux Tribe of Indians, of Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan.

100% spot on answer John. Nothing I can add to that.👍

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Standing_Buffalo

Now putting feather in cap, it was the last clue that gave me the inspiration “Sitting Bull”

Sorry missed off that I used a site www.American-Tribes.com for the info.

Edited by Knotty
Site information.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Joseph Standing Buffalo was the grandson of Chief Sitting Bull of the famous battle of the Little Big Horn where 'General' George Custer (the blond) and his men were annihilated

There is an interesting thread here http://amertribes.proboards.com/thread/2177/joseph-standing-buffalo-necropilis-france

which, if I have understood it correctly, indicates that there is some debate about the veracity of this

Excellent find Michael.

Pete.

WIT? Not his namesake.

IMG_20181023_200135.jpg

(just photographed this myself)