Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Knotty

That is correct. I knew Tom Foulkes when he was a Lt Colonel in G Division at The Royal Military College of Science. Like his grandfather he was a keen photographer and split image of him.

TR

27 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Bliksem! Perhaps the chap in the middle here belongs in that 'Unusually Named People of the Great War' thread. But who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Is it Walter Summerford?

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/05/07/struck-by-lightning/

Andrew Frederick Weatherby (Anthony) Beauchamp-Proctor, VC, DSO, MC & Bar, DFC?

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Andrew Frederick Weatherby (Anthony) Beauchamp-Proctor, VC, DSO, MC & Bar, DFC?

Nie hom nie, nee.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

The significance of 'Bliksem' is its language

Is it Afrikaans?

Is he the South African equivalent of Hugh Trenchard - General Raincoat?

Ron

21 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Is he the South African equivalent of Hugh Trenchard - General Raincoat?

Yes, the "Father of the South African Air Force," General Sir Hesperus Andrias van Ryneveld KBE CB DSO MC.

He served in France during the First war, and amongst other things (with Quintin Brand) was the first man to fly from London to Cape Town.

Photograph from here:

https://saafmuseum.org.za/father-of-the-saaf/

Who is this fella???

Represented the President in his particular role. 

Something for which he is very well known would certainly strike a non-musical chord in America at the moment. This country too tomorrow!20180918_174531.png.6124d11765f40f85abef5b8f41c73101.png

Edited by neverforget

His works of art were two of the biggest ever, and familiar to all.

3 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Is it Korczak Ziolkowski the Polish American sculptor responsible for the Crazy Horse memorial

TR

It isn't. His works of art were cinematic.

D.W. Griffith?

Victor Fleming - Director of “Gone with the Wind” & “The Wizard of Oz”.

He was the official photographer for Woodrow Wilson at Versailles.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.

Pete.

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Victor Fleming - Director of “Gone with the Wind” & “The Wizard of Oz”.

He was the official photographer for Woodrow Wilson at Versailles.

Well played John. Lt. Fleming it is, as correctly described above. I took the picture from "Victor Fleming, an American movie master." Here he is in uniform: (From here:)https://www.flickr.com/photos/144112920@N02/44403976572/

20180918_174634.png.f327003d7552aac99caa2c0282ec137b.png

Edited by neverforget

6 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.

Pete.

"I shall take the heart. For brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world."

This one was rescued from a sinking German ship in 1914 by one of our cruisers. They were subsequently awarded the Iron Cross. Changing allegiance they served on board the cruiser for a year before returning to Portsmouth, where they continued to serve the RN. Despite food shortages, through their actions, unselfishly amassed a sum of money for the Red Cross, before returning in different circumstances to their former ship, not only for the remainder of the WW1 but also onboard until the end of WW2.

clue...Admiral

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

This one was rescued from a sinking German ship in 1914 by one of our cruisers. They were subsequently awarded the Iron Cross. Changing allegiance they served on board the cruiser for a year before returning to Portsmouth, where they continued to serve the RN. Despite food shortages, through their actions, unselfishly amassed a sum of money for the Red Cross, before returning in different circumstances to their former ship, not only for the remainder of the WW1 but also onboard until the end of WW2.

clue...Admiral

Tirpitz the pig.  image.png.ed544249caabf0f40757fb27025bfbb7.png

That’s the boar/sow, Nepper, bit of a fun WIT for a change.

1166tirpiz.jpg

Tirpitz was a pig carried on the German warship SMS Dresden in 1914 as a food source. The Dresden was sunk in battle with the Royal Navy cruiser HMS Glasgow off the coast of South America during the Battle of Más a Tierra. Tirpitz managed to escape the sinking ship and swam towards the Glasgow. The crew brought him aboard and adopted him as a mascot, named him after German admiral Alfred von Tirpitz, and awarded him the Iron Cross for bravery.

After a year aboard the Glasgow, he was transferred to the Whale Island Gunnery School in Portsmouth. Tirpitz was eventually auctioned off as pork, but in his final act he raised £1785 for the British Red Cross. His head was mounted and can be seen at the Imperial War Museum in London. Tirpitz's trotters (feet) were made into handles for a carving set that traveled with the Glasgow in World War II, giving Tirpitz the dubious honor of serving aboard the ship in two wars.

An excellent addition to the now almost mythical WiT? sub-theme - famous pigs of WW1. A quality porcine poser.

Pete.

Agreed! Good post John.