Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

One of seven who took it to the enemy like never before.

20180811_072419.png.880cd355c292c5e2bda7588fd0588cf4.png

Wild guess-Ralph Cochrane?

Not Wild Ralph, but a dam good effort. 

There is a similarity of sorts though, as my chap and his six comrades embarked upon a mission that was the first of it's kind. One of the seven lost his life, and only three made it back to home soil, him being one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is it the Tondern bombing raid from HMS Furious?

👍Furious assault was to be my next hint, followed by some reference or other to camels. 

I now have 7 names in front of me, I know that one was killed, so can I put them up one at a time till I hit the correct one r do I keep looking?😁

I will get my coat as I’m going to daughters new house (keys yesterday now on Dad duty)

Edited by Knotty

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I now have 7 names in front of me, I know that one was killed, so can I put them up one at a time till I hit the correct one r do I keep looking?😁

I will get my coat as I’m going to daughters new house (keys yesterday now on Dad duty)

Actually I already narrowed it down earlier to three out of the seven.

Ok then here goes:-

They were Captains W. D. Jackson, W. F. Dickson, Bernard A. Smart and T. K. Thyne, and Lieutenants N. E. Williams, S. Dawson and W. A. Yeulett., who took part in the first “true” aircraft carrier mass launch and attack on the Zeppelin base at Tondern.

Capt Thyne had to abandon on route, and after the raid Williams, Jackson and Dawson flew onto land in Denmark. Dickson Smart and Yeulett attempted to fly back to HMS Furious.

Dickson and Smart ditched their planes and were picked up. The unfortunate Yeulett ditched but drowned,(the only fatality).

So it’s either Dickson or Smart and I’m not going to search tinternet for the picture.

31 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok then here goes:-

They were Captains W. D. Jackson, W. F. Dickson, Bernard A. Smart and T. K. Thyne, and Lieutenants N. E. Williams, S. Dawson and W. A. Yeulett., who took part in the first “true” aircraft carrier mass launch and attack on the Zeppelin base at Tondern.

Capt Thyne had to abandon on route, and after the raid Williams, Jackson and Dawson flew onto land in Denmark. Dickson Smart and Yeulett attempted to fly back to HMS Furious.

Dickson and Smart ditched their planes and were picked up. The unfortunate Yeulett ditched but drowned,(the only fatality).

So it’s either Dickson or Smart and I’m not going to search tinternet for the picture.

You are correct John. The man pictured was the only Chief of the Air Staff to have been originally commissioned in the Royal Navy (Sir Frederick Sykes served in the Navy for a little under a year even though he was originally commissioned in the Army).

Got there in the end. It is indeed. I offer an interesting website set up by a descendant of the one chap who lost his life on the mission. A commendable effort on his part to commemorate his ancestor, and in particular the raid in question. Well played Knotty. Stuck with it to the end!👍 

http://www.tondernraid.com/

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

an interesting website 

It certainly is nf, thanks for the posting

All gone quiet on the WIT front. 

Who might this be???

Wounded in Flanders 1917. Survived the war.

20180819_164053.png.c082480bd7a1a5e246849ec10261909f.png

A further hint then.

Not popular with the Nazis, who beheaded his sibling.

The German Robert Scholl? 

And to be honest if it is him he was the only possible name I could find with a WW1 connection, and his probably better known siblings, (children) Hans and Sophie both executed by the Nazis for treason. 

I need to do some research on this family, as I know nothing about them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Scholl

Edited by Knotty

I think I prefer your candidate too JWK. Remark/Remarque it is., as given away in the opening line of the post😊

Picture from www.Brittanica.com

Edited by neverforget

I believe that his actual surname was Kramer, which when reversed spells Remark. Wikipedia isn't always right.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

20180820_125554.png.4019722f87a518406ccf1aea9ff5a869.pngNot as well celebrated as his German counterpart, but still a technical innovator.

Major-General G H Foulkes, the Director of Gas Services?

Incidentally, Google Images' best guess is that it is a non-commissioned officer! Duh!

Ron

T

23 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Major-General G H Foulkes, the Director of Gas Services?

Incidentally, Google Images' best guess is that it is a non-commissioned officer! Duh!

Ron

Tut tut Mr. Clifton. Google images!? Not breaking our only self imposed ordinance I trust.😊

We are talking big guns.

Edited by neverforget

I allow myself to use Google Images when the poster breaks the other self-imposed ordinance, and gives only a rubbish clue!

Ron

Shock horror! Never thought I would live to see the day. 

I refer the gentleman to the last post. Big guns. 

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

Not as well celebrated as his German counterpart, but still a technical innovator.

That was the rubbish clue to which I was referring.

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

We are talking big guns.

That is not much better, frankly.

Who was his German counterpart? Professor Rauschenberger, Colonel Bruchmuller or Herr Krupp?

Ron