Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Not Krupp as that would likely be a civvie, so either someone into super heavy artillery or someone who used a lot of guns.

10 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

That was the rubbish clue to which I was referring.

That is not much better, frankly.

Who was his German counterpart? Professor Rauschenberger, Colonel Bruchmuller or Herr Krupp?

Ron

Don't quite know why you're having a pop at me Ron, I would have thought you knew the crack by now. We dribble clues out bit by bit and resist the game-killing tactic of simply performing a google image search. I regret that you think my clues are rubbish, but I think your attitude to the game is likewise. If you're stlll interested in taking part like the rest of us, which frankly, I am very close to not being, then in answer to your question it is Bruchmuller.

23 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

Major General Herbert Uniacke.

Spot on SiegeGunner, and Heid the Ba respectively. Glad my clues were enough to get you there. 

Uniackie it is. A very much overlooked contributor. 

https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/military_developments_of_world_war_i

Thanks for heavy hint of artillery nf, there is very little written about this fellow despite his caliber😁

There are plenty of portraits and photos of this chap, and a reference I found in The Encyclopaedia of World War 1 by Spencer Tucker, but it is his obituary that sums up what sort of leader of men he was.

AEB9844B-45BD-4DC1-8378-AE86ACA51A62.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

Thanks John. He is inexplicably overlooked. No wiki page or nuffin. 

I read somewhere that Bruchmuller saw him as a great adversary, but for the life of me can't remember where.

Edited by neverforget

5 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

His great-granddaughter, Olive Uniacke, is (or was) the girlfriend of Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe.

Permanently or just for a spell?

9 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

His great-granddaughter, Olive Uniacke, is (or was) the girlfriend of Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe.

As Peter Sellers doing an impression of Michael Caine said “and not a lot of people know that”

20180820_203007.png.8d11d5db5e22ae5c357c1bb4c6d77b2c.png

On 20/08/2018 at 12:58, neverforget said:

20180820_125554.png.4019722f87a518406ccf1aea9ff5a869.pngNot as well celebrated as his German counterpart, but still a technical innovator.

NF, where did this picture come from?

17 minutes ago, Nepper said:

NF, where did this picture come from?

Sorry, I should have stated that but got a bit distracted. It was an I.W.M. picture from here:

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5410984

Screenshot_20180822-101759.png.6348919db20fd29046d1ca63f4abcb52.png

Edited by neverforget

Who is this? She’s an American educated in Europe and won the Légion d'Honneur Croix de Chevalier and the Serbian Order of Saint Sava. 

C5705F4D-6E76-40AA-892F-CA869140061A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Who is this? She’s an American educated in Europe and won the Légion d'Honneur Croix de Chevalier and the Serbian Order of Saint Sava. 

C5705F4D-6E76-40AA-892F-CA869140061A.jpeg

Overly generous clues John.

I think it might be Anna. C. Ladd. Clearly not a squeamish lady.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Coleman_Ladd

Sorry for delay.....

Yes you have identified correctly nf, quite a remarkable lady. She founded the American Red Cross Studio of Portrait Masks in the artists' quarter of Paris in December 1917, for facial reconstruction as it was then. 

I’m sure that given time her ideas and methods of treatment would have contributed to helping more of those poor unfortunates who were badly disfigured by the war, however the stigma of having prosthetic masks/makeup attached, meant that clients dried up, and in turn resulted with the studio closing in 1920, her work not recognised until 1932.

Yet another overlooked and unsung, but non the less remarkable. Good post John 👍

Who might this be.  Outside Buckingham Palace with his mother after being award a MC.

D89AC45A-A15F-4D83-B0D9-528F0F1F538B.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Ghazala said:

Who might this be.  Outside Buckingham Palace with his mother after being award a MC.

D89AC45A-A15F-4D83-B0D9-528F0F1F538B.jpeg

In the absence of any T.EL.ing leads, would there be any connection to L.O.A?

Edited by neverforget

Just a thought; would his mother be the better known of the two?

2 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

He looks like Blackadder, but it’s Edward Britain.

Good one SD

EF95CE0D-DA52-43B8-A7E2-AB3D4C1A8E0F.jpeg