Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

As you were. Problem solved.

The links provided by Knotty tell the tale, and provide the link for the picture.

So who is this, I do not think he has been on WIT before, but I maybe wrong

28B37B7D-FCBF-41DC-93AF-41DAB375E3D0.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Knotty said:

So who is this, I do not think he has been on WIT before, but I maybe wrong

28B37B7D-FCBF-41DC-93AF-41DAB375E3D0.jpeg

Australia's youngest V.C. award?

Take away the VC and you will have identified him..........providing you give his name😁

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Take away the VC and you will have identified him..........providing you give his name😁

James Charles

The youngest Australian known to have died in World War I. He was only 14 years and nine months old when he succumbed to typhoid during the Gallipoli campaign. He was one of 20 Australian soldiers under the age of 18 known to have died in World War I.

(Answer quoted from Wiki.)

18 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That’s close, his first and middle names but not his surname, check Mr Wiki for his full name nf, I’m being very pedantic today😀, although you can credit him as found.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Martin_(Australian_soldier)

Ah yes, Martin, and previously Marks. That's the perils of copying and pasting from wiki for you 😊

Another Aussie with a particular claim to fame.

He has been mentioned before on the Forum but not on WIT (although I stand to be corrected).

47BF1FE2-B6B5-4B1F-9374-3970793590B4.jpeg

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Another Aussie with a particular claim to fame.

He has been mentioned before on the Forum but not on WIT (although I stand to be corrected).

47BF1FE2-B6B5-4B1F-9374-3970793590B4.jpeg

Is it Francis Hume Smith?

Some clues, he didn’t have to ever sing for his supper, but he was given a DCM for his efforts, but he never got the MM he was put forward for.

Seriously wounded he returned to Australia and was on guard duties up till the end of the war. An army medical report from 23 November 1918 noted that he had received gunshot wounds in the left shoulder, back, and left leg, and had suffered gas poisoning.

As a soldier he had a special skill, and seems to have been unequalled in that skill by any other man.

Ron

Well done JP, (not forgetting a mention of Ron,who appears to have identified him) you proverbially nailed him.

Won’t bother with any additional wiki links as you have included one for me.

Two men, three remarkable similarities between them.

Who are they and to what three things do I refer???

20180809_143124.png.8a34e343f885bc86a24106e4930a151a.png20180809_143209.png.c405e5bf00743e26325f9593d33f4e7b.png

The "top bloke" is a bit of a giveaway Aussie, but I'll give you that the other fella isn't. 

Oz is about the last place on earth I would move to. I'm one of those miserable old gits who complain about it being too hot at the least sign of any sunshine.

A few years back I might not have been given the choice though, like the original non-natives. I was quite keen on scrumping.

EDIT:

Just to be clear; the top bloke although clearly a digger, was actually born in England.

Not so the other chap. 

Edited by neverforget

Ok nf, similarities, knowing you I would say both VC winners?

Thats it so far

Edited by Knotty

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ok nf, similarities, knowing you I would say both VC winners?

Thats it so far

That does indeed take care of part one of the puzzle John.👍

Spotted the C13 on you second chap which gives me 13th Battalion CEF, so that narrowed it down and I believe that to be John Croak, from Newfoundland, who won his VC 100 years ago yesterday (8/8/1918) in an action at Hangard Wood, on the opening day of the Battle of Amiens, it saw him individually take out a machine gun section, and later when back with his platoon he led a charge and attacked a multiple machine gun emplacement, which was overrun. Wounded severely in both actions he succumbed to his wounds and received the VC posthumously.

Now for the Aussie 

You're on a roll👍

Can’t carry on, dinner is about to be served, then out until 10:00, so someone else will need to finish this WIT off, I’m guessing he also received a Battle of Amiens VC, maybe posthumously?

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Can’t carry on, dinner is about to be served, then out until 10:00, so someone else will need to finish this WIT off, I’m guessing he also received a Battle of Amiens VC, maybe posthumously?

I couldn't possibly comment....😉

Enjoy your night out. 

Edited by neverforget