Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. Struggling with the penguins imagery, but then I've only had one cup of coffee and sentences are a challenge at the moment.

The Blues Brothers film. (We're putting the band back together.)

Thanks for the link to the infiltration tactics thread.

Edited by neverforget

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The Blues Brothers film. (We're putting the band back together.)

Thanks for the link to the infiltration tactics thread.

Of course; it's embarrassing that I didn't pick up the reference, particularly as I can quote large sections of the dialogue verbatim, have visited most of the locations used in the movie and have a frankly ludicrous email address that alludes to it too. Clearly the sun is far too sultry and I'm failing to avoid its ultry violet rays.......

Pete.

Who is this and what is he doing in this 'Blue' sub-theme?

image.jpg

EDIT: image from Wikipedia.

Edited by Uncle George

Is it Theophile Delcasse? Probably not but if so I can't think of a connection to blue.

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Theophile Delcasse? Probably not but if so I can't think of a connection to blue.

Not him, no.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Not him, no.

I put this man up very recently-  along with a nice. pic of him and  Joffre limbering up for lunch. So I must say nothing. 

Save that the "blue" reference must be to the bad language used by him (and Joffre) if the lunch was not at least 10 courses-judging by their waistlines

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Not him, no.

Nor is it Eugène "Le pantalon rouge, c’est la France!” Étienne

I put this man up very recently-  along with a nice. pic of him and  Joffre limbering up for lunch. So I must say nothing. 

I believe I answered, so I will back out as well.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Who is this and what is he doing in this 'Blue' sub-theme?

image.jpg

That fine moustache says Adolphe Messimy, the French minister of war in 1914.  Blue referring to his period as a politician between two spells in the army?

19 minutes ago, Nepper said:

That fine moustache says Adolphe Messimy, the French minister of war in 1914.  

Yes indeed. A clumsy, shoehorned reference to the introduction of 'horizon blue' (officially termed 'bleu clair,' I see). Messimy it was who in 1911 criticised the traditional uniform of the French army:  " ... this blind stupid attachment to the most visible of colours will have cruel consequences ... "

Edited by Uncle George

Try this one, folks!

No picture, but in uniform he looked much like any other Tommy. In place of a picture, here are a larger than usual number of clues, so get your clicking fingers ready!

Born very late in 1883.

He and his father were both employed in a ducal household close to the Royal Family.

He and his wife had five children, of whom only two daughters survived to adulthood. One of the other children died in the 1918 influenza pandemic.

He joined an English line regiment, under conscription, and served in France and Flanders. Consequently he earned the BWM and VM, but neither of the Stars.

He survived the war and became a bus conductor in London.

His surname is very rare as a name - there were only about 40 in England and Wales in the 1901 census, mostly living in West London or Maidstone, Kent - but as an ordinary noun it is very common indeed, and can be found in virtually every kitchen. However, there are ten medal index cards for men with this name, of whom all but one were Privates or the equivalent.

One final clue, which may be the clincher: he had absolutely nothing to do with T E Lawrence, in any of his aliases.

Ron

No.

Ron

Great set of clues Ron.

Haven't a clue. 😊

Bit like you NF, tried microwave, halogen hob, but nothing doing, will press on.

16 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Bit like you NF, tried microwave, halogen hob, but nothing doing, will press on.

Had a bit of a moment when I thought "Kettle" but I think it was a flash in the pan. 

I see you have a new avatar.

That gentleman is Leading Seaman Albert John Knott 1899 -1941, joined up as a boy in 1914, saw action in the Dardanelles, was on most of the big capital ships of the time as a Rangefinder including on HMS Hood during the Empire cruise, I have his records and could go on. However he was kia 4/4/1941, on board the armed merchant cruiser HMS Voltaire.

Grandad to me.

Edited by Knotty

Respect to him from me.

610uIAMSRKL._UY600_.jpg.f3ddb745e8a039f86b4ec3b70f25bf9e.jpg

Thank you, would have got back sooner but Internet was down....again

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

That gentleman is Leading Seaman Albert John Knott 1899 -1941, joined up as a boy in 1914, saw action in the Dardanelles, was on most of the big capital ships of the time as a Rangefinder including on HMS Hood during the Empire cruise, I have his records and could go on. However he was kia 7/4/1941, on board the armed merchant cruiser HMS Voltaire.

Grandad to me.

And from me-   Coming from Plymouth, we had family friends where the father ( Frank Penny) had been on Hood  during one of the Empire Tours. They have his "King Neptune" certificate - a poster-sized job- "bound westward to Rio de Janeiro in the United States of Brazil". Great stuff. You may have one tucked away as well.

image.png.b3b2c14099f32d786ed1cf6b585a6c9d.png

Edited by Guest

I have several bits and bobs of his, as to my antipodian cousin, must check what she has, I know that she holds all his medals, that was something my Father and his Brother worked out between them, but what I do have is his HMS Hood tally.

(Picture, last one of Hood from Prince of Wales I believe)

Good Morning

Like most on here I’m  still working on Ron’s wordy WIT, but if there is anybody still hankering for a photo challenge in the meantime, I came across this chap and what is his claim to the Great War “hall of fame”

5579C3A0-FE20-43A2-A5BB-DDB62B57D84E.jpeg

Clue:whistle: He’s across the pond

Edited by Knotty

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

(Picture, last one of Hood from Prince of Wales I believe)

HMS Prince of Wales did not have triple turrets for her main armament. It looks more like HMS Rodney.

Ron

21 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Try this one, folks!

No picture, but in uniform he looked much like any other Tommy. In place of a picture, here are a larger than usual number of clues, so get your clicking fingers ready!

Born very late in 1883.

He and his father were both employed in a ducal household close to the Royal Family.

He and his wife had five children, of whom only two daughters survived to adulthood. One of the other children died in the 1918 influenza pandemic.

He joined an English line regiment, under conscription, and served in France and Flanders. Consequently he earned the BWM and VM, but neither of the Stars.

He survived the war and became a bus conductor in London.

His surname is very rare as a name - there were only about 40 in England and Wales in the 1901 census, mostly living in West London or Maidstone, Kent - but as an ordinary noun it is very common indeed, and can be found in virtually every kitchen. However, there are ten medal index cards for men with this name, of whom all but one were Privates or the equivalent.

One final clue, which may be the clincher: he had absolutely nothing to do with T E Lawrence, in any of his aliases.

Ron

No luck with finding anyone called Fondueset, Garlicpress or Grapefruitsegmenter! :-(

17 minutes ago, Nepper said:

No luck with finding anyone called Fondueset, Garlicpress or Grapefruitsegmenter! :-(

But to be found is one Alexander Fridge 201248, HLI.

And Alexander Grill G/35903, Duke of Cambridgeshire's Own.

Arthur Grater 241401, Devonshire Regiment.

Edited by Uncle George