Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

PS other half used to live in Tavy and rang the bells at Whitchurch. We still have contacts there if I can do anything helpful.

Just now, seaJane said:

PS other half used to live in Tavy and rang the bells at Whitchurch. We still have contacts there if I can do anything helpful.

Thank you Jane-  It will give me the excuse to go back to my home area,which I modestly refer to as God's Own Country (B*gger Yorkshire)- and on a sticky, sweltering day like today, then an Autumn day staying at the Dartmoor Hotel at Wotter -cool,wet,misty-is an irreistable treat to look forward to

Yes, it is Sir Stan. His painting of Swan Upping at Cookham was unfinished when the war began -and he completed it when he returned. He volunteered for the RAMC in 1915 and started out at a former lunatic asylum in Bristol(which, on balance,was probably more dangerous than the Western Front).After being transferred to Macedonia, he "volunteered" for the infantry-7th Berkshire. The war left a lasting impression on him. He was commissioned by the nascent Imperial War Museum to paint a large work, which showed wounded arriving at a casualty station in Macedonia-hence, the decorate South London bit.

An extract from the painting below- unmistakably  Spencer:

image.png.235db43d259302d6a89e210cb70fd378.png

Here we have a chap who was k.i.a. in 1918.

His father commited suicide, and his two sons; one an M.P. were both killed in WW2.

I would venture to suggest that all will have heard of his daughter, who was amongst other things, a conservative councillor. 

There is a road named after the family, literally two roads away from my house, not that that will help you much I admit.

20180722_175549.png.7adce0099212a58cc7b88c98ca336c86.png

Alas, NF- a little too easy: Both the father and sons are  better known as the relatives of:

image.png.5e016498d3c6087b63efb41744556459.png

Just a little  from the  learned Mr. W.I.Kipedia on the background of "Babs"

Early life[edit]

Born at 31 Augustus Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, England, Cartland was the only daughter and eldest child of a British Army officer Major James Bertram "Bertie" Falkner Cartland[6] (1876–1918), and his wife, Mary Hamilton Scobell, known as "Polly" (1877–1976). Cartland had two brothers: Major Ronald Cartland, a Member of Parliament and British Army Major of World War II (1907–1940), and James Anthony "Tony" Hamilton Cartland, (1912–1940)

Always knew she was a Brummy- You could tell by the accent. Without the make-up, it is a little-know fact that she emphasised her Brummie brogue and doubled for Amy Turtle on "Crossroads"

And to make sure we keep you in good cheer-an excuse to repeat the best description of Dame Barbara in her extreme old age- "It looked as if 2 crows had flown into the White Cliffs of Dover"

All joking aside for this Forum- Dame Barbara was justifiably proud of her 2 fallen brothers -and rightly so.

31 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Here we have a chap who was k.i.a. in 1918.

His father commited suicide, and his two sons; one an M.P. were both killed in WW2.

I would venture to suggest that all will have heard of his daughter, who was amongst other things, a conservative councillor. 

There is a road named after the family, literally two roads away from my house, not that that will help you much I admit.

20180722_175549.png.7adce0099212a58cc7b88c98ca336c86.png

Ronald Cartland MP was a very good egg, killed in the Second war. His sister was Barbara Cartland (yes, her) and his father Bertram was killed in 1918.

EDIT: we posted at the same time!

Edited by Uncle George

This gallant flyer was the unaccredited first, he went onto survive the war, only to be killed in an accident in 1923

2435A577-CDA5-470C-8DDF-7415620B547A.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

Both of you spot on of course. Well played gents.

I wasn't aware that our Brummie accents were detectable to people from other areas😁

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

This gallant flyer was the unaccredited first, he went onto survive the war, only to be killed in an accident in 1923

I recognise this one John, though his name escapes me for the moment.

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I wasn't aware that our Brummie accents were detectable to people from other areas😁

It's not delectable. I think it is used  after the Beeb shuts down every night instead of a high-pitched tone or white noise. Apparently, the Brummy accent is much more effective in waking people from their late-night slumbers and reaching for the "off" switch  :wub:

Hi NF

You should have said your WIT was also the father of Marcus Belfry, that might have caused some head scratching😁.

I’m surprised at you Mr V, I thought you might have said what still whines once the jet has landed in Spain........

Edited by Knotty

Watch it fellas! 

I know where yow live.

21 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi NF

You should have said your WIT was also the father of Marcus Belfry, that might have caused some head scratching😁.

I’m surprised at you Mr V, I thought you might have said what still whines once the jet has landed in Spain........

I am from Devonshire (Pronounced Deb-n-zhur)-  and I know full well that Brummies don't go to Spain-they all pile down the M5 on a hot day and sit in traffic queues from Bristol onwards.....Though I suspect being baked on a stretch of tarmac is better than an average day in Balsall Heath  :wub:

My first guess at WIT is Charles Nungesser but he came to his end 4 years later in 1927.

I shall have to have a word with my drinking pals from the Garrison Arms to see if they fancy a trip down in the charabanc. Or the Peaky Blinders express as it is known round ear.

Sorry Mr V not Lindberghs rival, as you say outlived my chap by 4 years.

NF - After living in the Black Country and environs since the early eighties, I am almost an ‘onary Yam-yam

And without causing offence, it made me smile, but then most things do

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=devon dumpling

The old saying along the lines of; "You found it offensive, I thought it was funny. That's why I'm happier than you." comes to mind. 

If you heard the banter between my two long-time fishing pals and myself you could be forgiven for thinking we all hated one another. One is a Cockney, and the other is Country bumpkin fron Evesham, or sprout-picker if you prefer. 

There's also a great deal of good natured hostility between Brummies and Black Country Yam yams. I can vouch for that after working in West Bromwich and Tipton for 15 years. 

I love dialects. Without them the English language would be sterile and uninteresting. 

20 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I love dialects. Without them the English language would be sterile and uninteresting. 

It is one of the intriguing things of the Great War-as well as Round 2 and National Service- the mixing of people not just by class but from different regions and by different accents.  It is very common in the memoirs that so-and-so was referred to by his regional or city accent.  When we often see accounts of the Great War and the Germans are mentioned, then the regional structure of the German Army is frequently mentioned- that British troops were fighting against "Prussians" or "Bavarians" or "Saxons"- but is the same not true of the British Army with it's regional divisions and brigades?????   That our army structure meant it was a regional war- I was surprised to learn that London's casualties during the war were c.125.000 killed,which means that London's war was a factor worth looking at for me.

NF-  Do you-or you fishing chums know the one about the Mayor of Wolverhampton, the lady of easy virtue and the back of Kings Cross Station? If not, I'll PM it to you- get those ribs cracked again through chuckling too much.  After all, a blue joke helped kill off one of our Kings- King George V reportedly opened up stitches in operation wounds laughing too much at a story told to him by Jimmy Thomas

I can't say that I've heard it so I'll risk it if you want to send it please. I can think of a few worse ways to die than by laughter, and probably only one better way.

I am reminded of the time when I was in the city-centre as a young lad with my dad, lagging behind him a little, when one of the "ladies" you mention accosted him with the words "Anything you like for four quid". His immediate response was "Giss yer four quid then!". When I asked him what all that was about, and why that lady just called him a rude word, he said he would tell me when I was older, thinking I was too young to know about such things. Of course I was fully aware and found it difficult to resist congratulating him on his response. 😁 True story I promise you.

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is this Albert Deullin?

EDIT: the photograph looks VERY like Georges Guynemer, but he is thought to have died in 1917. As seen here in Wiki:

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

I would have said Georges Madon, but as he met his end in 1924 that would rule him out. Certainly resembles him though. 

No doubt Uncle George has him in any case. 

Off to bed now. 4.15 start in the morning. 😪😢

Edited by neverforget

Neither of the names mentioned gentlemen, and yes UG he does look like Guynemer, didn't notice that. As you say NF, Madon was killed in 1924 so he's ruled out.

More clues tomorrow if it hasn't been solved overnight

Oh and NF if you have an early start for work, watch those ribs

Jean Casale- or, more of a gobfull:

Jean Pie Hyacinthe Paul Jerome Casale, Marquis de Montferato

Survived the war- an ace- commissioned up. Killed flying a 4 engine Bleriot in 1923

Another pic:

image.png.9392820b75c9b623a1dc0a15a4bc0dce.png

Jean Casale- or, more of a gobfull:

Jean Pie Hyacinthe Paul Jerome Casale, Marquis de Montferato

Survived the war- an ace- commissioned up. Killed flying a 4 engine Bleriot in 1923

Another pic:

image.png.9392820b75c9b623a1dc0a15a4bc0dce.png

You were quicker! Got more words per minute!