Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Uh?  Is it not a French imperial eagle-  the  word "Waterloo" underneath might be a clue-  Or is that indicative our man worked as a ticket collector  for the Southern Railway at the railway station of that name??? :wub:

On 19/07/2018 at 18:31, neverforget said:

Nepper has it!

Here's the full picture:

20180719_182750.png.456653584185712c83dea091e0167e00.png

With a close up of the caption:

20180719_182816.png.c568e86f74f331d0ca01f92bb894bbd0.png

I'm with GUEST - this is not the Russian two-headed eagle, but the Napoleonic eagle captured by Ewart at Waterloo.

On 19/07/2018 at 19:13, Uncle George said:

I'm with GUEST - this is not the Russian two-headed eagle, but the Napoleonic eagle captured by Ewart at Waterloo.

Same here, a bit of journalistic licence on the part of The Graphic I think.

Thank you gents I now stand corrected, I have always assumed that the badge had on it the inscription Waterloo and that was for their actions on the day, the Eagle was taken from both the Crimea involvement and later the Tsar being their C-in-C. 

How wrong can you be........don’t bother answering😃

It's not a problem Knotty- easily done. I get confused between the eagles of Barclays Bank and Imperial Russia as well.

One was  deeply despotic, unpleasant, overbearing, dictatorial and autocratic. The other was Russian.

image.png.3e15b854ed8aa64771149ad28c86eda4.png

image.png.48bfd0e592c287f31ac89426970eac31.png

And this chap? Obviously not finding the Great War too onerous.  Cigarette with his meal. A bottle of beer would have been appropriate as well. For a Brit. his success record was better than Churchill...............  His Great war career was partly determined by Windsor.

image.png.189eff76a9fb42ec085f4a90ebeb7f65.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is he the ventriloquist Arthur Harden?

https://www.forces.net/news/creepy-dummy-entertained-soldiers-during-ww1

EDIT: he is not. Arthur was not, I am sure, a general officer.

Alas,no.Major-General Sir Arthur Harden-  now that really would be a piece of revisionist history.  No, our man's career path was determined, in part, by an event in the Fourteenth Century., rather than the Liverpool Empire

10 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

His Great war career was partly determined by Windsor.

A reference to the Royals? To the future Duke of Windsor? Perhaps this is Rudolph Lambert, the Earl of Cavan, on whose First war staff the Prince of Wales served.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A reference to the Royals? To the future Duke of Windsor? Perhaps this is Rudolph Lambert, the Earl of Cavan, on whose First war staff the Prince of Wales served.

No, the Windsor connection is a lot more obscure and devious than merely knowing one of that family.  The Windsor connection is the place, not the squatters in that big old building in the main street.  So, thus, not Cavan.

A clue of a sort is that there is a French officer in the background of the photograph

15 hours ago, Uncle George said:

This photograph was taken in 1859. Who is he ? ? ?

Someone who cannot have been still alive in 1914, I suspect, and therefore INELIGIBLE for this thread!

Ron

10 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Someone who cannot have been still alive in 1914, I suspect, and therefore INELIGIBLE for this thread!

Ron

Not necessarily- The facial hair leads me to have a punt at Fred. Roberts  (1832-1914)

37 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

Not so, Ron.

26 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Not necessarily- The facial hair leads me to have a punt at Fred. Roberts  (1832-1914)

No. Here's the same chap in 1918:

image.jpg

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

A clue of a sort is that there is a French officer in the background of the photograph

Is this Milne? Placed as he was under French command in Salonika in 1917.

No, not Georgie Milne.   It's not Salonika. Or Gallipoli for that matter. Or Scunthorpe.

Here is another pic of him-admiring his handiwork.  No, this was not the consequence of a the West Ham Fan Club day-trip to The Shop. A bit further away....

image.png.ce77c5bae7480ebfb61952b76d2ff0aa.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

No, not Georgie Milne.   It's not Salonika. Or Gallipoli for that matter. Or Scunthorpe.

Here is another pic of him-admiring his handiwork.  No, this was not the consequence of a the West Ham Fan Club day-trip to The Shop. A bit further away....

image.png.ce77c5bae7480ebfb61952b76d2ff0aa.png

Is he London Air Defence Area commander and founder of the Royal Observer Corps Edward Ashmore?

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is he London Air Defence Area commander and founder of the Royal Observer Corps Edward Ashmore?

Alas, No-  a bit further away.   This goes with Windsor:

image.png.8c86849ef27b440e6cb084bdd65caf78.png

UG-   As it's Friday evening and this is stumping you a little, then a very direct clue-after which everything should fall into place. After all, don't want you going out and headbutting Devonport Column!!  :wub:

image.png.1776d16dab42d9fcf35f115ab724f048.png

and chuck in this as well:

image.png.65a6728c2ed5a2ecaee28add0d2c4067.png

Edited by Guest

At Tesco 3 for £5.25 until 30/7 online order only, there are some badges I do know MrV. I think I have put the rest into place, and come up with a name, but I will leave it for UG.

Still trying to work out the clues on UG’s latest submission.

59 minutes ago, Knotty said:

At Tesco 3 for £5.25 until 30/7 online order only, there are some badges I do know MrV. I think I have put the rest into place, and come up with a name, but I will leave it for UG.

I suspected the beer aspect would nail it fairly quickly.  ........Glug:wub:

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

I think I have put the rest into place, and come up with a name, but I will leave it for UG.

I'd be grateful if you could answer this one John - I've spent a lot of time on it, and got nowhere.

My chap is not a well-known figure; but he has an interesting story to tell. The armband he wears is described as a "red brassard". All of this corps wore it, and apparently it was not popular. It was "taken to represent a mark of inferiority". It was hoped that one day the corps "should be recognised as not altogether effete old 'has beens' only fit for the shelf or the fireside."

7 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I'd be grateful if you could answer this one John

It was the label that gave it away, it is from the Tsingtao Brewery. (Don’t ask but the in laws were heavily into the import of wine beers and spirits)

Tsingtao, although recognised as a Japanese defeat of the Germans, we did have a small contingent to observe led by Major-General Nathaniel Barnardiston.

Here is a link http://ww1.nam.ac.uk/stories/major-general-nathaniel-barnardiston/.

I will be honest here and say I cannot fathom out the Windsor link yet but MrV  will no doubt enlighten us.

Over to you MrV.........ps Nice WIT, very obscure, as to is your chap UG

OK- here goes.

Yes, it is Nathaniel Barnardiston- the British commander at Tsingtao in 1914 (hence the beer label- I thought that would pop the answer).  Seems to have been a competent enough Major-General but despite some promising staff appointments, never quite made the headlines. The picture-clipped- shows him at breakfast with some other Allied leaders, while the pic. of the destroyed gun emplacement showed that, potentially, Tsingtao could have been a problem- certainly not an "Ice-Cream War"  And a further picture of him with the Japanese commander thrown in as well.. Overall, hence the reference to a "bottle of beer"

The capture of Tsingtao was a complete success- unlike the landings at Gallipoli, hence the dig at Churchill.

As to Windsor- well, it was not that obscure overall- but I thought it would sidetrack people into the Royals.   After an undistinguished bout as a divisional commander on the Western Front, Barnardiston was from 1916 the head of the British Military Mission to Portugal. Portugal is our oldest ally and has been since the Fourteenth Century- hence the reference. The alliance was signed off by the Treaty of WINDSOR in 1386- and I put up a picture of the seal as a prompt. But WIT is an exercise in red-herrigs. Windsor did it's job and sidetracked you lot.

Barnardiston died in 1919-I think his health broke during the war, which probably prompted his posting to Portugal. But yet another of the seemingly endless stream of good solid colonels and lower-grade generals that the British produced aplenty  during our imperial era.

PS- and wholly  out of place for this Forum. I live close to Forest School in Snaresbrook, East London It's most distinguished "old boy" died on Wednesday-Squadron-Leader Geoffrey Wellum, DFC, the youngest of the RAF Spitfire pilots of the Battle of Britain. His memoir of it "First Light" is a classic of military writing- and I hope the Beeb will have the sense to repeat the excellent dramatised version  of it they did a few years back. He came across as a fine and modest English gentleman and the Beeb drama was superb.  OK, back to the Great War

And this fellow- I have been kind and not snipped the picture too much, so you can see he is a 6-Ringer, which narrows the choice.  Clues?   Again?  Bah, spoilt children.

OK-  Our man commanded a naval brigade-but not Crimea, Boer War or Boxer Rising.  He showed a very strong dislike for Radio Caroline. And at one point in his career, he had to move to Japan

image.png.2254a76e37a1f5c2756013d58a8be831.png