Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

HMS Prince of Wales did not have triple turrets for her main armament. It looks more like HMS Rodney.

Thanks Ron, I had no real idea, bit of a guess, in the mid 1930’s he was on HMS Rodney, got the tally

Thank Nepper, I have quite a bit of info on the action, and a book from the 1960’s called The Raiders with a chapter on it, there is also an Australian website  which has quite a detailed section on the action as there were a few Aussies.

Ahoy-Macs Web Log is the web site name.

1 hour ago, Nepper said:

No luck with finding anyone called Fondueset, Garlicpress or Grapefruitsegmenter! :-(

I did say "can be found in virtually every kitchen" which I seriously doubt could apply to any of those!

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

But to be found is one Alexander Fridge 201248, HLI.

And Alexander Grill G/35903, Duke of Cambridgeshire's Own.

Arthur Grater 241401, Devonshire Regiment.

None of those either, although the second is getting a bit warmer (though still not hot). 

I shall take pity on you all, and modify that to "can be found in virtually every larder".

Ron

Hmm-  Beginning to think  that the Kitchen arrangements at Chateau Clifton are somewhat bizarre.  Goodness only knows what horrors could be in the larder..............:wub:

John Loaf 9181, British West Indies Regiment;

John Joint 26154, Devonshire Regiment;

Mohd Jam 1444, 89th Punjabis;

Eustace Spread, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment;

Ernest O'Nion 034367, Army Ordnance Corps.

Edited by Uncle George

Ron

I hope you know the answer to this. In my lighthearted browsing I came across the attached (free to view on Ancestry). Ancestry transcribes this chap's 'Regiment or Corps' as "French Regiment". Any ideas? Perhaps he served in the French army, and was entitled to the French Victory Medal? 

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

On 27/07/2018 at 13:48, Uncle George said:

John Loaf 9181, British West Indies Regiment;

John Joint 26154, Devonshire Regiment;

Mohd Jam 1444, 89th Punjabis;

Eustace Spread, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment;

Ernest O'Nion 034367, Army Ordnance Corps.

I did say that he was in an English line regiment, which eliminates three of those plus Archibald Butter. It isn't either of the others, though.

Hmm-  Beginning to think  that the Kitchen arrangements at Chateau Clifton are somewhat bizarre.  Goodness only knows what horrors could be in the larder..............:wub:

My kitchen arrangements are perfectly normal, i.e. I don't have a fondue set, garlic press or grapefruit cutter. The point about changing "kitchen" to "larder" was to direct you all away from utensils and towards FOOD items.

Ron

FRX stands for French Red Cross I'm guessing he was an ambulance driver. He was awarded the  British War and Victory medals. 

41629_611411_5816-00096.jpg.af46db29f5092892151b91f0dcda82f8.jpg

How about 43835 Pte John Milk of the Norfolk Regiment?

3 minutes ago, Nepper said:

How about 43835 Pte John Milk of the Norfolk Regiment?

There were almost 3,000 Milks on the 1901 census. 

I have also potentially eliminated by virtue of there being way more than 40 on the 1901 census, all of the following:

Cheese, Onion, Ham, Sprout, Cabbage, Lettuce, Radish, Apple, Bean, Carrot, Parsnip, Turnip, Oil, Bacon.....

The closest I got to was Chips, of which there were just 33. A name which is now apparently extinct in this country.

Good one Ron, you're getting your money's worth out of this one that's for sure. 

50 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I did say that he was in an English line regiment, which eliminates three of those plus Archibald Butter. It isn't either of the others, though.

My kitchen arrangements are perfectly normal, i.e. I don't have a fondue set, garlic press or grapefruit cutter. The point about changing "kitchen" to "larder" was to direct you all away from utensils and towards FOOD items.

Ron

I shudder to think if you have the requisite kit for snail and lobster.  

Yes, GUEST, you have the right surname - well done!

Now to fit it to all the other clues ...

Ron

Percy William Eggs?

Well done, NF. Yes it is he - my maternal grandfather.

For the benefit of the other Pals, how did you eliminate the other three members of the Eggs family with MICs, who also served in English line regiments?

Ron

I have a very slow, plodding and dull approach Ron. He was just a lucky first guess. He was also just one of two on the 1911 census, so John would have been my next attempt.

Congratulations on inducting your grandfather into the W.I.T. Hall of fame. 👍

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

Good Morning

Like most on here I’m  still working on Ron’s wordy WIT, but if there is anybody still hankering for a photo challenge in the meantime, I came across this chap and what is his claim to the Great War “hall of fame”

5579C3A0-FE20-43A2-A5BB-DDB62B57D84E.jpeg

Clue:whistle: He’s across the pond

Being W.I.T.'s chief dumbo when it comes to uniforms, (and most other things come to that), his cap badge and fancy trimmings aren't telling me anything. I'll have to wait for further enlightenment from more learned members. 

I did spot the U.S. on his collar so quite pleased with that. 

And you missed the clue under his photo that he was from across the pond?

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

And you missed the clue under his photo that he was from across the pond?

That's about all I did glean from it John😊

I will let it ride a little longer before adding additional clues👍

Edited by Knotty

3 hours ago, ajsmith said:

FRX stands for French Red Cross I'm guessing he was an ambulance driver. He was awarded the  British War and Victory medals. 

41629_611411_5816-00096.jpg.af46db29f5092892151b91f0dcda82f8.jpg

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

I have a very slow, plodding and dull approach Ron. He was just a lucky first guess. He was also just one of two on the 1911 census, so John would have been my next attempt.

Congratulations on inducting your grandfather into the W.I.T. Hall of fame. 👍

Thanks NF. He was my last surviving grandparent, despite being a chain-smoker!

I mentioned in the original post that he became a bus conductor after the war. One day a new driver turned up at the garage and when he told them that his name was Bacon, he was immediately paired up with my grandad!

According to my aunt (his younger daughter) they think that all the Eggs names in the census are part of a single extended family.

Ron

51 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Thanks NF. He was my last surviving grandparent, despite being a chain-smoker!

I mentioned in the original post that he became a bus conductor after the war. One day a new driver turned up at the garage and when he told them that his name was Bacon, he was immediately paired up with my grandad!

According to my aunt (his younger daughter) they think that all the Eggs names in the census are part of a single extended family.

Ron

My last surviving grandparent was also a chain-smoker, but that said, 3 out of 4 of them were. My grandmother, who never smoked, was the first to go. It would seem that during the years of Woodbines and Senior Service, smoking wasn't bad for you like it is today.

I made a mistake in my last post when I said that the other male Eggs born in 1883 was John. I should have said George, who's father was John. 

I've had a quick look on the 1841 census, and see that the Eggs' are mostly split between Leicestershire and Hampshire, with just one; Charles, in Surrey, but then I'm sure that you've already done your own research. 

Family tree stuff is of great interest to me, and one of my lines I have managed to trace back to the 1500s. The most fascinating part of it all is discovering the plethora of trades/professions in one's family history. That, and the various locations from whence they came.

I'll bet there were smiles all around when there were Bacon and Eggs on the buses.😊

My chap, in post #10620, never personally received his final promotion which gave him his unique position.