Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

And this chap?      A much later photograph.    Served in France  as a Captain in the Great War and WazIristan just after.  He was a firm believer in  killing a wounded enemy and often wrote about the benefits of finishing an adversary off, preferably  cleanly with a single shot to the head

image.png.96ad3e6ba591a194099da0bc13af7293.png

Is he the man who was one of Princess Elizabeth's hosts at Treetops the night she ascended to the throne?  Naturalist and big game hunter Jim Corbett.  I can't find anything about his army service other than he had one but I'm guessing your clue about finishing wounded enemies refers to the game he shot rather than humans?

30 minutes ago, Nepper said:

Is he the man who was one of Princess Elizabeth's hosts at Treetops the night she ascended to the throne?  Naturalist and big game hunter Jim Corbett.  I can't find anything about his army service other than he had one but I'm guessing your clue about finishing wounded enemies refers to the game he shot rather than humans?

Spot on-   yes, Jim Corbett-   not a big game hunter as such but famed for sorting out the man eaters (most of whom were wounded and in pain anyway-shots or porcuplne quills). So he was  keen on making sure that wounded man eaters were trailed and finished off- or they would become more of a problem if in pain.

He raised 500 or so  Indian labourers and took them over to France during the Great War- Perhaps Lushai Labour Corps and he was a colonel for recruiting in the second.

Yes, he was at Treetops in Feb 52-and thought to be the first to use the phrase about HM that she went up to the tree-house a Princess and came down a queen. he was also a noted conservationist in both India and in Kenya, the country he retired to in old age.

Edited by Guest

A little pen portrait here. But who is he ? ? ?

"They might have been the eyes of a man who had watched with sleepless though furtive vigilance all the great drama that was being unfolded in that astounding new House of Commons, or they might have been just beautiful and shallow eyes that concealed no depths, because there were no depths to conceal. He stood for a moment aloof and silent, and the eyes retained their strange look of sombreness; on his face was a look of supreme boredom and contempt."

14 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A little pen portrait here. But who is he ? ? ?

"They might have been the eyes of a man who had watched with sleepless though furtive vigilance all the great drama that was being unfolded in that astounding new House of Commons, or they might have been just beautiful and shallow eyes that concealed no depths, because there were no depths to conceal. He stood for a moment aloof and silent, and the eyes retained their strange look of sombreness; on his face was a look of supreme boredom and contempt."

James Lowther?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

James Lowther?

Not him.

"He looked like a young man of fashion who had wandered into the House on his way back from Ascot ... He did not betray the slightest nervousness, but thrust his hands into his pockets and leaned with easy informality over the heads of the men in front of him. He surveyed the packed Liberal benches with sneering mouth and expression of profound distaste."

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Not him.

"He looked like a young man of fashion who had wandered into the House on his way back from Ascot ... He did not betray the slightest nervousness, but thrust his hands into his pockets and leaned with easy informality over the heads of the men in front of him. He surveyed the packed Liberal benches with sneering mouth and expression of profound distaste."

Oswald Mosley?

F.E.Smith making his maiden speech in the Commons, taken from a pen-portrait by Hutchins.

The pic- Oxfordshire Hussars- like WSC?

Edited by Guest

F.E.Smith making his maiden speech in the Commons, taken from a pen-portrait by Hutchins.

The pic- Oxfordshire Hussars- like WSC?

Effy making that celebrated speech - yes. First quote from T. P. O'Connor MP. Second quote from the text of his 1933 biography by his son. Photograph also from that biography:

https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.208101/2015.208101.Frederick-Edwin#page/n7/mode/2up

image.jpg

Effy served with the Indian Corps in France early in the war. He later (whilst Attorney-General) found himself under military arrest at St Omer, having been lifted whilst in the company of Churchill, W. He was interrogated by Macready, the BEF Adjutant General

A bizarre episode.

He used to use the toilets in the National Liberal Club during his daily walk between his chambers and Parliament. Eventually he was challenged by a club servant, and asked if he was a member.

"Good God!" he said, "do you mean to tell me this place is a club?

I think I witted him a couple of years ago with a photo of him in a railway carriage with WSC.

Not such a bad cove.

And this chap?    Only one clue with him (Yes, it is a him- none of this transgender/crossdressing nonsense)  :  He was very closely related  to Goring

image.png.3a0451feb1cc0a11e56e4665f0adfb18.png

17 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

... and a dead-ringer for Teddy Roosevelt.

Not Ted- Was he a close relation of Goring???????

Edited by Guest

I have looked at him for ages and I still think it’s a “younger” Count Ferdinand Von Zeppelin, I’m sure there was a family connection but it escapes me as what the relationship was.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

I have looked at him for ages and I still think it’s a “younger” Count Ferdinand Von Zeppelin, I’m sure there was a family connection but it escapes me as what the relationship was.

Alas No-  our man was not German. All I can say is that you won't like the Goring connection one little bit.   I have arranged for extra life insurance and armed police protection as a safeguard.

The US General Tasker Howard Bliss 1853-1930. His son was Lt Colonel Edgar Goring Bliss 1892-1972.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Another attendee at the Paris Peace Conference here. He has another thing in common with #10685: he wasn't German.

image.jpg

Another clue: he studied at the same college as Charles Darwin.

Ron

Thanks for the clue Ron, a bit of checking around and it turns out that it is a very young Jan Smuts (Christ’s College Cambridge) that UG has submitted.

Edited by Knotty

27 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Thanks for the clue Ron, a bit of checking around and it turns out that it is a very young Jan Smuts (Christ’s College Cambridge) that UG has submitted.

Yes indeed. Here's an assessment of Smuts at the Conference by, er, his son. (Photograph and quote from here: https://archive.org/stream/JcSmuts/SmutsJC#page/n0)

image.jpg

8 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The US General Tasker Howard Bliss 1853-1930. His son was Lt Colonel Edgar Goring Bliss 1892-1972.

TR

Well spotted Terry-    I thought is was a good red herring-    Saves me having to quote Wordsworth on the French Revolution- "Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive......"  etc

Yes, his son had the middle name Goring.  

20180802_061717.png.3e4735f320f31e9f93dbd213b15345ab.png

Following on from U.G.'s Smuts; this German chap had two things that were in common with Smuts, and one that was completely the opposite.

Why so hush hush???

Edited by neverforget

He looks a little like Botha in this image from Wikipedia. Botha also represented South Africa at the Peace Conference. But I can't really see Botha in Court Dress (or whatever that is). Or with that Order on his chest. So, almost certainly not him.

image.jpg