Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Quite an easy one.   (No-neither bar to the MM was for shooting the Lone Ranger)

Image result for Francis Pegahmagabow

He has appeared on WIT before, Mr. V, twice possibly. I know him so will leave him to be picked off by someone else. 

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

I’m guessing he also received a Battle of Amiens VC, maybe posthumously?

Private R M Beatham, 8 Bn AIF, won a posthumous VC at Amiens. The Register of the Victoria Cross has the date as 9 August. He died on 11 August.

Ron

36 minutes ago, neverforget said:

He has appeared on WIT before, Mr. V, twice possibly. I know him so will leave him to be picked off by someone else. 

Just so. One of the perils of WIT is repetition

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Just so. One of the perils of WIT is repetition

Indeed, but a quick search in the box at the top right of the page is a way of avoiding it. I have been guilty myself of this oversight on occasions.

16 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Private R M Beatham, 8 Bn AIF, won a posthumous VC at Amiens. The Register of the Victoria Cross has the date as 9 August. He died on 11 August.

Ron

Correct. Both V.Cs and both awarded for actions in the battle of Amiens within a couple of days of one another. Both were killed in the act of taking their second machine gun nest, in fact their citations are almost identical: 

"For most conspicuous bravery in attack when having become separated from his section he encountered a machine gun nest, which he bombed and silenced, taking the gun and crew prisoners. Shortly afterwards he was severely wounded, but refused to desist. Having rejoined his platoon, a very strong point, containing several machine guns, was encountered. Private Croak, however, seeing an opportunity, dashed forward alone and was almost immediately followed by the remainder of the platoon in a brilliant charge. He was the first to arrive at the trench line, into which he led his men, capturing three machine guns and bayonetting or capturing the entire garrison. The perseverance and valour of this gallant soldier, who was again severely wounded, and died of his wounds, were an inspiring example to all."

Private Beatham:

"For most conspicuous bravery and self-sacrifice during the attack north of Rosieres, east of Amiens, on 9th Aug., 1918. When the advance was held up by heavy machine gun fire, Pte. Beatham dashed forward, and, assisted by one man, bombed and fought the crews of four enemy machine guns, killing ten of them and capturing ten others, thus facilitating the advance and saving many casualties. When the final objective was reached, although previously wounded, he again dashed forward and bombed a machine gun, being riddled with bullets and killed in doing so. The valour displayed by this gallant soldier inspired all ranks in a wonderful manner."

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

NF- Put this man's name into the search facility on GWF and it did not come up at all for this thread.  There again, the man has a name, er, big clue here- well, a little unusual to spell. So my apologies if he has been up- but GWF search says not. personally, you are more likely to be right than the GWF software!!!:wub:

NF- Put this man's name into the search facility on GWF and it did not come up at all for this thread.  There again, the man has a name, er, big clue here- well, a little unusual to spell. So my apologies if he has been up- but GWF search says not. personally, you are more likely to be right than the GWF software!!!:wub:

I have performed a search, and  if he is who I think he is, and your latest clue convinces me further that he is, then he has indeed appeared here twice, though the first time was in the thread's previous incarnation. (Oh boy! That does make me feel like an old lag.)

I won't post the links as obviously that will expose him. 

On the other hand I could well be mistaken over his identity, it wouldn't be the first time, but his awards are quite uncommon. 

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

I have performed a search, and  if he is who I think he is, and your latest clue convinces me further that he is, then he has indeed appeared here twice, though the first time was in the thread's previous incarnation. (Oh boy! That does make me feel like an old lag.)

I won't post the links as obviously that will expose him. 

On the other hand I could well be mistaken over his identity, it wouldn't be the first time, but his awards are quite uncommon. 

358 or 378?

358 or 378?

This all begs the question, to which there is a very easy answer; who is this???

20180810_063359.png.3761199eb7fc104f568b266b2aa2a5a8.png

1 minute ago, Stoppage Drill said:

That’s the number of letters in his surname.

😁😁

Is there no-one willing to have a shot at solving GUESTS's chap.

If you nail him, mine will surely follow.

Hint re 10784: a skill shared with 10757.

Ron

9 hours ago, neverforget said:

This all begs the question, to which there is a very easy answer; who is this???

20180810_063359.png.3761199eb7fc104f568b266b2aa2a5a8.png

😁😁

The Canadian sniper - Cpl Henry Norwest,

Come on chaps, get on with it. What is thsi- National Shrinking Violet Day?

Big Clue- It aint Tonto

Francis Pegleg, or something like that!

5 minutes ago, Ghazala said:

The Canadian sniper - Cpl Henry Norwest,

Correct, Ghazala, well played. Norwest it is.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/those-who-served/aboriginal-veterans/native-soldiers/norwest

4 minutes ago, Ghazala said:

Francis Pegleg, or something like that!

You only get a prize if you spell it in full.....correctly....in cyrillic script. No slacking in the ranks!:wub:

Пегамагабо seeing as Cyrillic has no h and no w.

Russian O level 35 years ago still coming in handy ;)