Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I found a page about Red Cross fundraising in the war and strangely Tirpitz and his efforts don't feature in it.  You'd have thought a single sum of £1750 would have been worth a mention.

Tirpitz was auctioned off in November 1917 and the Chester Chronicle has quite an extensive report of the sale - the sale price was 400 guineas.  But it looks like his demise wasn't immediate as the following February the attached picture of him at the Ayr Red Cross show appeared in the Leeds Mercury.  It is captioned "Our picture shows the Marquis and Marchioness of Ailsa inspecting the famous porker".

Tirpitz.jpg

Hi UG

Am I right in assuming they come from the same family? The standing group visually look pretty much the same, as to the sitting group, but they look a bit older in appearance. (Fathers and Sons/Brothers)

On 20/09/2018 at 14:21, Nepper said:

Tirpitz was auctioned off in November 1917 and the Chester Chronicle has quite an extensive report of the sale - the sale price was 400 guineas..........

It appears that his final auction was in  November 1919, and his total raised from all is auctions amassed to £1785, according to wiki (pinch of salt applies)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirpitz_(pig)

You'd have thought that by a year after the end of the war they'd let sleeping pigs li(v)e.

29 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Am I right in assuming they come from the same family? 

Indeed so. And there was a seventh member:

image.jpg

This took me a while to trace, but I have identified them as the Canadian family the Bell-Irving’s. An incredible story, I have added this link showing a concise listing of all of the awards as it would make this a rather long reply

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/opinion+bell+irvings+family+heroes/10367471/story.html

The images are a newspaper page showing the without their sister, and more poignant the battlefield burial of Major Roderick Bell-Irving.

5ACE4CF1-89E9-4CEA-AF0C-4B7D51DE46BD.jpeg

2E8A54B4-2C1B-4A9D-BA32-919687290DB8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

This took me a while to trace, but I have identified them as the Canadian family the Bell-Irving’s. An incredible story, I have added this link showing a concise listing of all of the awards as it would make this a rather long reply

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/opinion+bell+irvings+family+heroes/10367471/story.html

The images are a newspaper page showing the without their sister, and more poignant the battlefield burial of Major Roderick Bell-Irving.

Correct on every point.

15 hours ago, Nepper said:

You'd have thought that by a year after the end of the war they'd let sleeping pigs li(v)e.

👍😀

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening gentlemen,

It has been sometime since I appeared on this thread, busy with another project, anyhow, who is this portrait of?

Clue :- He returned from India to take up his senior post

BDCB71E6-7584-4D60-9F5D-E216691BEE94.jpeg

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Good evening gentlemen,

It has been sometime since I appeared on this thread, busy with another project, anyhow, who is this portrait of?

Clue :- He returned from India to take up his senior post

BDCB71E6-7584-4D60-9F5D-E216691BEE94.jpeg

I don't recognise the uniform. Portuguese? Returned from Goa?

Sorry for delay UG, just picked up iPad.

The answer to your question is yes and yes, as I said it is a portrait not a photo,a marked difference in appearance in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Sorry for delay UG, just picked up iPad.

The answer to your question is yes and yes, as I said it is a portrait not a photo,a marked difference in appearance in my opinion.

The glasses and moustache (but little else!) suggest Tomás António Garcia Rosado.

29 minutes ago, Knotty said:

No not Da Costa, but he was both a politician and soldier.

Right then. How about this chap - Oscar Carmona?

image.jpg

Fernando Tamagnini de Abreu e Silva?

Welcome back nf, and no not ..... Silva, next clue he voluntarily exiled himself to London.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Welcome back nf, and no not ..... Silva, next clue he voluntarily exiled himself to London.

Is he Artur Ferraz?

UG, I’m afraid I have never heard that name, couldn’t find anything on the web either, have you any links?