Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Stoppage Drill

Who is This ? ? ?

Recommended Posts

Nepper
36 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think we've cracked it!

 

Juan Benlloch i Vivó, who was Bishop of Urgel, and therefore co-ruler of Andorra, from 1906 to 1919. For some reason Andorra was left out of the Treaty of Versailles and remained technically in a state of war with Germany until 1958.

 

Ron

Never thought of Andorra.  So still at war with Germany until 1958, a reality or more of a Berwick on Tweed extended Crimean conflict story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
26 minutes ago, Nepper said:

Never thought of Andorra.  So still at war with Germany until 1958, a reality or more of a Berwick on Tweed extended Crimean conflict story?

 

    It had,apparently, not dawned on the Germans in particular- Andorra was neutral in the Second World War, while the Germans might have invaded and occupied. It is probable that the Germans were aware of the glitch but neutral states have their uses in wartime-let alone one ruled jointly between a country occupied (France) and a fellow traveller (Francoist Spain)

   As for Berwick- I think the population is conducting  a vigorous  campaign against the German aggressor. I note that -according to Mr. Google- Berwick has Iceland,Asda, Tesco and Morrison (and Farmfoods-doesn't count as it is so hopeless)  BUT NOT  Aldi or Lidl. Obviously German plans for world conquest are running  scared of the continuing threat posed by Berwick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton
3 hours ago, Nepper said:

Never thought of Andorra.  So still at war with Germany until 1958, a reality or more of a Berwick on Tweed extended Crimean conflict story?

It was your query about San Marino which put me on the right track. There aren't many landlocked countries in Europe who were likely to be on the Allied side - Liechtenstein, like Switzerland, was neutral and that really only left Andorra.

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

It was your query about San Marino which put me on the right track. There aren't many landlocked countries in Europe who were likely to be on the Allied side - Liechtenstein, like Switzerland, was neutral and that really only left Andorra.

 

Ron

   Liectenstein was officially neutral but it used Austrian currency and the A-H government regulated its external relations- AH railways ran across Liectenstein without border controls-which,if I recollect,were also controlled by AH Customs. Thus, HMG took the view that it was not neutral and it was  blockaded.  After the war,Liectenstein changed over to the Swiss franc and much the same arrangements with a new best friend in Switzerland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60

 

   And this chap?     He stayed on through the war so that a British officer of the Regular Army could continue in place.  He did not come under fire during the war-  but he did shortly before when shot at by a very disgruntled local native.  who blamed him for taking away his job. Curiously, he had to deal with another uprising later in the war by some seriously unpleasant men- which led to his eventual resignation from post. No,it's not Nigel Davenport

 

image.png.d5ab0bccf9d72c6a2b55dfab1972d478.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton

Augustine Birrell, Chief Secretary for Ireland?

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Margaretnolan

What is the cross/medal/badge on his left?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
4 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Augustine Birrell, Chief Secretary for Ireland?

 

Ron

 

      Not Gus-  image.jpeg.4cdca59a6f615a005f6368d9ef704e5c.jpeg

 

 

 

     The order is, I believe, KCVO  which our chap had 

       A further clue-  he had a finger in many,many people's lives.:wub:

 

Edited by voltaire60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seaJane

Not Lord Woolton of the pie??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
51 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Not Lord Woolton of the pie??

 

     Alas, not Fred Marquis either (Shurely wrong war? Ed.)

 

     If you think about it, you should be able to put your finger on the answer. Mark, Dick and Warren should be able to guide you.

 

image.jpeg.057026cf20604e0ed54082471d605431.jpeg

Edited by voltaire60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
helpjpl
12 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

 

   And this chap?     He stayed on through the war so that a British officer of the Regular Army could continue in place.  He did not come under fire during the war-  but he did shortly before when shot at by a very disgruntled local native.  who blamed him for taking away his job. Curiously, he had to deal with another uprising later in the war by some seriously unpleasant men- which led to his eventual resignation from post. No,it's not Nigel Davenport

 

image.png.d5ab0bccf9d72c6a2b55dfab1972d478.png

 

Edward Richard Henry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Henry

 

Classification and Uses of Finger Prints, E.R. Henry, 1900:

https://archive.org/stream/classificationa01henrgoog#page/n4/mode/2up

 

JP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
19 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

 

Edward Richard Henry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Henry

 

Classification and Uses of Finger Prints, E.R. Henry, 1900:

https://archive.org/stream/classificationa01henrgoog#page/n4/mode/2up

 

JP

 

   BINGO!!   Not a serving officer of the armed forces-an ex- taxman from the Raj. But an effective head of the Met. He stayed on so that his designated successor, Macready, could in turn stay on as AG-though at the end of the war, he succeeded Henry anyway-forced into resignation after the police strike.  He was attacked and shot twice by an irate Black Cabbie (= disgruntled native)  who had been refused a licence. Henry pleaded to the court for clemency when the man was charged with attempted murder-subsequently sent to chokey for 15 years-after which Henry aided him with money to emigrate and start a new life (in the US,I believe-hopefully not as a New York cabbie). Henry was prominent in the introduction of fingerprinting- in its time as revolutionary for policing as DNA in our times.  Dick, Mark and Warren are,of course, all surnames of other holders of the commissioner's job.

     Though a civilian, he was,of course, heavily involved in many activities that form part of the history of the Great War- WRSC, Zeppelins, bombing,anti-German riots-the usual run of deserters and renegades, etc.

 

Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton
4 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Dick, Mark and Warren are,of course, all surnames of other holders of the commissioner's job.

The job was also held by Viscount Byng, Lord Trenchard and Sir William Horwood (who had been Provost-Marshal of the BEF).

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

The job was also held by Viscount Byng, Lord Trenchard and Sir William Horwood (who had been Provost-Marshal of the BEF).

 

Ron

   That would make it too easy Ron- the trick was that their surnames are also used as first names!  Just to mislead the unwary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60

  And this chap?

       No- not the founder of the Tommy Cooper Impersonator's Therapy Group.  A Great War veteran, lost the use of 2 fingers with a bullet in his arm.  Served with a Northern infantry regiment.  He was a Nazi spy in the Second World War.    And he has a connection to the actor Paul Bettany

 

 

image.png.db1e72251d5a5172d27e4d94310d3375.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60

and this is primarily for Ron Clifton:

 

Another Commissioner of the Met.with military connections . Which one?   The clue is below

Image result for gun carriage funeral queen victoria

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
13 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

George Zucco by any chance?

 

       Spot on- Someone was bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning susnshire!    But ,for the benefit, of the rest of the sloths, stay-abeds and assorted misfits, could you explain the Paul Bettany connection??????

Edited by voltaire60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Margaretnolan

As we speak no, not yet anyhow! Flying out the door so will check in later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Knotty

George Zucco played a Nazi spy when he starred  in “Sherlock Holmes in Washington” with Basil R., and post# 10241 I believe is a painting of Queen Victoria’s Funeral cortège. That’s my starting contribution........

 

I need to find out who Paul Bettany is before I can comment

ps I will label myself one of the assorted misfits.

 

Edited by Knotty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton
8 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

and this is primarily for Ron Clifton:

 

Another Commissioner of the Met.with military connections . Which one?   The clue is below

Image result for gun carriage funeral queen victoria

 

 

Colonel Sir Edward Bradford, Bt. The picture shows Queen Victoria's funeral.

 

I thought that 10240 was William Bendix!

 

Ron

 

Edited by Ron Clifton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Colonel Sir Edward Bradford, Bt. The picture shows Queen Victoria's funeral.

 

I thought that 10240 was William Bendix!

 

Ron

 

 

        Right funeral- wrong commissioner.   Just think Henry V-"The game's afoot"

 

    It would be a revelation indeed that William Bendix had served in a British infantry regiment. Given his rather noticeable accent, then  it would only happen if New York were still the capital of Royal America.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton

 

5 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Right funeral- wrong commissioner. 

 Are you sure, M Voltaire? This is from Wikipedia:

Colonel Sir Edward Ridley Colborne Bradford, 1st Baronet, GCB, GCVO, KCSI, ADC (27 July 1836 – 13 May 1911) was a British Indian Army officer who later served as Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, head of the London Metropolitan Police, from 1890 to 1903. Sir Edward Henry followed him, and we had Henry recently. The Queen's funeral was in February 1901.

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Margaretnolan

I Can’t make the connection to Paul Bethany Voltaire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voltaire60
31 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

 

 Are you sure, M Voltaire? This is from Wikipedia:

Colonel Sir Edward Ridley Colborne Bradford, 1st Baronet, GCB, GCVO, KCSI, ADC (27 July 1836 – 13 May 1911) was a British Indian Army officer who later served as Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, head of the London Metropolitan Police, from 1890 to 1903. Sir Edward Henry followed him, and we had Henry recently. The Queen's funeral was in February 1901.

 

Ron

 

     What you says is correct Ron- Alas, the WIT is nowhere near as simple as who was Commissioner when Queen Vic  popped her clogs?   A tiny bit more devious than than  that.  Sir Edward Radford would have to have been a devious man indeed with a double life to be Commissioner during those years-as our man  held the Queens South Africa Medal with 5 clasps and was mentioned in despatches by Lord Kitchener

 

    Should be easy enough to work out now    Probably the most morally straight Commissioner of the Twentieth Century

 

Pip,pip

Mike :wub:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...