Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Stoppage Drill

Who is This ? ? ?

neverforget
6 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Yes it is. The Arthur Askey connection of course is to his collaborator 'Stinker' Murdoch. Image from here:

https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/murdoch_keith_arthur_sir

"Ay-Thang-Yaw"

I see that Arthur Askey's wiki page misleadingly describes him as a comedian. 

Edited by neverforget

neverforget

Who is this lady. Starred in a WW1 themed film. For her part in WW1 was both awarded the O.B.E. and received 15 years in the clink.

20180515_180310.jpg.a513cdb63bd5bbe49c9ceceeb13c1e43.jpg

voltaire60

Lady Rhondda?

neverforget
On 15/05/2018 at 22:12, voltaire60 said:

Lady Rhondda?

No not her. 

She was actually sentenced to death but received a reprieve. 

Strong link to the Old Contemptibles, and a much more well known heroine.

Edited by neverforget

voltaire60

Louise Thuliez?

neverforget
11 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Louise Thuliez?

Frayed knot. 

Born in Ireland.

neverforget

She played the part of herself in the film I mentioned. (No pun intended).

seaJane

Something to do with Edith Cavell?

Knotty

This lady took some finding NF, she is Ada Bodart, friend, acquaintance and member of the same underground network as Edith Cavell. Arrested by the Germans at the same time, she was sentenced to 15 years hard labour, Cavell was given the death sentence. She played herself in a 1920’s film depicting the story of Cavell

http://www.newulsterbiography.co.uk/index.php/home/viewPerson/2141

And seaJane has just pipped me to the post.

neverforget

Ada Bodart it is. 

"Sunderland Daily Echo – 12 November 1935:

MONS VETERANS’ VISIT TO HOSPITAL

“Madame Ada Bodart, the Irish woman by birth who helped Nurse Cavell to secure the escape of many men lost behind the German lines in 1914, is ill in hospital, says Reuter’s Mons correspondent.

She is the “godmother” of the Old Contemptibles’ Association, and Mons Veterans of the Duchy of Cornwall, now on an Armistice pilgrimage to Belgium, hurried to her bedside on learning of her illness.

Madame Bodart, who was formerly Miss Doherty, usually accompanies the Old Contemptibles to Mons on Armistice Day.

There was a touching scene as the little group of Mons Veterans, wearing their medals, stood by her bedside and expressed their wishes for her speedy recovery.

Last year one of the Old Contemptibles gave Madame Bodart his Mons Star, saying: “You deserve it as much as I do.” (Reuter).”

Born Anna Maria Doherty on 22 July 1874 at Newry in County Down, Ada Bodart had been part of the network that had sheltered allied soldiers trapped behind German lines in Belgium and aided them to escape into neutral Holland. A close friend of Edith Cavell, Bodart had accompanied fugitive soldiers by train to Haecht, from where they then made their way on foot to the Dutch frontier. Sentenced to fifteen years’ hard labour by the Germans in October 1915, Bodart was appointed as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) in 1919, in recognition of her part in aiding servicemen to escape from behind enemy lines during the Great War. She also received decorations from the Belgian and French governments.

Ada Bodart O.B.E. died at Brussels on 6 February 1936.

David Ridgus

Lovely to dip back into my favourite thread and see it still steaming ahead with the mix of wit and wisdom that has always been it's trademark. Half term coming up so hope to get involved in the action a bit (although haven't had a clue about any of the folk over the last few pages so I may be being a tad optimistic!)

David

Fattyowls
3 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

haven't had a clue about any of the folk over the last few pages.....

Join the club. Notwithstanding the paraphrase of Groucho Marx's gag and repeated by Woody Allen of course. And not the one about what the elephant was doing in his pyjamas.....

Pete.

P.S. I did enjoy the kicking that Arthur Askey's reputation got however.

voltaire60
2 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

so hope to get involved in the action a bit

Don't you worry- We are searching the records of Bulgarian,Serbian and Roumanian battalion commanders to find one with a connection to Berkshire....

Uncle George
13 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

Lovely to dip back into my favourite thread and see it still steaming ahead with the mix of wit and wisdom that has always been it's trademark. Half term coming up so hope to get involved in the action a bit (although haven't had a clue about any of the folk over the last few pages so I may be being a tad optimistic!)

David

image.jpg

David Ridgus
17 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Don't you worry- We are searching the records of Bulgarian,Serbian and Roumanian battalion commanders to find one with a connection to Berkshire....

And if there is one the inmates of this thread will find him!

6 hours ago, Uncle George said:

image.jpg

UG - I just wish I could be sure all my colleagues would see the joke here. I am afraid some would not realise there was anything wrong, and on the other side would be the pedants who would point out that a misplaced apostrophe is not actually a grammatical error but one of spelling!

David

Uncle George

This chap is said to have served at the front as a private soldier, aged 13 or so. But I have me doubts ...

image.jpg

voltaire60

And by popular demand........

Nikola Nedev portrait.jpg

By the look of him, he was doing impersonations of Kaiser Bill on the Northern club circuit. For some inexplicable reason,  his Elvis  take off didn't work with that moustache.

Edited by voltaire60

Fattyowls
34 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

In the words of the great sage and philospop filosof phillopp thinker of Little Hulton*1, Sean Ryder - because we're 24 Hour Party People*2.

Pete.

*1 Little Hulton is on the northern club circuit.

*2 Written by Frank Cotterell-Boyce - who shops at our local Sainsbury's (now I know what you are thinking - Pete, you are a terrible name dropper, and your right, in fact the Duchess of Cambridge said exactly the same thing to me a couple of weeks ago......

MV, your last looks like my idea of Roderick Spode, it isn't of course but it should be........

Uncle George
5 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

By the look of him, he was doing impersonations of Kaiser Bill on the Northern club circuit. For some inexplicable reason,  his Elvis  take off didn't work with that moustache.

He is Count Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, from that 'Abdul the Bulbul Emir' advert for Whitbread Best (seen here on YouTube):

https://youtu.be/HyRtk92gPdU

image.jpg

voltaire60
13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

MV, your last looks like my idea of Roderick Spode, it isn't of course but it should be......

Not wearing shorts.  Nor any known connection with large amounts of ladies lingerie.

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Alas no- though you are a bit closer. That song was a popular ballad at the time of Crimean War. So apart from wrong country and wrong war- and out by a minimum of 58 years, it was a perfect answer

Uncle George
1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

He is soldier and historian Nikola Nedev - he wrote of Bulgaria's role in the war, including the Battles  of Horseshoe Hill and Doiran, in which a battalion of the Royal Berkshire Regiment distinguished itself.

Edited by Uncle George

David Ridgus
6 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is soldier and historian Nikola Nedev - he wrote of Bulgaria's role in the war, including the Battles  of Horseshoe Hill and Doiran, in which a battalion of the Royal Berkshire Regiment distinguished itself.

Not for the first time, I tip my hat to you UG - you are truly the Wizard of WIT

David

Knotty
3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

This chap is said to have served at the front as a private soldier, aged 13 or so.

It is Prince Leopold later King Leopold III of Belgium, born in 1901 he was 13 at the outbreak of war, allegedly with the 12th Regiment of the Line but at 14 he was sent to Eton for his education in preparation for when he became King.

http://madmonarchist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/monarch-profile-king-leopold-iii-of.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_III_of_Belgium

voltaire60
2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Exactly so-  Young Ridgus had to be worried-though a search of Mr.W.I.Kipedia's Erudition Machine shows that pictures of Bulgarian officers of the Great War are somewhat limited.  And they all seem to be related to one another. Obviously a Kaiser Bill lookalike moustache-growing competition was a staple of family reunions.

And, yes, the Berkshire connection is there- 7th Berkshires, New Armies, served in Macedonia. CWGC has 204  casualties of the battalion listed,  the greatest number being at Karasouli War Cemetery with 56. It was close to the casualty clearing stations at Doiran and has a number of graves concentrated from other "soldiers plots" after the war. I doubt that war cemeteries for the British involvement in Macedonia are either as well-known and or visited as any on the Western Front.

voltaire60
5 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

UG - I just wish I could be sure all my colleagues would see the joke here. I am afraid some would not realise there was anything wrong, and on the other side would be the pedants who would point out that a misplaced apostrophe is not actually a grammatical error but one of spelling!

David

Yes, I have fallen foul of it on GWF.  It has subsequently provided good fodder for spoken pub quiz questions set by Your Humble- where the apostrophe comes in useful eg

What links the following Underground stations- Gants Hill, Arnos Grove and Golders Green- but excludes Earl's Court.  A list of all Undergorund stations can keep a pure pedant busy for days.

Edited by voltaire60